Would you still buy games for legacy systems if they made new ones?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

As the question above says: would you still buy games for your classic systems if they made new ones? For example if new PS1 and SNES games were still made, would you be interested in them? Note I'm not talking about homebrew or unlicensed games but real, licensed new games. Of course in the case if that would still be possible. I would certainly be interested.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

I would, absolutely. I think that the longer programmers tinker with what a machine can do, the more innovation reveals itself. I think there could be some amazing stuff done on those platforms in present day. I was just playing "NAMCO Museum" last night - Galaga & Mappy are favs - And I thought "These games are fun despite their 'simple' graphics and sound."

They should be making more stuff. I'm sure there's a limited underground market... Bands still issue LPs and 8-Tracks occasionally... But it would be nice to see what people could do today. I think there could be some amazing stuff. Yes.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#3 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts
As long as they didn't want $60 for them, then sure.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#4 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

I would, absolutely. I think that the longer programmers tinker with what a machine can do, the more innovation reveals itself. I think there could be some amazing stuff done on those platforms in present day. I was just playing "NAMCO Museum" last night - Galaga & Mappy are favs - And I thought "These games are fun despite their 'simple' graphics and sound."

They should be making more stuff. I'm sure there's a limited underground market... Bands still issue LPs and 8-Tracks occasionally... But it would be nice to see what people could do today. I think there could be some amazing stuff. Yes.

MonkeySpot

not necessarily, its true that devs can get more out of a system , but there is a limit, if a commercial PS1 game would be made today , it wouldnt look any different than a PS1 game made in 2000.

its also because there wasn't any new PS1 devkit.

ie, if a game like Uncharted 3 would be ported to the PS1 , it would still look like this (to be fair , it would look better , as this is TR1 , but you get the point)

Id be more interested in unreleased games being released.

trick_man01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#5 trick_man01
Member since 2003 • 11441 Posts
I don't think it is necessary to create games for legacy systems in this day and age. Especially since developers are able to capture the essence of those games in modern consoles (specifically referring to Megaman games that have recently come out).
magnax1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#6 magnax1
Member since 2007 • 4605 Posts

If they were good, then obviously yes.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#7 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Hell yeah I would.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
For sure, unless they decided to charge full price for them.
Warhawk_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Warhawk_
Member since 2006 • 1497 Posts

Wouldn't mind as long as they are not charged full price like the modern games.

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts
Would love to :(
armouredpriest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 armouredpriest
Member since 2004 • 471 Posts

I've proved that I would having purchased games like Pier Solar (released this year for the Genesis/Mega Drive), Star Odessey (Also for the Genesis), Last Hope (released in 2007 for the Dreamcast version), and waiting for Sturmwind (Also Dreamcast).

kittensRjerks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kittensRjerks
Member since 2010 • 3802 Posts

Absolutely I would. I'd just hope they'd keep the price down.

Blueresident87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 8

#13 Blueresident87
Member since 2007 • 5904 Posts

Well, Mega Man 9 and 10 are both original games that were released in classic fashion. Technically, the NES could support them. These games were released with that idea in mind; putting out a new game with a complete retro feel. The fact that theywere new Mega Man games is just awesome.

I would defenitely buy games for the NES if they were still being released.

MonkeySpot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 MonkeySpot
Member since 2010 • 6070 Posts

With all due respect to the people who say a limit to the tech is a limit to the game, I put up examples like "Patapon" where the graphic elements are simplistic yet the gameplay is deep and addictive. I think that there is still room to show brilliance within the medium, my brother is a professional painter (he does portrait work), and I have seen some of the most expressive art within the most limited of materials... Art is achieved. Sometimes in the most breath-taking ways.

Interviews I've seen recently with guys who programmed for Atari and other early developers talk about how they actually had a lot of fun trying to figure out how to get the most out of what little they had. Games have grown over the last 30+ years, and concepts like rhythm games such as "Patapon" weren't in the ether back in the day. I've heard myths about "DOOM" done on a 2600 by an enterprising indy programmer. So when I think about game systems from the NES onward, I think there could be some really interesting stuff done on a Genesis, the SNES, etc. because those were some powerful little systems but I think that hardware can be overtaken by tech advances long before the juice has been completely squeezed from it properly. If that makes any sense. There are some really amazing minds out there in the Indy world, some Gonzo programmers who can look at something sideways, and make art happen. They could do it on those platforms. That's my point.

The bottom line, though, is the Bottom Line. The truth is that there's very little money in it even if it can be done. Some helpful posters have listed recent releases for 16-bit and 32-bit consoles (thank you! Contributions appreciated!)... But it's not front-page news to most because it's never going to sell CoD numbers.

Y'know what would kill? "Black Ops" on a 16-bit system! That would make me laugh SO hard! Not the MP, just a campaign mode. Single Player.

:lol:

I really do think there's room for art to happen on older platforms. But because no one's going to be able to feed their cat let-alone a family on making Blops for the Genesis, it'll never see the light of day. I think people who say "But they make those sorts of games for current-gen" are sort of missing the geek-point of doing it on legacy platforms...

... I love my Kindle. It's amazing that I can have 1000 books with me on a flight. But I still love to hold a book, turn the pages, dog-ear the page of a paperback and stick it in my back pocket.

Y'know?

So, jammin' a cart into the console, picking up that D-pad & two-button controller, there's a certain thrill to it for me that I would gladly buy into again. Because I don't quite get that feeling when I put "Sega Genesis Collection" into my PS3. It's not the same. Still great games, but not quite the same.

:D

hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#15 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts

yes, probably

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts

Hell yes if Nintendo re-released Legacy versions of The NES, SNES, N64, GameCube, I would buy new games for them. Nintendo might consider this as a survival stratagm when the economy goes into ressession. Their are enough working Nintendo old School consoles of the 8bit/16bit/64bit/128bit. Just redesign the hardware casing The NES, The GameCube were not very pleasing to the eye. When there were new. I like the N64 and the SNES because the design was simetrical/identical on both sides. NES and Gamecube were to box-ish a Rectangle and Cube. Plus the NES top loader was the ugliest Nintnedo console ever released. I never bought one for that reason.

Nintendo's consoles were designed to last. I just recieved a "free" NES with Star Soldier, Air fortress and Tiger heli. 3 old school Shoot them ups. Hard as hell but old school fun. Back in the day Nintendo entertainment system games were hard as hell. It is amazing that Nintnedo managed to succeed with the NES. When it was an active system. the console was ugly, the carts were ugly and the games were hard as hell. The system was under powered since it is 1983 technology which was inferior compared to Sega Master System and NEC Turbo graphics 16.

But today Videogames seem to be more desposable for some reason. The Xbox and Xbox 360 don't seem to have unquantifable legacy charm of Nintendo first 3 systems the NES, SNES and the original Gameboy.

Yes I would buy New games for the NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Gameboy, Gameboy advance. etc. Only Nintendo could pull off the revival of it's legacy systems. Microsoft, Sony, Sega, SNK, Atari, NEC, Apple, or anyone else could not. The Big "N" could make a go out of reviving and releasing new games for it's many "Nintendos"

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 nameless12345

The GameCube were not very pleasing to the eye.

Megavideogamer

I have to disagree here. I think it's easily one of the prettiest consoles :)

Why do you think only Nintendo could re-release their old systems btw? I can see Sony, Sega and even Atari doing so too. Infact Sega and Atari still make "plug-in-TV" Mega Drive or Atari 2600 type mini consoles (even gamepads).

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

nameless12345

Why do you think only Nintendo could re-release their old systems btw? I can see Sony, Sega and even Atari doing so too. Infact Sega and Atari still make "plug-in-TV" Mega Drive or Atari 2600 type mini consoles (even gamepads).

I like the design of the Gamecube, the only problem is that stupid handle, its quite out of place. also my GC is that barney-like purple colour :P , but since I got it for basically free Im not complaining.
kingmav222

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19 kingmav222
Member since 2004 • 493 Posts

Yes definitely, but wouldn't pay full price for them.

amari24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#20 amari24
Member since 2007 • 1899 Posts

[QUOTE="Megavideogamer"]

nameless12345

Yeah, there's the Atari 2600 flashback, and the Sega Zone 40, which is basically a redesigned Genesis. I'm actually surprised we aren't seeing more companies do this.
Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#21 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts

YES YES YES!!! I would stop buying games for my PS3 and Wii if this happened.

gokuofheaven

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gokuofheaven
Member since 2004 • 3452 Posts
Well of course. But it has already evolved to PSN and XBLA games. I would however like to have a retail copy with a nice color manual, box-art, nice colorful disk for collecting purposes.
Ashley_wwe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 Ashley_wwe
Member since 2003 • 13412 Posts
If they did decide to do it, and if the games weren't also on current gen (which I would just get instead), then sure :). Although, for the odd games I may be interested in getting, let's say, a PS1 game of the same game that was released on the Xbox 360 because it would be pretty interesting. :)
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Emerald_Warrior

YES YES YES!!! I would stop buying games for my PS3 and Wii if this happened.

Shenmue_Jehuty

I probably would, too. But this just isn't gonna happen. They can released these types of games through online networks now.

Allicrombie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#25 Allicrombie
Member since 2005 • 26223 Posts
I proably would, if I still had my legacy consoles.
lensflare15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 lensflare15
Member since 2010 • 6652 Posts

Sure, as long as long as they were still good. It would be pretty cool...

soulless4now

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#27 soulless4now
Member since 2003 • 41388 Posts

I would, but it would depend on what kind of genre the game is.

LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
I proably would, if I still had my legacy consoles.Allicrombie
THIS
megagene

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#29 megagene
Member since 2005 • 23160 Posts
It is my secret dream that one day this becomes a reality.
coltard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#30 coltard
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts

i wish this was possible

CaptainAhab13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 CaptainAhab13
Member since 2010 • 5121 Posts
$30 or less, I'd be interested. The world *needs* a Dreamcast rebirth. :D
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Emerald_Warrior

The world *needs* a Dreamcast rebirth. :DCaptainAhab13

Yes indeed it does, as well as a rebirth of:

• NES
  • SNES
  • Sega Genesis
  • Sega Saturn
  • PS1
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Darkman2007

the biggest problem with such a rebirth was how to make the consoles, in most cases, the hardware is simply too old and not available anymore.

you could got for those clone systems which use emulation on a chip , but frankly thats not feasable for anything above SNES level , heck they don't always do a good job with Mega Drive games, so any sort of clone console for a PS1 or heaven forbid, a Saturn , is nearly impossible without costing quite a bit (new PCs have issues running Saturn emulation, let alone a £20-30 chip)

although seeing some games for them would be interesting to say the least

Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

There have been a few new NES games to come out in recent years, most notably Battle Kid: Fortress of Peril, and most new ones end up for sale either on AtariAge or Retrousb. There was also a Sega CD/Genesis dual capable RPG to come out called Pier Solar.

I believe Battle Kid sold enough to get a sequel soon, and Pier Solar had at least 2 different released versions.

On the other side are legacy games getting released quite often on current-gen systems that are only slightly altered like those in the Dreamcast Collection/Sonic's Ultimate Genesis Collection or are considered remakes (like Ocarina of Time and Star Fox for 3DS). Evidently people still enjoy old-gen stuff and are still willing to pay money for it.

cronomagus36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 cronomagus36
Member since 2009 • 12663 Posts

Sure. If the games are well-made and don't cost too much, it would be a good thing since with today's technology, retro-sty|e games would be easy for developers to make and it gives people a reason to hook up their old systems again.

AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

Not sure what you guys are talking about :P There are still new releases for a few Legacy consoles if you look hard enough.

Just last year Pier Solar and the Great Architects was released for the Sega Genesis/Mega Drive and it is an abosutely fantastic RPG.

The Dreamcast get a couple of new releases every year:

2007: Last Hope

2008: Wind and Water: Puzzle Battles

2009: DUX, Rush Rush Rally Racing, Irides:Master of Blocks, Last Hope: Pink Bullets.

2010: Fast Striker

2011: Sturmwind, Gunlord

AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#37 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

I'd buy some for sure. I'm a vinyl freak myself. I rarely buy CDs, for the same reasons. I like the format of LPs, the big covers, lyricsheets, turning the sides. Yeah people think I'm crazy, but it's the same with Legacy games. I like the boxes and manuals. I think the virtual consoles are basically good ideas, but this whole thing about not having the physical cart, CD or whatever feels uncomfortable in a way.

/short answer, yes I would!

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts
For everything but the N64 unless someone releases a new controller with an improved analogue stick. It feels so cheap and clunky now.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Darkman2007
For everything but the N64 unless someone releases a new controller with an improved analogue stick. It feels so cheap and clunky now.tomarlyn
never tried them myself, but some people swear by some 3rd party N64 controllers, claiming they are much better than the standard controller. might be worth looking into
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nameless12345

[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]For everything but the N64 unless someone releases a new controller with an improved analogue stick. It feels so cheap and clunky now.Darkman2007
never tried them myself, but some people swear by some 3rd party N64 controllers, claiming they are much better than the standard controller. might be worth looking into

I heard the Hori N64 pad is good:

Perhaps this pad would be more suitable for N64? Seeing how the D-pad and hence the left side of the original pad is barely used. But then again I like the Z-button position on the N64 and the grip the middle part gives you. Although the original analog stick really is rather cheap.

aryoshi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 134

#41 aryoshi
Member since 2007 • 1729 Posts
I'd do it, like say, if Mega Man and 9 and 10 were released on the NES, i'd pick those up in the blink of an eye. I wouldn't mind if a couple of unreleased games were released, like.. That old Hellraiser game they were gonna put out. It looked like it could've been fun.
Kage1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Kage1
Member since 2003 • 6806 Posts

Probably not.

tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 tomarlyn
[QUOTE="tomarlyn"]For everything but the N64 unless someone releases a new controller with an improved analogue stick. It feels so cheap and clunky now.Darkman2007

Yeah I need to do something. Cleaned out my controller's a while ago and a ton of powdered plastic came out the analogue stick housing units. Greased up the gears with vaseline too which helps but it still feels clunky. If you ever take one apart its surprising how cheaply constructed it is.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 tomarlyn

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="tomarlyn"]For everything but the N64 unless someone releases a new controller with an improved analogue stick. It feels so cheap and clunky now.nameless12345

I heard the Hori N64 pad is good:

Perhaps this pad would be more suitable for N64? Seeing how the D-pad and hence the left side of the original pad is barely used. But then again I like the Z-button position on the N64 and the grip the middle part gives you. Although the original analog stick really is rather cheap.

That looks pretty cool but the D-Pad position is bizarre. Is true that nothing really used it much to my knowledge though.