Poll: Who's the Best Starter (Part 1: Kanto)

gamespot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By gamespot
Member since 2003 • 901308 Posts

While it's difficult to pinpoint the best Pokemon ever we got to thinking. Who makes the best starter? Squirtle has some obvious long game advantages. Bulbasaur has a strong early game against the first few gyms. And Charmander eventually becomes amazing during late game gym battles. So how about it, GameSpotters?

Who is the best starter for the Kanto games?

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10502 Posts

SQUIRTLE!!!!!

With Bulbasaur a close second.

Charmander was always way overrated.

VenomREC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 VenomREC
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Charmander is my number 1 choice for gen 1, but for Gen 2 it is very hard since I consider Johto perfect. I go by my Nostalgia goggles alone btw.

GelatoCube

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 GelatoCube
Member since 2015 • 9 Posts

Squirtle and Bulbasaur, they get most gym type adavantages no counting elite 4

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#5 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@GameSpot: Charmander all the way!

quatoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#6  Edited By quatoe
Member since 2005 • 7242 Posts

Squirtle for me. Charmander in second. I wanna go play Alpha Sapphire now.

NaymLesWon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#7 NaymLesWon
Member since 2014 • 36 Posts

Bulbasaur my first pick, even though he is the "weakest" I still chose him

SuperShrooms

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 SuperShrooms
Member since 2015 • 24 Posts

Charmander because Charizard!

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

Charmander is the best choice since it takes awhile to get a good fire pokemon. I always liked Bulbasaur though cause of how easy it is to get water pokemon and then I'd pick up growlithe or vulpix. Leech seed and Sleeping powder was helpful for catching other pokemon too.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

The bulb for me

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#11 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Squirtle was always my favorite Kanto starter. Charmander is cool too, but I always felt like it was way overrated - though I can understand why. I feel like Bulbasaur always kind of got the short end of the popularity stick, but I think gen 1 was one of those times when a lot of people liked each of the three starters a lot.

Like the original thread says, one benefit of choosing one pokemon over the other was gym type advantages. Bulbasaur was strong against Brock and Misty's pokemon, and even Lt. Surge's, but then was weak against the later gym leaders. Squirtle was strong against Brock, but then didn't really have a type advantage until Blaine and Giovanni later on. Charmander, meanwhile, struggled against early gym leaders, but had an advantage in the middle against Erika, and then Charizard just becomes pretty strong by late in the game anyway.

Another thing to look at was how useful the three starters were in the bigger picture. Fire pokemon are pretty dang rare in gen 1 - your options outside of Charmander were essentially Vulpix, Ponyta, Growlithe, Magmar, Flareon and Moltres. Grass pokemon were equally pretty rare (actually maybe more so) - you had Tangela, Oddish, Bellsprout, and Exeggscute outside of Bulbasaur. But then like half or better of the gen 1 pokemon were water-type! So by not choosing Squirtle, you already had access to a type that wasn't very common for the rest of the game. Bulbasaur was probably most useful against all of those water-type pokemon.

Squirtle could also learn Surf. I don't know if Charizard could learn Fly, maybe it could in later versions at least. (Because, you know, it's gotta be OP.) Bulbasaur could use Cut I remember, maybe Charmander could as well. And I think they could all use Strength. Take from that what you will.

There's also the consideration that Bulbasaur has two types - it is part poison-type from beginning to end. Charizard gains a second type. Squirtle is the only one that is pure water-type for all three evolutions.

Warsilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#12 Warsilver
Member since 2010 • 291 Posts

@GameSpot: Fire pokemon are for wimps. Go Bulbasaur!