Will you get into the videogame industry?

• 55 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

AbusementPark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#51 AbusementPark
Member since 2007 • 593 Posts

here are some fun videos about getting into it.

TheMierArmy
I never realised that game developers hate their jobs so much...
Teuf_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Teuf_
Member since 2004 • 30805 Posts
I have a question do you have to have good math or art skills to get into the industry. I know i'm going to be a programmer but it will help a lot of folks on the line to see if they want to even try to learning about it. Serge-Chrono

To be a programmer? Yes, you need to be good with your maths. At the very least, you'll probably need to be able to deal with some concepts from geometry, calculus, and basic physics (kinematics). At deeper levels (especially for graphics), you'll start to deal with sampling theory/discrete math, optics, and of course computer architecture.

As for art skills, they can certainly only help you as a programmer but I don't get the sense they're a requirement. I mean, in 99% cases its better to let the artists handle the art and leave the programmers to their code. :P
TheMierArmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#53 TheMierArmy
Member since 2003 • 5699 Posts
[QUOTE="TheMierArmy"]

AbusementPark

maybe cause he works for EA :P

monie11k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 monie11k
Member since 2006 • 927 Posts
[QUOTE="AbusementPark"][QUOTE="TheMierArmy"]

TheMierArmy

maybe cause he works for EA :P

I'd be full of hate also :lol: .

Serge-Chrono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 Serge-Chrono
Member since 2007 • 691 Posts

[QUOTE="Serge-Chrono"]I have a question do you have to have good math or art skills to get into the industry. I know i'm going to be a programmer but it will help a lot of folks on the line to see if they want to even try to learning about it. Teufelhuhn

To be a programmer? Yes, you need to be good with your maths. At the very least, you'll probably need to be able to deal with some concepts from geometry, calculus, and basic physics (kinematics). At deeper levels (especially for graphics), you'll start to deal with sampling theory/discrete math, optics, and of course computer architecture.

As for art skills, they can certainly only help you as a programmer but I don't get the sense they're a requirement. I mean, in 99% cases its better to let the artists handle the art and leave the programmers to their code. :P

(Uber bump)

I don't think as a programmer you would actually need artistic skills. At the moment I don't even know why I asked that question.