Android 5.0 Jelly Bean already in the works. Why?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

DeadMan1290

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 0

#1 DeadMan1290
Member since 2005 • 15752 Posts

Why should they start working on a new Android OS so early? Is Icecream Sandwich bad? Or has too many bugs? I haven't tried it yet. I think an update would be most suitable but a whole new OS. I think it's too early.

PEELEDbanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 PEELEDbanana
Member since 2006 • 2053 Posts

Why did Microsoft begin work before Windows 7 even came out? It isn't a matter of it not working as it is a matter of making huge updates for OSs takes a long time. But looking at what is happening with Android, it doesn't seem like a good idea to have Android 5.0 come out THIS early. Starting work is fine, the latest rumor is it is coming out this year unless this is going to be like Honeycomb again (which was a bad idea in the first place).

Cwagmire21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 Cwagmire21
Member since 2007 • 5896 Posts

We have apps popular third party apps that still don't suppport push notifications because people still have phones (2.1? I think) that don't support it.

So now we'll have people on 1.6, 2.1, 2.2, 2.3, 4.0, and now 5.0. Each of these having some feature that will limit third party apps with compatiability. It's frustrating having a new phone where only the Google apps seem to be "up-to-date" with my Android phone.

mystic_knight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 mystic_knight
Member since 2003 • 13801 Posts
I doubt it will come this year. But knowing the history of android it has been pretty much a new version every year. early 2010 released eclair, late 2010 honeycomb, late 2011 Ice cream sandwich. The problem is when eclair and honeycomb came out everyone adopted it fairly quickly. ICS only has the nexus line working on it for phones and only the transformer prime for tablets...
semianonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5 semianonymous
Member since 2007 • 6685 Posts

Why should they start working on a new Android OS so early? Is Icecream Sandwich bad? Or has too many bugs? I haven't tried it yet. I think an update would be most suitable but a whole new OS. I think it's too early.

DeadMan1290

uh

First off, no one knows in Jelly Bean is 5.0, 4.1 or what. Second, its an update, not a new OS. Third, android is on a yearly update schedule now, do you really honestly think that google is going to wait until a week before they reveal it to start work on it? These things kind of take time.

And no, theres nothing wrong with ICS, quite the opposite. Companies have to continually work on their OS's to remain relevant and competitive (see: RIM) and as soon as ICS was finalized, there were two new teams: matinence update team for ICS, and the Jelly Bean team. It is literally required for a never ending cycle. How this can come as a surprise to anyone kind of baffles me.

SoraX64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6 SoraX64
Member since 2008 • 29221 Posts
how do I into software development cycles
Fandangle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points