Would you rather share games with your friends, or buy it and support the devs?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Captain_Swosh69
Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Captain_Swosh69
Member since 2005 • 1012 Posts

i would buy and encourage my friends to buy as well, tho some would btch about it. also, can u believe the reboot tomb raider didnt achieved its targeted sales? how expensive is it to produce? my god, if 3.8 mil is not enuff, i fear for the industry and the gaming future, u know what i mean?

Miroku32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

#2 Miroku32
Member since 2006 • 8666 Posts
I would buy some games but also share with my friends.
JML897

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 JML897
Member since 2004 • 33134 Posts
"Hey man can I borrow that game for a little bit if you're done with it?" "No, buy your own and SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!" What kind of shitty friend does that?
JustPlainLucas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 226

#4 JustPlainLucas
Member since 2002 • 80441 Posts
As I say to everyone who says, "But games are so expensive to make!" Why should my rights be taken away because companies' budgets get overblown? If they think they can spend a 100 million on a game and try to get it back by selling it at 60 dollars a pop, let them go under. If you choose to support a dev, more power to you, but to blame other people for gaming on their own budgets for putting studios out of business who have no sense of what a budget is is ridiculous.
Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#5 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Why no mooch option on the poll? I would prefer to get all my games for free via borrowing from friends. But alas, they have shyte taste in games. Since I only support the devs that deserve it, I don't pay full retail on the vast majority of my games.

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Captain_Swosh69
i read an article somewhere that capcom foresaw that this generation, game development gonna cost more, so they have been outsourcing some of their games. these costs maybe unavoidable. but if ur so fine with the small devs going under, wouldnt that just hurt the industry when all thats left are just the big companies. its kinda look like that now anyway. plus, i feel that its wrong to share one game with say for example, five of your friends. i think that just go beyond, even tho u have the right to do what u want with it, i think the game makers then would be taken advantage of. if u just share with one, i dont know what to say, sharing seems kinda prevalent. thats why there's been all this talk about DRM, taking a percentage over second hand games.
Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Captain_Swosh69

Why no mooch option on the poll? I would prefer to get all my games for free via borrowing from friends. But alas, they have shyte taste in games. Since I only support the devs that deserve it, I don't pay full retail on the vast majority of my games.

Namgis
would u support buying the following: red dead redemption, metro last light, bioshock infinite, GTA4, GTA5, batman arkham city, batman arkham origins, the last of us? i mean exactly what games versus what do u support in favor off? what kind of game so shyte do ur friends buy? mickey mouse?
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

I stopped sharing games quite a while ago. I stopped sharing games on PC around the time I started buying everything digitally, I never shared games on my phone, and I stopped sharing games on my console when I got a manual back that had been used as a coaster.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#9 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

would u support buying the following: red dead redemption, metro last light, bioshock infinite, GTA4, GTA5, batman arkham city, batman arkham origins, the last of us? i mean exactly what games versus what do u support in favor off? what kind of game so shyte do ur friends buy? mickey mouse?Captain_Swosh69

I own RDR:GotY, GTAIV and Arkham Asylum, pre ordered GTAV. Will be picking up TLoU, Beyond:TS, Deadpool, Revengeance and MGSV new also. I support good games from companies I believe are doing good things. No those that are constantly trying to fleece it's consumers. EA comes right to mind.

So in your eyes MM is sh!t? I wouldn't go that far, I had a decent time with Epic Mickey 2. In my eyes, a game is trash to me if it is more fun to play with others. I don't, nor have I ever, seen the point in MP. I'm just fine experiencing it myself. My friends are all about the MP, shooters and more shooters. If it's not those, then it's sports games.

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Captain_Swosh69

[QUOTE="Captain_Swosh69"]would u support buying the following: red dead redemption, metro last light, bioshock infinite, GTA4, GTA5, batman arkham city, batman arkham origins, the last of us? i mean exactly what games versus what do u support in favor off? what kind of game so shyte do ur friends buy? mickey mouse?Namgis

I own RDR:GotY, GTAIV and Arkham Asylum, pre ordered GTAV. Will be picking up TLoU, Beyond:TS, Deadpool, Revengeance and MGSV new also. I support good games from companies I believe are doing good things. No those that are constantly trying to fleece it's consumers. EA comes right to mind.

So in your eyes MM is sh!t? I wouldn't go that far, I had a decent time with Epic Mickey 2. In my eyes, a game is trash to me if it is more fun to play with others. I don't, nor have I ever, seen the point in MP. I'm just fine experiencing it myself. My friends are all about the MP, shooters and more shooters. If it's not those, then it's sports games.

sounds about right to give money to whom. i wouldnt buy, not even rent assassin's creed. call of duty, etc
SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#11 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts
I'm cheap when it comes to games. But I'm cheap when it comes to most things. If I tend to purchase used/discounted goods, why should I be any different when it comes to video games? I know you're asking about sharing games, but I see absolutely no problem with that either.
Justforvisit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Justforvisit
Member since 2011 • 2660 Posts

I still don't get the "used games are bad" mentality of those greedy bastards working in the video game industry

"Hey, you're not allowed to sell your car used, it costed the car manufacturer much money to make it"
"Hey, you aren't allowed to sell this book you just read, the author invested so much time in writing it"
"Hey, you aren't allowed to sell this DVD of the movie you saw, the film studio invested billions in making it"
"Hey, you aren't allowed to..."

Have you EVER seen any of those?

daveyf03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13 daveyf03
Member since 2005 • 418 Posts

What's the point of having a large collection of games if you aren't going to share them with your friends.  Is it so they can look pretty on your shelf?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44238 Posts
Definitely buy it and support the devs.
Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#16 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69600 Posts

"Hey man can I borrow that game for a little bit if you're done with it?" "No, buy your own and SUPPORT THE DEVELOPERS!" What kind of shitty friend does that?JML897

This sums it up nicely for me.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

It's not like it can only be one or the other. I've lent games to friends, and on occasion they enjoy it enough to go out and and buy their own copy so they can play it more. 

ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 ThaneKrios28
Member since 2013 • 1551 Posts

op i really dont think you understand what your asking. not everyone can afford a new game at 60 bucks a pop wich is why people tend to borrow from there friends. besides alot of games currently aint worth 60 bucks in regards to storymode

i myself rarley buy new games if anything i buy pre owned because it saves me some form of money and yea i may lend games to my cousin seeing as he is at school wich he pays for and is in europe for 2 months on his own dime

not everyone mootches off mommy and daddy

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

i would buy and encourage my friends to buy as well, tho some would btch about it. also, can u believe the reboot tomb raider didnt achieved its targeted sales? how expensive is it to produce? my god, if 3.8 mil is not enuff, i fear for the industry and the gaming future, u know what i mean?

Captain_Swosh69
None of the poll options really apply to me. I'd like to be ABLE to share games with my friends, though realistically I'd usually just rather have my own $hit and not have other people lending it too me. So...usually I buy my own games, but it's not really because I'm trying to "support the developers". If they want me to buy, it's on them to put out something that I think is worth buying. If they fail to do that, then f*** 'em. If I'm being a charity case with my money, then the poo struggling game developers are just about dead last on my list of people who I'm gonna be charitable to. If they want a sale, they need to earn it. "Supporting the developers" is not even remotely on my mind, I'm looking out for what's best for ME.
ThaneKrios28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ThaneKrios28
Member since 2013 • 1551 Posts
[QUOTE="Captain_Swosh69"]

MrGeezer
None of the poll options really apply to me. I'd like to be ABLE to share games with my friends, though realistically I'd usually just rather have my own $hit and not have other people lending it too me. So...usually I buy my own games, but it's not really because I'm trying to "support the developers". If they want me to buy, it's on them to put out something that I think is worth buying. If they fail to do that, then f*** 'em. If I'm being a charity case with my money, then the poo struggling game developers are just about dead last on my list of people who I'm gonna be charitable to. If they want a sale, they need to earn it. "Supporting the developers" is not even remotely on my mind, I'm looking out for what's best for ME.

so this! heck a lot of people love dragon age and i borrowed it from my cousin 2 years ago and i didnt like it. saved me 60 bucks from taking a gamble
branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#21 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts
As I say to everyone who says, "But games are so expensive to make!" Why should my rights be taken away because companies' budgets get overblown? If they think they can spend a 100 million on a game and try to get it back by selling it at 60 dollars a pop, let them go under. If you choose to support a dev, more power to you, but to blame other people for gaming on their own budgets for putting studios out of business who have no sense of what a budget is is ridiculous. JustPlainLucas
I agree. To me, playing video gaming is primarily about enjoying the experience by playing the game. My support of video game makers is not my primary concern as a gamer, but it does occur by purchasing their video games new or via digital download. If someone wants to get more involved with the financies of particular companies, I suggest investing in their stocks or working as an employee of video game companies.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#22 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

it's one thing to be self righteous and another thing to be misinformed. X buys games from Y store. Y store buys wholesale games from W company. Y store have already supported the company when they decided to buy the license to sell their products. If I wanted an LV bag, I could either go directly to an LV store (it's here when you support the publisher or manufactuerer) or go to an agent or an authorized distributor or a store that has license to sell video games or product of LV. Gamestop or any video game retailer already support devs when they buy big quanitites of their games and sell them to people. So you have to ways to support devs, either buy from an authorized retailer or buy directly from the publisher (Valve and Steam, XBL, PSN) who knows maybe EA will have their own store one day because they have a huge game collection.

Edit: So TC if you think buying a brand new game from a retailer and not a publisher means supporting the dev then you're wrong because it's the retailer you're supporting here and not the developer. 

Spartan_N7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spartan_N7
Member since 2013 • 581 Posts
I normally buy games, although occasionally I'll borrow or trade a friend for it.
Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Developers need to stop whining about used games taking money out of their pockets. I bought the game, I supported the studio and the publisher. Now it's mine to sell. People buy and sell used stuff all the time. Ever heard of ebay? I don't see anyone complaining about that. 

HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

If it's a quality game, I'll buy. Sharing or borrowing shouldn't be frowned upon since we have Gamefly and PS Plus.

Ricardo41

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Ricardo41
Member since 2002 • 1046 Posts

Here's another thought on the subject of "poor developers who will go to the poor house when folks sell/buy used games": anyone remember that New Yorker

profile of Cliffy B, where he made his grand entrance in a Maserati or whatever? That sure doesn't help the cause. Yeah, yeah, most game developers are on food stamps and barely clear $15,000 a year.

Game publishers are hellbent on squeezing as much money out of gamers as is legally possible (dlc that should have been in the game, releasing 30 different "pre-release" packages of a game, selling silly trinkets, etc.). Pardon us for wanting to preserve at least a tiny amount of leverage.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17663 Posts

Hmmmm.  Well, I don't really have any friends.  Soooooooo......I guess that only leaves support the developers.

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Captain_Swosh69

it's one thing to be self righteous and another thing to be misinformed. X buys games from Y store. Y store buys wholesale games from W company. Y store have already supported the company when they decided to buy the license to sell their products. If I wanted an LV bag, I could either go directly to an LV store (it's here when you support the publisher or manufactuerer) or go to an agent or an authorized distributor or a store that has license to sell video games or product of LV. Gamestop or any video game retailer already support devs when they buy big quanitites of their games and sell them to people. So you have to ways to support devs, either buy from an authorized retailer or buy directly from the publisher (Valve and Steam, XBL, PSN) who knows maybe EA will have their own store one day because they have a huge game collection.

Edit: So TC if you think buying a brand new game from a retailer and not a publisher means supporting the dev then you're wrong because it's the retailer you're supporting here and not the developer. 

gamingqueen
very enlightening, didnt see it that way. but trading used games and sharing do hurt a percentage of sales too in the end. i was just about to say that cliffy b, creator of gears of war said that most dev hate the ps4 no DRM restrictions. anyway, most replies here seems to be that they dont really care for the devs at all if the fail as long as they can get their hands on the game. saying the devs too rich. some said their too poor, which is fine, but what would u do if u had a choice? if ur just above the poor level a little? some said if they wanna trade, its fine u know, but my focus is on sharing. i guess its fine to trade, buy used games, share a little, but if u share 1 game with everybody, i thinks that predatory, i dont agree with that at all, just my feelings, that its someone's product to sell, u know? im just saying u shouldnt do it too much, or to those that seems to dont care at all, to at least think what u r doing to the devs, they r doing a business.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

Captain_Swosh69

very enlightening, didnt see it that way. but trading used games and sharing do hurt a percentage of sales too in the end. i was just about to say that cliffy b, creator of gears of war said that most dev hate the ps4 no DRM restrictions. anyway, most replies here seems to be that they dont really care for the devs at all if the fail as long as they can get their hands on the game. saying the devs too rich. some said their too poor, which is fine, but what would u do if u had a choice? if ur just above the poor level a little? some said if they wanna trade, its fine u know, but my focus is on sharing. i guess its fine to trade, buy used games, share a little, but if u share 1 game with everybody, i thinks that predatory, i dont agree with that at all, just my feelings, that its someone's product to sell, u know? im just saying u shouldnt do it too much, or to those that seems to dont care at all, to at least think what u r doing to the devs, they r doing a business.

It's not about which way you see it. It's how things actually work! :P Come on! If people don't buy games from Gamestop and they borrow or swap games then it's Gamestop who's going to be affected by that not the developers because Gamestop makes profit when people buy games from their store. Developers' claiming that swapping and borrowing games is hurting sales is BS because this happens in other industries too and they can't force everyone to pay everytime a game is swapped UNLESS swapping or sharing means duplicating the game. Again, it's the retailer who has to worry about people not buying new games from the store not the developer or supplier because they already sold the game once. 

Heinpienaar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#30 Heinpienaar123
Member since 2008 • 166 Posts

I buy my games on discount, why would I borrow my friends?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 gamingqueen

Heinpienaar123

Well you're supporting devs even if you were lending games :x

Happy now TC? Spreading misconceptions and self righteousness.

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Captain_Swosh69

[QUOTE="Heinpienaar123"]

gamingqueen

i'll share my games as well, cant be help if my friend ask, but they buy as well after if thats what u mean by lending, coz if someone lends, and then lendee doesnt buy, i dont see how thats support. its a percentage game.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="Heinpienaar123"]

Captain_Swosh69

i'll share my games as well, cant be help if my friend ask, but they buy as well after if thats what u mean by lending, coz if someone lends, and then lendee doesnt buy, i dont see how thats support. its a percentage game.

because the supplier already got their share when they sold copies to the retailer. You helped the retailer not the publisher.

Heinpienaar123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34 Heinpienaar123
Member since 2008 • 166 Posts

Steam is a great place to get games. Got some killer deals there.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#35 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Buy it.

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Captain_Swosh69

[QUOTE="Captain_Swosh69"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

gamingqueen

because the supplier already got their share when they sold copies to the retailer. You helped the retailer not the publisher.

sorry but i got this thinking that the retailer would buy more copies if they sold out, but that only happens in a world where everybody buys 1 copy per person.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="Captain_Swosh69"] i'll share my games as well, cant be help if my friend ask, but they buy as well after if thats what u mean by lending, coz if someone lends, and then lendee doesnt buy, i dont see how thats support. its a percentage game.Captain_Swosh69

sorry but i got this thinking that the retailer would buy more copies if they sold out, but that only happens in a world where everybody buys 1 copy per person.

what if they go out of print? Is it our fault that we borrowed?

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Captain_Swosh69

gamingqueen

im just making a point. im not saying u should not share. u just said the retailer is supporting the devs, im just saying if there's no sharing, the retailers would be supporting the devs MORE. just a point. not saying its your fault we're borrowing.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="Captain_Swosh69"] sorry but i got this thinking that the retailer would buy more copies if they sold out, but that only happens in a world where everybody buys 1 copy per person. Captain_Swosh69

im just making a point. im not saying u should not share. u just said the retailer is supporting the devs, im just saying if there's no sharing, the retailers would be supporting the devs MORE. just a point. not saying its your fault we're borrowing.

it's a right and no one can stop it.

Captain_Swosh69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Captain_Swosh69

gamingqueen

it's a right and no one can stop it.

gooooood
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
You're asking me if I'd rather share a hobby with friends who hold the same interest where such sharing is the result of entertainment for us all, or essentially lock the games away for non to see except me like Gollum and his ring because the Developers would profitt from it? Friends before a bunch of people I have never met before and thus hold no personal relationship with.