• 168 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Datheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Datheron
Member since 2004 • 266 Posts

Hello.

I suppose I'm one of the newer/est members on this board so it's customary to greet the regulars here. I was nominated here courtesy of fuzzysquash for this post in System Wars; honestly I never thought it'd be such a big deal, as I wrote it mostly out of frustration of all the misguided opinions floating around that board when Lost Odyessy was announced to have four disks.

The username comes from something I tried to write as a kid which has fallen into the annals of time and whose one remaining legacy exists in the form of my online alias.

I have a bunch of console systems - X360, NDS, PS2, DC, PS1, SNES, Famicom - as well as a pretty beefy PC. I'm interested in all game genres and all types of games, although I'm partial to JRPG's, fighters, and basketball epics, as well as a few multiplayer-oriented shooters and strategy (real-time and turn-based) titles on the PC. My other online-visible passion is writing (shameless plug for own blog here), but I haven't really done any formal writing beyond college courses.

In real life, I'm probably quite old for a Gamespot regular; I had graduated from a pretty good university a few years back with a degree in Computer Science and now work as a software engineer/developer (no, not making games), which drives my interest in both software and hardware in the technological arena. Feel free to PM me if you want to ask anything about programming, getting into a CS degree and what it means, or finding a job as an engineer.

Cheers! :)

Cook66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Cook66
Member since 2004 • 5182 Posts

Hello and welcome to GUFU, glad to have you here. I am probably walking down a similar path you are as I hope to work as a programmer of some sort in the future. I am currently working as an apprentice in the IT section of my county and in a few years I'll hopefully be in a Univerisity learning something about programming.

I'll take a look at your blog. I just set up my own which is far from ready so I need some inspiration.

Oh and Lost Odyessy comes out on 4 discs? I'm glad to see the limits of DVD is not limiting the size of games, I was worried MS wouldn't allow multiple disced games in fear of looking bad compared to the BC discs on PS3.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 jechtshot78
Member since 2004 • 29851 Posts
Oh, We have an ambitious one here. Thats what I like to see. Welcome to GUFU, and let me stick this up there for you.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Welcome Datheron!

Nice to see you here. I just read your latest thread and am thoroughly impressed.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

Oy!

You probably aren't that old. I'm 25, and there are 30-35 year old folks that post. Watch out for the-very-best.

Also, JRPGs ftw.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts

Welcome. Sounds like you've been gaming for quite some time. Same here. I started up on the old PC's/Apples and Atari, but really didn't get into gaming until the NES - I was too young to really enjoy the Atari.

I've been in the GS forums for about 3 years and for some surprising reason have stayed.I have a weird sense of humor, so if you ever read one of my posts and are thinking, "WTF?", it's probably just me joking or using some sly wit - or miserably failing in that attempt.

I own a ps2, XB, GC, 360, NDS, and decent gaming PC at the moment. Started guild wars about a year ago, and have been hooked on it since. It dominates most of my free time for gaming though I still manage to play some good ones on my 360. Once again, welcome.

Verge_6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Verge_6
Member since 2007 • 20282 Posts
Welcome. I can only suggest that you don't get TOO perplexed by some of the randomness that goes on in here. >_>
SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Excellent post, and welcome to GUFU!

About me!

I am a 22 year old gamer from near Chicago, Il. I am in college right now trying for a BS in Psychology and a BA in Computer Science. I have my AA from the local Community College so far.

I have been gaming since I can remember, and I have owned ("Still owns" I will bold) Intellivision, NES, Sega Genesis, Sega 32X, Sega CD, N64, Sega Saturn, PSOne, Sega Dreamcast, PS2, Xbox, Xbox 360, Wii, and PS3, with a few handhelds sprinkled in which were sold, as I never have time for them.

I am a somewhat active poster on System Wars, usually choosing to get into a biased or bashing thread early and refute the original post with logic, although I really love joke threads and getting into real conversations in threads as well.

I have been a member of GameSpot since April 2005, although I didn't post at all until early 2006. I started out gaming as a Sega Fanboy (as if you couldn't tell from my system list!) and when that tanked I went to PS2. Got a few DREs and switched to the Xbox and Halo. When the 360 launched I became more active here, and I was indeed a Lemming.

I am not sure what flipped me,but I am glad, as I enjoy all three systems in their own right. I joined GUFU fairly recently, and am glad I was invited.

I like making signatures (this one is fairly rough, but conveys its point!) and messing with PhotoShop, I also like Football (Packers and Eagles FTW) and some other stuff which I won't bore people with. I have a MySpace at : http://www.myspace.com/sprucecaboose

I guess that is more than enough rambling for now. Only other thing, I accept all friend requests here as long as the person is not a hardcore fanboy.

Blackbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Blackbond
Member since 2005 • 24516 Posts

The names BlackBond, you should do well to remember it.

I am how would you say....one of the more *unique* members of the Union. I am versed in all platforms with the exception of PC though I always have access to advanced Hardware. I'm a man who puts the games above everything else. I don't care for platforms. Never have and never will. I play games thus I am forced to buy hardware.

My favorite Genre was formerly that of the JRPG but now and I find it a diminishing genre. My new love is for Fighters. Ironicly a diminishing genre. I am the most competitive person in GUFU. Bar none there isn't even a close second. Biggest Madden fan on the boards and Megaman fan as well.

Datheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Datheron

Welcome. I can only suggest that you don't get TOO perplexed by some of the randomness that goes on in here. >_>Verge_6

The appearance of randomness is but an illusion of chaos alleviated by the gentle caress of time. I'll catch on eventually. :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Order perceived through chaos as a result of time?

Or is it chaos is perceived in order as a result of lack of time?

Locke562

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Locke562
Member since 2004 • 7673 Posts
I'd like to thank you again for that post in system wars and welcome to GUFU.
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts

Welcome to GUFU.:) I suppose I'll introduce myself.

I'm VGobbsesser,but most on Gamespot just call me VG,since it's much shorter.I'm about 14 years old,attending high school (though a lot of people think I'm years older than I really am :lol: ).

I started gaming when I was five,with the original Game Boy and a copy of Pokemon Blue.My first console was the N64.I've stuck with Nintendo ever since.Got a Gamecube,then got a Wii.I plan on going PCWii this generation,which seems like the best combination for me.

My favorite games of all-time are Metroid Prime,Super Mario 64,The Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess,The Legend of Zelda: Wind Waker,Kirby's Adventure,and Starcraft.My favorite genre is platforming,and my favorite franchise of all-time is Metroid (Expect me to say Metroid Prime is the greatest game ever a lot :wink: ).

I've been on Gamespot for about a year and a half or so....and that's about it.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

Jandurin

Ack! Too deep....Way too deep!

Back to the "dungeon" for you!

Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
Welcome! Good to have another programmer on board that I can talk about geek stuff with! I'm actually going to be getting a BS in Computer Engineering this December, but don't let that fool you: pretty much all I do is programming these days.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 blizzvalve
Member since 2007 • 14052 Posts
Hello and welcome to the union. Enjoy your stay and post often.
the-very-best

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the-very-best
Member since 2006 • 14486 Posts

Jandurin

Are you trying to sound smart? We've talked about this Jandurin. You can't push being smart, it's something you naturally acquire in life, and sadly, you have not got it.

Just keep reading my posts and you'll catch on quick son.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
[QUOTE="Jandurin"]

the-very-best

Are you trying to sound smart? We've talked about this Jandurin. You can't push being smart, it's something you naturally acquire in life, and sadly, you have not got it.

I was trying to figure out what Datheron said. He's the one who was talkin like he was smart and stuff.

:cry:

ScaryMovies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ScaryMovies
Member since 2004 • 5418 Posts

Hi!

I'm not really a new member, but I haven't been posting for a while now. Some of you might remember me, some of you probably wont... and I sure as **** don't recognise a lot of you "new" guys :P There's not a whole lot to say about me.. I'm 18 years old, I got to school in Spain, but I am from Norway. I own an Xbox 360, PSP, GC, Xbox, GBA, SNES and a PC. The 360 and PC are getting most of my attention.

My favorite genres are FPS, TPS, RPG (not turn-based), Racing and RTS... That's about it I guess lol.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Scarymovies,

Thanks for the update. It's nice to have people participate in this thread so we can all get an insight into the people that make up our union.

Datheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Datheron
[QUOTE="the-very-best"][QUOTE="Jandurin"]

Jandurin

I was trying to figure out what Datheron said. He's the one who was talkin like he was smart and stuff.

:cry:

Uh....I did no such thing! [runs]

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
:lol:
Rendarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Rendarian
Member since 2003 • 9444 Posts

I figured I might as right something here as a kind of reintroduction to everyone after I've been extremely inactive for the past year or so.

I joined Gamespot with this account back in 2003, although I believe there was another name I had before that but I didn't remember what it was or something like that. For the first few years I was very much a fixture in System Wars and had some fun times there back in the glory days. It was a fun place and even though there were a few people that would give me headaches, it was all in good fun. Very, very talented posters that engaged in very lively debate...most of the time.

As for my personal situation, I'm quickly approaching the age of 25 and finishing off my Master's Degree in Humanities Computing and Classical Archaeology at the University of Alberta. I'm very proud to call Edmonton my home town and it's a fantastic city. We have a lot of work to do, but we're getting there.

While my academic career has mostly circulated around Greek/Roman archaeology and what not, I've always been interested in games. More on that in a bit. My current research interests are the utilization of GIS systems to analyze sightlines between discovered sites (both major and minor) to see if a kind of regional defense system was in place around the site of Kastro Kallithea, located in Thessaly. By extension, I'm also seeing if one could reasonably predict where possible tower sites, etc, may be based upon topography and visibility from known sites.

The past year or so I've shifted to a degree and done a few research projects on games...specifically the role of narrative in gaming. I have a paper I think is quite good I could email to anyone if they're interested. Unfortunately having to put significant time towards my thesis means I don't have much time for side research.

Other than that, I've been very involved in my choir, the University of Alberta Mixed Chorus and attached Faculty of Education Handbell Ringers. I served as president for the last two years overseeing an executive of 14 people and annual budget of around $80,000. This year I'm just a regular citizen again so I can sit back and relax a bit :)

I'm also very involved with civic politics. I co-founded a ground called Promote Edmonton which worked to encourage working towards making Edmonton a vibrant, modern city. Together with the support of the Edmonton Economic Development Corporation we launched the website www.connect2edmonton.com where I am a primary moderator (and do a damn better job than some of the Nazi moderation here on GS :P ). There we don't get QQing 14 year olds...we get politicians, newspaper columnists, etc, etc, all working under pseudonyms to try and sway the masses.

Gamewise I'm mostly playing WoW at the moment due to time constraints although there are a number of PC games I need to get now that my PC is fixed and back. World in Conflict, BioShock, and a few backlogged games sitting in a stack in my place. I'm a big Nintendo fan, but haven't been overly thrilled by the Wii so far. I'll most likely be picking up a 360 for Mass Effect.

I've entertained ideas of starting a game company with some school friends, but, again, everyone busy so that went on the backburner. More exciting is the planning of a big game conference here in Edmonton set for April 4-5, 2009. That's all very, very early in the planning stages but I'll be sure to put out more info once we get an initial webpresence up and all that jazz.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Rendarian = too busy. :shock:

:D

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 jechtshot78
Ren, I think that post was 3 sentances short of a biography.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Ren, I think that post was 3 sentances short of a biography.jechtshot78

I like it, though. Nice to learn a little bit about each of our members. As much or as little as they would like to share.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jechtshot78

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]Ren, I think that post was 3 sentances short of a biography.sonicare

I like it, though. Nice to learn a little bit about each of our members. As much or as little as they would like to share.

*shares nothing*

Its mah secrets, j00 cant hav em! :o

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
[QUOTE="sonicare"]

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]Ren, I think that post was 3 sentances short of a biography.jechtshot78

*shares nothing*

*crosses fingers and hopes Jecht does not see the 3 security cameras installed in his room *

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 jechtshot78
[QUOTE="jechtshot78"][QUOTE="sonicare"]

[QUOTE="jechtshot78"]Ren, I think that post was 3 sentances short of a biography.sonicare

*shares nothing*

*crosses fingers and hopes Jecht does not see the 3 security cameras installed in his room *

.........*Paranoia Ensues*

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
*crosses fingers and hopes Jecht does not see the 3 security cameras installed in his room *sonicare
I'm in ur room, learnin ur secretz.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

[QUOTE="sonicare"]*crosses fingers and hopes Jecht does not see the 3 security cameras installed in his room *Jandurin
I'm in ur room, learnin ur secretz.

Andrew Ryan and Suchong helped me develop a special form of mind control for kitties. Now I control an army of them to do my bidding.

Rendarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Rendarian
Member since 2003 • 9444 Posts

Ren, I think that post was 3 sentances short of a biography.jechtshot78

lol...we Grad students like to go on a bit.

IAmRodyle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#33 IAmRodyle
Member since 2006 • 4347 Posts

I actually haven't really formally intoduced myself since I joined the union. I might as well now.

The name's IAmRodyle, although I'm more commonly referred to as simply Rodyle if you choose to exclude the rhetoric. As some already know, my alias is based off a villainous character from Tales of Symphonia for the Gamecube. I have since grown less imitative of his nature, but he remains in my avatar, as essencially it's how I'm recognized on the boards. I've been on Gamespot for close to two years, and joined GUFU in August, 2006 after an invitation (by my request) from ak47lover.

Gaming has been a large part of my life for nearly ten years, starting with the N64. I own an Xbox 360, Wii, PS2, GC, an aforementioned N64, DS and a dusty old GBC. I am often plagued with the fact that my PC is utterly incapable of playing the latest titles, but the 360 has been satisfying. I enjoy a broad variety of titles, including Action/Adventure, Action RPGs, FPS, TPS, Survival Horror, Free-Roam/Sandbox, some Racing, and other miscellaneous titles such as Katamari. As for online gaming, my ethernet cable for my 360 has been...well, limiting, and thus my experience on Live isn't too grand. Until I get a WiFi adaptor, I'll be touching up on my skills in Rainbow Six Vegas.

Anyway, welcome to GUFU, home of probrably the friendliest board on Gamespot, a breath of fresh air from the sewers of System Wars.

hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 hendrix29
Member since 2006 • 10960 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm hendrix29, and I'm honestly not sure how I was accepted into this union since I was not nominated to my knowledge. I don't regularly post on system wars, however I am interested in debating consoles and the like, I'm just not in love with the people there, which is why I think the GUFU can be a great place for me. Anyway, I would like to know(just out of curiousity) why I was accepted into this union.

As for gaming, I currently own a 360, Wii, and game on a mid-high end PC. Not sure whether I will get a PS3 for a long while, but it should come before this console generation is over. I am a HUGE fan of the Elder Scrolls series, and I lead a successful union on it. One last thing for me being attracted into this union, I've seen it constantly as one of the more active unions within gamespot, and I've heard many reports of friendly, and smart posters, and finally, I love the way the system works here with nominations instead of just invitation.

That's all I have to say, thanks for the acceptance!

Unforgiven2870

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Unforgiven2870
Member since 2004 • 6386 Posts
great to see new members comming Please ty to Join IRC channel with us when you can.
Not-A-Stalker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Not-A-Stalker
Member since 2006 • 5165 Posts

Uhm, hi I guess... Uh, I was honestly kind of surprised I was accepted into GUFU because... some people seem to think I'm a fanboy for whatever reason? But oh well, I know I'm not and I don't care much what others think of me... And I guess its pretty cool to have an active board to discuss games other than SW so... awesome? :]

So, I own a PS3 and a 360 this gen. There aren't really any plans on Wii this moment. Probably not for a long time... or ever to be honest. I'm just not interested in it's current and future games (besides No More Heroes. Do want!) I like shooters, western RPGs, action games, adventure games, platformers, puzzle games, some racing games, sports, sims, and some strategy games. My favorite game is SOCOM, and my favorite game series probably the Metal Gear series.

I'm also a big sports fan if you couldn't tell. The Michigan Wolverines, Detroit Lions, Detroit Tigers, Oakland Raiders, Colorado Rockies and Miami Hurricanes are my favorite teams (I don't really care for basketball or hockey).

Not really sure what else to say, so I'll just leave it at that? :s

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 jechtshot78
Welcome to our union. :)
fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#38 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

Hello everyone, I'm hendrix29, and I'm honestly not sure how I was accepted into this union since I was not nominated to my knowledge. I don't regularly post on system wars, however I am interested in debating consoles and the like, I'm just not in love with the people there, which is why I think the GUFU can be a great place for me. Anyway, I would like to know(just out of curiousity) why I was accepted into this union.

hendrix29

Don't know the answer to that, but you certainly seem like someone who would fit well in this union. Welcome!

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 jechtshot78
[QUOTE="hendrix29"]

fuzzysquash

Don't know the answer to that, but you certainly seem like someone who would fit well in this union. Welcome!

I randomly sent invites out based on cool avatars earlier. :)

No no, just kidding :P

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm not even sure why Hendrix got invited. But im sure it is not a mistake (:P) Anyway, feel free to post lots here.

blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 blizzvalve
welcome everyone
hendrix29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#41 hendrix29
Member since 2006 • 10960 Posts
[QUOTE="fuzzysquash"][QUOTE="hendrix29"]

jechtshot78

I randomly sent invites out based on cool avatars earlier. :)

No no, just kidding :P

Edit: Thinking about it, I'm not even sure why Hendrix got invited. But im sure it is not a mistake (:P) Anyway, feel free to post lots here.

lol well ok, glad that I at least feel welcome. And I applied, so someone accepted it, not sure who could've, I only know The_Game, but on a limited basis.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Welcome everybody, and hendrix since you have a battlespire avatar, you have to be cool. 8)
blizzvalve

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 blizzvalve
hendrix is a good poster.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Greetings Not-A-Stalker and hendrix.

Welcome to your doom.

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#45 fuzzysquash
Member since 2004 • 17374 Posts

lol well ok, glad that I at least feel welcome. And I applied, so someone accepted it, not sure who could've, I only know The_Game, but on a limited basis.

hendrix29

Oh, that solves it. Officers go through the applications and vote on who should be admitted; their votes just aren't recorded here.

So rest assured: you were definitely admitted democratically.

jechtshot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 jechtshot78
[QUOTE="hendrix29"]

fuzzysquash

Oh, that solves it. Officers go through the applications and vote on who should be admitted; their votes just aren't recorded here.

So rest assured: you were definitely admitted democratically.

Yup.

The reason we do it that way is because it is quicker then voing on them in the recruitment thread.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 deactivated-5e836a855beb2

:P

fuzzysquash

Forum Posts