Would you ever buy a used/preowned game controller?

Avatar image for GalvatronType_R
GalvatronType_R

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Poll Would you ever buy a used/preowned game controller? (23 votes)

No 57%
Yes 43%

Gamers are not known for frequent, consistent, and thorough personal hygiene. $5 saved on a used controller won’t make a significant difference because I’m fabulously wealthy. And the extra $5 for a new pad is cheap insurance against grubby BO gamers guaranteed to never touch my stuff.

So put me down for a he||s to the no.

• 
Jendeh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Jendeh
Member since 2004 • 736 Posts

I think the only reason to ever do this is if it's retro.

I've seen enough console/controller repair videos on YouTube to know never to buy a used one.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11672 Posts

I have, so yes. Always been a fan of the local second-hand market anyhow when it comes to games

The second-hand controller I got was an arcade stick to be exact (HORI Real Arcade Pro 4). A brand new one when I got mine was the equivalent of a new console. And the one I bought was in excellent condition anyhow.

Doesn't matter if you have plenty of money sometimes, a good deal is a good deal.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3480 Posts

Never. You've got to imagine the number of times the controller has been abused, touched and pressed.

bonuspanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#5 bonuspanic
Member since 2022 • 19 Posts

for retro purposes, of course, because I can't imagine you'd find a factory sealed PS2 controller in the wild that often, but for PS4/X1/Switch, etc...I'll just get something from Amazon or some other site where the damn thing is packaged

bonuspanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By bonuspanic
@RSM-HQ said:

Doesn't matter if you have plenty of money sometimes, a good deal is a good deal.

you hit it right on the head, a good deal is a good deal!

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#7 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11672 Posts

@bonuspanic said:
@RSM-HQ said:

bonuspanic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 bonuspanic

@RSM-HQ said:
@bonuspanic said:
@RSM-HQ said:

perfect response to our budding bromance! LOL

pillarrocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#9 pillarrocks
Member since 2005 • 3640 Posts

My brother has bought used controllers and regretted it because they are garbage. Better to shell out the extra money for a new controller if possible.

Chronogos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Chronogos
Member since 2014 • 392 Posts

I've bought plenty of used controllers before. Sometimes they're in near mint condition. Other times I swap the parts out to rebuild another "like new" condition controller. Have you ever seen the price of a sealed N64 controller?! Forget that! I'll just buy used N64 controllers at thrift shops and clean them as needed. I've even seen some of the GameCube remake controllers intended for the Wii U going for absurd amounts of money. I'm not willing to spend much on a new controller, especially when they're disgustingly overvalued.

WladolfPutler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WladolfPutler
Member since 2022 • 256 Posts

If i can´t afford buyin a new original controller then i should probably look for some rather less expensive hobby...like collecting stamps or counting sheeps on a sheep-farm.

But looking at all those weird fetishes people can have these days, there probably are gamers who kinda get off on used controllers...preferrably still having sweat all over with that salty taste when licking over the buttons.

Naylord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Naylord
Member since 2006 • 1115 Posts

I just ordered a pair of Guncon 2s. Obviously used but still the best lightgun ever made.

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#13 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

If I was interested in its design, e.g. a limited edition controller that's priced fairly, then most likely.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#14 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58348 Posts

Maybe. It'd have to be something great and a good deal like a nice HOTAS setup from Virpil or something along those lines.

But I don't think I'd take a controller. Sometimes there's rubber bits on those things or porous plastic that feels good but it can hold a lot of bacteria and dirt and grime, and frankly if used often enough a controller can get beat up pretty quick.

Gamers are not known for frequent, consistent, and thorough personal hygiene.

We aren't?

Damn and here I thought daily showering, thorough scrubbing and washing of hands, and regular applications of deodorant were doing good.

But if it's all a moot point because, as a gamer, I'm genetically predisposed to just being a filthy animal then I guess I should stop and save water.