Age of NES/SNES-era retro-gamers?

baroomps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

Edited By baroomps

Poll Age of NES/SNES-era retro-gamers? (20 votes)

I'm 0-10 and play old 2d games. 0%
I'm 10-20 and play old 2d games. 5%
I'm 20-30 and play old 2d games. 50%
I'm 30+ and play old 2d games. 45%
I'm 0-10 and do not play them. 0%
I'm 10-20 and do not play them. 0%
I'm 20-30 and do not play them. 0%
I'm 30+ and do not play them. 0%

I'm curious to know how many younger gamers actually play older games, specifically of the NES and SNES era. If that's you, what kinds of games do you play and what do you think about them?

• 
Playertwo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#1 Playertwo
Member since 2017 • 20 Posts

Might want to redo your poll. NES and SNES were two completely different generations (1987 and 1991 I think).

I got properly into games at around age 7 in 1996. So four years either side of that... See what I mean.

Also I had a Mega Drive, not a SNES ;)

Hth

Avatar image for deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By deactivated-5bb25e4a41d76
Member since 2016 • 372 Posts

@playertwo: OP's poll is asking if you play oder games and if so, how old are you. That said, it does specifically ask about "younger gamers" then goes on to list 30+ as an option. Glad to see I still fall into the "younger" category :-p

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3  Edited By thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

Also 20 to 30 is to big an age range, I'm 30 and grew up playing SNES, however someone who is 20 would likely have grew up playing ps2 /GameCube era of games.

baroomps

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 baroomps
Member since 2017 • 2 Posts

@thehig1: You're right, maybe I should have asked in 5-year increments but it just seemed like too many options and I got lazy. I hoped the replies would supplement the numbers.

Anyway, my logic was that a game console is "current gen" for 4-5 years, with many not adopting the next gen right away. This, combined with the fact that many people have older sibs who get them into gaming, means anyone in their 20s-30s very likely had exposure to an NES or SNES as a kid (or a similar SEGA). Judging by the responses so far, it seems to be people in their late 20s and up who play, so nothing surprising here.

What I'm looking for are people who weren't naturally exposed to these systems as a kid (maybe grew up with ps2) but ended up getting into them anyway, for whatever reason. My central question being: do those older games have value outside of nostalgia?

You would want to believe so, but the poll is saying otherwise...

Avatar image for deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 deactivated-5e5d7e6d61227
Member since 2009 • 619 Posts

I remember getting the SNES in 1991 from my mother's boyfriend at the time and having the chance to play Super Mario World for the first time. Around the same time, I was finally old enough to play my dad's NES and I got to play Super Mario Brothers for the first time; which included Duck Hunt. I know it is kind of backward, but Super Mario has always been a lifelong favorite. My youngest child's room is actually completely covered with Mario memorabilia, stuffed animals, posters, etc.

@playertwo said:

Might want to redo your poll. NES and SNES were two completely different generations (1987 and 1991 I think).

I got properly into games at around age 7 in 1996. So four years either side of that... See what I mean.

Also I had a Mega Drive, not a SNES ;)

Hth

Steve5XG

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Steve5XG
Member since 2018 • 180 Posts

I am not only playing modern video games, but also enjoying the pleasure to play my old ones. Sometimes I play Metroid for Nes just because is simply awesome. It reminds me of my old times when I was a little kid. Don't forget those video games have a very impressive gameplay and that's something devs need to have in mind while developing a game.