Xbox still holding up?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts

After the admitted downfalls of the 360, I was wondering if everyone's original Xbox is still running like the first day you bought it. My guess is that it has. For this reason I think it makes it the better fo the two Microsoft platforms quite honestly. So, is your Xbox still running perfectly?

ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts
I don't own an xbox, but from what I hear that thing is as durable as tank
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#3 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Still works like the first day I got it. Never even had a single file corrupted or a single disc it couldn't read.

My 360, however is a different story. It's much newer, yet the disc tray has all kinds of issues. It always has to have a disc inside of it for it to open when you press open, otherwise you have to press it like 50 times before it does it. The memory card door to the first memory card slot literally just fell off one day.

And I treat my stuff well. I'm nearly 30, so I'm not some kid that gets angry at my system and kicks them or something. I don't have any kids or a dog to ruin it. I don't haul it around with me everywhere either. The 360 is simply a piece of junk. I so wish I would have spend the dough on a PS3 instead. Not just for that reason, but also because PS3 has a lot more games that are more my style. I'm so sick of FPS.

CADMAN_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#4 CADMAN_3
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts

My Xbox is still running good. My 360 elite is going good so far (knock on wood) but I've only had it for a short time. I think MS really screwed up by dropping the Xbox. They should have kept on supporting it like Sony did with the PS and PS2. They would have still made some money off of it. So it makes you wonder when the time comes for the next gen will MS drop the 360 like they did with the Xbox. HUGE MISTAKE MS !!!

Nismology

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#5 Nismology
Member since 2009 • 649 Posts

Mine still functions perfectly, however it gets hardly any use.

Talldude80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#6 Talldude80
Member since 2003 • 6321 Posts

yep mine works great. i was just using it a few minutes ago (for a couple games that are not BC) Midway treasures 1 and 2. Love those compilation games. Stupid that they never added them to the BC list for the xbox360..... idiots

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emerald_Warrior

My Xbox is still running good. My 360 elite is going good so far (knock on wood) but I've only had it for a short time. I think MS really screwed up by dropping the Xbox. They should have kept on supporting it like Sony did with the PS and PS2. They would have still made some money off of it. So it makes you wonder when the time comes for the next gen will MS drop the 360 like they did with the Xbox. HUGE MISTAKE MS !!!

CADMAN_3

I heard Microsoft had a contract with some hardware maker that made some chip or drive in their systems (don't remember what exactly). The contract was running out, and Microsoft didn't want to renew since they were focusing on the new system anyways. Makes perfect business sense. It was just bad timing.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

yep mine works great. i was just using it a few minutes ago (for a couple games that are not BC) Midway treasures 1 and 2. Love those compilation games. Stupid that they never added them to the BC list for the xbox360..... idiots

Talldude80

Notice something about the compliation games on the Xbox. I donot think they added those so that way you have to buy the games off XBL and not have them for free on the Compilation package.

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts
Mine is still the same system I got in January of 2002 but has since gone through 4 different DVD drives, and has had its hard drive replaced. So no, it's not still running like the day I bought it. My launch PS2 and Gamecube (also bought in January of 2002) both still work great (though I did clean my PS2 a couple times).
ohthemanatee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ohthemanatee
Member since 2010 • 8104 Posts

[QUOTE="CADMAN_3"]

Emerald_Warrior

I heard Microsoft had a contract with some hardware maker that made some chip or drive in their systems (don't remember what exactly). The contract was running out, and Microsoft didn't want to renew since they were focusing on the new system anyways. Makes perfect business sense. It was just bad timing.

actually, what I heard was that microsoft and Nvidia, (the compay you referring to) had some falling out over the renewal of the contract, either they wanted the graphics chips at a lower price or nvidia wanted to sell them at a higher price.

Seeing as how this deal wasn't renovated it became legally impossible to build new xbox's, and so the 360 was rushed

LJSEXAY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 LJSEXAY
Member since 2007 • 1866 Posts
Mine is still working fine.
LynnTerra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#12 LynnTerra
Member since 2010 • 190 Posts

This is slightly OT but I'm curious who the last player online was after Xbox shut down live for it. Last time I read it waslike 17 players were still connected in Halo.

JoetheUndying

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JoetheUndying
Member since 2005 • 87 Posts

The only thing the xbox held up was the consumer!

I'm kidding, I actually love this system. It's a beast of a console, and seems to be working well.

savebattery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 savebattery
Member since 2009 • 3626 Posts
Some early Xbox models have problematic DVD drives, but the console as a whole is relatively well made. I bought mine at launch, so I had to replace the drive twice. It came with a Thomson, which sucked. I got a Philips (which was the newest available at the time), and it also sucked. Then I got a Samsung drive and it's worked great since. I can also say that Hitachi drives are nice.
Emurozii

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Emurozii
Member since 2010 • 269 Posts

Still works like the first day I got it. Never even had a single file corrupted or a single disc it couldn't read.

My 360, however is a different story. It's much newer, yet the disc tray has all kinds of issues. It always has to have a disc inside of it for it to open when you press open, otherwise you have to press it like 50 times before it does it. The memory card door to the first memory card slot literally just fell off one day.

And I treat my stuff well. I'm nearly 30, so I'm not some kid that gets angry at my system and kicks them or something. I don't have any kids or a dog to ruin it. I don't haul it around with me everywhere either. The 360 is simply a piece of junk. I so wish I would have spend the dough on a PS3 instead. Not just for that reason, but also because PS3 has a lot more games that are more my style. I'm so sick of FPS.

Emerald_Warrior

This might be my new sig.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5c8e4e07d5510
Member since 2007 • 17401 Posts
The disk drive died on me. Then again, every disk based console I've ever had has had disk drive problems. My Gamecube, Xbox, 360, PS, and old PC have all had disk drive failures.
PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts
My XBox is still running perfectly even though it sat in my friends basement for 4 or 5 years before I bought it about 2 months ago.
mamagod

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 mamagod
Member since 2009 • 146 Posts

Mine just doesn't read discs, so I can still stare at the startup menu when I feel like it.

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#19 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

My Xbox is still running fine, BUT I changed the original HArddrive for a bigger cheaper one. My mistake. I also used it as my ONLY Media player for a while, which meant the disctray was probably opened and closed around 20 times per day (Music CDs, Movies, Games etc) It still works well, but the sound it makes as the disctray opens make me think that it's time to start looking for a new one soon. Also I've had corrupted files (probably because of the Hard drive). I love my Xbox, but I'm afraid it doesn't have long. I don't have an Xbox360, so I can't compare.

Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Emerald_Warrior

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emurozii

Did I say something funny? :question:

PersonNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 PersonNinja
Member since 2008 • 405 Posts

[QUOTE="Emurozii"]

[QUOTE="Emerald_Warrior"]

Emerald_Warrior

Did I say something funny? :question:

I think its supposed to be funny that the 360 is built cheaper... maybe? idk. My 360 got RROD, I sent it in, haven't had a single problem since but when I sent it in I had a door covering the USB ports and when I got it back I didn't. The PS3 is probably better hardware wise but it doesn't have as strong of an online community.
Easports48

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Easports48
Member since 2005 • 1761 Posts

Mine still functions perfectly, however it gets hardly any use.

Nismology
Same here...
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

Mine just doesn't read discs, so I can still stare at the startup menu when I feel like it.

mamagod
It's not too difficult to open the system and replace the DVD drive, if you wanted to play it again. There are about 6 long screws that require a torx driver, then the cover slides off the top to reveal the hard drive on the right, DVD drive on the left each with their own power plugs connected to a single regular computer IDE cable. If you didn't want to replace the drive you could remove the cover to the DVD drive and clean the actual laser lens with some alcohol and q-tip (very gently). Youtube has some great tutorials also.
gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
i never owned one so i actually just picked up a mint Halo green version off of ebay today for $60 w/ 15 great games included. I've been hearing many people talking about their original xbox lately.