Will the upcoming Silent Hill game be in first person view ?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SultaN-s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 SultaN-s
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts

Sorry if this was discussed before. But did they confirm anything regarding gameplay ? I want them to stick with the third person camera. First person view doesn't necessarily mean more scary. Remember how scary was Dead Space ( God rest its soul) ?

elkoldo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 elkoldo
Member since 2009 • 1832 Posts

@SultaN-s: No they didn't confirm anything , whether it's fp or not (not,if you ask me),whether it's PS4 exclusive or not (again,not, if you ask me) and so on.All they did was that they showed a worthless and almost pointless playable teaser(whatever that means) which was accompanied with lots of ridiculous ,artificial screams.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#3 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I disagree that FPS means less scary, because it limits your field of view to what's in front of you rather than all around you like in most other horror games. In my opinion, it's scarier when you're less aware of your surroundings and are less able to react quickly enough to noises and other strange happenings.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#4 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

I like the new first-person camera. It makes the game feel scarier.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Jag85: To me first person make the game feel less real.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#6 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

@wiouds: How so? First person is pretty much the way you would normally see. If anything, it's the most realistic viewpoint that could exist.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Only Kojima knows.

thehig1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#8 thehig1
Member since 2014 • 7537 Posts

First person would be pretty cool, the closer to penumbra the better

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#9 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@SultaN-s said:

Sorry if this was discussed before. But did they confirm anything regarding gameplay ? I want them to stick with the third person camera. First person view doesn't necessarily mean more scary. Remember how scary was Dead Space ( God rest its soul) ?

Kojima has never been known to make such a huge mistake as it would be to remove silent hill from its well made 3rd person perspective, so no i highly doubt that Silent hill will be a "youtube fodder" with cheap jump scares only a swedish muppet and the weakerminded people find good.

So PT had to be a PR stunt

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#10 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19544 Posts

@wiouds said:

@Jag85: To me first person make the game feel less real.

What do you mean by "less real"? First-person is how we all view the world in real life.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#11 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

Doubtful, considering they went to the trouble of hiring a famous actor for the main role.

Bardock47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Bardock47
Member since 2008 • 5429 Posts

I hope so, PT was great!

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13  Edited By deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

I feel conflicted on this... First P.T. actually freaked me out and made me jump and I believe part of it is due to the 1st person view. After playing that I downloaded Silent Hill 1 on PSN and feel it's a natural feel for 3rd person. Now, once I get to playing 2 and 3 I might have a better look at it, but I feel for freakishness I want 1st person. But judged off the first game I would still prefer a game under the silent hill name be 3rd person. What I can actually hope is that they offer both view modes, or spawns another 1st person horror game all together.

Also, P.T. was cool because it was just Ghosts, Silent Hill have very weird creatures, while creepy, I feel ghosts are more believable as real, and with the excellent sound design in P.T, I would prefer a new game based on P.T. where it doesn't focus on crazy creature design, but instead of actual paranormal stuff like Ghosts. All I can hope for is that this spawns 2 games all together.

Avatar image for bonesawisready5
bonesawisready5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 bonesawisready5
Member since 2011 • 4971 Posts

@Jacanuk: of course its a PR stunt. That isn't a bad thing. Demo is scarier than most games in recent memory. BTW Kojima says it will be a mix between both since he wants to include some first person.

http://whatifgaming.com/silent-hills-developer-deciding-between-first-person-and-third-person-point-of-view

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#15  Edited By Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@bonesawisready5 said:

@Jacanuk: of course its a PR stunt. That isn't a bad thing. Demo is scarier than most games in recent memory. BTW Kojima says it will be a mix between both since he wants to include some first person.

http://whatifgaming.com/silent-hills-developer-deciding-between-first-person-and-third-person-point-of-view

Hmm, this surprises me but still he keeps the 3rd person and hopefully it will be mostly in that. Also PT wasn´t scary its a demo after all.

natsm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16  Edited By natsm
Member since 2014 • 63 Posts

@ryangcnx-2 said:

I feel conflicted on this... First P.T. actually freaked me out and made me jump and I believe part of it is due to the 1st person view. After playing that I downloaded Silent Hill 1 on PSN and feel it's a natural feel for 3rd person. Now, once I get to playing 2 and 3 I might have a better look at it, but I feel for freakishness I want 1st person. But judged off the first game I would still prefer a game under the silent hill name be 3rd person. What I can actually hope is that they offer both view modes, or spawns another 1st person horror game all together.

Also, P.T. was cool because it was just Ghosts, Silent Hill have very weird creatures, while creepy, I feel ghosts are more believable as real, and with the excellent sound design in P.T, I would prefer a new game based on P.T. where it doesn't focus on crazy creature design, but instead of actual paranormal stuff like Ghosts. All I can hope for is that this spawns 2 games all together.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

They haven't decided yet but god I hope not.

@ryangcnx-2 said:

Also, P.T. was cool because it was just Ghosts, Silent Hill have very weird creatures, while creepy, I feel ghosts are more believable as real, and with the excellent sound design in P.T, I would prefer a new game based on P.T. where it doesn't focus on crazy creature design, but instead of actual paranormal stuff like Ghosts.

This makes zero sense. Ghosts aren't any more believable than creatures. They're also less interesting than insane creature design based on various characters' psychosis. P.T. also has nothing on the sound design of 1-4.

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

@Jag85: @mastermetal777: That is how we view the world but that not all that make some more real. The world push against me. Too me first person games are just breaking the forth wall and number changing.

Seeing someone getting bite by the monster make it more real than a monster poking the forth wall in first person.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I would love a first person Silent Hill...and also Dead Space. I really hate over the shoulder view points. FPS are the only ones I really get the most immersed in. Haven't been too much into a 3rd person game since Uncharted 2.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d307c5efcda
deactivated-57d307c5efcda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#20 deactivated-57d307c5efcda
Member since 2009 • 1302 Posts

@Pffrbt said:

They haven't decided yet but god I hope not.

@ryangcnx-2 said:

Also, P.T. was cool because it was just Ghosts, Silent Hill have very weird creatures, while creepy, I feel ghosts are more believable as real, and with the excellent sound design in P.T, I would prefer a new game based on P.T. where it doesn't focus on crazy creature design, but instead of actual paranormal stuff like Ghosts.

This makes zero sense. Ghosts aren't any more believable than creatures. They're also less interesting than insane creature design based on various characters' psychosis. P.T. also has nothing on the sound design of 1-4.

To me Ghosts are way creepier/scarier and more believable than weirdly designed creatures. PT actually made me jump and freaked out, the only thing closest to that was the Re generators or whatever they are called from RE4 and it was mainly because of their breathing. But they never made me jump, just making me dreading them. P.T.s sound design was simple but very effective and realistic, whimpering, babies crying and if you played with a surround sound it would set the hairs on my back straight up when I heard the ghost breathing behind me.

Every person has different levels of what scares them. Fancy weird Creatures in horror games to me are just about as scary as running into a Marlboro when your party is a low level in FF. Because then I can see how they are modeled out, I can see it's a creature with some blood spilled on it and it's 100% man made and has no existence. Personally I find Ghosts frightening and aren't 100% convinced that they don't exist. So it makes total sense, ghosts are something are way more possible in this world. Apparently it sounds like you could go spend the night in a graveyard and be able to sleep. I would be up all night long sweating to death. So you don't find stuff scary, that's why it doesn't make sense to you.

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

@ryangcnx-2: "To me Ghosts are way creepier/scarier and more believable than weirdly designed creatures."
Both are completely fictional beings in a video game.

"PT actually made me jump and freaked out"
Making someone jump isn't difficult and doesn't necessarily lead to any lasting, meaningful horror.

"P.T.s sound design was simple but very effective and realistic, whimpering, babies crying"
Cliche as hell. These have nothing on classic Silent Hill's "Oh god I don't understand what I'm hearing or where it's coming from but I don't like it".

"it's 100% man made and has no existence."
Like literally everything else you're going to find in a work of fiction.

ojmstr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#22  Edited By ojmstr
Member since 2003 • 1949 Posts

Ok guys listen up! You heard this from me first, Silent hill and No man's sky will be one of the first games released for the ps4 with sony morpheus vr headset support at the end of 2015. This is Sony's marketing strategy to get those devices out there to the masses. These titles will be perfect for Virtual Reality and the reason why Silent Hill all of a sudden can be played in 1st person is exactly because of what i just told you guys. Yoshida just said in a intervju with Verge magazine that their new slogan will be "experiencing is believing" instead of "seeing is believing". I personally can't f... wait to get my hands on the Sony vr headset in the last quarter of 2015 and jump into these two AAA vr games.

SultaN-s

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 SultaN-s
Member since 2011 • 85 Posts

@Black_Knight_00 said:

Doubtful, considering they went to the trouble of hiring a famous actor for the main role.

Yeah that's right ! I never thought about it Nice observation, man.