Will you buy dead island?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 Flavorysoup
Member since 2011 • 593 Posts

I have already pre-ordered it. So have 2 of my friends. And for some reason, my other friend won't because he says it's not realistic enough, cartoony zombies, and arcade gameplay. Through all of the fourms I have made and commented on the internet and gamespot, somepeople won't like the game, but nt because it's not realistic. We all know(except him) that it's going ot be realistic(for the most part). So, are you going to buy it? Why, or why not?

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#2 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

I have already pre-ordered Dead Island and have it paid off. I will pick it up.

Why? Because I wish to try it out and see if the game is fun to me and if it isn't, at least I gave it a shot. Tell your friend to stop judging the game when he hasn't played it yet. Play it first, then decide if it's going to be that horrible or not.

NiKva

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 NiKva
Member since 2010 • 8181 Posts

No, I will not be buying Dead Island. I've already played enough zombies this generation.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#4 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
Day one purchase.
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Vangaurdius
Member since 2007 • 671 Posts

No. It's Dead Rising on an island.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Elann2008

Vangaurdius
Why? Because it has zombies in it? Besides.. we haven't even seen enough of Dead Island to come to a conclusion as that.
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Vangaurdius

[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]

Elann2008

Why? Because it has zombies in it? Besides.. we haven't even seen enough of Dead Island to come to a conclusion as that.

No, because the gameplay is largely the same. And yes, there has been enough gameplay footage and press coverage.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Elann2008

[QUOTE="Elann2008"][QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]

Vangaurdius

No, because the gameplay is largely the same. And yes, there has been enough gameplay footage and press coverage.

The fact that Dead Island is a first-person game and DR being third-person is already LARGELY different. Dead Rising isn't as open as Dead Island, unless you count cramped shopping malls as open sandbox.
Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Vangaurdius

[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] Why? Because it has zombies in it? Besides.. we haven't even seen enough of Dead Island to come to a conclusion as that.Elann2008

The fact that Dead Island is a first-person game and DR being third-person is already LARGELY different. Dead Rising isn't as open as Dead Island, unless you count cramped shopping malls as open sandbox.

Camera perspective really doesn't change a game all that much other than making peaking around corners easier. And Dead Island is as much a sandbox as Dead Rising. Though Dead Island features actual sand.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Elann2008

Vangaurdius

Camera perspective really doesn't change a game all that much other than making peaking around corners easier. And Dead Island is as much a sandbox as Dead Rising. Though Dead Island features actual sand.

Camera perspective doesn't really change a game all that much? That's laughable. Turn Gears of War into a first-person shooter or Halo into a third-person shooter. I think it would change it by a whole lot.... I can't believe you said that.. LOL..

The only reason why I even responded to your comment is because you haven't even played Dead Island. I can't stand ignorant, unsupported comments like that. But I will move along now. We're derailing this thread...heh

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Vangaurdius

[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] The fact that Dead Island is a first-person game and DR being third-person is already LARGELY different. Dead Rising isn't as open as Dead Island, unless you count cramped shopping malls as open sandbox.Elann2008

The only reason why I even responded to your comment is because you haven't even played Dead Island. I can't stand ignorant, unsupported comments like that. But I will move along now. We're derailing this thread...heh

How is that ignorant. Watch gameplay footage and press coverage. Not that hard. You don't have to play a game to judge it when there's plenty of footage around.

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Elann2008

Vangaurdius

How is that ignorant. Watch gameplay footage and press coverage. Not that hard. You don't have to play a game to judge it when there's plenty of footage around.

Judge a game that you haven't played? I would understand if you're judging it by its visuals and graphics... art style.. that's very understandable. But to talk like you've played the actual game is laughable imho.

Going back to that other comment... Camera perspective doesn't really change a game all that much? That's laughable. Turn Gears of War into a first-person shooter or Halo into a third-person shooter. I think it would change it by a whole lot.... I can't believe you said that.. LOL..

Vangaurdius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Vangaurdius

[QUOTE="Vangaurdius"]

[QUOTE="Elann2008"] The only reason why I even responded to your comment is because you haven't even played Dead Island. I can't stand ignorant, unsupported comments like that. But I will move along now. We're derailing this thread...hehElann2008

Judge a game that you haven't played? I would understand if you're judging it by its visuals and graphics... art style.. that's very understandable. But to talk like you've played the actual game is laughable imho.

Going back to that other comment... Camera perspective doesn't really change a game all that much? That's laughable. Turn Gears of War into a first-person shooter or Halo into a third-person shooter. I think it would change it by a whole lot.... I can't believe you said that.. LOL..

Not really. Shoot things in that direction. The difference between those two is the cover system. Play a third person shooter without a cover system and things remain largely the same. It's not laughable. You don't need to play a game to see how the gameplay works.

Silentj0ker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Silentj0ker
Member since 2011 • 94 Posts
Still not convinced on it yet, plus resisitance 3 comes out same day... so yeah
Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#15 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

I've got it pre-ordered. Pretty excited about it, but of course there's always the chance it won't live up to expectations. But I've got my fingers crossed :D

What got my to buy it is the atmosphere - it's sad and tragic, like it should be if 99% of the population was killed off. I'm hoping the RPG aspects with weapons leveling and that sort of thing is good. I also like that you'll be able to drive cars (and drive them over and through zombies). That should be fun. The island setting and open world nature of it is right up my alley as well. Hopefully there will be tons and tons of sidequests to keep me busy for a good long time.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts
I am considering buying the game. Knowing that it does something that Dead Rising doesn't - two female leads to play as for a change instead of the ever generic male only lead or Left For Dead's one female lead and three male leads in both games - tempts me the most and is a refreshing change in such a game. I'm hoping the game cna be played all the way through solo instead of having to rely on others to help out if they can be bothered to put their pride aside and help out another gamer. I am disappointed that it doesn't allow for character creation. The free roam angle is also promising, I'm hoping there will be a lot to see and do instead of being pushed along a set path.
Kagai13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kagai13
Member since 2010 • 571 Posts
Hmm I would be a patriot if I bought it, another game from my country recognised by everyone, but well. I am afraid of Minecraft spiders. And dead bodies from Thief, those made of 10 pixels. So... Nay. I'd have a heart attack in 15 minutes if I tried to play it. But it seems to be going to be a really cool game and I'm upset that I'll miss it.
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
Got it pre-ordered on steam, It looks interesting and I've been following it since they released a video of it some years ago.
Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Flavorysoup

I'm sad because since I'm in europe for a while I have to wait 3 more days until it comes out D: It comes out here on the 9th, in the US it comes out on the 6th. sad, and then there was the nightmare of buying the game from overseas with an american credit card and nt paying 50 euros for it. That was complicated, so now for me, it's just time to wait.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#20 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Vangaurdius

Dead Rising is a cartoony, intentionally funny third person zombie game. This does not describe Dead Island the least bit, except for the zombie part. If you wanted to overgeneralize it, then it would be more appropriate to call it L4D on an island. But it is more than that also, especially since it has a singleplayer campaign. DI is also supposed to be less frantic, more slower and horrorfying than either DR or L4D.

Just-Breathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Just-Breathe
Member since 2011 • 3130 Posts
No, I already have L4D :P
jm92590

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jm92590
Member since 2004 • 375 Posts

The game really does not appeal to me at all, It's a steam sale title for me when the friends get bored some time in the future! :D

redskins26rocs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 redskins26rocs
Member since 2009 • 2674 Posts
Over at ign there is review preview it is a vid so can't watch with sound so kind of pointless but it says like fallout with zombies (guess ghouls don't count)
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#24 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

No, I won't be buying it

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
allready have it preordered, liked everything i was seeing at E3 and the like, got a little scared the game might not be worth while when i found out The Cartel was S*** and they were being made by the same people ( not sure how much they actually had in common or anything at the time ) so i went back to re watch gameplay and E3 coverage onlong with some newer gameplay videos and was reassured that the game would appeal to me enough still
AzelKosMos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#26 AzelKosMos
Member since 2005 • 34194 Posts

I had it pre-ordered forever ago as does a friend of mine. Co-op Zombie slaying with RPG elements and plenty of missions and characters. I don't understand why people wouldn't pre-order it XD

AbandonedFish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 AbandonedFish
Member since 2006 • 141 Posts

I had it pre-ordered forever ago as does a friend of mine. Co-op Zombie slaying with RPG elements and plenty of missions and characters. I don't understand why people wouldn't pre-order it XD

AzelKosMos

I almost pre-orderd CoJ:TC based on goodwill from previous CoJ games. So so glad I didn't.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#28 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I'm getting the game next week.

chicknfeet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#29 chicknfeet
Member since 2004 • 15630 Posts
Eventually, but not on day one. That's just silly and a waste of money. I'll get it when it get's a price drop and all the dlc they plan on releasing goes on sale or just comes in one GotY edition.
Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Flavorysoup

Eventually, but not on day one. That's just silly and a waste of money. I'll get it when it get's a price drop and all the dlc they plan on releasing goes on sale or just comes in one GotY edition.chicknfeet

I'm glad you have faith that it will be a good game. I hope so too.

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#31 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Nope taking a wait and see until I find out exactly how it turns out and what the single player entails, even then its only rental fodder imo. I love zombies and horror but im just not really feeling this one yet.
Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

im unsure of this game right now so im just gonna hold out and wait on the reviews to come out

ZenesisX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 ZenesisX
Member since 2008 • 1651 Posts

im unsure of this game right now so im just gonna hold out and wait on the reviews to come out

Flubbbs

Same.

If the game turns out to be something, I will pick it up later after a few price drops. At the end of the day though, it lost a lot of points with me when I learned that it has no offline co-op.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44535 Posts
Nope taking a wait and see until I find out exactly how it turns out and what the single player entails, even then its only rental fodder imo. I love zombies and horror but im just not really feeling this one yet.GodModeEnabled
Yeah I'm doing the same. I also love zombie games but there's so many other games I really want to get before this one that I've kind of put this one into the "perhaps get later" category.
Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

Bought it the other day on Fog

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#36 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

Man, I dont know. I want it to be good, but there is only one video of gameplay and it comes out next week. Thats not a good sign

Flavorysoup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Flavorysoup

Man, I dont know. I want it to be good, but there is only one video of gameplay and it comes out next week. Thats not a good sign

Shmiity

what are you talking about? There are alot of gameplay videos, but the main one is that 20 minutes of gameplay footage, and I'm guessing that's the one you saw.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
ill probably buy it from best buy when it comes out
Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Shmiity
YouTube is your friend. Really, this game has shown more gameplay than most other games typically do prior to their release.
boyd62

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 boyd62
Member since 2003 • 374 Posts

I picked it up for 34$ at green man gaming by using the savings plus the coupons, along with RO for 27$, for that value its worth it for me to buy it, rather then wait 6-7 months till it goes on sale on steam or through retail.

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#41 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts
No, not a fan of zombie games.
Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts
no from what ive read and seen it's a ripoff of four survivors you chose from and not only that they get talent trees (borderlands WoW rippoff at the same time here?) it will not be worth 60$ actually most games arnt worth that.maybe when it's 15$ or so i'll pick it up but it looks so unoriginal it's unreal.(though the graphics look actually amazing the visuals and stuff are awesome but just the whole thing is just.....no)
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 almasdeathchild
(its a l4d ripoff)
kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

I have already pre-ordered it. So have 2 of my friends. And for some reason, my other friend won't because he says it's not realistic enough, cartoony zombies, and arcade gameplay. Through all of the fourms I have made and commented on the internet and gamespot, somepeople won't like the game, but nt because it's not realistic. We all know(except him) that it's going ot be realistic(for the most part). So, are you going to buy it? Why, or why not?

Flavorysoup

"Realistic"? Threse are video games we're talking about, here. If I wanted something "realistic", I'd turn off my computer and buy a flight to Bagdhad or Kabul. I want fantasy and fun, that's why I play video games.

I'm not sure if I will buy Dead Island. Although it looks great, I like direct competition with other human players. In my view there simply isn't lasting power in co-op online games where the enemy is an AI. That's why versus mode in L4D and L4D2 was so much more fun than the co-op campaign mode.

kraychik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 kraychik
Member since 2009 • 2433 Posts

There's nothing wrong with this game being a "rip-off". The L4D franchise has a winning formula and sold very well, and they were arguably pretty fun games (although L4D2 wasn't so interesting, in my opinion). What's wrong with improving on such a formula? A lot of today's entertainment is a "rip-off" of something else that came before it. What matters is whether or not Dead Island is a good game, not whether or not it's completely original and not influenced by its predecessors. Is a Whopper a rip-off of a Big Mac? Is Stallone a rip-off of Arnold? If something works, go with it.

almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 almasdeathchild
im ok with some of the things but doing something like this four survivors on and island with zombies? cmon maybe next gen but it's to soon to start it doing it
Avatar image for deactivated-61cc564148ef4
deactivated-61cc564148ef4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 deactivated-61cc564148ef4
Member since 2007 • 10909 Posts

Looks so boring and slow, and boring.

raven_squad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#48 raven_squad
Member since 2007 • 78438 Posts
I had no intentions of buying it yet, but I managed to get it (for the PC) off of Green Man Gaming this morning for $33.71.

Even not having been all that excited for it, the notion of it being a "rip-off" of Left 4 Dead is kind of ridiculous to me. The two games strive for completely different goals as far as I can tell. And as if Left 4 Dead is the pinnacle of quality for a zombie game anyways. :P
Evolution-X0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Evolution-X0
Member since 2008 • 1740 Posts
I don't know, maybe... It's on the backburner atm.
Avatar image for UprootedDreamer
UprootedDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 UprootedDreamer
Member since 2011 • 2036 Posts
I will buy it once it goes down in price, zombies are getting as old as WWII for me.