Would any else like for Nintendo to revisit the SMB2 formula?

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By The_Deepblue
Member since 2007 • 1484 Posts

I felt nostalgic yesterday for the weird, unique Super Mario Bros. 2 gameplay and visual style. I know the game was originally Doki Doki Panic! But the game has been “Mariotized” completely at this point. We see Super Mario Bros. 2 cameoed in games such as Super Smash Bros. series, but I think it would be cool if Nintendo made another New Super Mario platformer but in the vein of SMB2. I know it’s not everyone’s cup of tea. A friend of mine calls it “the lousy Mario game with the vegetables.”

Would you buy a reboot of it?

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 The_Deepblue

Well, that makes two of us /thread

Rewgle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#4 Rewgle
Member since 2022 • 412 Posts

It was actually my favorite of the NES Mario games. I liked that there was no timer, and I thought it was clever you needed to pull up and throw vegetables to attack stuff.

I think New Super Mario Bros. games are the best 2D Mario platformers, but it would be cool to see a 2D Mario game revisit this style. They need to revisit Subcon anyway.

The_Deepblue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 The_Deepblue

@rewgle: It’s nice to see someone say something positive about the New Super Mario Bros. games on a forum. I don’t think they’re the cream of the crop in the franchise, but they’re still among some of the best 2D platformers ever made. If Nintendo revisited the SMB2 formula in the New style, it would work very well. You pretty much have an entire sub-genre of platformer that Nintendo invented in SMB2, and it’s not even being used.