Why do we play?

• 84 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Lukergamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#51 Lukergamer
Member since 2009 • 147 Posts
In my case it is probably the fact that when you play a game, you are using your head; not like when you sit in front of a TV all day farting and scratching your arse. Games allow you to use your imagination and creativity to solve problems; in a similar fashion to reading.
Zanil4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#52 Zanil4
Member since 2009 • 31 Posts
The reason i play games is so i can get away from reality for a bit. I can do things i cant do in real life.
rjxtian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#53 rjxtian
Member since 2005 • 2638 Posts

What got me hooked was Dungeons and Dragons, and Hockey on the Intellivision in 1980.

oldmanriver1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54 oldmanriver1
Member since 2009 • 726 Posts

I don't really have a reason for playing games. Its just a fun thing to do when I'm bored.

kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#55 kaskus
Member since 2007 • 717 Posts
[QUOTE="kaskus"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] Well, there's at least the playing with fire part...muthsera666
men and fires, flares, explosions, and destroying things. Whats up with that hehehe. Is it part of men's instincts?

I'm going to have to go with a yes on that. There are so few things as glorious as a rising and blossoming fireball.

hehe men are funny creatures.....
BeverlyStayart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#56 BeverlyStayart
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
Just like movies, games are a form of escape.
Troqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#57 Troqe
Member since 2008 • 675 Posts

I'm not sure, when I was little it was just really the fasination. I had lower standards then though, now I mostly play just to see if I can find a game that hooks me in the same way, the last game to really do that was Fallout 3, just to lose yourself in the world, it's great.

dunl12496

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 dunl12496
Member since 2009 • 5710 Posts

It kills time and is a escape from reality.

LordGamer0001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 46

#59 LordGamer0001
Member since 2004 • 8752 Posts

as a kid i always was playing mario on the nes at my grandmas. then the super nes i used to always play with relatives during holidays like mario kart, tetris attacks, and etc. during those times a just steadily gamed. but when i got my playstation 2 i became a gamer. thats all i did in my free time. and still to this day i try to game as much as possible.

J_Knolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#60 J_Knolling
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts
[QUOTE="kaskus"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] Well, there's at least the playing with fire part...muthsera666
men and fires, flares, explosions, and destroying things. Whats up with that hehehe. Is it part of men's instincts?

I'm going to have to go with a yes on that. There are so few things as glorious as a rising and blossoming fireball.

Actually, I tend to think that ice structures are far more beautiful. There's nothing like a perfect icicle.... yeah, your stupid fireballs stink. -sigh- Fire and Ice people....Will they ever get along?
PublicNuisance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#61 PublicNuisance
Member since 2009 • 4582 Posts

I started playing video games in 1992 but it wasn't until 1998 when I really got hooked. I played Goldeneye on the N64 at my friend's house and I begged my dad to buy me an N64 and Goldeneye if I passed grade 7 which I did.

Sacif

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#62 Sacif
Member since 2006 • 1830 Posts

I play games for the stories. The interaction that I have with being a part of the story is better than any movie, or book (even though I am an avid reader). It gives me the opportunity to play out scenarios that the real world would never bring my way. The simplest example of this is do I want to play a caster or a melee.

I guess in all honestly I am still that kid with the plastic sword and shield looking for my grand adventure, and the 9-5 grind of real life was not what I had hoped for when I was still a child, so I live out my fantasies through games, and writing, and reading. And I have always lived by a simple rule that your imagination is what sparks creativity, and creativity is how we have all that we have now. Someone dreamt it, then made it, and finally perfected it.

muthsera666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#63 muthsera666
Member since 2005 • 13271 Posts

[QUOTE="muthsera666"]I'm going to have to go with a yes on that. There are so few things as glorious as a rising and blossoming fireball.J_Knolling
Actually, I tend to think that ice structures are far more beautiful. There's nothing like a perfect icicle.... yeah, your stupid fireballs stink. -sigh- Fire and Ice people....Will they ever get along?

You have a point. Ice can be beautiful. But ice is far more subtle than the in-you-face fireball. And subtlety is an acquired taste.

J_Knolling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#64 J_Knolling
Member since 2007 • 310 Posts

[QUOTE="J_Knolling"][QUOTE="muthsera666"]I'm going to have to go with a yes on that. There are so few things as glorious as a rising and blossoming fireball.muthsera666

You have a point. Ice can be beautiful. But ice is far more subtle than the in-you-face fireball. And subtlety is an acquired taste.

'in-your-face'? yeah, thanks for proving my point that ice is better. Yeah, who would like something rude and annoying? Bottom line, Ice will win, every time....
majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#65 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

Why exactly are you so attracted to challenging games? What draws you towards them?

I think it has to do with me growing up playing extremely difficuly games like Mega Man and Contra. In the past when the NES was first released most of the video games were very diffiuclt, and required a lot of trial and error, and actual skills in order to beat a stage. Right now I'm so used to playing video games that will challenge that having video games without the challenge just doesn't seem right. Plus it's very rewarding beating difficult games.

fathoms_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#66 fathoms_basic
Member since 2002 • 22116 Posts

I play because my father put a funny, black plastic stick in my 4-year-old hands and said, "look at the screen and try to keep that dot from getting by you."

I still play because I love to do it, although it is now categorized as both work and play.

z827

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#67 z827
Member since 2008 • 4731 Posts

I started playing games about 10 years old.I got hooked onto the storylines of RPGs and started focusing on RPGs.Later,I tried out shooters and RTS and slowly the rest of the genres.Depending on the genre,there are different reasons why I play them.RPGs for their storyline,shooters for their action,RTS for it's "warlord-like" feeling.

Lansing_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#68 Lansing_
Member since 2009 • 109 Posts
What got me hooked on video games was Mario Bros. 3.
Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#69 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i don't think any of us were in control of whether we played games for the first time, or not. i think we had little choice in the matter. it's probably more down to personal circumstances, and what is going on around us in the surrounding culture. so we may think we made a choice, but... i think in most cases, it probably just happend. i was just given a console to play on when i was 9 or whatever.

now we're older, we do have a choice to stop or carry on.

kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#70 kaskus

[QUOTE="muthsera666"]

[QUOTE="J_Knolling"] Actually, I tend to think that ice structures are far more beautiful. There's nothing like a perfect icicle.... yeah, your stupid fireballs stink. -sigh- Fire and Ice people....Will they ever get along?J_Knolling

'in-your-face'? yeah, thanks for proving my point that ice is better. Yeah, who would like something rude and annoying? Bottom line, Ice will win, every time....

I prefer playing with electricity though.... electricity is fun. You can play games, watch movies, and use mobile phones and stuff... Unlike ice and fire so primitive duh! LOLS

Thelibarr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#71 Thelibarr
Member since 2009 • 257 Posts

Windwaker was the hook for me. And no I'm not 13 I just started late.

doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#72 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

A long story cut very short: Initially I was amazed just by the technology of video games - that it was actually a possibility - and because I was young. Kids are curious about everything. It was about fun, challenge and immersion into the world of the game - probably about equally as much of everything. As I've gotten older, I play mainly for the challenge and don't care nearly as much about stories and alternative worlds. That's probably also why I've ventured more into boardgaming since my teenage years.

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#73 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

One part great passion for gaming, most parts nothing better to do.

Xsan3

I'm quoting this from a different thread, but I agree - I think it says it all. For me, it's a combination of my fascination with computers, electronics and boredom :)

I stared at your avatar for 10 Minuets, anyways i play for fun and to get away from Stress, and to feed my addiction
kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#74 kaskus
With all the technology for gaming now a days.... Some kids are stuck in their rooms only playing video games and stuff. I remember when i was a kid i with my childhood friends tags, hide and seek, and jump rope... It was so fun!
Poissons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#75 Poissons
Member since 2009 • 961 Posts
Video Games are a very nice way to escape every day life.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#76 just_nonplussed

[QUOTE="muthsera666"][QUOTE="kaskus"] men and fires, flares, explosions, and destroying things. Whats up with that hehehe. Is it part of men's instincts? J_Knolling

hmm...i'm more of a 'underwater level' person myself..

kaskus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#77 kaskus

[QUOTE="J_Knolling"][QUOTE="muthsera666"] I'm going to have to go with a yes on that. There are so few things as glorious as a rising and blossoming fireball.just_nonplussed

I know I know what kind of undersea creature you are! Your Patrick the starfish!
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#78 just_nonplussed

[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

[QUOTE="J_Knolling"] Actually, I tend to think that ice structures are far more beautiful. There's nothing like a perfect icicle.... yeah, your stupid fireballs stink. -sigh- Fire and Ice people....Will they ever get along?kaskus

I know I know what kind of undersea creature you are! Your Patrick the starfish!

i'm a shark. *chomps you up* ;p

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac9265b442af
deactivated-5ac9265b442af

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#80 deactivated-5ac9265b442af
Member since 2009 • 121 Posts

I started playing Pac-Man and Asteriods on Atari when I was really young. Back in 1993 sometime. Then once I got Genesis, the world changed. Ever since I've been a gamer. Recently, I've been playing more than ever because of so many good games being available.

MJoanne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#81 MJoanne
Member since 2004 • 782 Posts

It is easy, I started playing video games for fun. Other factors play into it, like escapism and finding a challenge, but the main thing is the FUN!

Avatar image for Xenogears_Rocks
Xenogears_Rocks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#82 Xenogears_Rocks
Member since 2009 • 712 Posts

I have always liked video games but the real moment that got hooked was when I played FF IX and I still love gaming and want to find a girl who loves it like I do

kreig28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#83 kreig28
Member since 2009 • 75 Posts

a great stress reliever, keeps my mind off of things..and oh yeah, its fun..

northcoast17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#84 northcoast17
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
I started playing when I was about 5 with games like SMB3 and Contra on SNES. My mom played it a lot during the day to pass the time so sometimes I would watch or play with her. After the SNES broke down(good times blowing into the cartridges trying to make it work:P) I was a big fan of the Sonic games. Then I just basically kept going from there. I guess I just play for fun/interest or to relax or get away.