Why do people have to buy a console when it first comes out?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

psx2514

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 psx2514
Member since 2008 • 425 Posts

1. The first edition of a console always has issues.

2. The price will eventually go down. (Why buy a console at $500 when you can just wait a year or so, and get it for a few hundred dollars less?)

3. There will be a larger library of games, and the games that have been out for a while will be available at a lower price.

Experienced gamers should especially should know this.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#2 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Because if nobody bought a system at launch, it wouldn't survive long enough to become worth owning.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#3 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

If everyone waits for a new video game console to receive a price drop, the price may actually rise because no one would be buying that console and so it would be an unsuccessful console. The only places people would find them would be on eBay when one of those consoles is hypothetically discontinued and it becomes a collector's item because of its rarity. Any sort of library would not be worth the cost of those consoles if they lack support.

Face it. People buying video game consoles at launch are most likely why other people get to buy them at reduced prices and they are why game libraries increase in content.

Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

Because they want to?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#5  Edited By Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44163 Posts

Because they want to play the games that are available on it when it first comes out. I really don't get why people question this as the answer seems blatantly obvious. If someone prefers to wait for cheaper prices that's fine but certainly not everyone is going to want to do that and there's nothing wrong with that either.

ZZoMBiE13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#6 ZZoMBiE13
Member since 2002 • 22934 Posts

@psx2514 said:

1. The first edition of a console always has issues. For every one that breaks, many many more don't. With the exception of the notorious RRoD, obviously.

2. The price will eventually go down. (Why buy a console at $500 when you can just wait a year or so, and get it for a few hundred dollars less?) Because gamers like new kit.

3. There will be a larger library of games, and the games that have been out for a while will be available at a lower price. Why wait to play Dead Rising, when I can afford to play it today?

Some people are more dedicated to their hobby than others I guess.

Personally, I have never bought a console at launch up until this new crop of machines. For once, I didn't want to do the "smarter" thing and I just wanted a little indulgence in my favorite hobby. And I say that both had a pretty decent launch lineup, all things considered. Sure there was some shovelware, but there have been some really fun games too. There is a value to being part of the conversation while the new things are happening for some of us. I like chatting about the new features and games with other owners as well as playing them. That's part of the experience now. It may not be important for some, and I certainly wouldn't blame anyone who didn't jump in feet first to the initial offering. But I've been happy with my Xbox One and I'm sure if I ever get my PS4 hooked up, I'll dig that too. (Stupid busted HDMI port on my stupid old television... GAH!)

Why does a golfer buy the $2000 set of clubs when he can go to Wal-Mart and get a set for $500? Why does a film buff buy the latest format when it's just going to mean having to rebuy their movies on a new set of HDVDBRD discs for their 4K television? Why does a person buy music when they can steal it on P2P sites? Because some people are serious hobbyists and it brings them joy. It's really no deeper than that.

SoNin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 328

User Lists: 3

#7 SoNin360
Member since 2008 • 7175 Posts

1. The new consoles seem to be doing fairly well in terms of failure rates as far as I'm aware.

2. I don't see either the PS4 or XB1 dropping in price anytime soon. Maybe the XB1 will drop in price sooner, but the PS4 at $400 is already a great price considering what the PS3 launched at.

3. True, but for some people it's just not worth waiting. They want to upgrade now and enjoy it all from day one. Nothing wrong with that.

Personally, I'm one to wait a while, but I don't think I'll be waiting that long this time around.

yngsten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 yngsten
Member since 2011 • 463 Posts

1. They want the latest console

2. They can afford the latest console

Jaysonguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#9  Edited By Jaysonguy
Member since 2006 • 39454 Posts

@psx2514 said:

2. The price will eventually go down. (Why buy a console at $500 when you can just wait a year or so, and get it for a few hundred dollars less?)

3. There will be a larger library of games, and the games that have been out for a while will be available at a lower price.

Worst list ever

1. False

2. Hundreds? False

3. They'll be old by then, newer games will be worth playing that will be full price

Seriously, worst list ever for when to buy a console

Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Because they want to, that's why.

Is this really thread worthy? Why do you care what other people do? How does it actually effect you personally?

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#11  Edited By sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

Because I want to that's why.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I preordered and bought a PS4 day one, not because I wanted it, but instead to send a big "**** you" to Microsoft. I spoke loudly with my wallet, and it worked. Well, at least until MS starts segwaying their DRM into their games in the near future.

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#13 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Because each individual makes their own cost/benefit analysis. A lot of people are excited enough about the new consoles to buy one at launch, while others will wait a year or two. Others won't get a PS4 or Xbox One until the PS5's and Xbox Two's have been out for a year or two.

luke1889

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By luke1889
Member since 2004 • 14617 Posts

I love being an early adopter. Heck, console launches come round so infrequently, I'm happy to save up and take the plunge.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

I preordered and bought a PS4 day one, not because I wanted it, but instead to send a big "**** you" to Microsoft. I spoke loudly with my wallet, and it worked. Well, at least until MS starts segwaying their DRM into their games in the near future.

How did that work out for Microsoft? In theory I understand where you stand but in reality you won't get enough people to purchase a PS4 over the Xbox One causing MS to take notice.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#16 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

What is the smart thing to do?? Wait for a big game library where I can't afford all the games and a console, wait for a a price cut, wait everything to get sorted and what miss out on all the new kit. No my ps4 is running smoothly I've paid for my console I have 4 games and a load of free games it came out just before Christmas so I got games for Christmas and now I have time to finish my games before a big game comes out and I have enough time to save up, and I can slowly build my game library and have time to finish the games and it doesn't hurt my bank account instead of being back logged with games and end up at the end of the gen not even playing half the games I wanted.

-ParaNormaN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#17  Edited By -ParaNormaN-
Member since 2013 • 1573 Posts

The last console I bought at launch was the N64 and I have no regrets lol. The rest took me a while since I wasn't working or anything. When the 360 and PS3 hit and they had problems with the new hardware, I decided to be one of the people to wait for price drops and wait for a 2nd release of the console. Also older games are dirt cheap a lot of the time so, I can't complain about that. I'd get a new game at launch and pay full price if its something I like though, especially online games so I can play with my friends before the servers are shut down. How disappointed I was when I bought MGS4 and found the servers already closed lol.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#18 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@psx2514 said:

Because its great to be a part of the beginning and try something out as one of the first.

Like why people line up for the new iPhone, new movie, new music. etc.

And its worth it despite the problems if they even occur.

Shmiity

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#19 Shmiity
Member since 2006 • 6625 Posts

I'm not really one to buy launch electronics. I tend to buy stuff about year after they come out. I applaud early adopters... but I'm not one of them. Especially non-backwards compatible consoles.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

@Solaryellow said:

@MirkoS77 said:

How did that work out for Microsoft? In theory I understand where you stand but in reality you won't get enough people to purchase a PS4 over the Xbox One causing MS to take notice.

Microsoft was forced to do a 180 to the gamers' benefit. That they completely reversed their course on their DRM policies shows that MS has taken huge notice. Now, whether they'll remain true to their decision remains to be seen (I doubt it....they'll attempt to get DRM implemented again, albeit in a much more sly and insidious manner over time), but nevertheless all the massive PS4 preorders forced MS's hand to do what they did.

Avatar image for klonoafanboy122
klonoafanboy122

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21 klonoafanboy122
Member since 2013 • 232 Posts

its so they look hip and cool

they wanna have the latest console so they can show off to people that *oh i have the new ps4 now isnt it awesome*

i mean seirously im guilty for it 2 mind *i got 3ds in 2011 worst move i ever made* but i woudnt go around gloting about it

people buy the consoles on launch so they can gloat and have whats in right now

Evdne971

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Evdne971
Member since 2012 • 341 Posts

I'd have to agree, the more people but, the cheaper it'll get.

RimacBugatti

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 RimacBugatti
Member since 2013 • 1632 Posts

Well to wait 12 months for a $100 price drop would be like saying it's not worth entertaining myself for $8.50 per month. That's cheap entertainment. I'm sure you spend a lot more than that on your girlfriend who keeps cheating on you. Crunch the numbers and you will see that you may save money by spending it now. Saving can cost and spending can save.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

-Excitement

-People may be ready for something new

I think most of all people like to discuss what they think of the new tech with people that share common interests.

Solaryellow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Solaryellow
Member since 2013 • 7034 Posts

@MirkoS77 said:

Microsoft was forced to do a 180 to the gamers' benefit. That they completely reversed their course on their DRM policies shows that MS has taken huge notice. Now, whether they'll remain true to their decision remains to be seen (I doubt it....they'll attempt to get DRM implemented again, albeit in a much more sly and insidious manner over time), but nevertheless all the massive PS4 preorders forced MS's hand to do what they did.

People were still going to purchase an Xbox One console even knowing the shenanigans Microsoft was trying to pull. Pre-orders were strong and the actual sales numbers from the last month are quite nice. Of course the PS4 has sold more but the numbers put up for the X1 are not too shabby in the least. Ultimately if you want a company to take notice of your concerns you need a solid foundation of people boycotting the product. Microsoft can and most likely will do whatever it is they want (DRM) because the gamers have already bought the product and will continue buying it. I highly doubt we will see a scenario reminiscent of the Wii U (poor sales after launch) causing great concern and alarm out in Redmond.

nicecall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#26  Edited By nicecall
Member since 2013 • 528 Posts

i bought the original xbox cause i wanted to play Halo on it. but if it wasnt for that, i wouldn't have bought it.

But with the current consoles I didn't see any games on them i cared about so I won't buy them. Im sure the ps4 will eventually get some good stuff on it though. its kinda funny though, they released this batch of consoles with nothing at all worthy of playing on them.

Kevlar101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#27 Kevlar101
Member since 2011 • 6316 Posts

I still don't know if I am gonna be going with the Xbox One or the PS4 (most likely the PS4), but even so, I'm gonna wait a good year before getting either of them. I'm perfectly content with my 360 right now, and I still got a crap load of games i still need to play on it. Hell, I am still yet to lay a finger on Fallout 3 and NV.......