Why does everyone hate GameStop?

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Altair1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Altair1337
Member since 2007 • 387 Posts

I've noticed that there are a lot of people who hate Gamestop for some reason. I know they are pretty much a monopoly of gaming stores, but they offer good service and quality products. Can anyone tell me why people hate them?

I'm not looking for personal experiences about why you hate them like (they didn't know what I was talking about or they ripped me off, etc).

No I don't work at Gamestop either.

Rikardur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Rikardur
Member since 2008 • 9290 Posts
because there are none where I live :P
Altair1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Altair1337

because there are none where I live :PRikardur

well that makes sense haha. but where do you live wheres there's no GameStop or EB Games? In the USA I mean.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
Because they're more interested in what they can do for me than what I want from them. I NEVER trade games in, yet they're still mandated to ask me if I have any trade-ins. They don't expect a game to do well, so they don't order anything beyond pre-orders and give it a chance. I don't care if a game is similar and the computer thinks I might be interested, I'm not going to pre-order the new 50 Cent game. No, I don't like sports games, so I don't want to pre-order Madden and be part of their midnight launch, no matter how many times corporate tells them to ask everyone. :|
Altair1337

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Altair1337
They ask you because they have too, like you said, the corporate people tell them too.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6 rragnaar
Member since 2005 • 27023 Posts
Because they're more interested in what they can do for me than what I want from them. I NEVER trade games in, yet they're still mandated to ask me if I have any trade-ins. They don't expect a game to do well, so they don't order anything beyond pre-orders and give it a chance. I don't care if a game is similar and the computer thinks I might be interested, I'm not going to pre-order the new 50 Cent game. No, I don't like sports games, so I don't want to pre-order Madden and be part of their midnight launch, no matter how many times corporate tells them to ask everyone. :|MAILER_DAEMON

Yup... this is why I hate game stores in general. I don't like being treated like that.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts

I know you said no personal experiences but I can only speak from my own perspective. I wouldn't say I hate them but I don't shop there unless no one else has a game I'm looking for. I guess I'll shop there before Wal-Mart or EBay, but that's it. I don't like their pushy clerks trying to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't want or need; I know it's a practice that most people use but Gamestop's the worst place that I know of. One time the clerk tried to sell me eight different things in between the time I put the game on the counter and the time he gave me the receipt. They also take the wrapping off games (I've heard stories that they will even play the games) and then still sell them as new, which is lame.

So I wouldn't say they offer good service because they're way too pushy, and I wouldn't say they offer quality products either since their new games are usually unwrapped and their used games are often in lousy condition. I have found a few decent things there over the years, but I usually only consider stopping there if everywhere else doesn't have what I am looking for.

MAILER_DAEMON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 MAILER_DAEMON
Member since 2003 • 45906 Posts
They ask you because they have too, like you said, the corporate people tell them too.Altair1337
Exactly.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 rragnaar
[QUOTE="Altair1337"]They ask you because they have too, like you said, the corporate people tell them too.MAILER_DAEMON
Exactly.

I want to be treated like a human being when I go to a store. Any time I go to seemingly any store it is almost impossible to talk to the employees because they are so busy saying all the things that they are required to say to keep their jobs that they don't listen. For the couple of months leading up to the release of Haze this one employee at my Gamecrazy would always ask if I wanted to pre-order it, and I'd always say 'no, it looks like a terrible game'. We went through this same experience five different times. I shop on Amazon now, and when I absolutely need a game at midnight on release, I just wander on down to the nearest Walmart Superstore and buy the game without waiting in a line and without any hassle.
-Sphere-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#10 -Sphere-
Member since 2008 • 1063 Posts
They care about themselves more than making the customer happy. I will illustrate with an example: *walks in* (Me) "I would like to trade this game in." *waits while they scan the game and look up price* (GameStop employee) "We can give you $2.50 for that game." *Thinks to self about how big of a rip off this is because you paid $50 only a short while ago and the game is sitting used on the shelf being sold for $25." (Me) "No thankyou I will give it away to a poor person for free since I will get more than $2.50 worth of gratification knowing I did a good thing."
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts
Its really the store people love to hate.
JetLagz28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 JetLagz28
Member since 2004 • 646 Posts

I know you said no personal experiences but I can only speak from my own perspective. I wouldn't say I hate them but I don't shop there unless no one else has a game I'm looking for. I guess I'll shop there before Wal-Mart or EBay, but that's it. I don't like their pushy clerks trying to sell you a bunch of stuff you don't want or need; I know it's a practice that most people use but Gamestop's the worst place that I know of. One time the clerk tried to sell me eight different things in between the time I put the game on the counter and the time he gave me the receipt. They also take the wrapping off games (I've heard stories that they will even play the games) and then still sell them as new, which is lame.

So I wouldn't say they offer good service because they're way too pushy, and I wouldn't say they offer quality products either since their new games are usually unwrapped and their used games are often in lousy condition. I have found a few decent things there over the years, but I usually only consider stopping there if everywhere else doesn't have what I am looking for.

kfjl

Gamecrazy is horrible for trying to push things on their customers. I went in there to get a disc cleaned and pick up the Metal Gear Solid Essential collection. I have never had someone offer me so many service plans, warranty's, disc protection plans, reservation, trade in, store member card offers in my life. I just wanted to get in and out.

DarkElf2112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 DarkElf2112
Member since 2008 • 892 Posts
I actually like Gamestop. Trade in games all the time. Asking if I want to put a deposit down on the next big game every time I go gets a little annoying but other than that I have no problem with them.
Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts

I have been disliking GameStop more and more ever since its employees cleared out games that the company deemed "too old." First, the stores stopped selling NES, SNES, and Genesis games. Then, N64, Playstation, and Dreamcast games faced the same fate. Most recently (this April, to be exact), the stores stopped accepting Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.

Why have these stores stopped trying to distinguish themselves from other game stores? Is it bad for business to accept the old games? It makes no sense to me.

grim1813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 grim1813
Member since 2005 • 431 Posts

It's almost the exact opposite here in Canada. We've had EB Games for years, and our city got our first gamestop about 3 or 4 months ago. The staff is really friendly, not pushy at all. The games are cheap, and they have a wide selection.

The only thing that sucks is the trade-in values. I usually trade in my games at Blockbuster, as I can get $15 for a game I spent $5 on at Gamestop.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 juradai
Member since 2003 • 2783 Posts

I have been disliking GameStop more and more ever since its employees cleared out games that the company deemed "too old." First, the stores stopped selling NES, SNES, and Genesis games. Then, N64, Playstation, and Dreamcast games faced the same fate. Most recently (this April, to be exact), the stores stopped accepting Game Boy and Game Boy Color games.

Why have these stores stopped trying to distinguish themselves from other game stores? Is it bad for business to accept the old games? It makes no sense to me.

UltimateXShadow

I can understand why they would want to do that because of the amount of clutter that the small stores would have if they kept all past generation games and current generation games as well. My question is though, where do all the older generation games go if they haven't been clearanced out?

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 rragnaar
...where do all the older generation games go if they haven't been clearanced out?
juradai

They join all those E.T. cartridges that they buried out in the desert back in the 80's.
summer_star17x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#18 summer_star17x
Member since 2007 • 2683 Posts

It's almost the exact opposite here in Canada. We've had EB Games for years, and our city got our first gamestop about 3 or 4 months ago. The staff is really friendly, not pushy at all. The games are cheap, and they have a wide selection.

The only thing that sucks is the trade-in values. I usually trade in my games at Blockbuster, as I can get $15 for a game I spent $5 on at Gamestop.

grim1813

i totally know what you mean. EBgames here is nothing like what everyone says about it on the forums. I'm actually grateful our EBgames is better. the staff are friendly, they aren't pushy, they have some game knowledge. the one I goto actually has nerds working there, so thats good. fanboys or not.

i've been to a few in newyork, and basically EVERY used game there has no coverslip or manual. it's just a DVD box with that ugly blue slip inside with the name written on it.
it makes me glad to walk into my local EB and see how beautiful the used games are with all their original coverslips inside looking at me.

Nightingale27

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Nightingale27
Member since 2006 • 661 Posts
I just got monster hunter freedom 2, brave story and ratchet and clank: size matters (all $20) from gamestop. I thought it was a good deal. In addition, I turned in some DS games and a Wii game, and I only had to pay an extra $5 in cash. I thought it was an outstanding deal, but when I went to the counter and tried to buy the games, the guy asked me 'do you have an mvp membership?'. My response, 'no', made him yell out 'Jeremy!', at which point this fat gamestop employee came over and kept telling me for about 10 minutes how 'stupid I would have to be to not take this offer' (that is, buying an mvp membership). I actually had to tell them 'just give me my ****ing games or I'm never coming here again'. I don't like being rude to people, but GameStop gave me no choice.
juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 juradai

[QUOTE="juradai"]...where do all the older generation games go if they haven't been clearanced out?
rragnaar

They join all those E.T. cartridges that they buried out in the desert back in the 80's.

Want make a trip out to the desert, Rags? ;)

Let's go pick up some games that we missed.

rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 rragnaar

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="juradai"]...where do all the older generation games go if they haven't been clearanced out?
juradai

I don't want this to be like the last time you lured me out into the desert. 'Free ice cream and pony rides' my ass.
viewtiful26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 viewtiful26
Member since 2005 • 2842 Posts

[QUOTE="rragnaar"][QUOTE="juradai"]...where do all the older generation games go if they haven't been clearanced out?
juradai

That's a good question...it really makes me wonder where they all are.

UltimaSlayer94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#23 UltimaSlayer94
Member since 2008 • 411 Posts

I dont hate them, they're fine.

Only bad thing I can say is their trade-in prices (and I trade in A LOT) are totally horrible. I get about $3 for old Xbox/PS2 games, and about $15 for 360 games.

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 juradai
[QUOTE="juradai"]

rragnaar

I don't want this to be like the last time you lured me out into the desert. 'Free ice cream and pony rides' my ass.

Ha! I have never seen a grown ass man react in that way before. You move fast for a man of your stature.

As for the older games, I am going to venture a guess and say that they sell them to those places that specialize in vintage games and consoles. They probably just throw them in a box and sell them in bulk to those dealers. It's either that or they give could possibly give them to employess as bonuses? *shrugs*

juradai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 juradai

I dont hate them, they're fine.

Only bad thing I can say is their trade-in prices (and I trade in A LOT) are totally horrible. I get about $3 for old Xbox/PS2 games, and about $15 for 360 games.

UltimaSlayer94

Well that's actually where the catch is. The more people trade in their games the less they have to give for trade in value. Basically, when trading in games you are giving life to this process.

Avatar image for deactivated-5967f36c08c33
deactivated-5967f36c08c33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 deactivated-5967f36c08c33
Member since 2006 • 15614 Posts
I've never had any problems with Gamestop.
rragnaar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 rragnaar

Ha! I have never seen a grown ass man react in that way before. You move fast for a man of your stature.

juradai

:lol:... I'm dangerous when those survival instincts kick in.

Avatar image for UltimateXShadow
UltimateXShadow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 UltimateXShadow
Member since 2005 • 2312 Posts
[QUOTE="UltimateXShadow"]

juradai

I can understand why they would want to do that because of the amount of clutter that the small stores would have if they kept all past generation games and current generation games as well. My question is though, where do all the older generation games go if they haven't been clearanced out?

Well, I can understand that for the "old" non-handheld games. But, the Game Boy and Game Boy Color games fill a relatively small amount of storage space. There has to be another reason that contributed to GameStop's decision.

btaylor2404

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#29 btaylor2404
Member since 2003 • 11353 Posts
I wonder that too. My choices here are Wal-Mart, Best Buy, or Gamestop. The guys at Gamestop know me, know games, and the store is generally just cool to be in, kinda like a comic book store for comic collectors.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

I don't HATE Gamestop, but I also have no reason to go there. I used to go there whenever a game came out thinking that since all they have is games, they would put it up on the shelf first. However, every time I went there, the same thing happened.

Me- "Do you have Game X?"
Clerk- "No, we just sold the last copy a few minutes ago. You should have pre-ordered."
Me- "Yeah, that happened with the last game I wanted, so I actually did this time."
Clerk- "Oh, sorry dude. We just sold your copy because we thought you weren't coming."
Me- "The game came out today and school only got out 20 minutes ago."

I would then go to some other store, like Target or Wal-Mart or K-Mart or Toys R Us or something. They would have tons of copies on the shelf, and I would bring it to the checkout without having to be asked if I wanted to buy magazine subscriptions or reserve games that they wouldn't even hold for me. It's just way easier to NOT go to Gamestop.

horseyjesse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 horseyjesse
Member since 2003 • 565 Posts

I have never hated Gamestop (though I don't think I'd ever trade in a game, their values aren't always great). I did see some good deals on used games (snagged a couple). I also discovered that one of the guys who works at one of the ones near me not only knows his stuff, but is pretty cute as well.

Needless to say, I think I'll be spending more time there :D

Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#32 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts

I don't know either.

There are probably a few bad ones out there just like every other chain in the business world. But the one(s) I go to are very nice, the employees are nice, I get fair trade in values, and no I don't work there either

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#33 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
I hate EB/Gamestop for this sole reason: They sell used games as new. They open up new PC games, take the disc out, put it in the back, and put the empty box on the shelf. That constitutes a used game to me. Especially since after I open the game and don't use it at all it's now used in their eyes. This also creates problems such as what happened to me: I went to buy Nevverwinter nights 2 Gold and brought the box to the front. They scan the box and go to the back. I didn't relize until I got home but they brought out normal vanilla Neverwinter Nights 2 to me. I paid for Gold but got normal. This wouldn't of happened if the disc was in the box in the first place. They don't do this crappy service to console games so why to PC ?
Bloodbath_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#34 Bloodbath_87
Member since 2008 • 7586 Posts
Because they try to rip you off when you sell games there, mostly. I love their stupid new "$15 back on select games" ad, it's so stupid to think that people want $15 for a game they payed $60 for. Plus, you can sell it on eBay or Amazon and get 2x that price. Such a stupid place... Plus they never have any game I want when I go there. It seems like they have limited stock and most of their games come from pre-orders.
OneWingedAngeI

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#35 OneWingedAngeI
Member since 2003 • 9448 Posts

there should be a sticky proclaiming gamestop's suckyness. i dealt with them for years and finally enough is enough. my wife was also management at one for a little while. lets do the rundown.

• They give you relatively nothing for your trade ins, and then turn around and sell them for $5 less than a new copy.
  • They sneak in "gutted" copies of games as new whenever they can. They also always try to push you into used copies of games because it makes them way way more money. I understand wanting to make more money, but they are far far too pushy.
  • They have a policy of not selling a game that is in stock to people unless they pre-ordered, even when they have more than enough. they tell you you need to wait until the next day. this is to get you to pre order, which earns them CRAZY interest on your deposit.
  • In general, the employees are horrid to deal with. They hire people who tend to know nothing about games (if you are a mildly attractive girl you are automatically in, even if you have no limbs). They force these employees to upsell everything or fear losing their jobs. If people dont want a magazine subscription or a used copy they get in trouble. THIS is why they are so pushy, and unhappy. - I know not all stores are like this, but i have been to tons of gamestops and this is the general experience.
  • They are smug about their pre-order policy. If you do not pre-order, you are a second class customer in their opinion. They tend to mock you if you don't get a game you want because it is out of stock, because you should have pre-ordered, you idiot.
  • They do not support the industry in a positive manner. They only order enough copies of many games to cover pre-orders. Another tactic to get your money into their high interest savings account.
  • They routinely over book pre-orders, leaving people without their game they were counting on.

there is more i am not even remembering at the moment, but in general they are the most greedy, self centered, and rude corporation i have dealt with, aside from cell phone companies. i understand it is a business and they want to make profits, but they can do so without being so manipulative and rude. i only shop there when it is a necessity. like pre-ordering a system. but only because it is the only way in that case.people always boo-hoo ebay when it comes to used games and i will never understand it. you can sell your games for a couple of dollars less than new most of the time. for older ones, it's still better than the laughable $6 or so gamestop offers, and then turns around and sells for at least triple that.

Kreatzion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Kreatzion
Member since 2003 • 6468 Posts
My biggest gripes are the stickers and the way they open a brand new game and try to sell it off as new. It's technically not new when someone ******* opens it. And please Gamestop, stop using those stickers that are hard as hell to remove!
f15srcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 f15srcool
Member since 2005 • 2294 Posts
The store clerks have always been civil to me, and gotten through the corporate mandated trade in BS as fast as humanly possible.
f15srcool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 f15srcool
Member since 2005 • 2294 Posts

My biggest gripes are the stickers and the way they open a brand new game and try to sell it off as new. It's technically not new when someone ******* opens it. And please Gamestop, stop using those stickers that are hard as hell to remove!Kreatzion

Yeah, that's jacked. I've kind of just accepted that my game cases won't be pretty-fied if I get them used at this point.

Avatar image for RdrOfTheLostArk
RdrOfTheLostArk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 RdrOfTheLostArk
Member since 2008 • 116 Posts
Many a time have I gone to Gamestop and seen the box of a game I'd give my left kidney for, only to take it to the register and find out they don't have the actual disc. I HATE that!!!!
MeG4tRoN

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 MeG4tRoN
Member since 2008 • 93 Posts
I love Gamestop. The only thing I dislike about them is the low trade in values.
Toriko42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 45

#41 Toriko42
Member since 2006 • 27562 Posts
The EB I go to never does that to me or any other customer...
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44549 Posts
Yeah they are basically a 'last resort' kind of place for me. I really hate the fact that they will open a bunch of copies of a game then sell them off as new. I honestily can't believe that this is a legally accepted business practice.
EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#43 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts
The trading in service is terrible because they will take a game and give you a crappy price. Then, once you leave the store they sell it for $15 or more. They rip you off. I'm buying my games of amazon for now on.
K1LLR3175

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#44 K1LLR3175
Member since 2006 • 12734 Posts
I think alot of people hate the fact that if you were to trade in some games then you would not get a good deal on them at all,especially if you asked for straight up cash and not store credit.I can't say that I hate them because they have been good to me in the past,for trade-ins and for other things.
NYCKing87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NYCKing87
Member since 2008 • 1262 Posts

I never really had a problem with GameStop. The only thing I hate is when y'want to trade in a game that was 60 bucks but then miraculously turns out to be $5.

Jade_Monkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#46 Jade_Monkey
Member since 2004 • 4830 Posts
I've got a new gripe: they (at least my local EB) have stopped accpeting trade-ins on any PC game. This is an insult and a slap to the face.
ajkalan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ajkalan
Member since 2004 • 399 Posts

There seem to be several reasons for the dislike of Gamestop.

1. Trade-in values of games aren't as high as some would like. For example, I thought that RPG Maker 3 was worth more than the $12-15 they offered. I don't know how much it's really worth, since it's collecting dust in storage right now, so maybe it was a fair offer:?

2. Stickers and gutting. Yes, this is annoying, and it would be great if they'd stop doing this.

3. Employees:
a. Gamestop supposedly treats their employees poorly, pressuring them to sell preorders, subscriptions, warranties, etc. I also remember hearing bad things about their hiring/firing policies around the holidays? I don't remember the specific criticism.

b. The employees are ignorant/rude/whatever. I've personally not noticed this, but I don't make a habit of chatting with strangers.

4. The company has bought up other game chains. I liked Funcoland and their 9-cent Nintendo cartridges, for example.

5. Some people just hate big businesses.

Jackass4Life

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jackass4Life
Member since 2005 • 953 Posts
I don't mind Gamestop but it is annoying when they try shoving a game down your throat. I mean if I wanted to pre-order something I would tell them, and not the other way around.
XxWOND3RB3ADxX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 XxWOND3RB3ADxX
Member since 2008 • 1189 Posts
Who care about personal experience I'm in there 5 minutes tops get the game i want or accessories that i need and get out. I like them asking me if i want to preorder somethin because i might not know when the game comes out so they help me. so they are nice and they never done anything to me.
MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

Gamestop is just so completely soulless and I should know, because EB Games was the same way right up until they were purchased by Gamestop.

I think by now, the pipe dream they served up to the public about the merging of two huge gaming chains being able to offer better, more competitive deals for consumers can be safely put to rest. Gamestop is more penny-pinching that ever, and their trade-in prices and trade-in "specials" are a bigger joke than they ever were.

The sort of mongrels that are common place amongst the staffs of game stores would never have made it onto my staff when I mangaed what with their lack of grooming and non-existent people skills. No, asking me for a pre-order on the flavor of the month and asking me to bring in my games for trade doesn't count.