WHY female gamers will never play RTS GAMES?!

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

User Lists: 0

#1 gfile
Member since 2007 • 1565 Posts

Prove me wrong, but i tkink no female ever tried TW series, my wife never do. She dont understand how can i play months and months...Medieval 2. She never understand that WAR thing that we men are into. Games make history...,and history made games...Thou, I would like to see girls playing TW, making some strategy moves,that will be awesome.:D..Want some female gamer thoughts too, please!!

TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#2 TriangleHard
Member since 2005 • 9097 Posts

Prove me wrong, but i tkink no female ever tried TW series, my wife never do. She dont understand how can i play months and months...Medieval 2. She never understand that WAR thing that we men are into. Games make history...,and history made games...Thou, I would like to see girls playing TW, making some strategy moves,that will be awesome.:D..Want some female gamer thoughts too, please!!

gfile

Go watch Starcraft tournament.

There are female Starcraft players and some of them are pretty darn good.

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 gfile
[QUOTE="gfile"]

TriangleHard

WHERE?
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 TriangleHard
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"][QUOTE="gfile"]

gfile

WHERE?

where else?

Youtube

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts
A lot of female players play rtses and tycoons. It's just rare to find them in grognard crowd
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#6 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts

I can't speak for all female gamers out there but I know that I personally don't like RTS games. I've tried them (Age of Empires) and just couldn't get into to it at all. The only RTS game that I actually like is Advance Wars....matter of fact I'm not sure if that even counts.

matthewjackman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 matthewjackman
Member since 2006 • 407 Posts
Wow. Sweeping statements that can't possibly be true. Great debate fodder there.
Jagazaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8 Jagazaar
Member since 2007 • 1023 Posts
Actually, my sister, who normally hates games, loves the 'Age' series (Empires, Mythology, etc). She refuses to try anything else and she's not very good, but still.
TriangleHard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 TriangleHard

I can't speak for all female gamers out there but I know that I personally don't like RTS games. I've tried them (Age of Empires) and just couldn't get into to it at all. The only RTS game that I actually like is Advance Wars....matter of fact I'm not sure if that even counts.

princesszelda

I don't think advance wars can be considered RTS.

isn't it turn based?

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#10 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]

TriangleHard

isn't it turn based?

Is grimgrimoire one?

Avatar image for HrolfTheStrange
HrolfTheStrange

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HrolfTheStrange
Member since 2006 • 490 Posts

gfile

Well I've known females who play RTSs, but I do see your point and I think it is simple if a little stereotypical I've found it for the most part true, Females do not seem to as widely be interseted in stradegy or wars or anything like that, I mean first off barely any females play chess and barely any female gamers play RTSs.

daf269

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 daf269
Member since 2007 • 76 Posts
Yeah I've never met a girl that likes those types of games, except my sister. She played the heck out of age of empires 2, back when it was cool. I think girls tend to lean toward simple RPG/action games.
Dezuria

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 Dezuria
Member since 2003 • 743 Posts
My wifes favorite type of game is RTS, mainly Warcraft III and Age of Empires 2/3. She also played World of Warcraft(and other mmorpgs) for a couple years.(along with me!)
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 gfile
My wifes favorite type of game is RTS, mainly Warcraft III and Age of Empires 2/3. She also played World of Warcraft(and other mmorpgs) for a couple years.(along with me!)Dezuria
Good for you, i only wish that ;)my shall do that!
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gfile
[QUOTE="TriangleHard"][QUOTE="princesszelda"]

gamingqueen

isn't it turn based?

Is grimgrimoire one?

I think i am not following that:::
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 gfile

princesszelda
THNX;) you made my point, it doesnt count!
Devouring_One

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#17 Devouring_One
Member since 2004 • 32312 Posts
my cousin is female and she plays starcraft
Duckman5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Duckman5
Member since 2006 • 18934 Posts

princesszelda

That's turn based.....how about Battalion Wars?

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 gfile
I meantotal wargames, any girl?
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts

princesszelda

Age of Empires is pretty hectic so I can understand why. Plus, the historic setting might turn people off. If you thought Age of Empires was hard to get into, you should try Empire Earth or Rise of Nations. I like these games but I can understand why people don't.

But if I could recommend a RTS for female gamers, GrimGrimoire's the best choice. It's a RTS that was designed specifically for a female audience in mind. These aren't my words but this is what the game's director said ina interview with 1up.com.

The game tanked in Japan but I highly recommend it. It's really quite good. Very much like Starcraft but with cutesy anime characters and wizard, elf, etc. themes. Plus, the artwork is absolutely beautiful to behold. Amazing piece of work.

Also, the upcoming Final Fantasy XII: Revnant Wings is a RTS hybrid as well as Heroes of Mana. Maybe you should give these a shot which is a good mix of RPG with RTS.

But honestly, I think RTSs are very male-oriented in its market...well, it's also very "geek" oriented as well...but than again, so is every game. :P

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 gfile
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]

ASK_Story

Age of Empires is pretty hectic so I can understand why. Plus, the historic setting might turn people off. If you thought Age of Empires was hard to get into, you should try Empire Earth or Rise of Nations. I like these games but I can understand why people don't.

But if I could recommend a RTS for female gamers, GrimGrimoire's the best choice. It's a RTS that was designed specifically for a female audience in mind. These aren't my words but this is what the game's director said ina interview with 1up.com.

The game tanked in Japan but I highly recommend it. It's really quite good. Very much like Starcraft but with cutesy anime characters and wizard, elf, etc. themes. Plus, the artwork is absolutely beautiful to behold. Amazing piece of work.

Also, the upcoming Final Fantasy XII: Revnant Wings is a RTS hybrid as well as Heroes of Mana. Maybe you should give these a shot which is a good mix of RPG with RTS.

But honestly, I think RTSs are very male-oriented in its market...well, it's also very "geek" oriented as well...but than again, so is every game. :P

If you are a female...respect;)
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 gfile
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]

ASK_Story

If you are a female...you have my respect;)
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="princesszelda"]

gfile

Let's just say, I hope my future wife loves RTSs as much as I do. ;)

....or can put up with my RTS addiction. :|

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 gfile
[QUOTE="gfile"][QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="princesszelda"]

ASK_Story

Let's just say, I hope my future wife loves RTSs as much as I do. ;)

....or can put up with my RTS addiction. :|

WE ARE ALL HOPING FOR THAT, MY FRIEND
nopalversion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 nopalversion
Member since 2005 • 4757 Posts
I don't like RTS games as well, and last time I checked I wasn't a girl. I'd rather have a deeper, more relaxed turn-based experience like Civ or Heroes of Might & Magic. On the other hand, Total War is not the best example of a traditional RTS. I dunno, I don't think that girls hate the genre, it's the obsession with historical accuracy that might be a turn-off.
princesszelda

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#26 princesszelda
Member since 2003 • 6869 Posts
[QUOTE="princesszelda"]

ASK_Story

You are right. I think that the RTS genre is more male oriented for some reason. I am going to check GrimGrimoire out. It sounds interesting.

DouglasBuffone

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 37

#27 DouglasBuffone
Member since 2004 • 9421 Posts
Starcraft definitely has women players...
GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#28 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts
Starcraft definitely has women players...DouglasBuffone
Because its a womans game!!! Bwhahahahahah.. :shock: just joking!!! *dodges rotten tomatos*
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 SteelAttack
Member since 2005 • 10520 Posts

[QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]Starcraft definitely has women players...GodModeEnabled
Because its a womans game!!! Bwhahahahahah.. :shock: just joking!!! *dodges rotten tomatos*

I'm going to the mail office. Have something to send over to Alberta.

:P

GodModeEnabled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 GodModeEnabled
Member since 2005 • 15314 Posts

[QUOTE="GodModeEnabled"][QUOTE="DouglasBuffone"]Starcraft definitely has women players...SteelAttack

I'm going to the mail office. Have something to send over to Alberta.

:P

Yay! Is it a puppy? :)
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 SteelAttack

Yay! Is it a puppy? :)GodModeEnabled

Oh, yes. Definitely. A nice puppy....

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 gamingqueen
Ok since grimgrimoire is one. I did play few RTS games and the reason I don't play much of those games isn't because they're male oriented, it's because I'm more into action adventure titles and games where you move your character freely. Just pointing and clicking feel stale.
SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SteelAttack

Ok since grimgrimoire is one. I did play few RTS games and the reason I don't play much of those games isn't because they're male oriented, it's because I'm more into action adventure titles and games where you move your character freely. Just pointing and clicking feel stale.gamingqueen

That's precisely my take on the subject. The mechanical aspect of the RTS genre. My wife loves the Myst series. Those diabolical puzzles appeal to no other soul on Earth except her. She says she loves that kind of games, while spending a good amount of time staring at the screen doing nothing. Just thinking about the puzzle. RTS games involve a heavy dose of mechanical actions from the player. Multitasking, micromanagement, resource managing, many things that usually a seasoned player does mechanically without even thinking about it. I understand how that way of playing must look bothersome and boring to a lot of female players.

RTS games are indeed male-oriented, from a brain-function point of view, I believe.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]Ok since grimgrimoire is one. I did play few RTS games and the reason I don't play much of those games isn't because they're male oriented, it's because I'm more into action adventure titles and games where you move your character freely. Just pointing and clicking feel stale.SteelAttack

That's precisely my take on the subject. The mechanical aspect of the RTS genre. My wife loves the Myst series. Those diabolical puzzles appeal to no other soul on Earth except her. She says she loves that kind of games, while spending a good amount of time staring at the screen doing nothing. Just thinking about the puzzle. RTS games involve a heavy dose of mechanical actions from the player. Multitasking, micromanagement, resource managing, many things that usually a seasoned player does mechanically without even thinking about it. I understand how that way of playing must look bothersome and boring to a lot of female players.

RTS games are indeed male-oriented, from a brain-function point of view, I believe.

I don't wanna start a battle of sexes here but women can work outdoors and indoors while men can't. Therefore, the experince women get from working in and out doors which require all the skils you've mentioned increases and where I come from women do all the work, trust me! It's just the amount of freedom action and adventure titles offer it doesn't have to do with gender's abilities.

SteelAttack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 SteelAttack
[QUOTE="SteelAttack"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]Ok since grimgrimoire is one. I did play few RTS games and the reason I don't play much of those games isn't because they're male oriented, it's because I'm more into action adventure titles and games where you move your character freely. Just pointing and clicking feel stale.gamingqueen

I don't wanna start a battle of sexes here but women can work outdoors and indoors while men can't. Therefore, the experince women get from working in and out doors which require all the skils you've mentioned increases and where I come from women do all the work, trust me! It's just the amount of freedom action and adventure titles offer it doesn't have to do with gender's abilities.

Oh, it's too late, you've already started it!

Just kidding. :P

Precisely the part that you bolded explains my point. It's not about women not being able to multitask, it's the fact that most of them might find that actions bothersome/boring. That's why I mentioned the Myst example. My wife likes to do more interesting things when gaming that just mechanically pointing and clicking.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 gamingqueen
But you know what? RTS to some is quicker than some games especially turn based RPG and games where you have to read manuals and tutorials. That's another factor.
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 gfile
But you know what? RTS to some is quicker than some games especially turn based RPG and games where you have to read manuals and tutorials. That's another factor.gamingqueen
From girl whodont play PC games, how can you then know soo much aboutRTS gaming expiriance...Its PC thing only;)
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]But you know what? RTS to some is quicker than some games especially turn based RPG and games where you have to read manuals and tutorials. That's another factor.gfile
From girl whodont play PC games, how can you then know soo much aboutRTS gaming expiriance...Its PC thing only;)

I've played fewon PC and ps2. But they don't count :P

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 gfile

[QUOTE="gfile"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]But you know what? RTS to some is quicker than some games especially turn based RPG and games where you have to read manuals and tutorials. That's another factor.gamingqueen

I've played fewon PC and ps2. But they don't count :P

WHAT? FEWON? My female friend, i dont understand!
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="princesszelda"]

princesszelda

You are right. I think that the RTS genre is more male oriented for some reason. I am going to check GrimGrimoire out. It sounds interesting.

Grimgrimoire is a very nice little gem. I don't think it sold well because not many people know about it, but it's a really solid game. It got better reviews than Odin Sphere on a lot of sites, including Gamespot.

I personally like Grimgrimoire better than Odin Sphere because it's just more fun to play...well, maybe because I'm a RTS fanatic, but it's still a good game.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 gamingqueen
They're incomparable as one is Action and the other is real time strategy. If princess zelda doesn't like point andclicking games and likes free movement she'll enjoy Odin Sphere more. I've played them both.
gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 gfile
They're incomparable as one is Action and the other is real time strategy. If princess zelda doesn't like point andclicking games and likes free movement she'll enjoy Odin Sphere more. I've played them both.gamingqueen
CHICK FIGHT:lol::lol:
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 gamingqueen

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]They're incomparable as one is Action and the other is real time strategy. If princess zelda doesn't like point andclicking games and likes free movement she'll enjoy Odin Sphere more. I've played them both.gfile

LOL Noooo we're not fighting and I didn't know that user was a chick...Was she :P?

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 ASK_Story

[QUOTE="gfile"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]They're incomparable as one is Action and the other is real time strategy. If princess zelda doesn't like point andclicking games and likes free movement she'll enjoy Odin Sphere more. I've played them both.gamingqueen

LOL Noooo we're not fighting and I didn't know that user was a chick...Was she :P?

Um...are you referring to me? :|

Well, let's just say,would a chick have Samus as an avatar? ;)

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 gamingqueen
[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="gfile"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]They're incomparable as one is Action and the other is real time strategy. If princess zelda doesn't like point andclicking games and likes free movement she'll enjoy Odin Sphere more. I've played them both.ASK_Story

Well I'm a chick and I have a chick avatar ;) technically...

Avatar image for Video_Game_King
Video_Game_King

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#46 Video_Game_King
Member since 2003 • 27545 Posts
I'm a guy, and I'll never play an RTS again. Until I find an introductory RTS, not touching the genre. Why? Its a genreally complicated genre. Usually, the first entry in the type of game is the most bare-bones (Super Mario Bros, Dragon Warrior, sports games), but even Herzog Zwei was difficult to play.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ASK_Story
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="gfile"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]They're incomparable as one is Action and the other is real time strategy. If princess zelda doesn't like point andclicking games and likes free movement she'll enjoy Odin Sphere more. I've played them both.gamingqueen

I see, but usually girls don't like Samus because of her clunky suit.

It's a guy thing. ;)

gfile

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 gfile
[QUOTE="ASK_Story"][QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

I mean pricess zelda and you...will be awesome....just kiddin:D
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 gamingqueen

?? You are one weird guy.

I'm just saying of the two she should go with the genre she likes more because they're different and if she's gonna spend a great amount of money on a game it better be spent on something she likes. We have a saying here that goes like this, some thing you already know about better than something you'll learn about.

Udsen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#50 Udsen
Member since 2007 • 3389 Posts
I'm sure a few do. Hell, I don't like RTS's so I don't pay attention to them.