Zack and Wiki (Wii) If you buy it this week I officially hate you (56k) Update

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 gaminggeek
Member since 2003 • 14223 Posts

Gamepro-review 4.25/5.00

"Zack & Wiki is a terrific game that will stick with you for a long time. I'm already looking forward to a squeal."

Thanks to everyone for the reviews :)

1UP.com's review of the game 9.0

"Despite its off-putting box art and name and its misleadingly childish presentation, Zack & Wiki: Quest for Barbaros' Treasure is a monumental step forward for Wii game design. Hopefully ushering in a second generation of similarly focused and truly innovative games, it plays to all of the system's strengths and cleverly disguises its limitations: inseparable, tailor-made use of motion control, 24 levels of profoundly satisfying puzzles to solve, and a perfect setup for cooperative family play. It should tickle the intellects of all but the most strictly action-oriented gamer, and despite its small handful of mechanical problems, it emerges as an immensely entertaining, endlessly imaginative challenge that's an absolute must-play for Wii fans and detractors alike."

Gametrailers-review

Score 8.4

Nintendo Power 9.0

- Combines clever use of the Wii remote and positively brilliant puzzle design
- Variety is astounding
- Piecing it all together comes with a great sense of satisfaction
- You will be scratching your head with some regularity, the puzzles are never so esoteric to leave you feeling cheated
- Charm to burn; with an energetic sense of humor and an appealing visual ****reminiscent of Wind Waker.
- One of the Wii's best-looking titles; not for technical merit but because of the care that went into creating a very complete aesthetic.
- Animation is especially fantastic
- 20+ hours; adventure is plenty long - never, ever drags
- Tons of extra stuff to do.
- Concern about name of game; may not do well at retail because of it.
- Truly deserves to be a big hit
- One of the system's most creative, entertaining titles.

Gamespot's review.8.5

IGN-review is up 9.0

"The end product is one of those welcomed surprises - an unpredictably top-quality undertaking whose winning marriage of sometimes-genius environmental puzzles and beautiful graphics will suck you in. It also perfectly encapsulates what I always hope for but seldom see from third parties: an original Wii project that really makes the most of the console. And don't' forget, Z-Dub retails for $39.99, $10 cheaper than most Wii games. I've stated it before and I'll happily state it again: buy Zack & Wiki."

I hear that it's out in America soon? Is it? *echoes* :evil: My, SANDWICH?!!! :evil:

It's not out till late december in europe so if you somehow manage to purloin your copy before then, I hate you!

There has been a wealth of new media recentely but I've been reluctant to view the gameplay vids in case I see spoilers. Here are some screens, I may update with some more media. It depends on how much you annoy me.

Capcom Gamers' Day 07 Trailer

Capcom Gamers' Day 07 Gameplay Montage

Preview

GC 2007 Trailer

Japanese Trailer

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Skylock00
Member since 2002 • 20069 Posts

Your threatof hatred means nothing. I'm a moderator, you already hate me. :P

But yeah, I've been stoked about this game for a while, and will gladly buy it as soon as I can ;)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
I can't wait for this... It is supposedly going to be at my house on the 25th.
HiResDes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 HiResDes
Member since 2004 • 5919 Posts

Your threatof hatred means nothing. I'm a moderator, you already hate me. :P

But yeah, I've been stoked about this game for a while, and will gladly buy it as soon as I can ;)

Skylock00

Skylock, I feel threatened by his post as I'm literally shaking in my boots, make him take it down now :(

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Skylock00

If it makes you feel any better, GG, supposedly the Japanese release date of Z&W isn't until after the US and European launches, IIRC.

Until then, I'm ravishing the notion that the game is only going to be 40 bucks to pick up. :)

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts
Then you're REALLY going to hate me because I'm going to start playing it today!
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

Then you're REALLY going to hate me because I'm going to start playing it today!AlexN

it would be fantastic if you did a blog for it and updated it as you played along, though i'm guessing it's not high profile enough to make it worth your while doing that.

AlexN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 AlexN
Member since 2003 • 9000 Posts

[QUOTE="AlexN"]Then you're REALLY going to hate me because I'm going to start playing it today!bugsonglass

it would be fantastic if you did a blog for it and updated it as you played along, though i'm guessing it's not high profile enough to make it worth your while doing that.

That and I am fully embargoed on talking about it until next week, so no dice. But hey, I'll just say I'm looking forward to playing it. I've heard good things from the people who previewed it.

Sharvie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#9 Sharvie
Member since 2006 • 8895 Posts
I'm looking forward too it. It'll be the first game that i've bought for my Wii in over 2 months! :D
PlasmaBeam44

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 PlasmaBeam44
Member since 2007 • 9052 Posts
Living in America is great. You get the games before most people.
Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts
Living in America is great. You get the games before most people. PlasmaBeam44
Basically, it just sucks for Europeans. I mean, Japan and NA get fairly similar release dates for things, but Europe just gets screwed.
Dark_Knight6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Dark_Knight6
Member since 2006 • 16619 Posts
Have fun hating me beacuase I'll be enjoying Zack and Wiki next tuesday.
bugsonglass

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 bugsonglass
Member since 2004 • 5536 Posts

[QUOTE="PlasmaBeam44"]Living in America is great. You get the games before most people. Jandurin
Basically, it just sucks for Europeans. I mean, Japan and NA get fairly similar release dates for things, but Europe just gets screwed.

I'm not complaining about this game coming here slightly later.

What's a month and a half when we've had to wait something like 9 months for Elebits, Trauma Centre and Super Paper Mario (although it has to be said that we did get an extra game freezing glitch in the last one which made the wait all worthwhile :P ).

Avatar image for deactivated-5e836a855beb2
deactivated-5e836a855beb2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 deactivated-5e836a855beb2
Member since 2005 • 95573 Posts

(although it has to be said that we did get an extra game freezing glitch in the last one which made the wait all worthwhile :P ).bugsonglass
:lol:

9 months for Trauma Center and SPM :( Weak. Elebits was only interesting to me because it came out very near the beginning.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts
FINALLY! I great (I should say good) third party game for the Wii.
Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts
FINALLY! I great (I should say good) third party game for the Wii.Gunraidan
Trauma Center says "Hello".
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
*gets smacked across the face by amazing Zack & Wiki pictures*

Wow... I guess this is what I get for not paying attention to the game... >_>

I might look into buying this after all. :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
If only I had enough money...:(
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

I love the art st-lye. Awesome.

This is how third-party Wii games should be made.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Gunraidan

[QUOTE="Gunraidan"]FINALLY! I great (I should say good) third party game for the Wii.Brain3000

Trauma Center is a Wiimake, this game is ground up for the system. Big Difference.

Brain3000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Brain3000
Member since 2003 • 2857 Posts

[QUOTE="Brain3000"][QUOTE="Gunraidan"]FINALLY! I great (I should say good) third party game for the Wii.Gunraidan

Trauma Center is a Wiimake, this game is ground up for the system. Big Difference.

Its still a good/great 3rd party game on the Wii, with a sequel that look to improve on everything in the game.
Greyhound222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Greyhound222
Member since 2005 • 2899 Posts
[QUOTE="bugsonglass"]

[QUOTE="AlexN"]Then you're REALLY going to hate me because I'm going to start playing it today!AlexN

That and I am fully embargoed on talking about it until next week, so no dice. But hey, I'll just say I'm looking forward to playing it. I've heard good things from the people who previewed it.

Damn! Anyway,why did they cancel Burning Questions? That was awesome.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Gunraidan

Its still a good/great 3rd party game on the Wii, with a sequel that look to improve on everything in the game.
Brain3000

That sequel isn't out yet. And it's a wiimake (more of a enhanced port) of the one for the DS. I'm trying to imply that this is the first ground-up great third party game for the Wii.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Skylock00

[QUOTE="Brain3000"]Its still a good/great 3rd party game on the Wii, with a sequel that look to improve on everything in the game.
Gunraidan

That sequel isn't out yet. And it's a wiimake (more of a enhanced port) of the one for the DS. I'm trying to imply that this is the first ground-up great third party game for the Wii.

Given how it turned out, Trauama Center might as well simply be considered built from the ground up for the Wii. The controls are very different, and there's a strong number of modifications to the core gameplay, in addition to extra missions and such that make it a different entity from the original DS version by a notable amount, with the sequel only taking these changes further.

I'd give it props from being the first game for the platform that really felt like it was made for the system in almost all regards.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Gunraidan

Given how it turned out, Trauama Center might as well simply be considered built from the ground up for the Wii. The controls are very different, and there's a strong number of modifications to the core gameplay, in addition to extra missions and such that make it a different entity from the original DS version by a notable amount, with the sequel only taking these changes further.

I'd give it props from being the first game for the platform that really felt like it was made for the system in almost all regards.

Skylock00

I agree with you. I will be a man and admit that I was wrong. :(

But still I consider this to being the first great third party game designed and thought up with the Wii in mind. :P *Trauma Center was thought up on the DS*

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
I can't believe these Wii games are coming out to AU 2 MONTHS after Japan and US dates....WTF is wrong with this industry????!?!?!? I'm so going to import from Europe for this game...i'm sick of playing the waiting game :evil: It's totally not fair.
TrueReligion_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 TrueReligion_
Member since 2006 • 11037 Posts
I'm really excited for this game. The art style is fantastic, and some of the puzzles in the game seem really great. I'm glad it's coming out so soon.
Spirit_of_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Spirit_of_87
Member since 2003 • 2423 Posts

[QUOTE="Gunraidan"]FINALLY! I great (I should say good) third party game for the Wii.Brain3000

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core says "Heaven or Hell!":P

Great 2D fighter (cla$$ic controller) by a "3rd party" made even better with the use of the Wii fighting stick. Which, just came out last week.

Anyway, I will be picking up Zack and Wiki next week and will be playing it sometime in December. Too busy playing Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core and Gate of Thunder:D

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

Next week is all about Ratchet and Clank, so no Zack and Wiki for me. I will give it a rent after I finish R&C though.dvader654

I can't believe Ratchet & Clank is already done. It seems like Insomniac didn't spend too much time on it.

Iga_Bobovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Iga_Bobovic
Member since 2007 • 518 Posts

OMG, OMG, OMG

You must all listen to the IGN Wii-k in Review. They are gushing over Zack and Wiki

Download it here!!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/828/828949p1.html

For the lazy, a summary stolen from neogaf :twisted:

Zack and Wiki
- Was supposed to have the exclusive review on Zack and Wiki up tonight, but they couldn't complete it - stuck on a really hard (but awesome) puzzle.
- Maybe half-way through the game, and don't have any concerns about the length (about 15 hours).
- Difficulty is great, ramps up as the game progresses. Everytime you step into a new level, you're confronted with more new and unique puzzles.
- Puzzles and controls are lots of fun. Definitely recommend it - will be an editor's choice. Go and preorder it right now. One of the best 3rd party games on Wii. One of the very few Wii games that simply could not be replicated on another console. A "must-have title".
- The puzzles are challenging, you may need to even get help from friends (which you can). "Best designed puzzles in a decade" - probably superior to Zelda. "The quality and consistency of these puzzles is just insane."
- Don't have many complaints - wish they would supply more puzzles through WiiConnect24, sometimes need to use exact motions yet sometimes it's pretty much guess-work, sometimes trial-and-error gameplay might annoy.
- But it's a really good game. Saw the GameInformer review - definitely not a mid-7's game.
- Really smart puzzles and really beautiful (though sometimes framerate takes a dip). The animation is awesome - looks like you're watching a cartoon. Lots of polish and little elements that many other developers would not even think about including. "Insane production values."
- Next week there will be massive coverage of the game.

Off to listen to the rest!!

selbie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 selbie
Member since 2004 • 13295 Posts
I swear this game is becoming more like the excitement of mario with each bit of news ^__^ There is no doubt it will be a sleeper hit as long as they advertise it well.
gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gaminggeek

Then you're REALLY going to hate me because I'm going to start playing it today!AlexN

Son of a !!!!! :cry:

*looks up to the sky, fists shaking in rage*

KHHHHAAAAAAAAAAAAAANNNNNNNNN!!!!!!!!!! :evil:

gaminggeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gaminggeek

Until then, I'm ravishing the notion that the game is only going to be 40 bucks to pick up. :)

Skylock00

As of being a moderator wasn't enough, as if owning Zack and Wiki earlier wasn't enough. You also get it at 40 dollars while I'll be paying at least $70 :( I double, triple hate on you! Khhhhhhhhaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn!!!!

Double Khaaaaaaaaaaaaannnnnnnnnnnn :cry:

KeeperofDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 KeeperofDingo
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts

[QUOTE="Brain3000"][QUOTE="Gunraidan"]FINALLY! I great (I should say good) third party game for the Wii.Spirit_of_87

Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core says "Heaven or Hell!":P

Great 2D fighter (cla$$ic controller) by a "3rd party" made even better with the use of the Wii fighting stick. Which, just came out last week.

Anyway, I will be picking up Zack and Wiki next week and will be playing it sometime in December. Too busy playing Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core and Gate of Thunder:D

I think I love you for mentioning the new Guilty Gear XX: Accent Core. (Joking aside, its good to know that at least someone else is playing that game.)

On topic - Zack and Wiki comes flying out of the shadows and smacks people around for not paying closer attention to it.
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Gunraidan

OMG, OMG, OMG

You must all listen to the IGN Wii-k in Review. They are gushing over Zack and Wiki

Download it here!!

http://wii.ign.com/articles/828/828949p1.html

For the lazy, a summary stolen from neogaf :twisted:

Zack and Wiki
- Was supposed to have the exclusive review on Zack and Wiki up tonight, but they couldn't complete it - stuck on a really hard (but awesome) puzzle.
- Maybe half-way through the game,
and don't have any concerns about the length (about 15 hours).

Iga_Bobovic

This game sounds hardcore! :)

-Spock-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 -Spock-
Member since 2006 • 7072 Posts

[QUOTE="PlasmaBeam44"]Living in America is great. You get the games before most people. Jandurin

The Wii not being region-free only compounds the misery.

fastesttruck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 fastesttruck
Member since 2005 • 25353 Posts
Lucky you getting to play the games befor they are even out for the rest of us. You got your self one hell of a job Alex :) keep up the good work and fun :)
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Skylock00

Anyway that IGN preview of a review is very exciting. Now I cant wait to play this game.

dvader654
You should just buy it ASAP, even if you don't get to it until after Ratchet and Clank. :P
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Skylock00

I'm on a tight budget right now, Zack misses the cut. And yes I am aware I am kind of wasting a game on RE: UC but I am to big of a RE fan to pass it up.

dvader654
Do you plan on getting Umbrella Chronicles before or after SMG, since both are coming out at the same time? ;)
Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Skylock00
[QUOTE="Skylock00"][QUOTE="dvader654"]

I'm on a tight budget right now, Zack misses the cut. And yes I am aware I am kind of wasting a game on RE: UC but I am to big of a RE fan to pass it up.

dvader654

Do you plan on getting Umbrella Chronicles before or after SMG, since both are coming out at the same time? ;)

The second its out, SMG ships one day early so I will have one whole day with that game alone, the next day I get RE. I will play a few levels but I am pretty sure I wont be able to tear myself away from SMG. The good thing about RE:UC is that its pick up and play, easy to play in pieces.

My god FE comes out for the Wii somewhere in the middle there as well, I can't understand anyone saying the Wii does not have a good lineup. FE I will wait, I am just finishing up the GC one so I am not in a rush to play another. Too many games, man, too many, my problem is that I have to get a 360, thats what will suck up all my money.

Understandable, of course, I'm just wondering how someone can't pick up Z&W, especially given how it's only 40 bucks, as opposed to 50, making it cheaper than pretty much any other new game coming out on the Wii for the most part...or any other console for that matter. :)
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#46 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I've been having an ongoing battle with myself about wheter or not I should buy this game next week. I've been looking forward to it but I just didn't know if it was worth getting so soon.

But....once I saw the amazing screen shots you just posted I have to say thank you. I'll be picking this up next week. My Wii deserves it.

Skylock00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Skylock00

Its only $40... still I shouldn't. I get a free rental every month at BB and I want to play Zack badly just not as much as others I am saving up for, so I will use the rental on it. I know a game like this needs the sales, I could hold off and just buy it in a few months, butI really want to play it now.

dvader654

I view Z&W as being kind of like Okami in the sense that the most dangerous thing that people can think of is "Oh, I want to play it, just not yet," then after a few months, Capcom gets up in arms because of the game's poor sales from too many people thinking that way, and act like the Wii isn't worth supporting, or the team behind Z&W isn't worth supporting anymore. *Shrugs* I'm weird like that.

Regardless, my feelings is that a game like Mario, or even RE: UC isn't going to need help getting sales, since those are established franchises that fanbases are already going to pick up pretty heavily. Z&W is a much larger risk by Capcom, and seeing strong, immediate results will simply reinforce to the company that there is a market on the Wii for strong third party entries, even with Original IPs.

Hence why Z&W is, for me, a day one purchase, even if I don't get a chance to play it for a month or so.

Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Gunraidan

I view Z&W as being kind of like Okami in the sense that the most dangerous thing that people can think of is "Oh, I want to play it, just not yet," then after a few months, Capcom gets up in arms because of the game's poor sales from too many people thinking that way, and act like the Wii isn't worth supporting, or the team behind Z&W isn't worth supporting anymore. *Shrugs* I'm weird like that.

Regardless, my feelings is that a game like Mario, or even RE: UC isn't going to need help getting sales, since those are established franchises that fanbases are already going to pick up pretty heavily. Z&W is a much larger risk by Capcom, and seeing strong, immediate results will simply reinforce to the company that there is a market on the Wii for strong third party entries, even with Original IPs.

Hence why Z&W is, for me, a day one purchase, even if I don't get a chance to play it for a month or so.

Skylock00

Dude you like went inside of my brain and got what I think and like posted it on here. :)

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts

Skylock00

I'm that way too.  I always try and buy games that I want the day they come out to reward the people that made it.  Waiting for a price drop, or to find it used just seems insulting for some reason.  I don't know why I feel like my one sale will make a difference.  It sure didn't with Okami.