why do people think that newer games are better than games

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Nicholas_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

Edited By Nicholas_games
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

ok i not saying that new suck. heck even some are better than old ones. but just beause super mario bros wii u is new does not mean its better than super mario world. but hey just tell me what you think.

Byshop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#1 Byshop  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 20504 Posts

Assuming you meant "why do people think that newer games are better than older games", I'd say that the obvious thing that most people are responding to would be increased production values and technical prowess. At a glance, most newer games look better than older games because of the nature of how the industry evolves. However, I agree that deep down there are plenty of great games to be found that are older and "current gen" in no way guarantees a game will be good.

-Byshop

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44179 Posts

Because people like different things.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

It's usually newer gamers who falsely believe "newer is always better" because they've not played the older stuff for a proper comparison, and tend to judge games only by looks.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#4 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

There are those who only rate value of a game on it's performance hence new is better to these sorts. The focus on resolution and frames per second and all of that is pretty much just on forums such as these. The average person focuses on fun and anyone who has been around a while is likely to look back fondly on those old games.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

I've been gaming for 30 years now and gaming today is incredible when you compare it to the NES. I'm not one for online competitive games, but comparing single player story driven experiences the difference is massive. Better graphics. Better controls. Better writing. Better sound. In short, just about better in every way. We are spoiled.

As an example, if my 15 year old self in 1996 got the chance to play the 2014 Tomb Raider DE on PS4 right after playing the 1996 original Tomb Raider on PS1.... I would have shit myself.

That said, obviously not every current game is great or even good. I still prefer any given Genesis or even Game Gear Sonic game to any Sonic game made in the last decade.

It's still a game by game basis for me but when you compare what's possible today versus even 15 years ago, there are massive differences. It makes me a bit sad to see how much bitching is done about today's games as it's obvious how much is taken for granted.

DandelionWine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6 DandelionWine
Member since 2016 • 100 Posts

Some stuff is quantifiably better though, like graphical capabilities, sound design, technical prowess, etc. This isn't a matter of opinion; there's no denying how incredibly games have evolved in this department. Universe expansion and immersion, too, has improved. Whether or not someone prefers this is another matter.

However, this is a measure of game improvements overall. A game with high technical capabilities can still have a shitty story, be riddled with bugs, have poor game mechanics. What helps to contribute to make a game great--and this is true no matter how good your game is--is good design. The early Mario games, while simple, had excellent subtle design choices that intuitively told the player how to begin. And the purpose of improved graphics, technical abilities, sound design, and game mechanics is, ultimately, to design even more intuitive and creative immersion tactics. Not every game succeeds of course. Many older games are better than newer ones, and vice versa.

In the end though, it's a matter of opinion.

Celtic_34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Celtic_34
Member since 2011 • 1903 Posts

I think older games are better. It depends though. Particularly some older rpg's are really better. Most action adventure games are better now imo. Sports games have kind of remained the same just new year better graphics same gameplay.

mastermetal777

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

User Lists: 2

#8 mastermetal777
Member since 2009 • 3236 Posts

I tend tend not to think of any game as being better than another simply because of its age. There are good games from each era.

MrGeezer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MrGeezer
Member since 2002 • 59765 Posts

@Telekill said:

I've been gaming for 30 years now and gaming today is incredible when you compare it to the NES. I'm not one for online competitive games, but comparing single player story driven experiences the difference is massive. Better graphics. Better controls. Better writing. Better sound. In short, just about better in every way. We are spoiled.

As an example, if my 15 year old self in 1996 got the chance to play the 2014 Tomb Raider DE on PS4 right after playing the 1996 original Tomb Raider on PS1.... I would have shit myself.

That said, obviously not every current game is great or even good. I still prefer any given Genesis or even Game Gear Sonic game to any Sonic game made in the last decade.

It's still a game by game basis for me but when you compare what's possible today versus even 15 years ago, there are massive differences. It makes me a bit sad to see how much bitching is done about today's games as it's obvious how much is taken for granted.

I sort of agree with this. There are some really shitty games getting released these days, and there are some awesome games released decades ago that still hold up well today. But OVERALL, I think that games are generally getting better.

And really, that's kind of what you'd expect. I mean, The Wizard of Oz (movie, 1939) is getting close to 80 years old and it's still a much cherished classic. But go take EVERY feature length film released in the 1930's, and compare it to EVERY feature length film released in this decade. Chances are, you're gonna find more greats in the current decade.

And that's not surprising. Rarely is it the case that the earlier pioneers of an art form got everything right, and then for the next several decades everyone just sucks at it (not accounting for things such as lack of technological capacity). People who came along later build their works on the backs of those who came along before. With the benefit of hindsight, today's artists have decades of art to study and analyze in order to see what worked and what didn't work. It's arguable that most modern games aren't as good as the best of the old school NES games. But is the AVERAGE modern game better than the AVERAGE game released back during the time of the NES? I'd say, "hell yes."

wiouds

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 wiouds
Member since 2004 • 6233 Posts

Some game types have improved over the years like FPS. Many are being innovative like each of the new CoD.

Other game types have fallen down some much. Look at the WRPG and how they are mostly now just a show and they are really another game type like how Fallout 4 is more of a open world shooter like Farcry 2+.

NeoPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 NeoPrime
Member since 2016 • 287 Posts

Because like all art, its subjective. However, a lot of people mistakenly confuse old games for being good because they are blinded by nostalgia.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

I've been gaming a long time and I feel that a lot of the newer stuff is better than the old. New Super Mario Bros. U is better designed and has far more content and challenge on offer than Super Mario World for the SNES. However, for its time, Super Mario World was a much more original and exciting game. I think that's a key element here.

Super Mario 64 was revolutionary in an incredible number of ways back in the mid 90s, but play it now and it feels almost broken. Games build off of what came before it. Newer games might not feel as revolutionary, but on pen and paper they are better in a lot cases.

That being said, games like A Link to the Past and Super Metroid are clearly masterclasses in design and it's still easy to fight for them as the best in their series regardless of time.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#13 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

Mechanically and visually speaking, most new stuff is hands down better, no questions asked. Outside of that, it' personal taste

Nicholas_games

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Nicholas_games
Member since 2015 • 18 Posts

@mark1974: yes because most people judge games by fps witch is stupid

Employee427

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Employee427
Member since 2016 • 489 Posts

I think New Super Mario Bros Wii and DS are better than World.

BattleStreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#16  Edited By BattleStreak
Member since 2016 • 1763 Posts

It's all a matter of opinion. You can't really compare graphics, performance, etc. because technology has evolved so much over the years. It's impossible to compare. Personally, I like the newer games being released much better than some of the much older games. It's just a matter of opinion.

I also think that people are blinded by nostalgia way too much. Some of the older games that people praise, really, truly, weren't that great at all.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Because they don't know better. Either they are new gamers or are easily impressed by flashy graphics.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#18 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

I think I see more people complaining that new games aren't as good as "back in the day" then I do the other way around. Regardless, I think it's the "hip" thing now, to invest in a side, without really considering things objectively.

IMO, there's a lot of junk now, but there was tons of junk back in the day too. Like, dumptrucks full of shovelware. The funding and marketing landscape has certainly changed, and encourages certain types of development and products to survive over others, but I strongly believe NOW isn't really "Better" or "Worse" than THEN was. I found plenty to love back in the day, and I still play a lot of those titles, and I have no problem finding something great to play now either