WORST CAMERA in game history making a "comeback"??

Guerrilla999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 Guerrilla999
Member since 2020 • 14 Posts

A camera that moves Independently of your input is a huge troublemaker because it so commonly interferes with your perspective

you know what I'm talking about... that system where the camera always swings behind your character whenever you move in any direction forcing you to feather the stick so you can maintain the perspective you want

I've always called this horrible video game fail "auto pan"

Uncharted 4 calls it "camera assist"

this system forces you to "drive your character" as if you have to put them in a positions... stop, and then look because you effectively have to fight the camera to look in One Direction and move in another

I believe this system was installed in early games as a "training wheels" theory to help players orient their camera but (just like training wheels) it limits your ability to look and move simultaneously causing your character to steer like a boat

most modern Blockbuster hits have abandoned this old trope and some are smart enough to have a system that you can turn off or on

I was horrified to learn the last two games I bought have no way to shut this Troublesome camera off so every time my character moves in any direction the camera tries to swing behind them as if it's trying to get a peek at their ass

this makes it difficult to effectively Strafe or step up to the edge of a drop off while looking down to precisely stop your character at the edge

some games are smart enough to have a look or aim feature that disables the dreaded "auto pan"

if only for a moment

Auto pan is not universally bad, it can be a really cool as long as its not universal whenever you move

I love the auto pan attached to the dash system of Gears of War because you can effectively use it as a quick glance and when your character dashes the camera tightens and shakes in a Super immerse feature that makes your character feel like they have weight and momentum

My gaming background is primarily in military simulation shooters and Action Sports titles however I love martial arts as well and used to play a lot of Fighters

I've noticed this feature is most common in Nerdy RPG style games

It's really Troublesome to see it creeping back in to video game design for some weird reason

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#2 RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Worst camera in game history making a comeback

We're getting a Remaster of Ninja Gaiden II? Why would they skip over Black/ Sigma; that the best one. .

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@guerrilla999:

I didn't mind "camera assist" with most games but I do prefer not having it. It always gets in the way and stops you from fully enjoying the graphics. Batman Arkham games had the same thing and it was annoying as hell when it came to fighting.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 0

#4  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Not sure I understand what this camera assist is in Uncharted 4, and I have played it (maybe I had it disabled?). Could you post some video footage of it so I can see what you mean?

VagrantSnow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#5 VagrantSnow
Member since 2018 • 645 Posts

I hate when they put it in PC games when you can literally look wherever you want with ease using the mouse.