Galaxy s3 announcement

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts

Hey guys the long awaited galaxy s3 should be announced in less than 10 hours.

Whats everyones thoughts on the phone? What do you expect it to have? How do you think it will fair to the current king The One X/EVO 4g LTE

Keep all discussion here.

Here is the engadget live blog.

If someone knows of a video feed, let me know so that i can link it up on the OP.

Rumoured to be the real phone

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

It'll rip the One X a new one.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mystic_knight

It'll rip the One X a new one.

GTR12
:P I don't think so, i think the battle will be closer than you think.
mjc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 mjc  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 12723 Posts
I'll be keeping an eye on it. I'm hoping it's a beast that runs ICS as smooth as silk.
Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

i want to get it to replace my zunes(microsofts mp3 players) since the battery is dying and it looks like a pain of the ass to replace the batteries on it. hopefully the unlocked version isnt too expensive. how long will it take btw, for the unlocked versions to be release?

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20251 Posts

I hope it comes to Verizon, I am due for an upgrade

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GTR12

i want to get it to replace my zunes(microsofts mp3 players) since the battery is dying and it looks like a pain of the ass to replace the batteries on it. hopefully the unlocked version isnt too expensive. how long will it take btw, for the unlocked versions to be release?

TheShadowLord07
Cant you just buy from overseas? there will always be places where its unlocked from day 1
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheShadowLord07

[QUOTE="TheShadowLord07"]

GTR12

Cant you just buy from overseas? there will always be places where its unlocked from day 1

well i'll probably buy from yesasia depending on the price.

red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts

TheShadowLord07
Expect it to be around 600-700 unlocked during launch time. That's how much other high profile phones like the one x and xperia s were.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mystic_knight
The phone picture is as the latest rumours indicated.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mystic_knight
Specs are far too similar to the HTC One X. "it's Samsung's new 1.4GHz Exynos 4 Quad processor doing the legwork, and there's 1GB of RAM to help it out. The display has been bumped up in size to a 4.8-inch HD Super AMOLED affair, sporting a 1280 x 720 pixel count. Happy snappers will have an 8-megapixel rear shooter to play with, and a 1.9-megapixel eye on the front will take care of those video calls. If you were wondering about radios, it's launching with HSPA+, but there's an LTE version in the cards. " To be honest HTC one x users should not feel upset because samsung is now copying HTC's form factor and specs instead of apples :P (although im kidding the specs are far too similar)
red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
Meh. The One X looks better. SLCD2 > SAMOLED imo. If you live in the US, SoC specs will be a loss because they'll both be a Qualcomm S4 version of the international versions.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mystic_knight

Meh. The One X looks better. SLCD2 > SAMOLED imo. If you live in the US, SoC specs will be a loss because they'll both be a Qualcomm S4 version of the international versions.red12355
:P I know that but lets just play nice for the samsung lovers.

In saying that id prefer the s4 over the tegra 3 for the one x. The exynos may have a little advantage in the battery + performance department over the s4.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mystic_knight
:( Samsung gets this one "comes in 16gb, 32gb and 64gb with expandable sd card slot."
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -4

#15 Gambler_3
Member since 2009 • 7736 Posts

Thank you samsung for not running after the thinness race and going for big battery, removable battery, SD card slot and I assume regular sim slot as well. And expect the chipset to be much faster than one X, it's 32nm and the GPU is better than tegra 3.

BUT the screen is pentile, I suppose they have hit a roadblock with the SAMOLED technology. If you cant make an HD RGB screen why dont you make a lower resolution plus screen? Why fool the customers into thinking it is an HD screen? Anyways I really hope this doesnt suffer with the same quality control issues as galaxy nexus and is not a dim otherwise one X screen shall remain king.

I am not surprised about the camera being similar to S2, there isnt just room anymore to improve on the quality of camera on such thin phones. The only phones that have better camera than S2 are considerably thicker.

Now for my biggest problem WHY THE F*CK IS IT 4.8"?????? What are you doing samsung? Where is the small screen high end phone?

And the one X easily takes the design contest, it's as thin and lightweight but a much attractive design. Oh well maybe samsung is about to lose some market share, HTC sure deserves some this time.

WiiRocks66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 WiiRocks66
Member since 2007 • 3488 Posts

I was a bit disappointed and I'm glad I went with the Nexus. I don't like the One series either. I have an upgrade on June 1st, but I'll definitely be sticking with the Nexus for awhile.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Not sure whether to get the S3 or the One X now.

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

Kinda disappoiting, was really expecting something shattering. Oh well, makes me feel that less jealous.

Lu-Kang

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Lu-Kang
Member since 2007 • 1010 Posts

ehhh im fine with my GSII

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#20 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

Why fool the customers into thinking it is an HD screen?

Gambler_3

Because it is an HD screen with the caveat of having an unusual subpixel layout. Besides, at 720p, you wont really se able to tell its pentile

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

Why fool the customers into thinking it is an HD screen?

semianonymous

Because it is an HD screen with the caveat of having an unusual subpixel layout. Besides, at 720p, you wont really se able to tell its pentile

HD resolution is all about microscopic details which the S3 obviously wont provide. It's not about whether you can see it or not it's about principle and I have always found pentile matrix to be a thoroughly misleading act of marketing.

You believe samsung cant make a lower resolution plus display? I bet they could but it wouldnt look so good for the noobs who dont know about pentile.

Whats the difference between 600p RGB screen and 720p pentile screen? Well worse battery life for no damn reason and also worse graphical performance.

DBIZMO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22 DBIZMO
Member since 2009 • 581 Posts

I don't know which phone to get but right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy S III over the HTC One X. I'm guessing the expandable memory from the S III is whats pulling me over to the Samsung side.

TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 TheShadowLord07

:( Samsung gets this one "comes in 16gb, 32gb and 64gb with expandable sd card slot."mystic_knight
yay. thats what i wanted to hear. so getting either the 32gb or 64gb one(most likely the former).

when this comes out again? i heard may 4

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]:( Samsung gets this one "comes in 16gb, 32gb and 64gb with expandable sd card slot."TheShadowLord07

yay. thats what i wanted to hear. so getting either the 32gb or 64gb one(most likely the former).

when this comes out again? i heard may 4

Nah may 29th is the release date so far.

I don't know which phone to get but right now I'm leaning towards the Samsung Galaxy S III over the HTC One X. I'm guessing the expandable memory from the S III is whats pulling me over to the Samsung side.

DBIZMO
Yes but can you live with the ugly pebble look :P Honestly the One X is the sexiest phone out there. Sometimes looks help me pick my device over practicality.
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheShadowLord07

Nah may 29th is the release date so far.mystic_knight
oh ok. i wouldnt be picking up right away cause i dont have the money. does this support the new micro sdxc cards? computer world mentions that it can support up to 64gb of external storage

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Gambler_3

Yes it does, only phone that can have 128GB total memory.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 mystic_knight
Ya it can, but its not worth it now, the 64gb sdxc costs a fortune. 16gb is still the sweetspot for best value but 32gb is still good value, 64 is just too costly.
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 TheShadowLord07

i

Ya it can, but its not worth it now, the 64gb sdxc costs a fortune. 16gb is still the sweetspot for best value but 32gb is still good value, 64 is just too costly.mystic_knight
there are 64gb sd cards for $60 on amazon.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 mystic_knight

i

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]Ya it can, but its not worth it now, the 64gb sdxc costs a fortune. 16gb is still the sweetspot for best value but 32gb is still good value, 64 is just too costly.TheShadowLord07

there are 64gb sd cards for $60 on amazon.

Ooooh not bad, I wonder if they ship those to Australia. The best price locally was $110 for a class 10 micro sd

EDIT- I just visited amazon, class 6 micro sd are starting at $89, its still pretty expensive, especially since a 32 gb can be bought for around $35

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#30 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
Boy that One X by HTC is much more attractive than this. In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Gambler_3

The galaxy S series never had attractive design so I dont see whats the big deal here.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

I was planning on going with the One X on AT&T, but then I found out they only have the 16gb version with no sd card slot... not sure now if I should go with the One X or the S3. Or should I wait for the next Nexus?

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Gambler_3

http://blog.gsmarena.com/see-the-samsung-i9300-galaxy-s-iii-in-3d/

I wouldnt say the design is ugly, I just think they could have made the home button bigger.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.musicalmac
That's going by looks only right? Because when it comes down to hardware and software the Galaxy S3 is the better phone.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 semianonymous

Boy that One X by HTC is much more attractive than this. In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.musicalmac

How shallow

The Galaxy S3 has a removable battery, and SD slot, a slightly larger screen (arguably better, mostly comes to opinion), software that appears to more efficiently take advantage of the (superior) hardware, a bigger battery, and far more software customizations that acre actually good for the user (but its ugly). Motion gestures, that sight thing, etc.

It beats the One S and One X in benchmarks too.

But its ugly.

Which do you buy?

GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 GTR12

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Boy that One X by HTC is much more attractive than this. In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.semianonymous

How shallow

The Galaxy S3 has a removable battery, and SD slot, a slightly larger screen (arguably better, mostly comes to opinion), software that appears to more efficiently take advantage of the (superior) hardware, a bigger battery, and far more software customizations that acre actually good for the user (but its ugly). Motion gestures, that sight thing, etc.

But its ugly.

Which do you buy?

The ugly duckling of course, look how that book turned out.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Boy that One X by HTC is much more attractive than this. In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.semianonymous

How shallow

But its ugly.

Which do you buy?

In benchmarks it actually lost.against the one x (AT & T) not sure how it went against the international version though, but the international is meant to be better than the AT & T version.. Also i would go for the better looking one I cant stand an ugly phone, especially since you are meant to have that phone for 2 years. if you buy something you don't like it doesn't make any sense.
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 musicalmac  Moderator

That's going by looks only right? Because when it comes down to hardware and software the Galaxy S3 is the better phone.

NVIDIATI
I'm much happier with the One X screen based on what I've seen online so far, I can't comment definitively because I haven't used either one yet.

How shallow

But its ugly.

Which do you buy?

semianonymous
When did I say it had anything to do with aesthetics? Ironic you'd call anyone shallow. :?
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Gambler_3

In benchmarks it actually lost.against the one x (AT & T) not sure how it went against the international version though, but the international is meant to be better than the AT & T version.. Also i would go for the better looking one I cant stand an ugly phone, especially since you are meant to have that phone for 2 years. if you buy something you don't like it doesn't make any sense.mystic_knight
Which benchmarks?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_flexes_muscles_on_benchmarks-news-4201.php

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 semianonymous

Boy that One X by HTC is much more attractive than this. In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.musicalmac

When did I say it had anything to do with aesthetics? Ironic you'd call anyone shallow. :?musicalmac

Gee, I wonder where I got that idea.

ChubbyGuy40

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 ChubbyGuy40
Member since 2007 • 26442 Posts

The galaxy S series never had attractive design so I dont see whats the big deal here.

Gambler_3

The Captivate is pretty damn sexy! :(

The One X is ugly. White electronics, eww. Not to mention it has the Beats Audio logo on it. Automatic loss from any standpoint.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]In benchmarks it actually lost.against the one x (AT & T) not sure how it went against the international version though, but the international is meant to be better than the AT & T version.. Also i would go for the better looking one I cant stand an ugly phone, especially since you are meant to have that phone for 2 years. if you buy something you don't like it doesn't make any sense.Gambler_3

Which benchmarks?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_galaxy_s_iii_flexes_muscles_on_benchmarks-news-4201.php

Hmmm I used these ones. http://www.engadget.com/2012/05/03/gsiii-benchmarks/
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

ChubbyGuy40

The Captivate is pretty damn sexy! :(

The One X is ugly. White electronics, eww. Not to mention it has the Beats Audio logo on it. Automatic loss from any standpoint.

Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Gambler_3

[QUOTE="Gambler_3"]

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]In benchmarks it actually lost.against the one x (AT & T) not sure how it went against the international version though, but the international is meant to be better than the AT & T version.. Also i would go for the better looking one I cant stand an ugly phone, especially since you are meant to have that phone for 2 years. if you buy something you don't like it doesn't make any sense.mystic_knight

Which benchmarks?

People are posting other links even in the comment section, engadget is the only one posted such numbers...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

Really just wipes the floor with everything else. You cant question anandtech when it comes to benchmarks. :)

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 musicalmac  Moderator

Gee, I wonder where I got that idea.

semianonymous
Attempting to troll by making yourself look like an ignoramus isn't a good way to troll.

attractive {at·trac·tive} :

1. good-looking or sexually desirable
2. pleasing in appearance or manner
3. interesting or appealing because of the probable advantages

I highlighted the most important part for you, I hope this helps.

Is any discussion over here always this needlessly difficult? Is this real life? :?

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 mystic_knight

[QUOTE="mystic_knight"][QUOTE="Gambler_3"]Which benchmarks?

Gambler_3

People are posting other links even in the comment section, engadget is the only one posted such numbers...

http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

Really just wipes the floor with everything else. You cant question anandtech when it comes to benchmarks. :)

Agreed anandtech are pretty good with benchmarks. Darn that makes it a pretty damn good phone,, it even beat the iPhone 4s gpu WTF thats crazy. i wonder how it will stand against the a5x. Any how kudos to samsung for designing a better quad core than the hopeless wreck tegra 3. Tegra 3 is useless it just drains battery like nothing and makes no use of companion core in reality. The One x (AT&T) and the galaxy s 3 are the superior phones right now.. Im hoping we get the AT&T version in oz as that will be what i get, LTE plus longer battery is what id prefer.
Gambler_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Gambler_3

It's just unfortunate that companies would rather go for stuff that looks good on specs sheet than what is actually better. The tegra 3 just sounds awesome to noobs who dont know that dual core can actually be better. The same is the case why samsung put it a pentile display instead of lower resolution RGB one because HD just sounds so awesome even if it isnt actually. Heck LG has gone so far as to name their phone "TrueHD" trying to convey the msg that samsung phones arent real HD lol.

NVIDIATI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 NVIDIATI
Member since 2010 • 8463 Posts

[QUOTE="semianonymous"]

[QUOTE="musicalmac"]Boy that One X by HTC is much more attractive than this. In a world here Apple don't exist, I would not choose this new Galaxy phone over the latest HTC offering.mystic_knight

How shallow

But its ugly.

Which do you buy?

In benchmarks it actually lost.against the one x (AT & T) not sure how it went against the international version though, but the international is meant to be better than the AT & T version.. Also i would go for the better looking one I cant stand an ugly phone, especially since you are meant to have that phone for 2 years. if you buy something you don't like it doesn't make any sense.

Wait? No it didn't.

S3 > One X

sunspider-galaxy-s3.jpg

S3 > One X

browsermark-galaxy-s3.jpg

*** Vellamo was made by Qualcomm and the One X (AT&T) uses Qualcomm's S4 Krait ***

vellamo-galaxy-s3.jpg

S3 > One X

glbenchmark-s3-egypt1.jpg

S3 > One X

glbenchmark-s3-egypt2.jpg

S3 > One X

glbenchmark-s3-pro1.jpg

S3 > One X

glbenchmark-s3-pro2.jpg

S3 > One X

basemark-s3.jpg

S3 > One X

basemark-s3.jpg

Source:http://www.anandtech.com/show/5810/samsung-galaxy-s-iii-performance-preview

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 mystic_knight
-_-' i went over this before... engadget had their benchmark tests , then gambler provided me with this. The one i viewed indicated the One X being better.
SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#50 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
-_-' i went over this before... engadget had their benchmark tests , then gambler provided me with this. The one i viewed indicated the One X being better.mystic_knight
Right from Engadget: "Now, let's stress that the handset is a pre-production model, so we can't take these as gospel truth.." The S3 is more powerful, fact. That doesn't necessarily make it the better phone, but it is more powerful.