Why has Ubisofts greatest franchise not had a game in seven years?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 0

#1 burgeg
Member since 2005 • 3599 Posts

You know the franchise I'm talking about. Rayman. Not since 2003 have we seen this awesome franchise. And no Raving Rabbids or DS Rayman 2 or any other crappy spin off titles there might have been dont count. Seven years. That's just unbelievable. This year we're at least finally getting a new Rayman, but even that is really just a little downloadable title. I have no doubt it will be a great game, but nevertheless it still isn't a main series game. It's not like the franchise just became crap! Rayman 1, 2 and 3 were all consistantly fantastic games. I want a new Rayman and I cant understand why there still isn't one.

enragedcritic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#2 enragedcritic
Member since 2010 • 212 Posts
I think the popularity has died down... since ubisoft is really into tom clancy games now like splinter cell and rainbow six..
YoBrandino

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#3 YoBrandino
Member since 2003 • 1546 Posts

They've anounced a new Rayman game ->http://www.gamespot.com/xbox360/adventure/raymanorigins/index.html

Yeah, it'll be a download, but it will depend on who this goes over to see if you'll get more after it.

annoyingdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4 annoyingdevil
Member since 2010 • 1222 Posts

DAMN i thought this was about prince of persia but rayman so forget it anyway

there are raymans on ds and iphone

sonofsmeagle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 sonofsmeagle
Member since 2010 • 4317 Posts

i know i want another rayman

but their not the franchise i'm holding out for i just want a new HALF LIFE seriously they better release Half Life 3 in 2 months or i'm gonna start killing people at Valve studios

annoyingdevil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 annoyingdevil
Member since 2010 • 1222 Posts

but their not the franchise i'm holding out for i just want a new HALF LIFE seriously they better release Half Life 3 in 2 months or i'm gonna start killing people at Valve studios

sonofsmeagle
we dont need some crap half life crap we need prince of persia ffs come one UBISOFT
fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#7 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

I remember good ol rayman with his floating hands and crazy hair do

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#8 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts
i dont think that i would call Rayman their greatest franchise.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#9 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I drifted away from platformers, after the N64 golden age, they all look boring and derivative to me...
Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

Platformers aren't hot anymore. At least not like they used to be. Game reviewers will slap a 9 on any goddamn shooter these days, but a platformer is lucky to see 8's. I have nothing against shooters at all -- in fact, they're probably my favorite genre, but they are represented so lopsidedly by the gaming press that it isn't even funny.

WhiteKnight77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 WhiteKnight77
Member since 2003 • 12605 Posts

In all honesty, I think Ubi's greatest franchise is the iL2 Sturmovik franchise. Oleg took his new game and is having someone else publish it. I wonder why?:roll:

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts
Primarily because platformers in any franchise aren't as popular as they were.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 burgeg

Platformers aren't hot anymore. At least not like they used to be. Game reviewers will slap a 9 on any goddamn shooter these days, but a platformer is lucky to see 8's. I have nothing against shooters at all -- in fact, they're probably my favorite genre, but they are represented so lopsidedly by the gaming press that it isn't even funny.

Shame-usBlackley

In my entire collection this generation I only own 1 FPS. Shooters being represented lopsidedly by the gaming press doesn't matter. I like what I like and I'm going to continue to buy platformers regardless of their popularity. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one either. I think platformers have had somewhat of a resurgance recently. This generation has had quite a few brilliant platformers, so I dont agree with that excuse for the lack of a new Rayman. You've got the Mario Galaxy games, NSMBW, DKCR, Sonic Colours, Several Ratchet & Clank games, Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts, Epic Mickey just to name a few great ones. Then there's a massive amount of brilliant downloadable platformers. Thankfully a new Rayman will at least be added to that great list.

So yeah I dont see platformers not being hot anymore is an excuse for the lack of a new Rayman game since 2003. Plenty of other developers are still making them.

seimagery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 seimagery
Member since 2009 • 135 Posts

The Rayman game for the N64 was amazing, the one with the green cartridge...can't remember the name. Another one like that would be perfect!

yellosnolvr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#15 yellosnolvr
Member since 2005 • 19302 Posts
[QUOTE="sonofsmeagle"]

annoyingdevil
we dont need some crap half life crap we need prince of persia ffs come one UBISOFT

^ obviously hasnt played any half-life games.
edinsftw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 edinsftw
Member since 2009 • 4243 Posts

[QUOTE="annoyingdevil"][QUOTE="sonofsmeagle"]

yellosnolvr

^ obviously hasnt played any half-life games.

Or any recent prince of persia Lol

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#17 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

Rayman: Origins is going to be a revelation

burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 burgeg

AtlanticRock

That trailer was awesome. A man...a vegetable....no no no....a thingamajig! I remember back at E3 when everybody was saying how much Ubisofts conference sucked. I begged to differ. The Rayman Origins announcement and trailer alone made it better than Microsofts.

hayabusatan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 hayabusatan
Member since 2010 • 134 Posts
Oh my gosh I love Rayman, but a new one was anounced a week ago so not long to wait OP.
burgeg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 burgeg

Oh my gosh I love Rayman, but a new one was anounced a week ago so not long to wait OP.hayabusatan
A week ago? Explain. I know there's Rayman Origins, which was announced months ago back at E3. Was a new proper sequel announced last week or something? How could I possibly have missed that?

Avatar image for Shame-usBlackley
Shame-usBlackley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#21 Shame-usBlackley
Member since 2002 • 18266 Posts

[QUOTE="Shame-usBlackley"]

burgeg

In my entire collection this generation I only own 1 FPS. Shooters being represented lopsidedly by the gaming press doesn't matter. I like what I like and I'm going to continue to buy platformers regardless of their popularity. I'm pretty sure I'm not the only one either. I think platformers have had somewhat of a resurgance recently. This generation has had quite a few brilliant platformers, so I dont agree with that excuse for the lack of a new Rayman. You've got the Mario Galaxy games, NSMBW, DKCR, Sonic Colours, Several Ratchet & Clank games, Banjo Kazooie Nuts n Bolts, Epic Mickey just to name a few great ones. Then there's a massive amount of brilliant downloadable platformers. Thankfully a new Rayman will at least be added to that great list.

So yeah I dont see platformers not being hot anymore is an excuse for the lack of a new Rayman game since 2003. Plenty of other developers are still making them.

Shooters being lopsidedly represented by the gaming press to an ignorant public that wants its tastes developed for it DOES. Shooters get all the limelight these days, because they are the new hotness. They aren't going to show a platformer because that isn't what little Teddy Bucktooth wants under teh tree for Christmas. He wants a f****** shooter, partially because, f***, that's mostly what's available, partially because that's what his friends are gonna be playing, and partially (even just a smidge) because the publisher was able to put some moronic quote like, "ITS TEH BEST GAM AH EVER PLAAYD! 10! -- IGN/Gamepro/Whoever" on the box, the review of which mysteriously wasn't out for the actual release of the game, meaning that sticker had to be arranged to be put on their well before the game even went gold.

The public are morons. The press just helps them feel better about it. Not only because they are like company, but because it's just a big game. A consumer would be just as well off calling the PR department of Activision and asking them for an honest evaluation of their game. Hell, most of the reviewers in the press want to get hired there anyway.

Further, 3 of the 7 games you listed are just now being released. If you want to argue that the Platformer is abundant, that's fine, but define what "abundant" means first, because I can list fifty shooters for every one platformer you mentioned, and I'm not kidding. I would be just as happy to see another genre replace the Shooter right now, but it isn't gonna happen anytime soon. The saturation point is getting there, but it takes years for tastes to shift. After all, the Platformer was once king of the market.

Finally, I just wanted to say that I love platformers too and would love to see a renaissance for them.

shadownicoy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 204

#22 shadownicoy
Member since 2008 • 114 Posts

new rayman when?

AtlanticRock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#23 AtlanticRock
Member since 2007 • 8131 Posts

[QUOTE="AtlanticRock"]

burgeg

That trailer was awesome. A man...a vegetable....no no no....a thingamajig! I remember back at E3 when everybody was saying how much Ubisofts conference sucked. I begged to differ. The Rayman Origins announcement and trailer alone made it better than Microsofts.

I thought I was the only one. I love 2D platformers and this one looks beautiful. I want Donkey Kong Country Returns so bad, but I'm broke.