why do some people consider games a waste of time?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 0

#1 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

is it just ignorance? and have you as a gamer ever felt that you may be wasting your time playing, or do you consider it time well spent?

Gastman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Gastman
Member since 2005 • 265 Posts
Well I do playing video game after I come home from work then it is a long work day but I have alot of free time beside other video games.
Jakesta7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 49

#3 Jakesta7
Member since 2007 • 2472 Posts
I find them as: fun, stress reliever, and when u r bored, it is nice to do something
Lostboy1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4 Lostboy1224
Member since 2007 • 3425 Posts
Well, it beats the hell out of most of the stuff on TV these days. 2. Its cheaper then a lot of other hobbies people have (example: golf), 3. It is a way to remain at home with the fam instead of going out by myself and leaving them behind (my daughter and i play Left 4 Dead together a lot), 4. as long as you don't let it consume your life then it is a fun hobby to have. There are pitfalls of gaming but only if you take it to the extreme, and that can be said about almost anything you do in life.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts
Videogames help me to relax when i'm feeling stressed out.
Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#6 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts

Oh, it is definately a waste of time. Think about it, time is a very valuable commodity. You aren't productive when you are playing video games, watching TV, reading books, etc. It could only be beneficial down the road if you happen to use the knowledge gained within your hours of play. However, as it relates to the present, it is certainly a waste of time.

But an very fun, stress-relieving, and entertaining one, lol.

one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#7 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
I think it can be considered a waste of time if that's all you do.
wizdom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#8 wizdom
Member since 2003 • 10111 Posts
[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"]

is it just ignorance? and have you as a gamer ever felt that you may be wasting your time playing, or do you consider it time well spent?

Ignorance? Not really it's just their opinion, its the same reason why we find things other people to do pointless, gaming is a hobby and just like any other hobby in the world its subjective to the person that is viewing it.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 just_nonplussed

Oh, it is definately a waste of time. Think about it, time is a very valuable commodity. You aren't productive when you are playing video games, watching TV, reading books, etc. It could only be beneficial down the road if you happen to use the knowledge gained within your hours of play. However, as it relates to the present, it is certainly a waste of time.

Dragonblade01

yeah, i was thinking that. you can learn a lot about games, as an art form. it might not be of any immediate use, but i think if a game can make you think and you can relate it to other things that you do, it is very intellectually satisfying.

i think it's interesting that you accept that your playtime is a waste. i guess you might think the same of all hobbies? but it's important to know that you can't work all the time or you will get ill and burn yourself out. play and work should find some way to co-exist.

Ish_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Ish_basic
Member since 2002 • 5051 Posts

Games are just another way to unwind, and as far as productivity is concerned - you can't work all the time and still be as productive. You need time to relax and restore, and everybody has their tools to help accomplish this. Games are such a tool. Periods of "unproductiveness" are essential to continued productivity.

People won't usually look at their own habits as time wasters, only the habits of others which they don't share. For them, it probably would be a waste of time, as they wouldn't get the same things out of it that you do. So I'd say, yes, part of it is ignorance. But there's also the "greatest generation" factor - anything I didn't have growing up must be a blight on the world. People have been playa hatin on the younger generations since ancient Greece. Ignore it, it's not going away, and you're going to do it to your children, too.

Dragonblade01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Dragonblade01
Member since 2004 • 5747 Posts
[QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]

just_nonplussed

yeah, i was thinking that. you can learn a lot about games, as an art form. it might not be of any immediate use, but i think if a game can make you think and you can relate it to other things that you do, it is very intellectually satisfying.

i think it's interesting that you accept that your playtime is a waste. i guess you might think the same of all hobbies? but it's important to know that you can't work all the time or you will get ill and burn yourself out. play and work should find some way to co-exist.

I think that anything that isn't productive (or training to be productive, in the case of schools) can be considered a waste of time. Now, am I upset about playing video games, watching TV, reading books, listening to music, practicing martial arts, etc.? Not one bit. I'd probably be bored out of my skull otherwise.

I'm not saying periods of downtime are unnecessary. However, that period can still be considered a "waste of time" as the phrase itself suggests that you are doing something that isn't, in a sense, productive. It is a "waste" and could have been used doing something else. Basically, I'm giving you my response based on a rather literal interpretation of the phrase.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 just_nonplussed
[QUOTE="just_nonplussed"][QUOTE="Dragonblade01"]

Dragonblade01

I think that anything that isn't productive (or training to be productive, in the case of schools) can be considered a waste of time. Now, am I upset about playing video games, watching TV, reading books, listening to music, practicing martial arts, etc.? Not one bit. I'd probably be bored out of my skull otherwise.

I'm not saying periods of downtime are unnecessary. However, that period can still be considered a "waste of time" as the phrase itself suggests that you are doing something that isn't, in a sense, productive. It is a "waste" and could have been used doing something else. Basically, I'm giving you my response based on a rather literal interpretation of the phrase.

i wouldn't use the word 'waste', but i think i know where you're coming from. the opposite of production is waste and so on. a waste of time for me is doing something i find no pleasure and/or use in. waiting around for instance... although that might be necessary. i'd probably try to use that waiting time as thinking time. portable gaming to fill in blanks of 'dead time' i actually find i can't do as much as i did. i want to try to look out the window or find something interesting in my current surroundings. the game can be played anytime.

OhioKid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 OhioKid
Member since 2007 • 164 Posts
I think like every hobby, there are people who think its boring. Some people may say video games are a waste if time, some may say fishing or other activities are a waste of time. Its just there opinion.
Fredrick2003x

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Fredrick2003x
Member since 2005 • 2056 Posts
I never understood it myself. I would constantly get that. "Why don't you do something with your life like play a sport?"
33drum33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 33drum33
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts
Video games are entertainment, and people think of them as a waste of time, since they don't have any solid outcome in the real world, other than the sense of acheivement (usually). But when someone says that to you, ask them how often they watch tv, and then point out the level of interactivity is much higher in video games. Why watch something, when you can control it?
Iceman8012

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#16 Iceman8012
Member since 2004 • 827 Posts
I don't ever feel as if I am wasting time. Look at it this way, If you are playing a multiplayer game online it is just like you are playing a board game without having to go to their house. You interact the same way. You work together or against each other and you communicate and talk. If you are playing a game with a decent story it is more like watching a movie but you are the movie. If someone says that you are wasting time playing a video game then it is just like saying that it is wrong to socialize and watch movies. Hypocritical in that sense to say that. The only way that you are wasting time in a video game is when you pause the game and watch the menu screen flicker
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts
Because they do. I don't mind though. We can only expect them to be respected more as time goes by.
Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts
I know a ot of people who consider video gaming to be a waste of time, and I wouldn't consider them ignorant for that. It's just an opinion. Personally, I think of video games as something that could legitimately be called a waste of my time. However, it's basically the only hobby that I have, and so whenever I just want to relax and play a game, I do, whether or not it's productive. It's what keeps me sane while juggling work, sleep, and relationships. Also a plus: video games can oftentimes teach you things, and they keep your wits sharpened.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
First of all its because they are ignorant, second because they are stubborn and thrid because they don't know how to kick back and relax...they are freaks or as I like to call them workaholics or slaves...******s need to learn to go shove one and go have some fun. Games are fun the only people who don't think so won't give them a chance because they think they are to big for it...or because they get their holes owned at a game and start crying about it...need to learn to grow up, open up and have some damn fun....they are to childish they can't even take a loss...its called living, we aren't all dead yet but living with half the people on this planet we might as well be.
so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#20 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts
Drinking, eating, crapping, doing drugs, sleeping, and a million other necessary things seem like equal time wasters to me.
J-Z-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 J-Z-
Member since 2009 • 324 Posts

Video gaming can actually benefit a couple as an activity and tool to spend time with eachother.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I am pretty sure its the same people who used to say that reading books was a waste of time.

Some people just don't get escapism, it is utterly alien to them, for these people all that matters really is work and outwards appearance.

While I grew up I used to hear that playing games was a waste of time, and that I should use my time for more constructive things, like sports (of all things).

Those voices died down here in Denmark tho, at the mid 90' it was quite clear that interactive games would eventually grow to surpass every and any other kind of media.

All that is left of those people who claimed such has long been proven very wrong. Games are a very good way of learning, and honing alot of skills (no driving is not one of them :P)

Incidently the people who used to claim that games were a waste of time, were those who never did look into what a game consisted of.

ShotGunBunny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ShotGunBunny
Member since 2004 • 2184 Posts
Maybe because they ARE? Isn't that the whole point? :D
Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Nifty_Shark

I am pretty sure its the same people who used to say that reading books was a waste of time.

Some people just don't get escapism, it is utterly alien to them, for these people all that matters really is work and outwards appearance.

While I grew up I used to hear that playing games was a waste of time, and that I should use my time for more constructive things, like sports (of all things).

Maddie_Larkin

The only people claiming books are a waste of time are fools that don't get that your vocabulary grows from reading.

People do get escapism just not every kind. Sports especially team sports are beneficial for a person to work with other people. I don't know anybody hat would say sports are harmful to a person out of principle.

skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

Everything is a waste of time because we will just die anyway. Hehehe. Just kidding. I want to live long. :)

I only consider games as a waste of time if it doesn't have a story.

Books are not a waste of time because in return, you get a good story (if it is good though). As long as you get something in return, then it's not a waste of time.

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Nifty_Shark

Everything is a waste of time because we will just die anyway. Hehehe. Just kidding. I want to live long. :)

I only consider games as a waste of time if it doesn't have a story.

Books are not a waste of time because in return, you get a good story (if it is good though). As long as you get something in return, then it's not a waste of time.

skp_16

*Looks at your icon*

"Find Martin. Get him back to the capital. Close Oblivion gates. Martin turns into dragon and saves all of Cyrodil."

Story of the decade:P

XIntoTheBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 XIntoTheBlue
Member since 2009 • 1070 Posts
I can see how people can interpret it as a waste of time because there are gamers out there who will do nothing but play video games. I think that is the basic reason why people consider it as such. I don't consider it to be a waste of time. See, everyone needs to unwind, relieve stress, feel enterteined and engaged. People need to be able to spend at least a portion of their time doing that or else they won't be as happy with life as they could be. Hell, it gives people a more postive attitude in their daily lives, and their attitude effects how productive they are in everything they do. In that sense, it can be argued that it's not a waste of time.
Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#28 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts
There are times that I feel like games are a waste of time. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance, just preference.
Mawy_Golomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 Mawy_Golomb
Member since 2008 • 1047 Posts

While I like video games, I do think that there are many types of games out there that are either intolerable or too cliché for me. Most people are turned off by video games because many games offer nothing but violence as a part of the gameplay, which is often glorified. What happened to morales and ethics in video games? Did they just suddenly disappear? I am a very moral being and make careful decisions before deciding which games to play.

Sorry, but I think that most people waste their time playing games. To me, playing for the sake of letting time fly by is absurd. When I look at any form of art (i.e. fine arts, sculptures, literature, movies, TV, video games, etc.), I look for the meaning that a work is trying to make clear. If it is too weak, or glorifies evil, I just decide to stay away from it. Sadly, many games glorify violence, and few ever discuss nonviolence.

just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 just_nonplussed

There are times that I feel like games are a waste of time. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance, just preference.smokeydabear076

yes, but before you make a judgement with your opinion, you need to base that opinion on experience of what you're judging. if you've played games before and then say they are a waste of time, or childish then..fair enough.

Avatar image for smokeydabear076
smokeydabear076

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 smokeydabear076
Member since 2004 • 22109 Posts

[QUOTE="smokeydabear076"]There are times that I feel like games are a waste of time. I don't think it has anything to do with ignorance, just preference.just_nonplussed

yes, but before you make a judgement with your opinion, you need to base that opinion on experience of what you're judging. if you've played games before and then say they are a waste of time, or childish then..fair enough.

Well yeah, that's kinda obvious.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 just_nonplussed

While I like video games, I do think that there are many types of games out there that are either intolerable or too cliché for me. Most people are turned off by video games because many games offer nothing but violence as a part of the gameplay, which is often glorified. What happened to morales and ethics in video games? Did they just suddenly disappear? I am a very moral being and make careful decisions before deciding which games to play.

Sorry, but I think that most people waste their time playing games. To me, playing for the sake of letting time fly by is absurd. When I look at any form of art (i.e. fine arts, sculptures, literature, movies, TV, video games, etc.), I look for the meaning that a work is trying to make clear. If it is too weak, or glorifies evil, I just decide to stay away from it. Sadly, many games glorify violence, and few ever discuss nonviolence.

Mawy_Golomb

hey, you make an interesting point. i think ethic systems, belief systems and other ways of seeing life would breathe new life and new ideas into games. it just might be difficult from a developer point-of-view, as the idea or concept often comes from someone higher up who may not have certain ideologies or might not be interested or open to exploring those ways of thought.

i imagine it's difficult to make a 'far out' game idea or anything intensely personal or emotional in such a 'team context' with work collegues. in this respect, games aren't art. but they art in others respects.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts
"Time" is up to the individual to spend how they see fit, and if you use your "time" to criticize what someone else is up to then you are indeed wasting your time.
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 just_nonplussed

"Time" is up to the individual to spend how they see fit, and if you use your "time" to criticize what someone else is up to then you are indeed wasting your time.nitsud_19

i see what you did there. very clever. that would be an awesome comeback.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 nitsud_19

Mawy_Golomb

In your thread you said you've studied the workings of Ghandi and such, that being said philosophy/enlightenment isn't something you read and learn from a book of a guy who lived it. You live it or you dont and you dont. It shows in your sense of pity for people and things (violence) that you have no control over. Did Ghandi or Nelson Mandela complain over what had happened to them, no. Bickering over situations you have no control over is utter ignorance for your own well being.

nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 nitsud_19
[QUOTE="Mawy_Golomb"]

nitsud_19

In your thread you said you've studied the workings of Ghandi and such, that being said philosophy/enlightenment isn't something you read and learn from a book of a guy who lived it. You live it or you dont and you dont. It shows in your sense of pity for people and things (violence) that you have no control over. Did Ghandi or Nelson Mandela complain over what had happened to them, no. Bickering over situations you have no control over is utter ignorance for your own well being.

I know there is a heavy sense of irony in my last sentence, i'm not perfect, i'm human.