Fragmentation not an issue?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

http://www.forbes.com/sites/tomiogeron/2012/02/02/does-ios-crash-more-than-android-a-data-dive/

New data reveals that iOS apps crash more often than their Android counterparts, despite developers not being able to test their app on every single Android device. This would lead me to conclude that fragmentation might not be as big of an issue for this platform as previously thought. It would also mean that Android is a more stable platform than people give it credit for.

XschlistaX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 XschlistaX
Member since 2012 • 117 Posts

Yet windows phones are even better. Fragmentation is still a huge issue for Android. It's more than just apps crashing. It's the consumer experience. The free Android devices people get are often garbage and their experience will be garbage. While others have a relatively good experience.The more cheap phones that are out there will give a negative impression of Android in the marketplace as time goes on. Android is exactly the same model as Windows Mobile was where they let the Hardware vendors and cell carriers decide the consumer experience--and that will fragment the market as they try put their spin on things. Some may spin a good experience others a cheapo one. And some like kindle fire will go for a completely different experience.

Right now windows phone has the best model, but it came to the game very late. Let's see if Nokia can help change that for them. If not then they'll need to wait for windows 8 to catch on.

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

Yet windows phones are even better. Fragmentation is still a huge issue for Android. It's more than just apps crashing. It's the consumer experience. The free Android devices people get are often garbage and their experience will be garbage. While others have a relatively good experience.The more cheap phones that are out there will give a negative impression of Android in the marketplace as time goes on. Android is exactly the same model as Windows Mobile was where they let the Hardware vendors and cell carriers decide the consumer experience--and that will fragment the market as they try put their spin on things. Some may spin a good experience others a cheapo one. And some like kindle fire will go for a completely different experience.

Right now windows phone has the best model, but it came to the game very late. Let's see if Nokia can help change that for them. If not then they'll need to wait for windows 8 to catch on.

XschlistaX

yay, someone else her who likes windows phone! sucks not really having a forum though :( i have a HD7 (before that i had a Mozart)

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

[QUOTE="XschlistaX"]

kungfool69

yay, someone else her who likes windows phone! sucks not really having a forum though :( i have a HD7 (before that i had a Mozart)

It has the nicest interface of all the smartphones by far, and it looks silky smooth. However, no Flash and a relatively small app offering are holding it back right now. I would love to see it, and Nokia, do well though.

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

I almost feel like the only way to solve the Android fragmentation issue is to reaize all apps won't run on all phones. We all know there are the powerful, expensive Android devices and the weak, cheap Android devices. I'd almost prefer to split the market into two categories that keeps most of the games or other heavily intensive apps only designed for the more powerful phones rather than holding back these phones because developers need to make sure they also run on the crappy free Android phones, therefore ruining the reason to even buy a powerful, expensive Android phone.

I think Android's fragmentation issue is one that can be prevented, but it appears Google is mostly okay with and the above solution is more of a bandaid fix that a true fix and I realize that.

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

Lets just forget about apps for a second, and just look at the OS itself, which reveals how wrong the topic title is and how silly it is to talk about fragmentation when the real debate here is iOS vs-Android stability. At this time, its most fair to compare 2.3 to iOS5, seeing as how I'm willing to bet 90% of those app tests were not on a Galaxy Nexus.

Android 4.0 looks better, functions better, has a better font, better animations, better features, smells better, runs better and has a better easter egg than android 2.3. The fact that every single phone that can run ICS does not yet have ICS almost five freaking months later, and the fact that anything under 2.3 is not just a minor blip on the map is proof alone that fragmentation is a very, very serious issue.

As for stability, I've got two things to say

1: LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOOL

2: the idea that iOS is more stable/has more stable apps largely stems from apple being tricky. After iOS4, apps crash in the background and such, but you are never notified, and the app itself reopens from the start, which is generally not noticed unless you were in the middle of a game. It makes users think their phones are more stable than they actually are, whereas android lets you know.

It has the nicest interface of all the smartphones by far

UssjTrunks

I...really, really disagree. I honestly think its a tragedy that microsoft is pursuing Metro. I do appreciate how much work they put into it and how well it works, I just can't stand it.

GulliverJr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 GulliverJr
Member since 2005 • 552 Posts
My thoughts are extracted from an article i wrote over on carrypad.com: "I do not think fragmentation exists in the way that I hear a lot of other journalists discuss it. I do not agree that skinning Android is a form of fragmentation, and the discussion about any difference from the baseline version of Android being fragmentation seems to be a very conservative view. I do not think these perspectives are so close to the reality, and I do not classify mods like HTC Sense or skins like TouchWiz as examples of fragmentation. Where we were as recent as a year ago, there were many new phones being sold that were already whole baselines behind. In other words, tablets and phones were being released with Android 1.6 when Froyo was already out: That's an example of fragmentation. More so when those devices were immediately abandoned and never saw updates to a 2.x version of Android, that was also an example of fragmentation. It is the analog to if Windows XP laptops were being sold when Windows 7 was already out, and then those laptops not supporting a path forward to Windows 7. Android is open source, and variety in deployments should be expected, just the same as we expect it with LINUX." I understand some people's perception that this is a problem, but the adoption metrics don't support the perception that it is a catastrophic one. One thing I like about my Android devices is that I know they are not likely to be the same as another Android owner's that I meet, even when they are on the same hardware. Windows Phone has a very unified approach, and I like it (I carried an HTC HD7 for a good part of last year). But Android is not WP7, and I neither need nor want Android to ape that model. Android offers more choice, both leading up to the purchase, and during the ownership life-cycle. There are stock Android options out there for those who want that experience, and then there are options for those who are willing to accept the other variables. - vr/z..>>
deleteduser198

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 deleteduser198
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
If fragmentation weren't an issue, every Android phone that has been released in the past two years should be able to play online/local multiplayer cross-device with each other. The truth of the matter is that in most cases, it's either very poorly incorporated and decides to work or not seemingly on a whim, or it doesn't work at all. Too many API's and different configurations to be held accountable contributes to what ends up being a confusing mess for cross-device multiplayer stability. The problem with the solution to this problem: It would take Google forcing a uniform OS on all manufacturers to get to the levels of consistency Apple has achieved. This would be a blatant act of Google eating its own words, so it's highly unlikely they will go this route; which means it will be highly unlikely that the fragmentation issues will soon be resolved.
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

I literally do not know what I am talking about, and I should stick to the iOS forumKid-Atari

Good idea!

kungfool69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 kungfool69
Member since 2006 • 2584 Posts

There is one good thing i see about fragmentation (honestly i was misunderstanding the topic earlier on, and thought u were refering to OS performance/memory leak issues). the best thing is there are two markets for android, cheap entry level phones that cant push past V2.3 and then high end phones just arriving with ice cream sandwich (nexus) or those waiting for the update to happen in a week or two(galaxy S2). the cheap entry level provide a great stepping stone for young and old people to grasp a phone without the high expensive of the latest Sony Super Sleek Mark IV. For the young kids as their first phone, it is a great alternative to an MP3 player, as the parents can now reach the kids anywhere for the same price as a good Sony Walkman or iRiver (approx$99-$149 AU there is a good range of phones, but not many non-apple MP3's players anymore).