Why do PS3 and 360 games cost more than PC games?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 0

#1 UT_Wrestler
Member since 2004 • 16426 Posts
I just started thinking about a stupid inconsistency in the logic that the game industry throws at us. They say that the reason most new console games cost 60 bucks is to cover the rising development costs. If this is true, then why is it that you can buy the exact same game on PC for 50? It completely destroys their rationale!
Avatar image for deactivated-586249e1b64ba
deactivated-586249e1b64ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-586249e1b64ba
Member since 2004 • 7629 Posts

Licencing fees, development costs, and consoles are generally sold at less than manufacturing price.

PC developers don't pay Microsoft a single penny no matter how huge their games are.

BaconBurns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 BaconBurns
Member since 2008 • 81 Posts
The game industry is a business. And like most businesses, its all about making money. Console games on average sell more than PC games. That's why PC games are cheaper and tend to drop in price faster. As long as we (the consumer) are willing to shell out $60 bucks or more for a game the prices will remain the same or go even higher.
rzepak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rzepak
Member since 2005 • 5758 Posts
$10...you have nothing to complain about. In Poland pc games cost on avarage 80zl (zl is the polish currency) and console games cost above 200. Most are 240zl. Since a dollar is worth about 2.6zl that makes PC games cheap and console game expensive as hell Explain that...
axearmor426

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 axearmor426
Member since 2007 • 628 Posts

$10...you have nothing to complain about. In Poland pc games cost on avarage 80zl (zl is the polish currency) and console games cost above 200. Most are 240zl. Since a dollar is worth about 2.6zl that makes PC games cheap and console game expensive as hell Explain that...rzepak

The Australian dollar is currently worth 92 US cents. This means that a $50.00 PC game in the US should be worth $54.25 or there abouts in Australia. That's a direct comparison of exchange rates by the way, doesn't include any import fees or whatnot, but still. We get slugged about $100.00AUD for a PC game, and anywhere between $100.00 to $120.00 for Console. Kinda being ripped off, over here.

Franko_3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#6 Franko_3
Member since 2003 • 5729 Posts

[QUOTE="rzepak"]$10...you have nothing to complain about. In Poland pc games cost on avarage 80zl (zl is the polish currency) and console games cost above 200. Most are 240zl. Since a dollar is worth about 2.6zl that makes PC games cheap and console game expensive as hell Explain that...axearmor426

The Australian dollar is currently worth 92 US cents. This means that a $50.00 PC game in the US should be worth $54.25 or there abouts in Australia. That's a direct comparison of exchange rates by the way, doesn't include any import fees or whatnot, but still. We get slugged about $100.00AUD for a PC game, and anywhere between $100.00 to $120.00 for Console. Kinda being ripped off, over here.

same for Canada. 1us$=1$can and we still pay our console video game 69.99 to 79.99. Pc video game on the side are alway 20$+ cheaper than console, I will let you guess why I became a pc gamer :P Paying 50$ for the orange box on the pc instead of 70 for the x360 version. Greedy company.

1fast6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#7 1fast6
Member since 2004 • 729 Posts
they do it because they CAN charge more... and you WILL pay more...
Avatar image for ViscaBarcaInter
ViscaBarcaInter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 ViscaBarcaInter
Member since 2007 • 382 Posts
2 main reasons stand out, the larger probability of sales on a console game and the royalty payments to the console maker the game appears on. No unified PC provider = no licensing type fees.
Anofalye

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#9 Anofalye
Member since 2006 • 702 Posts

Because if you have a console, what else can you do with it?

If you have a PC, you can surf the net, write text, checks news/website/youtube. You have also more gaming options.

They take into account the fact that peoples with a consoles have only 1 thing to justify this purchase, games. So games will cost more. This is a simple mindtrap setting. PC gamers? Well, for one, if the game is to expansive, some players will start checking other illegal avenues (I would never myself, but I know some/most does).

cobrax25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 cobrax25
Member since 2006 • 9649 Posts

The game industry is a business. And like most businesses, its all about making money. Console games on average sell more than PC games. That's why PC games are cheaper and tend to drop in price faster. As long as we (the consumer) are willing to shell out $60 bucks or more for a game the prices will remain the same or go even higher.BaconBurns

That has nothing to do with it....nor is that true at all.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#11 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Consoles are more expensive to develop for, but games tend to sell better on them. Both reasons = price increase.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
If there are people willing to pay, the prices will continue to rise. The only reason why console games cost more than PC games is because Sony and Microsoft know that people will pay 10 extra dollars for a game because its "next-gen."
Gunraidan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gunraidan
Member since 2007 • 4272 Posts

If there are people willing to pay, the prices will continue to rise. The only reason why console games cost more than PC games is because Sony and Microsoft know that people will pay 10 extra dollars for a game because its "next-gen."foxhound_fox

Well there is licensing fees but I see where you are coming from. I mean I didn't think that people were stupid enough to pay for online and downloadable content but hey it worked.

SupremeJinni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 SupremeJinni
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts
PC games are cheaper because developers have to pay licensing fees to have their games play on consoles (Roughly $10 per copy). Microsoft gets $10 for every game sold on their platform, same with Sony and Nintendo. The PC doesn't have those licensing fees. If the 360 version cost the same as the PC version, the developer would be making $10 less profit per copy sold. This way, all different versions yield the same $$$ profit.

UpInFlames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#17 UpInFlames
Member since 2004 • 13301 Posts

PC games are cheaper because developers have to pay licensing fees to have their games play on consoles (Roughly $10 per copy). Microsoft gets $10 for every game sold on their platform, same with Sony and Nintendo. The PC doesn't have those licensing fees. If the 360 version cost the same as the PC version, the developer would be making $10 less profit per copy sold. This way, all different versions yield the same $$$ profit.SupremeJinni

Then how come this wasn't a problem last gen? Also, how come first-party games are the same price as third-party if that's all there is to it? Royalties aren't anywhere near $10 a copy, that would be insane.

SupremeJinni

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SupremeJinni
Member since 2008 • 60 Posts

[QUOTE="SupremeJinni"]PC games are cheaper because developers have to pay licensing fees to have their games play on consoles (Roughly $10 per copy). Microsoft gets $10 for every game sold on their platform, same with Sony and Nintendo. The PC doesn't have those licensing fees. If the 360 version cost the same as the PC version, the developer would be making $10 less profit per copy sold. This way, all different versions yield the same $$$ profit.UpInFlames

Then how come this wasn't a problem last gen? Also, how come first-party games are the same price as third-party if that's all there is to it? Royalties aren't anywhere near $10 a copy, that would be insane.

It wasn't a problem last gen because the development costs (I forgot to include that part in my previous post) were much lower than they are today. I admit that I went off base about the part on licensing fees, but there's no denying that the $10 increase was due mainly to high development costs. The publishers argued that the $10 increase was needed to help offset the rise in production costs as more and more money were being spent on big budget games.

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 UT_Wrestler

[QUOTE="rzepak"]$10...you have nothing to complain about. In Poland pc games cost on avarage 80zl (zl is the polish currency) and console games cost above 200. Most are 240zl. Since a dollar is worth about 2.6zl that makes PC games cheap and console game expensive as hell Explain that...axearmor426

Damn you guys have to pay 120 bucks for ONE game?

UT_Wrestler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 UT_Wrestler
[QUOTE="axearmor426"]

[QUOTE="rzepak"]$10...you have nothing to complain about. In Poland pc games cost on avarage 80zl (zl is the polish currency) and console games cost above 200. Most are 240zl. Since a dollar is worth about 2.6zl that makes PC games cheap and console game expensive as hell Explain that...Franko_3

same for Canada. 1us$=1$can and we still pay our console video game 69.99 to 79.99. Pc video game on the side are alway 20$+ cheaper than console, I will let you guess why I became a pc gamer :P Paying 50$ for the orange box on the pc instead of 70 for the x360 version. Greedy company.

Franco, you're WAY off. 1 US dollar=1.50 canadian dollars, so that's why things seem more expensive there.

SleepyByte

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 SleepyByte
Member since 2007 • 305 Posts

Franco, you're WAY off. 1 US dollar=1.50 canadian dollars, so that's why things seem more expensive there.UT_Wrestler

I'm sorry but your way off. As of Friday the exchange rate was/is 1 USD = 0.991 CAD http://www.x-rates.com/

~edit~ whoops sorry read the wrong line
It's actually 1 USD = 1.0088 CAD :)