Why do we complain about grinding?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 i_have_skills
Member since 2006 • 688 Posts

After looking at forum to forum,

It seems that the newer generation of gamers seem to always complain about some games that involve grinding or alot of grinding. I can understand the frustration of doing a quest or mission and not getting the item you wanted/needed in the end, so you have to do it again and again or in some peoples case 100 times +. Still, I don't know why most complain about that.

Ok so would people prefer to always get everything you want after every single mission/quest? Ok so let's say that happens, you get everything you need after doing something one time, there is 0 sense of achievement and your done with the game after a week. Lame.

Yes, sometimes a grind is a bit annoying, but it's also apart of the game, don't you remember the feeling when you finally get the item you always wanted. After doing something over and over and bam you finally get it. That's the sense of achievement and joy im talking about. If you always get what you want, there is about no point to play that game almost. If i knew i was guaranteed something from doing a quest or mission ,there's no effort, no work, no challenge and no point, it would get boring in a instant. People like everything handed to them now and day's, which is also why so many games are so dumbed down for noobz. (minus a few exceptions)

Overall I'm just saying yea grinding is annoying and can be quite a frustration and can induce alot of rage, but it's also a big part of playing the game also. Most of you that play MMORG, or RPG's know what I'm talking about,lol.

:D

Thank's for Reading, feel free to comment on what you think :)

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#2 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
It depends on the game. I just spent 3hours grinding in the original Y's and I'm still a schmuck getting nowhere.. No real sense of accomplishement there either.
Gammit10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 119

User Lists: 2

#3 Gammit10
Member since 2004 • 2397 Posts
Because it's like mowing the lawn with scissors.
i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 i_have_skills

True alot of it depends on the game, but when you finally get to what your working for, wont it besuch a big joy/relief,lol. Almost like a burden is lifted from you, haha

i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 i_have_skills
Because it's like mowing the lawn with scissors.Gammit10
you could make a very detailed lawn with scissors :) (thats crazy though, I get what your saying)
raahsnavj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 raahsnavj
Member since 2005 • 4895 Posts
My first real experience with Grinding was on Wizardry for the x86 a long time ago. Slowly you would grind your way to the bottom of the dungeon. Each time getting a little further... It wasn't really grinding. I was making progress at beating the boss at the bottom. Eventually I beat him... then I did it again, and again... I realized I was just hoping to get a better drop in one of the chests. I already could beat it though I didn't see the reason at all to keep doing it. Then came my next major grind, Dragon Warrior. I would comb hills for hours to level up and get more gold. This was pointless grinding. It wasn't fun to do, but required to keep playing. RPG's took this as the norm and we have been in the rut ever since. Diablo 2 was the next huge grinding game of note for me. It was really fun, until I beat it once. Then I realized to keep playing I had to do Boss runs over and over hoping for a good random drop to keep going. I could play any other part of the game, but my chances of getting some good was improved by this Boss run grinding. At this point I realized grinding really sucks. Any time I have to repeat something I have already mastered for a random chance of getting something worthwhile, that is a pointless waste of time. I don't have the time in life anymore for what grinding requires. As such any game with a grinding requirement isn't even bought...
Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#7 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts

True alot of it depends on the game, but when you finally get to what your working for, wont it besuch a big joy/relief,lol. Almost like a burden is lifted from you, haha

i_have_skills
It will more feel like "ABOUT BLOODY TIME!!!" and I feel in some cases I will have long lost interest in any plot or story at that point.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Games are extremely repetitive in order to extend a game's lifespan. A good game well never or rarely ever actually *feel* repetitive or grindy. A bad game will. A player's perception of a game feeling like a grind is more important than whether or not the game is actually a grind or not.

In short: Only bad games are and feel grindy. People dont want to play bad games.

i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 i_have_skills
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

Games are extremely repetitive in order to extend a game's lifespan. A good game well never or rarely ever actually *feel* repetitive or grindy. A bad game will. A player's perception of a game feeling like a grind is more important than whether or not the game is actually a grind or not.

In short: Only bad games are and feel grindy. People dont want to play bad games.

This is the truth, all games grind. You dont realize it in something you enjoy. Good comment :)
DarkCatalyst

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DarkCatalyst
Member since 2002 • 20968 Posts

XaosII
I would use Dragon Quest and Grandia as examples. Having to level up to become more powerful is a plodding and irritating experience when your combat is as limited as it tends to be in the Dragon Quest series (haven't played the more recent games so I don't know if they ever fixed this), the original "press confirm until everything's dead" franchise. In contrast, Grandia's battle system is a joy to use, it's tactical, fluid, offers up plenty of room for creativity, and "press confirm until everything's dead" will generally feature YOUR party as the corpses. Essentially, if you're making a game with the intent on making players level-grind, make sure the battle system is the star of the show, too.
i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 i_have_skills
My first real experience with Grinding was on Wizardry for the x86 a long time ago. Slowly you would grind your way to the bottom of the dungeon. Each time getting a little further... It wasn't really grinding. I was making progress at beating the boss at the bottom. Eventually I beat him... then I did it again, and again... I realized I was just hoping to get a better drop in one of the chests. I already could beat it though I didn't see the reason at all to keep doing it. Then came my next major grind, Dragon Warrior. I would comb hills for hours to level up and get more gold. This was pointless grinding. It wasn't fun to do, but required to keep playing. RPG's took this as the norm and we have been in the rut ever since. Diablo 2 was the next huge grinding game of note for me. It was really fun, until I beat it once. Then I realized to keep playing I had to do Boss runs over and over hoping for a good random drop to keep going. I could play any other part of the game, but my chances of getting some good was improved by this Boss run grinding. At this point I realized grinding really sucks. Any time I have to repeat something I have already mastered for a random chance of getting something worthwhile, that is a pointless waste of time. I don't have the time in life anymore for what grinding requires. As such any game with a grinding requirement isn't even bought...raahsnavj
Yea, I understand the diablo part, like doing never ending Baal run's and endless MF run's. Overall I enjoy the grind or run's though. If it means im closer to something better then count me in :)
i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 i_have_skills
[QUOTE="DarkCatalyst"][QUOTE="XaosII"]

I would use Dragon Quest and Grandia as examples. Having to level up to become more powerful is a plodding and irritating experience when your combat is as limited as it tends to be in the Dragon Quest series (haven't played the more recent games so I don't know if they ever fixed this), the original "press confirm until everything's dead" franchise. In contrast, Grandia's battle system is a joy to use, it's tactical, fluid, offers up plenty of room for creativity, and "press confirm until everything's dead" will generally feature YOUR party as the corpses. Essentially, if you're making a game with the intent on making players level-grind, make sure the battle system is the star of the show, too.

Couldnt agree with you more. Well said.
Avatar image for 190586385885857957282413308806

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 116

#13 190586385885857957282413308806
Member since 2002 • 13084 Posts
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

In short: Only bad games are and feel grindy.

That's a very good point because as someone mentioned Diablo 2 and then games like Borderlands would be grindfests...but they never seem like it to me. I always thought of games like FFII which has some hidden summons and items that you'd have to keep fighting the same creatures over and over for hours in the chance that you get what you want. or even Persona 3 where 1/2 the game is about relationships and the other half is grinding to prepare for the next levels. I think grinding is primitive game design. I mean all RPG's involved grinding if you think about it but most do it through sidequests now. Adding just a little bit of story to a "kill 30 of these creatures and bring me back their noses for this special item...." does a lot to change a persons perspective on the game. You're essentially just doing the same thing it's just that now there's a bit of a reason for it and the promise of a reward.
Sloan360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#14 Sloan360
Member since 2009 • 1449 Posts

I don't know why but I always enjoy the aspect of grinding for something in the game, be it a level or an item. There is just such a huge sense of accomplishment when you're done because you can see that your time and effort has paid off.

Debus42

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 Debus42
Member since 2010 • 120 Posts

Call me weird, but I quite enjoy grinding from time to time. Pop on the music on my PC or whack in a CD, turn the game volume down and i'm well away. Admittedly, it can get tedious and dull, but as others have said it does sometimes depend on the game.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#16 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

I agree. I also believe that needing to grind in role-playing games also increases the use of strategy. It requires you to think "should I do a bit of leveling before moving ahead?" or "well I just got my ass kicked, I better go grind for a while to level up before I attempt that again" this is an amazing aspect in RPG games because it prevents them from being linear. It requires that you level up the skills/attributes/squad members that you deem necessary before moving on to the next area/dungeon/boss.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#17 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Yeah I see the complaining coming from non-rpg enthusiasts and newer gen gamers. I like the grinding in most games, and not having things given out too easily.

i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 i_have_skills

Call me weird, but I quite enjoy grinding from time to time. Pop on the music on my PC or whack in a CD, turn the game volume down and i'm well away. Admittedly, it can get tedious and dull, but as others have said it does sometimes depend on the game.

Debus42
I do the same thing sometimes,lol. Blast the music and farm/grind away haha
i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 i_have_skills

I don't know why but I always enjoy the aspect of grinding for something in the game, be it a level or an item. There is just such a huge sense of accomplishment when you're done because you can see that your time and effort has paid off.

Sloan360
You know excatly what im talking about then, cool :)

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 190586385885857957282413308806

Yeah I see the complaining coming from non-rpg enthusiasts and newer gen gamers. I like the grinding in most games, and not having things given out too easily.

Bigboi500
actually the complaint is mostly from gamers that have been gaming a long time. Grinding has been around since the early 80's don't you think after 30 years of progress games would have a better way of balancing diffulty or masking mundane, boring romps to get more XP/items?
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 XaosII

I agree. I also believe that needing to grind in role-playing games also increases the use of strategy. It requires you to think "should I do a bit of leveling before moving ahead?" or "well I just got my ass kicked, I better go grind for a while to level up before I attempt that again" this is an amazing aspect in RPG games because it prevents them from being linear. It requires that you level up the skills/attributes/squad members that you deem necessary before moving on to the next area/dungeon/boss.

cprmauldin

I disagree. I also find your example to be entirely opposing to your belief of "strategy." To fail a fight because you didn't use your abilities, items, or characters to full potential is perfectly fine and a use of strategy - poorly used, but still strategy. To fail a fight because you simply werent strong enough stastically, while following proper progression, has no element of strategy. It sounds more to me like the game has bad pacing.

This is pretty much why grinding is only found in A) MMO's as an artifical means to extend player subscription length (while paradoxically lowering player retention from excessive grinding) and B) JRPG's which are often stuck on antiquated design.

I think i can point to Dragon Age to show you an RPG that is very non-linear without having to rely on any moment of perceived grind.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 190586385885857957282413308806
[QUOTE="XaosII"]

I disagree. I also find your example to be entirely opposing to your belief of "strategy." To fail a fight because you didn't use your abilities, items, or characters to full potential is perfectly fine and a use of strategy - poorly used, but still strategy. To fail a fight because you simply werent strong enough stastically, while following proper progression, has no element of strategy. It sounds more to me like the game has bad pacing.

This is pretty much why grinding pretty much only found in A) MMO's as an artifical means to extend player subscription length (while paradoxically lowering player retention from excessive grinding) and B) JRPG's which are often stuck on antiquated design.

I think i can point to Dragon Age to show you an RPG that is very non-linear without having to rely on any moment of perceived grind.

It's like you're reading my mind. I was going to say getting to someone you can't beat then going off to do something for a while in hopes when you return you can beat that person isn't strategy that's a game with uneven difficulty. If i'm in a fight and i get my teeth kicked in and come back 2 weeks later on steroids and with a bat...thats not really strategy.
Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]

smerlus

actually the complaint is mostly from gamers that have been gaming a long time. Grinding has been around since the early 80's don't you think after 30 years of progress games would have a better way of balancing diffulty or masking mundane, boring romps to get more XP/items?

Nope. That's like saying fps fans are tired of shooting things, and want new ways to be rid of their enemies. Level grinding is part of playing RPGs. Traditional RPG fans like myself actually like it, go figure.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#24 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Because it's an antiquated bit of gaming design (or lack of design). Proper planning on the developer's part could easily scale enemy encounters and your level in an RPG without forcing you to resort to grinding battles all the time. Hell, Chrono Cross did that years ago.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#25 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Nope. That's like saying fps fans are tired of shooting things, and want new ways to be rid of their enemies. Level grinding is part of playing RPGs. Traditional RPG fans like myself actually like it, go figure.Bigboi500
That's not a particularly comparable act.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 190586385885857957282413308806

Nope. That's like saying fps fans are tired of shooting things, and want new ways to be rid of their enemies. Level grinding is part of playing RPGs. Traditional RPG fans like myself actually like it, go figure.

Bigboi500

Terrible analogy. Shooting in FPS's has gone through numerous changes since the early days (which by the way don't date as far back as grinding in RPG's) Graphics/Iron sights, Cover, how many guns you can carry, trajectory, trying to match the realism of the gun that it is supposed to be portraying...etc Grinding is...well grinding. it is always going to be the same and it's never going to change. but then again i must have only started playing games recently...go figure

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]Nope. That's like saying fps fans are tired of shooting things, and want new ways to be rid of their enemies. Level grinding is part of playing RPGs. Traditional RPG fans like myself actually like it, go figure.

smerlus

Terrible analogy. Shooting in FPS's has gone through numerous changes since the early days (which by the way don't date as far back as grinding in RPG's) Graphics/Iron sights, Cover, how many guns you can carry, trajectory, trying to match the realism of the gun that it is supposed to be portraying...etc Grinding is...well grinding. it is always going to be the same and it's never going to change. but then again i must have only started playing games recently...go figure

all I'm saying is some of us don't mind grinding. Those that don't like it will go play another genre.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 190586385885857957282413308806

all I'm saying is some of us don't mind grinding. Those that don't like it will go play another genre.

Bigboi500

Ahh so the truth comes out. I understand people actually like this gameplay design and i have no problem that you enjoy this feature because there are hundreds of other games to choose from that don't involve grinding that i can pick from.

Buuuuuut when people say it is an antiquated feature, that's not a lie. So there was really no need to generalize and say that only new gamers or people that don't like RPG's are the people that don't like grinding. Pretty much anyone that would prefer a WRPG vs. a JRPG are people that enjoy RPG's and probably don't see a need for grinding when there are newer ways to reward the player through balanced difficulty and side quests with stories and purpose outside of said feeling of accomplishment.

When you like something. As long as people aren't calling you names for liking that thing, there shouldn't be a need to try to undermine someone else's opinion by calling them noobs or haters. I enjoyed my play through of Alpha Protocol, you won't see me call anyone who plays it and doesn't like it a person that doesn't play RPG's or a person that just started gaming yesterday.

shinian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#29 shinian
Member since 2005 • 6871 Posts

It's boring. There's no fun to butchering the same set of enemies for the hundredth time to gain the needed gold or exp.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Bigboi500

[QUOTE="Bigboi500"]all I'm saying is some of us don't mind grinding. Those that don't like it will go play another genre.

smerlus

Ahh so the truth comes out. I understand people actually like this gameplay design and i have no problem that you enjoy this feature because there are hundreds of other games to choose from that don't involve grinding that i can pick from.

Buuuuuut when people say it is an antiquated feature, that's not a lie. So there was really no need to generalize and say that only new gamers or people that don't like RPG's are the people that don't like grinding. Pretty much anyone that would prefer a WRPG vs. a JRPG are people that enjoy RPG's and probably don't see a need for grinding when there are newer ways to reward the player through balanced difficulty and side quests with stories and purpose outside of said feeling of accomplishment.

When you like something. As long as people aren't calling you names for liking that thing, there shouldn't be a need to try to undermine someone else's opinion by calling them noobs or haters. I enjoyed my play through of Alpha Protocol, you won't see me call anyone who plays it and doesn't like it a person that doesn't play RPG's or a person that just started gaming yesterday.

Just calling it like I see it, no need to take it personally. I quite often hear younger and new gamers saying traditional RPGs are "boring". Most of those posters are only interested in games with explosions, boobs, blood, guns, etc.

I know some long-time vet gamers think traditional rpg actions are "boring" as well, but like I said before, they're not generally rpg fans in the first place. I for instance, find most fps games boring, and get tired of the antiquated "shoot enemy, hide behind wall, run, jump, strafe, shoot, formula. Different strokes for different folks.

i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 i_have_skills

I like seeing other people's point of view on this subject.

Grinding to a point is basicly old fashion, or as some say it a way to streach a game out to play it longer, r make it seem like the game last longer when really you spend 3/4th the time leveling just to fight one boss, wash,rinse and repeat. This is the only type of grininding myself i dont like. The type i enjoy is more the MMO/JRPG format, as in really stupid drop rates for a (usally you need just 1)item you need as example,lol. I like the reward feeling when i finally get it. I dont mind having to run something 10+ times, im looking at the end result.

Another example would be Demon Souls. To do everything you have to play the game 2-3 times. (Every time crushing your own soul for the little mistake you would make causing you to die...again,lol) This though, was an enjoyable grind. Which i had no problem doing.

In the end, I prefer more of the JRPG over the WRPG, WRPG's are just way to easy, no challange and most of everything is laid out for you (I know this isnt true for all WRPG, but for most yes).

also.....

There is even grinding in FPS (Prestiegeing sound familiar? :p )

i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 i_have_skills

It's boring. There's no fun to butchering the same set of enemies for the hundredth time to gain the needed gold or exp.

shinian
It is fun to butcher, I dont know what your talking about,lol. Me+owning something= enjoyment. I dont think that formula could ever grow old
i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 i_have_skills
Because it's an antiquated bit of gaming design (or lack of design). Proper planning on the developer's part could easily scale enemy encounters and your level in an RPG without forcing you to resort to grinding battles all the time. Hell, Chrono Cross did that years ago.DJ_Lae
Yes, I think Chrono Cross is a game they did a great job in minimizing the grinding but still offering alot to do and alot to obtain. Very rewarding game
Hellfire-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#34 Hellfire-1
Member since 2009 • 3532 Posts
It;s a pain to grind experience, but it is nessesary, and so I manage to do it without too much complaining.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 XaosII

I like seeing other people's point of view on this subject.

Grinding to a point is basicly old fashion, or as some say it a way to streach a game out to play it longer, r make it seem like the game last longer when really you spend 3/4th the time leveling just to fight one boss, wash,rinse and repeat. This is the only type of grininding myself i dont like. The type i enjoy is more the MMO/JRPG format, as in really stupid drop rates for a (usally you need just 1)item you need as example,lol. I like the reward feeling when i finally get it. I dont mind having to run something 10+ times, im looking at the end result.

Another example would be Demon Souls. To do everything you have to play the game 2-3 times. (Every time crushing your own soul for the little mistake you would make causing you to die...again,lol) This though, was an enjoyable grind. Which i had no problem doing.

In the end, I prefer more of the JRPG over the WRPG, WRPG's are just way to easy, no challange and most of everything is laid out for you (I know this isnt true for all WRPG, but for most yes).

also.....

There is even grinding in FPS (Prestiegeing sound familiar? :p )

i_have_skills

Games really play on the concept of time and effort versus reward. Something that takes more time and effort should yield greater rewards. Poor game design creates a poor balance of these elements. Great rewards for little time and effort cheapens the reward. Too much time and effort for a low reward makes the player feel cheated and often frustrated.

Old school games, especially platformers inflated their difficulties with trial-and-error style design. many of these games are quite short if you land every platform and enemy perfectly - which takes great effort. But small mistakes will cause you to start a level all over again or worse, significantly increasing the time it takes to get through a level or the game. These games took alot of time and effort to beat.

The general trend in recent gaming (last 8 years or so) has been heading towards rewarding more for effort rather than time. Quests or objectives tend to be shorter and yield equal or better rewards than they used to. This leads to some people perceiving newer games as easier. But they aren't really. They are just balanced and designed better.

What you are experiencing is the nostalgia of old school gaming where a greater expenditure of time was required for *any* kind of reward. You've equated the two and have come to accept that as normal and feel that the rewards feel less if less time was given, even if the reward was actually the same.

There isn't anything wrong with that. Its simply flawed design in my opinion and harkens back to the type of time/effort/reward design of much older games. Thats why i call it antiquated.

I wouldn't necessarily call prestiege in CoD as grinding, but some players can think of it that way - which makes prestiege flawed in my book if players perceive it to be so. FPS typically tip the scales to reward effort much, much more than time. The nature of its design promotes that style of design. its why alot of FPS games are so short. The leveling system was added as a way to reward time invested as well as the effort you'd normally put in. No matter how bad you are in CoD, you can reach level 70.

But anyways, im getting a bit off topic. But i think thats the main reason some people enjoy certain types of really grindy games. I tend to analyze heavily games i play which tends to make me enjoy some games, but really dislike others.

Seiryuu-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Seiryuu-
Member since 2010 • 1202 Posts
I usually do not mind it as long as it is not the entire game. I get annoyed when I grind for 3 hours just to go through 20 minutes of plot and then have to grind another 3 hours. Just better balance would be nice.
Chris_Williams

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Chris_Williams
Member since 2009 • 14882 Posts

it sucks the fun out for me

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#38 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Grinding is usually tedious. The bad part is, while some RPGs have had smart ways of reducing grinding or eliminating it completely, they're few and far between.

One game that comes to mind is Valkyrie Profile 1. In that game, you had a pool of EXP that you could use to distribute among your party. Basically, you could level up your party without worrying about grinding.

Lost_Omega

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lost_Omega
Member since 2009 • 39 Posts

9 times out of 10 I don't even know the item exists and when I do get it I'd be like "I didn't know this was here!"

Angry_Beaver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Angry_Beaver
Member since 2003 • 4884 Posts

Pretty much anyone that would prefer a WRPG vs. a JRPG are people that enjoy RPG's and probably don't see a need for grinding when there are newer ways to reward the player through balanced difficulty and side quests with stories and purpose outside of said feeling of accomplishment.

smerlus

Exactly the case with me. I don't play many RPGs, but Morrowind, Oblivion, and The Witcher are excellent. It's not necessary in those games to grind at all, though you may choose to do so. Experience is gained through just plain using your skills in the case of the two Elder Scrolls games, whereas in The Witcher, experience is gained mostly through quest completion. But in no case is it necessary to go out and keep killing and killing and killing enemies over and over and over just to progress in the game.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44172 Posts
I usually don't mind grinding. Sometimes it can be rather enjoyable.
i_have_skills

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 i_have_skills
I usually don't mind grinding. Sometimes it can be rather enjoyable.Archangel3371
Especially when you have friends with you :) you dont even realize you just did the same quest 100 times lol