Help me decide guys!

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Its going to be either the HTC One x or The one xl.. i need a lot of convincing as im struggling to pick which one is the one i want.

Any info on a battery comparison between the 2 is also useful, i can't seem to find one.

Anyhow what do you guys believe the better handset is and why, its coming out in australia in just over a week (2nd of april).

I shall ask the geniuses of the board for help.

Fire away.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mystic_knight
Benefits of One XL 4G LTE a15 snapdragon s4 (dual core) Benefits of one x Tegra 3 (includes companion core for low power although tegra 3 runs at 40nm vs s4 28nm) (better GPU) 32gb storage vs 16gb
NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

Benefits of One XL 4G LTE a15 snapdragon s4 (dual core) Benefits of one x Tegra 3 (includes companion core for low power although tegra 3 runs at 40nm vs s4 28nm) (better GPU) 32gb storage vs 16gbmystic_knight
Wait, I don't think Tegra 3's GPU is better than the Adreno 225.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Benefits of One XL 4G LTE a15 snapdragon s4 (dual core) Benefits of one x Tegra 3 (includes companion core for low power although tegra 3 runs at 40nm vs s4 28nm) (better GPU) 32gb storage vs 16gbNVIDIATI

Wait, I don't think Tegra 3's GPU is better than the Adreno 225.

It is all the reviews indicated as much. The problem with the comparison is they compare one x with one s and they work on 2 different resolutions.
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Fandangle
Member since 2003 • 3433 Posts

On things like that I usually go with the one with a SD slot.

If both have them then toss a coin.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#6 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

If you have 4G in Australia then the XL is obviously the better option.

The little differences in GPU performance is irrelevant with android.

And as far as I am concerned better cores >>> more cores.

With that said there is one thing in favour of the one X which is that the tegra always gets the best support for games doesnt matter if it's most powerful or not.

EDIT: Oh seems like the XL only has 16GB with no microSD. Well now thats a personal thing really how much you need, it is certainly a deal breaker for many people. I have a nexus S with 16GB and no SD card slot and I never had a problem with it. But my phone only does 480p video recording, with 1080p it is a whole different story it can eat up 16GB in no time. So thats really for you to decide, if you dont do heavy video recording then 16GB should be fine. Plus with 4G you can more conveniently use cloud storage.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight

If you have 4G in Australia then the XL is obviously the better option.

The little differences in GPU performance is irrelevant with android.

And as far as I am concerned better cores >>> more cores.

With that said there is one thing in favour of the one X which is that the tegra always gets the best support for games doesnt matter if it's most powerful or not.

EDIT: Oh seems like the XL only has 16GB with no microSD. Well now thats a personal thing really how much you need, it is certainly a deal breaker for many people. I have a nexus S with 16GB and no SD card slot and I never had a problem with it. But my phone only does 480p video recording, with 1080p it is a whole different story it can eat up 16GB in no time. So thats really for you to decide, if you dont do heavy video recording then 16GB should be fine. Plus with 4G you can more conveniently use cloud storage.

Gambler_3

Honestly the storage was my biggest issue ith the one xl.

I have 50gb box account and htc partnered up with drop box giving me another 25gb, so i have 75gb in cloud storage. If the one xl had the 32gb storage i wouldnt be in the dilemma i am in right now... the cpu cores i agree with you, better cores>> more cores, and to be honest i dont really game on my phones so game support is not that important, in saying that there has never been a game that the snapdragon hasn't supported yet on my desire hd. so im fairly confident the s4 will be fairly capable.

I think the One xl seems like the better all around phone but the storage :cry: also im not sure if companion core of tegra 3 will conserve more battery than the the s4 for every day use.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#8 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
And as far as I am concerned better cores >>> more coresGambler_3
THANK YOU. I've gotten sick and tired of the people complaining that the XL only has a dual core instead of a quad core. Even on XDA, I'm seeing this trend. Goes to show that the "MOAR CORES" technique is working disturbingly well.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

4G isn't even viable in Australia, unless your with Telstra and regularely in the CBD.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

for what its worth, the tegra 3 is outperformed by the Krait in the XL.

Also holy hell Nvidia that's incredibly embarassing.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mystic_knight

for what its worth, the tegra 3 is outperformed by the Krait in the XL.

Also holy hell Nvidia that's incredibly embarassing.

semianonymous

That is pretty bad, .. got any links. Im curious to see the results now.

Edit- Link

Now only to wait and see battery performance, hopefully they release that before the launch.

DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

According to PC World, the One XL has 1800 mAh battery life

But it looks like the One X also has 1800 mAh.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Gambler_3

DroidPhysX

Well thats been known for a while, I think what he means is which chipset is more efficient.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

Gambler_3

Well thats been known for a while, I think what he means is which chipset is more efficient.

Yep. This, sorry i should have been more clear.
DroidPhysX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 DroidPhysX
Member since 2010 • 17098 Posts

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Well thats been known for a while, I think what he means is which chipset is more efficient.

mystic_knight

Oops. Now I know what you mean.

Don't know if it helps but I found this comparison between Snapdragon and tegra 3 on the phones.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Well thats been known for a while, I think what he means is which chipset is more efficient.

DroidPhysX

Don't know if it helps but I found this comparison between Snapdragon and tegra 3 on the phones.

Thanks, it doesnt really detail how much battery each soc will consume on the same tasks... if no results come prior and the are both priced similarly i will go the One XL. but i will not rule out either one as they are both very similar in the end.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"] Yep. This, sorry i should have been more clear.mystic_knight

Thanks, it doesnt really detail how much battery each soc will consume on the same tasks... if no results come prior and the are both priced similarly i will go the One XL. but i will not rule out either one as they are both very similar in the end.

in theory, the answer to that will universally be 50%. Krait is based off of A15, which, among other things, uses 50% less power than the A9-based Tegra3.

That said, I pretend to have absolutely no knowledge at this time about how well tegra handles its battery life, how the 4+1 effects battery life on individual apps, etc etc. Realistically, the krait will probably win, but I'm guessing it wont be by a dramatic amount

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="DroidPhysX"] Oops. Now I know what you mean.

semianonymous

in theory, the answer to that will universally be 50%. Krait is based off of A15, which, among other things, uses 50% less power than the A9-based Tegra3.

That said, I pretend to have absolutely no knowledge at this time about how well tegra handles its battery life, how the 4+1 effects battery life on individual apps, etc etc. Realistically, the krait will probably win, but I'm guessing it wont be by a dramatic amount

That was my thoughts exactly the 28nm chip should use a lot less than the 40nm but the companion core might be more battery friendly for every day tasks. Im just so excited to be getting this phone, im like a little kid right now, every day im looking on the internet for new news and pricing
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mystic_knight
So the One X is already on sale at Vodafone, spoke to telstra about the One XL and they still have no idea what it is, meaning its not in their system, should i just go for the One X continue to wait for the One XL, Telstra has much better coverage and 4g as well ?
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts
So the One X is already on sale at Vodafone, spoke to telstra about the One XL and they still have no idea what it is, meaning its not in their system, should i just go for the One X continue to wait for the One XL, Telstra has much better coverage and 4g as well ?mystic_knight
Unless your always in the city or CBD, I wouldn't bother with 4g, its not that great yet...
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 mystic_knight
I got the One X, i shall see how it goes, if the performance if the network is poor than i will demand a refund, but the phone is fanbloodytastic. The reviews have been positives with 9's all around. the camera is instantaneous with beautiful shots. Crustal clear display thanks to the IPS 720p super lcd 2. I have not held a device as truly beautiful as this in my entire life. I can not recommend this enough.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Gambler_3

I got the One X, i shall see how it goes, if the performance if the network is poor than i will demand a refund, but the phone is fanbloodytastic. The reviews have been positives with 9's all around. the camera is instantaneous with beautiful shots. Crustal clear display thanks to the IPS 720p super lcd 2. I have not held a device as truly beautiful as this in my entire life. I can not recommend this enough.mystic_knight
Yes I totally agree HTC has made a truly remarkable device. Enjoy your new phone. :)

I was never an HTC fan but I am now because HTC has overcome 2 of their biggest weaknesses, the display and the camera are now top notch.

Samsung will have to do something truly special with the S3 if they want to continue to dominate the market like the S2 did.

The only thing I am dissapointed is that perhaps there could have been a bigger battery version like the razr maxx.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]I got the One X, i shall see how it goes, if the performance if the network is poor than i will demand a refund, but the phone is fanbloodytastic. The reviews have been positives with 9's all around. the camera is instantaneous with beautiful shots. Crustal clear display thanks to the IPS 720p super lcd 2. I have not held a device as truly beautiful as this in my entire life. I can not recommend this enough.Gambler_3

Yes I totally agree HTC has made a truly remarkable device. Enjoy your new phone. :)

I was never an HTC fan but I am now because HTC has overcome 2 of their biggest weaknesses, the display and the camera are now top notch.

Samsung will have to do something truly special with the S3 if they want to continue to dominate the market like the S2 did.

The only thing I am dissapointed is that perhaps there could have been a bigger battery version like the razr maxx.

Whole heartedly agree. The battery was a little sad, especially since this beautiful phone can not take advantage of the companion core.. (Blame that gorgeous screen). If it was able to manage with the companion core i am pretty sure it would have lasted a little longer than the stated time. I would like to see if it outlasts my desire hd. i should do a few tests.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Gambler_3

WTF is the point of the companion core if it cant run 720p resolution? What did nvidia think that companies would put a quad core chip in phones with low resolution? :?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 mystic_knight

WTF is the point of the companion core if it cant run 720p resolution? What did nvidia think that companies would put a quad core chip in phones with low resolution? :?

Gambler_3
LCD is typically power hungry as well, it may be more beneficial on a SAMOLED screen.