Dedicated Android Game Console

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UssjTrunks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 UssjTrunks
Member since 2005 • 11299 Posts

http://phandroid.com/2011/12/12/combine-android-with-playstation-slim-and-what-do-you-get-yinlips-smart-game-player/

"This knock-off features a sizable 5-inch display, single-core (but still pretty decent) Cortex-A9 processor, gyro sensor, rear and front facing cameras and comes in a variety of colors. What you are looking at right in front of you is simultaneously Android's greatest strength (its ability to run on any device) and it's greatest weakness (its ability to be ported to any device). Still, if I saw this at the swap meet for like, I don't know — $150. I'd probably pick one up."

Theyre actually $120. :P

http://www.etronixmart.com/yinlips-ydpg18-wifi-android-game-console-smart-mini-tablet-p-975.html

Not the highest powered device out there, but pretty neat nonetheless.

More importantly this highlights the potential for Android to be used in dedicated game consoles and other devices due to its open source nature. The ability to be used on devices with hardware controls really opens a lot of doors for game developers on the platform. We saw this advantage with the Xperia Play, but that is still a phone at heart. This is the first time I've seen the OS used on a dedicated gaming console (albeit a Chinese PSP rip-off).

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
They kinda have with the experia play, though I'm more interested in vita
ferycire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 ferycire
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Looks good. Anyone tried this?
calebcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 calebcop
Member since 2009 • 889 Posts

Looks pretty cool. They should just make the next Playstatio run Android. That would be AMAZING

semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

wait

that thing has basically a single core exynos in there, what with the Mali-400

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
The Yinlips or the more-recently-released JXD S7100 both seem like a 'best of both worlds' as they both are capable of quite a few different apps/media playback and support HDMI-out. I'm leaning more toward the JXD due to the bigger screen. The JXD actually looks like the controller for the WiiU.