Why doesn't anyone make a perfect game more often?

• 56 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Aparently there are a few "perfect games", but none of them seem to be perfect for everyone. I've seen quite a few people saying that Super Mario Galaxy 2 is perfect, but how can it be perfect when games like Black Ops can sell so much more? Apparently, there aren't any perfect games at all. So please, someone, develope a perfect game!!!

It might sound stupid and surreal, but I think completing this task could be simple. By working thousands of hours on a few details, reviewing the pixels on a leaf for a whole day. Although quite... umm... impossible, it is at the same time; possible.

For you, what would be your perfect game?

Lox_Cropek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 Lox_Cropek
Member since 2008 • 3555 Posts

There's no such thing as perfect. At least not in this world

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

For me it would be a cod4 remake and or GTA:SA HD remake. Call Of Duty is gone to nothing.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts
peoples exectations are too high or nothing surprises anyone anymore
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 parkurtommo

Lox_Cropek

Ok, then maybe really close to perfect?

moon_whipper2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 moon_whipper2
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

the life we are living has the most potential to be perfect, it has everything you need and you are never limited to more exploration. life is different in different age group so there is large variety of expereience you may get. it has a nice community system, with great interactivity. you could choose a lony path but that's always makes "completing the quest" harder.

blablabla, live your life and makes it perfect.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 parkurtommo

the life we are living has the most potential to be perfect, it has everything you need and you are never limited to more exploration. life is different in different age group so there is large variety of expereience you may get. it has a nice community system, with great interactivity. you could choose a lony path but that's always makes "completing the quest" harder.

blablabla, live your life and makes it perfect.

moon_whipper2

Umm I think you just insulted the lives of millions of video game players. Why do we like playing video games? BECAUSE WE CAN DO THINGS WE CAN'T DO IN REAL LIFE!!!!

Tropictrain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Tropictrain
Member since 2010 • 4863 Posts

A perfect game will have to appeal to everyone. Everyone will have to enjoy it, and everyone will have to agree that it's a perfect game. That's impossible.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#9 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Games are made by humans and will therefore never be perfect. Besides, in order for it to indeed be "perfect", everyone would have to love it. A perfect game could never be, because people have different tastes and it would have to surprise the player for the whole time it's being played. No game can ever do that. This is why I never give games perfect scores; they will never be perfect. To me, the closest a game has ever gotten to perfection would be the Legend of Zelda: Majora's Mask. And many people would disagree with me. Which is why there will never be a perfect game.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 SPBoss
Member since 2009 • 3746 Posts

For me it would be a cod4 remake and or GTA:SA HD remake. Call Of Duty is gone to nothing.

fusionhunter
GTA:SA hd remake? just play it on pc its basically the hd version lmao
fl4tlined

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#11 fl4tlined
Member since 2007 • 4134 Posts
i for instance do not think SMG 2 is perfect or nowhere near its SMG 1 but if you took the story i actually enjoyed in the first one( stuff like the story book etc) and pretend it never happened.. that and the game i think has difficulty problems either its way to easy or its throw the controller against the wall frustratingly hard...
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#12 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

The problem with perfect is that preferance gets in the way. Suppose the next Call of Duty (just pretend) was technically perfect. But then suppose you don't like guns... there goes perfection.

fusionhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 fusionhunter
Member since 2008 • 2009 Posts

[QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

SPBoss

I mean along the lines of a remake like Hot Pursuit.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 SPBoss

[QUOTE="SPBoss"][QUOTE="fusionhunter"]

fusionhunter

I mean along the lines of a remake like Hot Pursuit.

Understood, However i hope gta V isn't based in america as its getting boring and repetetive, it needs a new location with a new landscape and new characters.
bigboss1203

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 bigboss1203
Member since 2009 • 1885 Posts

[QUOTE="Lox_Cropek"]

parkurtommo

Ok, then maybe really close to perfect?

Hes right, no such thing as perfect that EVERYONE can agree on. For me, the perfect game is Metal Gear Solid 4: Guns of the Patriots, but I know not everyone shares that opinion. Some people think Red Dead Redemption is a perfect game, but I dont think that. Opinions vary with each person.
ThePerro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#16 ThePerro
Member since 2006 • 3105 Posts

Topic:Why doesn't anyone make a perfect game more often?

Hmm, I guess devs aren't trying hard to make a perfect, or near-perfect game, even though they spend up to two years at a time for some games polishing them and trying to make them fun. Oh well, the only remedy to this is to whip them more

TheMoreYouOwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheMoreYouOwn
Member since 2010 • 3927 Posts
Pong is the perfect game. Everything after that is less than.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#18 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

Creating the perfect game is impossible: there's simply too factors, the biggest of which being subjectivity. For a truly perfect game to exist, the developers will have had to made something that no one can deny as being the epitome of perfection. That's simply not possible, though, because everyone has different views on what makes something perfect and what doesn't. which makes the task of trying to cater to everyone's tastes a waste of time, as they'll never succeed in that pursuit.

So it's not that the developers are refusing to make a perfect game; it's that they just can't do it.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

There are no prefect games. Every games has it's flaws. You can, however, say that you find a game (or more games) perfect.

CRS98

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#20 CRS98
Member since 2004 • 9036 Posts
Because you end up with the process Duke Nukem Forever went through.
Saul_Tigh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Saul_Tigh
Member since 2010 • 65 Posts

Perfection is relative, just like everything else.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SPBoss
I define the perfect game as, all of the good games in the market combined into one epic massive online multiplayer world, be whatever you want and do whatever you want. IT will be perfect until some idiot comes along and says 'theres too much content, its too much for my brain'
Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

You act like a perfect game can just be pulled out of thin air and game makers just don't try anymore. You should have put some more thought into your question before just blindly asking why no perfect games are being made.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 parkurtommo

Ok, I see now that none of you really get the point of this topic (maybe I was just unclear), I want to know what is your favourite game. We all know that perfect does not exist.

Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#27 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

The closest game to perfect that I've ever played is Tetris, specifically Tetris DX for the Game Boy Color. I still play it on a regular basis and it never gets tiring. It is simple, elegant, demands strategy, has great music, each game is different, and the replayability is out of this world. When looked at objectively in its purest form, I have a very difficult time seeing any flaws at all with Pajitnov's creation, and I'm a HUGE pessimist. The brilliance of it lies in its simplicity, and the simpler it is the less prone it is to err.

It is in every way an amazing accomplishment. Super Metroid would be a close second.

Also, I don't see how opinion would have any bearing on perfection if it was in fact possible. Someone's opinion of something is not a determinant of its quality, just of their preference. If absolutely EVERYONE loved ET for the Atari 2600, would that then mean it's perfect? No, it is still garbage that deserved to be encased in concrete and buried, regardless of what someone thinks of it. Subjectivity really has no place when talking about quality.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 parkurtommo

I don't have a perfect game, closest thing is Demon's souls and i'm getting tired of it

gbrading

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 gbrading
Member since 2005 • 8085 Posts

There is no such thing as a perfect game, and there never has been, and there never will be. Everything is subjective. What I say is "perfect" may well be the exact opposite for someone else. But the reason there aren't more universally liked games is because it's very difficult to cater for everyone's eclectic tastes.

Conscrumptured

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Conscrumptured
Member since 2010 • 797 Posts
Since "perfect" is subjective anyhow, I suppose any individual gamer whose tastes are satisfied by a certain game is all anyone can ask for. I'm still new to the PS3, so I haven't yet found the perfect game on that console, but I hear Bioshock, God of War 3 and other titles are close contenders for it. Oh! And though I wouldn't call it perfect, Bad Company 2 is so far very filling. I say it's damn near perfect. :D
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#31 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

I never knew popularity was an indication of quality.

Qixote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32 Qixote
Member since 2002 • 10843 Posts

Some of you are being too literal with the word "perfect". By saying nothing can be perfect, you may as well remove the word from the English dictionary. Perfection is similar to beauty, and is in the eye of the beholder. Of course no game can be flawless to everyone, but games can be as relatively close to perfection as games could possibly get.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 parkurtommo

Some of you are being too literal with the word "perfect". By saying nothing can be perfect, you may as well remove the word from the English dictionary. Perfection is similar to beauty, and is in the eye of the beholder. Of course no game can be flawless to everyone, but games can be as relatively close to perfection as games could possibly get.

Qixote

That's exactly what I wanted to hear (or read to be more correct)

GodzillavsXenu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 GodzillavsXenu
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts
Perfect is only in the eye of the beholder. Same for any form of art or entertainment (or any person for that matter). I also think if you are judging by critical ratings or user reviews, it will never exist especially in this age of the interwebz. Almost anything that a vast majority might find perfect will be judged as imperfect by people who want to draw attention to themselves or are simply bitter, trolling etc, or who may genuinely and intelligently be able to express why that perfect thing is flawed because they view that thing differently. You will never find any one game, movie or song etc that everyone will agree is perfect because it does not take personal taste in to account. Honestly, when I see that something is "universally loved" or judged perfect, I'm more likely to think brainwashing, payola and advertising are the cause than any real consensus. It's like when Republicans start their sentences with "The American people...". When people claim to speak for everyone you know they are full of crap.
cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#35 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Because there is ALWAYS room for improvement.

jcopp72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 jcopp72
Member since 2007 • 5375 Posts

So who is to say that a game is perfect? There will always be some people that wont like a game that alot of people like. I dont know if i could have a perfect game but lets see, games i really liked are:

Assassin's Creed 2

GTA: San Andreas

The Saboteur

So something with all those combined would be my perfect game.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 SPBoss

So who is to say that a game is perfect? There will always be some people that wont like a game that alot of people like. I dont know if i could have a perfect game but lets see, games i really liked are:

Assassin's Creed 2

GTA: San Andreas

The Saboteur

So something with all those combined would be my perfect game.

jcopp72
That would be a nice combination, in my opinion saboteur is underrated by a long way.. add need for speed in that mix then that would be epic :lol:
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Rekunta

foxhound_fox

Thank you. The ad populum fallacy is rearing its ugly head high in this thread.

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 SPBoss

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Rekunta

Black ops anyone? (waiting to get flamed upon)
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Rekunta

[QUOTE="Rekunta"]

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

SPBoss

You might need this:

SPBoss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 SPBoss

[QUOTE="SPBoss"][QUOTE="Rekunta"]

Rekunta

You might need this:

lmao, ill survive :P

I mean its an OK game comparing to other shooters but when comparing it to previous cod series it is really bad lol

Elann2008

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#42 Elann2008
Member since 2007 • 33028 Posts
You lost me when you said perfect.
Macutchi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Macutchi
Member since 2007 • 10591 Posts

super mario world, vice city and monkey island all came pretty close. unfortunately in this day and age a lot of games are more flash over substance and have too heavy a focus on mp

agpickle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 agpickle
Member since 2006 • 3293 Posts

Something that is close to perfection usually irritates me. Therefore if there was a near-perfect game, it would bug me, making it impossible to be perfect.

GodzillavsXenu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 GodzillavsXenu
Member since 2009 • 180 Posts

[QUOTE="foxhound_fox"]

Rekunta

Bingo. This concept is as old as dirt and just as useless. I'll never understand people who look to what is most popular to decide what is good, rather than discovering things on their own, especially as so much of what is popular is made that way by payola and advertising.
James161324

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 James161324
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

1. Its hard to do, you can't take the same game twice.

2. Companies now want a larger audience so will make risky decisions to do so. Hence look at so many games that would be pretty much prefect if it wasn't game play choices to open up the audience.

Freshenizer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Freshenizer
Member since 2004 • 381 Posts

I've yet to play a "perfect" game, and that includes the games that recieve a perfect score.

Namgis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

User Lists: 5

#49 Namgis
Member since 2009 • 3592 Posts

Any game that I can fire up at any time and still thoroughly enjoy myself, after any amount of time, I consider perfect for me.

Examples: Burnout Paradise, Super Mario 1-3, MGS 1-4, RE 4... to name a few.

The search for perfection is and should be the goal for all developers. Sadly this is not the world we live in. If people are unhappy playing sub par games, then my advise is simple, get into the industry and make the games you want.

PewPewNinja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 PewPewNinja
Member since 2010 • 137 Posts

To me Portal was Perfect, Great puzzle, Funny/silly Story, Good/smooth gameplay, Good looking, and the pricing was perfect.

(Orange Box, That was the Perfect Deal)

But then again GTAIV got a "Perfect Review" go figure, Perfect is just a matter of Opinion.