3DS circle pad wearing out...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 rubber-chicken
Member since 2009 • 2081 Posts

I have a 3DS XL. I was playing Dark Moon today, and of course this game heavily uses the circle pad for sucking up ghosts and stuff. As I was playing, I lifted my thumb off of the analog stick and noticed that it became kinda yellow (used to be gray). It has no friction like it used to. I'm used to the fact that the circle pad loses its friction because I experienced this with my old 3DS, but I never really noticed the discoloration until now. Has anyone else experienced this, or do I just have bad luck?

BIGD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 BIGD3D
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts

Try cleaning it off

rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 rubber-chicken

Try cleaning it off

BIGD3D
Tried that, I don't think that it got dirty... I don't see how my hands could be that gross to begin with. :P
BIGD3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 BIGD3D
Member since 2011 • 33 Posts

If it's really bad you might want to get it replaced

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

That sounds annoying. I only have the 3DS normal, so I'm not too familiar with the XL. But I'd definitely get it sent off for repair. 

Sushi_Bean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Sushi_Bean
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts
I'm glad I found your post as the same thing happened to my beloved Animal Crossing 3DS XL. I always wash my hands before playing and have been taking such good care of it. It's really bothering me. I'm not sure if I should send it in for repair as I don't know if it's a fault or not. I ended up buying some circle pad covers from Japan to stop it getting worse. I would also like to know if anyone else has this problem.
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts

Your skin secretes oils and the pad is textured so the oil can get trapped in the texture of the pad. Get a paper towel and dampen it with rubbing alcohol to rub on the top of the pad. Rub it in pretty good, but don't push so hard on the stick that you might break it. Then use a dry part of the paper towel to dry it and see how that feels.

Alternatively, there are some covers, but it seems you have to import them and I have no comment about their quality.

http://home.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859011931.html

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TVG-3DS-01233

Sushi_Bean

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Sushi_Bean
Member since 2013 • 25 Posts

Your skin secretes oils and the pad is textured so the oil can get trapped in the texture of the pad. Get a paper towel and dampen it with rubbing alcohol to rub on the top of the pad. Rub it in pretty good, but don't push so hard on the stick that you might break it. Then use a dry part of the paper towel to dry it and see how that feels.

Alternatively, there are some covers, but it seems you have to import them and I have no comment about their quality.

http://home.cybergadget.co.jp/products/4544859011931.html

http://www.amiami.com/top/detail/detail?scode=TVG-3DS-01233

guynamedbilly
Thanks for the tip! Have you tried this yourself? I really want to give this a go but I'm a bit worried about using rubbing alcohol as I've heard it can corrode rubber :( The covers from amiami are the ones I ordered but in pink! :)
Avatar image for deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
deactivated-57e5de5e137a4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-57e5de5e137a4
Member since 2004 • 12929 Posts
I haven't done it on the 3DS, but I did have to do it on my PS3 controller and it worked fine. Buying a replacement cover would probably be the best way to go though because they look like they offer better grip than the default pad anyways.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 rubber-chicken
Buying a replacement cover would probably be the best way to go though because they look like they offer better grip than the default pad anyways.guynamedbilly
I would be kinda worried about closing the 3DS with the rubber attachment, because it would probably touch the top and might not even let it close properly.
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
That's ok, when my thumb gets sweaty, the rubber piece likes to come off the circle stick. I have to place it back every time.
rubber-chicken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 rubber-chicken
That's ok, when my thumb gets sweaty, the rubber piece likes to come off the circle stick. I have to place it back every time.BigBen11111
Umm, as in, it actually comes off? :| How is that possible?
BigBen11111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BigBen11111
Member since 2003 • 1529 Posts
Not too sure, it happen a year or less ago. Maybe it wasn't glue in place properly or something. But yeah it comes off every now & then. But it's no biggy, just as long I don't lose it.
Avatar image for AbstractRadical
AbstractRadical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 AbstractRadical
Member since 2013 • 632 Posts
I have not had that problem with my 3DS.
Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I have not had that problem with my 3DS.AbstractRadical

Same here, not with my XL. Original started to get a bit yellow but then I sold it :P