Lenovo stops selling some small-screen Win tablets in U.S.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts

I say things like, "Don't argue with unrealized potential," and "I'll care once it makes a meaningful impact on the market." Welp -- this is why.

Lenovo stops selling small-screen Windows tablets in the U.S. due to lack of demand

Lenovo has stopped selling Windows tablets with screen sizes under 10 inches in the U.S. due to lack of interest.

Lenovo has stopped selling two small-screen Windows tablets with 8-inch screens: the ThinkPad 8, which was announced in January and a model of Miix 2, which started shipping in October last year.

Credit PCWorld

I don't say the sorts of things I do for the sake of avoiding a conversation. I don't say the things I do for the sake of hiding behind the illusion that I know I'm wrong. I say things that I do because I mean them. Regardless of how capable one believes a Windows flavored tablet may be, it seems the demand is non-existent and has therefore made no meaningful impact on the market. It's obsolete. DOA. There is no fire where there is no smoke.

At this point in time, Apple completely and totally owns and operates the post-PC market. The mighty Microsoft, after axing 18k jobs, looks about as strong as tissue paper in a hurricane.

EDIT: Corrected grammatical errors, and edits for clarity.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

There is a demand in the US for 8" Windows tablets, just not for tablets from Lenovo.

The Dell Venue 8 Pro is the popular choice (by far), it's also had a tendency to sell for less than Lenovo tablets.

The ThinkPad 8, is a very niche consumer device (even for enterprise), and with a $400 starting price, the $180~$250 Dell with slightly lower specs has much higher appeal. The Dell also has an optional, although low performance, active stylus. The ThinkPad 8 has no optional active digitizer.

Dell isn't the only one in the 8" segment, ASUS has their M80T, which comes with a Wacom active digitizer / stylus for $250~$300.

There are also 8" offerings from other companies such as Toshiba and Acer.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By NVIDIATI

Lenovo Newsroom

Clarification on Lenovo Statement on Sales of Small Screen Windows-Based Tablets
We will continue to bring new Windows devices to market across different screen sizes, including a new 8-inch tablet and 10-inch tablet coming this holiday. Our model mix changes as per customer demand, and although we are no longer selling ThinkPad 8 in the U.S., and we have sold out of Miix 8-inch, we are not getting out of the small-screen Windows tablet business as was reported by the media. In short, we will continue to sell both 8 and 10 inch Windows tablets in both the U.S. and non-U.S markets.

It sounds like Lenovo has Intel Cherry Trail and / or Intel Core M devices planned for the holiday season.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: They'll still sell like expired milk. What percentage of the marketplace does Windows powered tablets own? What percentage of internet usage can be attributed to Windows tablets? Has it eclipsed 1% yet? Serious question.

EDIT: I realize reading this again that my "Serious question." bit may be a little too dry via text to be recognizable as a joke. But Windows tablet marketshare is still indeed a joke. That we know.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 NVIDIATI

@musicalmac: I haven't been keeping up with the market share or sales, but according to Strategy Analytics (if they're to be believed), Windows tablet market share was at 5.8% in Q1 2014 with 3.4 million units shipped in that quarter.

You might want to update the thread to best reflect Lenovo's true intentions as outlined in their press release.

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 musicalmac  Moderator

@NVIDIATI: Indeed, updated.

In a perfect world, people will stop buying cheap android tablets and only buy iPads and Windows powered tablets. We'll see what happens.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

I wonder how Yogas sales stack up pure Windows tablets for Lenov.