Why the hype for Starcraft 2?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

mikeneb430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 mikeneb430
Member since 2007 • 1036 Posts
All RTSs seems the same to me. Build an army, beat campaign build an army play online... Why the hype? I dunno much about RTSs so please fill me in.
Alaris83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 Alaris83
Member since 2004 • 1620 Posts
Well considering that people still fanatically play the original Starcraft, almost ten years later,  I think some hype is to be expected.
mikeneb430

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mikeneb430
Member since 2007 • 1036 Posts

Well considering that people still fanatically play the original Starcraft, almost ten years later, I think some hype is to be expected.Alaris83

ok but what is so special about it? What sets it apart from other RTSs? 

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts
To be honest, I don't know.  I really don't see what is so special about SC.  Apparently Korea has a Starcraft parade every year for it, so I must be missing something.
Cdscottie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#5 Cdscottie
Member since 2004 • 1872 Posts

[QUOTE="Alaris83"]Well considering that people still fanatically play the original Starcraft, almost ten years later, I think some hype is to be expected.mikeneb430

ok but what is so special about it? What sets it apart from other RTSs?

When it was released, most RTS makers always had issues with balancing the different sides. Starcraft came extremely close to this, while making the 3 races completely different gameplay style. Plus, the storyline allowed you to get into the game and actually feel like you were making a difference. Something that most games of that time laid to the side.

sjona

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 sjona
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts

All RTSs seems the same to me. Build an army, beat campaign build an army play online... Why the hype? I dunno much about RTSs so please fill me in.mikeneb430

well, you could oversimplify every single genre of games. FPS: you run around shooting after each other. for example. 

but as said above: this game(atleast the first) is, without a doubt the closest thing you come to a balanced game while it still maintain some diversity in the way each race plays. zergs are cheap but are great in large numbers and also good at rushing :P protoss: strong individual units. and so on and so forth.

im guessing you get my point. 

DerekLoffin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 47

#7 DerekLoffin
Member since 2002 • 9095 Posts

All RTSs seems the same to me. Build an army, beat campaign build an army play online... Why the hype? I dunno much about RTSs so please fill me in.mikeneb430

All FPS seem the same to mean: pick up a gun, shot a bunch of badguys, flip the occasional switch.

All RPG seem the same to mean: gain a level, beat the badguys, gain another level, beat the boss, get some new gear.

Really, all genera are really generic if you want to break them down to that simplistic a level.  If you don't like RTSs, or don't find them interesting, don't expect SCII to change your oppinion much.

The_Duke_Lives

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 The_Duke_Lives
Member since 2007 • 597 Posts

I'm taking a wild guess here, but people are probably excited about Starcraft 2 because they liked the first.

Robnyc22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Robnyc22
Member since 2007 • 1029 Posts

So...the same can be said for other genre's.

Like someone else above me said....

It can be said that most FPS games are simply about shooting things and throwing grenades, nothing more really beyond that....and most have the same cliched themes like either the theme of a futuristic soldier one-man-army single handedly battling against aliens / demons / cyborg in a fight to save Earth, or the same old WWII FPS theme, or the modern military action theme.........only a select few First Person Action games break from this mold.

It can be said most RPG's are either some Tolkien-like fantasy RPG, Space Opera RPG, or Futuristic Fantasy RPG where in many you simply wander around defeating enemies, gain party members, and level up, and many have the same old cliched themes such as these.

If you don't know much about RTS and never cared about it in the first place, you'll never get Starcraft and it's major impact on the genre.

......I'm not all that big into RTS either, and even I know that Starcraft was a major impact and contribution to the Strategy genre.

The announcement of Starcraft 2 is literally as big as the first announcement of Half Life 2.....not just to their respective genre's but to gaming as a whole.

Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts

And I'm sure people who don't like/know much about FPSs wonder why Halo 3 has so much hype too. Starcraft is hailed as one of, if not simply THE best RTS game of all time, selling over 14 million copies. In Korea it's practically a national sport. Which, considering that a decade (or close enough to it) is a LONG time in the gaming industry (hell, two generations of consoles came and went in that time), is pretty astounding.

Plus, the makers, Blizzard, have a near-flawless track record for making absolutely amazing games. Nearly all of which have graced 'best of' and 'top selling' lists. Highest-rated PC game on Gamespot? That's a Blizzard one, for the record.

VMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#11 VMan
Member since 2003 • 4940 Posts

I'm taking a wild guess here, but people are probably excited about Starcraft 2 because they liked the first.

The_Duke_Lives

Hmm....well....I guess that COULD be the case....yeah..., lol.

Just joking around!

Teuvan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Teuvan
Member since 2003 • 10151 Posts

This post is made of failure. Mostly because it implies that you haven't played Starcraft, for if you had you would cease the spewing of your blasphemous statements. 

assassin23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#13 assassin23
Member since 2003 • 3189 Posts
Play the original, come back and then answer your own question. K?
PikaPichu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 PikaPichu
Member since 2003 • 17813 Posts

Because the races are completely different from each other and the game's really balanced despite all that.

Revelade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#15 Revelade
Member since 2005 • 1862 Posts

It just seem to me to be the most balanced. The storyline actually interests me and the space setting is interesting.

F1Lengend

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 F1Lengend
Member since 2005 • 7909 Posts
Its not just the balance, it was the on-line play, single player (incredible story imo, really well presented) simplistic yet incredibly deep and most of all, one of the most fun games ive ever played.  Its a little too late to jump in now for the first time and be amazed, sure, but if you are a fan of the genre, you must acknowledge its greatness. 
Headbanger88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#17 Headbanger88
Member since 2004 • 5023 Posts

If you have to ask these questions, you've obviously never played starcraft. Go pick it up, it'll be like $10 at wal-mart. 

Goze

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Goze
Member since 2003 • 672 Posts

I agree.. OP, please try the game for yourself... The game's greatness is something intangible...

But if I were to rationalize it, I would say what a lot of posters have already said... The game's fine balance between three UNIQUE races has been something of a miracle in RTS history. In addition:

1. Some of the best voice acting and sound effects in all of video games.

2. Amazing campaign personalities and characters that come alive and make you sympathize with them.

3. Fast, fluid, dynamic gameplay that lends itself to all kinds of different strategies in the hands of a pro... Even 9 years after its release, the professional players in South Korea are STILL devising new strategies...

4. Multiplayer is the perfect competitive medium, with many many different strategies and playing styles. Best of all, it is EXCITING to watch even as a spectator, and that is why it is considered a national "sport" of S. Korea.

5. EVERY unit is useful throughout the game.

The list goes on and on... Seriously, you must experience it yourself to understand it...Â