Galaxy s2 vs galaxy nexus. Which will run ICS better?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Androvinus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#1 Androvinus
Member since 2008 • 5796 Posts

I have seen comparisons between the S2 and the Nexus. And the S2 blows away the nexus in just about everything. But this could be because all the software is optimized for gingerbread, and the nexus runs ics. Will the nexus turn into completely different phone when ics starts to get support? And will the S2 lag behind ? The Nexus was built for ics while the s2 was not.

painguy1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 painguy1
Member since 2007 • 8686 Posts

in terms of hardware im guessing that the s2 is beter, but like u mentioned the nexus is google's baby so...idk

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
What tests does it exactly "blow away" on the nexus. The specs are very similar with the s2 having a slightly better GPU and the nexus having the better resolution display. They both sport a 1.2 GHZ a9 cpu. Both have 1gb RAM. Nexus and S2 both have same internal storage space. (S2 allows for external) The camera of s2 is a little better Nexus is a little faster Im pretty sure either phone you get you will be happy with. Personally i would just wait for the HTC One X or One XL but thats just me and my HTC fanboyism, but i guarantee those phones will kick the crap out of both of these devices. The One XL supports the qualcomm S4 dual core a15 cortex 'krait" infrastructure which is 40% quicker than the a9 but with the adreno 225 oc'd = CPU amazing, Gpu a little sub par The One X supports the tegra 3 a9 quad core infrastructure (with a lower speed companion core) and a really powerful GPU which is twice as powerful as the tegra 2 GPU. = CPU great (weaker than S4 but better than the other cpu's out now) GPU is amazing.
Makari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Makari
Member since 2003 • 15250 Posts
The S2's hardware is slightly better I believe, but the native ICS release will probably have TouchWiz laid on top of it.
GTR12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 GTR12
Member since 2006 • 13490 Posts

The S2's hardware is slightly better I believe, but the native ICS release will probably have TouchWiz laid on top of it.Makari

You can disable Touchwiz

awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 awptical
Member since 2003 • 844 Posts

quad core wont be avaiable on LTE networks from what Ive read. Itll be dual core, probably not much of a difference.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mystic_knight

quad core wont be avaiable on LTE networks from what Ive read. Itll be dual core, probably not much of a difference.

awptical
Nvidia have announced that they will get the LTE chip on their SOC in the future but as it currently stands the qualcomm krait s4 is the soc to go to if you are after LTE (it probably is a better bet than tegra 3 anyway.)
red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 red12355
Member since 2007 • 1251 Posts
[QUOTE="mystic_knight"]What tests does it exactly "blow away" on the nexus. The specs are very similar with the s2 having a slightly better GPU and the nexus having the better resolution display. They both sport a 1.2 GHZ a9 cpu. Both have 1gb RAM. Nexus and S2 both have same internal storage space. (S2 allows for external) The camera of s2 is a little better Nexus is a little faster Im pretty sure either phone you get you will be happy with. Personally i would just wait for the HTC One X or One XL but thats just me and my HTC fanboyism, but i guarantee those phones will kick the crap out of both of these devices. The One XL supports the qualcomm S4 dual core a15 cortex 'krait" infrastructure which is 40% quicker than the a9 but with the adreno 225 oc'd = CPU amazing, Gpu a little sub par The One X supports the tegra 3 a9 quad core infrastructure (with a lower speed companion core) and a really powerful GPU which is twice as powerful as the tegra 2 GPU. = CPU great (weaker than S4 but better than the other cpu's out now) GPU is amazing.

Actually the Tegra 3 GPU has pretty much the same performance as the Adreno 225. The thing is that Tegra 3 will probably have much more developer support due to Nvidia giving money to devs. And spec-wise the SII will win (assuming stock android) but I doubt there will be a noticeable difference to the end user.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 mystic_knight
[QUOTE="red12355"][QUOTE="mystic_knight"]What tests does it exactly "blow away" on the nexus. The specs are very similar with the s2 having a slightly better GPU and the nexus having the better resolution display. They both sport a 1.2 GHZ a9 cpu. Both have 1gb RAM. Nexus and S2 both have same internal storage space. (S2 allows for external) The camera of s2 is a little better Nexus is a little faster Im pretty sure either phone you get you will be happy with. Personally i would just wait for the HTC One X or One XL but thats just me and my HTC fanboyism, but i guarantee those phones will kick the crap out of both of these devices. The One XL supports the qualcomm S4 dual core a15 cortex 'krait" infrastructure which is 40% quicker than the a9 but with the adreno 225 oc'd = CPU amazing, Gpu a little sub par The One X supports the tegra 3 a9 quad core infrastructure (with a lower speed companion core) and a really powerful GPU which is twice as powerful as the tegra 2 GPU. = CPU great (weaker than S4 but better than the other cpu's out now) GPU is amazing.

Actually the Tegra 3 GPU has pretty much the same performance as the Adreno 225. The thing is that Tegra 3 will probably have much more developer support due to Nvidia giving money to devs. And spec-wise the SII will win (assuming stock android) but I doubt there will be a noticeable difference to the end user.

You know that was the one x vs the one s... The screen resolutions are completely different... the article states the one x has 77% more pixels than the one s... You would have to do a comparison between one xl and one x, only then would you see how much better the tegra 3 gpu is compared to the adreno 225... when the adreno 320 launches though i expect the one x to start failing behind
red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 red12355
They did an off screen run at 720p and Tegra 3 is about 25% faster. Wouldn't call that the difference between "a little sub par" and "amazing". But I see your point.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 mystic_knight
They did an off screen run at 720p and Tegra 3 is about 25% faster. Wouldn't call that the difference between "a little sub par" and "amazing". But I see your point.red12355
:P yeah, i just wished they did a proper upgrade for the krait SOC, an overclocked 220 will be outdated real quick.. oh well. its still a great SOC regardless and as i said in one of the other threads ill still go for the krait SOC over the tegra 3 if we had the one xl in australia
red12355

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 red12355
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed as well. From what I've heard, Adreno 3xx GPUs will be out in 6 months along with a bunch of other GPU architectures. It'll be really interesting to see which of the Adreno 3xxx/PowerVR SGX544/Mali T604/Tegra 3 archs come out on top.
mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mystic_knight
Yeah, I was kinda disappointed as well. From what I've heard, Adreno 3xx GPUs will be out in 6 months along with a bunch of other GPU architectures. It'll be really interesting to see which of the Adreno 3xxx/PowerVR SGX544/Mali T604/Tegra 3 archs come out on top.red12355
Im pretty sure the tegra 3 would lose against the other 3, if the mali 400 is anything to go by i suspect the mali T604 (?600mhz gpu) will be the winner there.
IvanElk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 IvanElk
Member since 2008 • 3798 Posts
I would just like to point out that a weaker gpu in a 720p phone vs a (whatever resolution s2 is) with a stronger gpu the second one is much better. The higher resolution makes the gpu have to work harder and if the gpu is worse well... I'm sure you can connect a few dots here.
SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts
I have CyanogenMod9 on my Galaxy S2 (Its basically a beta ICS rom) I compared it to my friends nexus and my phone was way faster (and the rom is still in the development stage!)
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

In theory, they would run equally. The GS2 has better hardware and far fewer pixels to push, the Nexus uses the exact hardware ICS was designed to work best on.

I have CyanogenMod9 on my Galaxy S2 (Its basically a beta ICS rom) I compared it to my friends nexus and my phone was way faster (and the rom is still in the development stage!)SPBoss

Not a fair comparison. A rooted android phone is generally faster than a stock one, and Cyanogenmod inclues speed tweaks

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 SPBoss

In theory, they would run equally. The GS2 has better hardware and far fewer pixels to push, the Nexus uses the exact hardware ICS was designed to work best on.

[QUOTE="SPBoss"]I have CyanogenMod9 on my Galaxy S2 (Its basically a beta ICS rom) I compared it to my friends nexus and my phone was way faster (and the rom is still in the development stage!)semianonymous

Not a fair comparison. A rooted android phone is generally faster than a stock one, and Cyanogenmod inclues speed tweaks

Fair enough, there is a leaked version of official ics for galaxy s2 and i found a forum that had benchmark comparisons between the two phones. Samsung S2 is marginally better in some aspects.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 awptical

S2 should run better, although neither will give you performance issues. The higher rez Display Is something to consider. The small Resolution on the S2 looks terrible in comparison. Thankfully the 720P resolution Is Here.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mystic_knight

S2 should run better, although neither will give you performance issues. The higher rez Display Is something to consider. The small Resolution on the S2 looks terrible in comparison. Thankfully the 720P resolution Is Here.

awptical
The GS2 resolution is just fine, the PenTile matrix of the galaxy nexus is a little bummer and does not truly represent 720p. So they are closer to each other than one may think. :P The one x will feature a true 720p display.. :P Yay less than a month to go i can't wait... I wanna see how this SLCD II technology compares to SLCD and Super AMOLED.
awptical

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 awptical

Sorry, But No. They are not close at all. Small text Is unreadable On the S2 Whereas on the Nexus its.Crisp and.clean. You can Notice the difference even more on HD Movies. Its NigHt And.day. Browsing websites also Shows Tons more of THe Page On the higher resoLutiOn. My brother has a S2 So I'm speaking On experience. PenTile is irrelevant when your dealings with That Many.more.pixels. Not tooting my own Horn here or any thing, Just want people.to Be informed. The Gnex has the best.displayed Currently hands down. We'll see If The new HTC changes that.

Sorry for the.random capitalizations. This forum and my phone.don't Seem to mix well.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#21 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

I can read pretty much any text just fine on my S2. I'm not really sure what you mean by small text is illegible. Its certainly not ideal, but thats more a fault of a smaller screen, rather than resolution

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SPBoss
oled screens have some amazing contrast ratios, i mean look at a galaxy s2 screen in the dark. the dark pixels are actually turned off :)