Why do I get bored and give up on games 3/4 of the way through?

• 59 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SemiMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 81

User Lists: 0

#51 SemiMaster
Member since 2006 • 19011 Posts

Sounds like you just have a short attention span. I really can't say anything other than that.

Also, I find myself not being able to quit a game until I beat it due to me paying 60 dollars or just a masochistic pride. Now if I quit a game in the middle never to pick it up again (I'm looking at you Golden Axe Beast Rider), then it must REALLY suck, and that's perfectly understandable.

Jason_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#52 Jason_A
Member since 2006 • 2121 Posts
[QUOTE="Naruto"][QUOTE="BoilingDrains"]You're playing boring games.Gammit10
Read his post again... He said " no matter how good the game". Anyways, you probably need to be rotating between a couple of games with different genres so that you don't get bored because of the repetitiveness of games.

This is what I do. I'll play 3-5 games at once, and then dive 100% into one, rinse, repeat.

Brilliant! That's what I need to do - play a few games at once and then get through to 100% on whichever one or ones keep my interest (plus maybe by then, if I go back to the ones that didn't keep my interest they will be interesting again and I can finish those to 100%). I think I will actually stick with my one game at a time deal but as soon as it starts getting boring, move on to another game and so on until one keeps my interest to completion.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#53 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I don't know about you, but for me it's what I call the Pleasure Point. Everything that a game does well creates pleasure. Everything else creates pain. Every game has a Pleasure Point where it crosses from being fun overall to painful overall. The 3/4 mark of a game is usually where it stops showing you new stuff. You've basically seen all the enemies, you've learned all the moves, you've grown accustomed to any technical feats, etc. At this point, gameplay is the sole thing that's creating pleasure. Everytime the game crashes, there's a glitch, some annoying gameplay mechanic comes up (backtracking can be a major one)... all of this starts bringing the pleasure point closer and closer. This happens to me all the time. It's rare for me to actually beat a game. Eventually i'm just like, "I've seen enough" and the the gameplay isn't enough to keep me playing nor is the story. The same thing happened to me with Fallout 3. I played the game for like 40 hours and enjoyed it but then it's like everything looks the same and you realize every quest is just go here, kill that. All of the little bugs and issues that you used to not care about now seem huge and it's like, "why am I playing this?" I think it's best to take a break. This is why I don't sell my games even if I dislike them. After a few weeks or months I can come back to these games fresh and be able to enjoy them the way that I used to. This is really helpful for RPGs. Bio-Ware is the only company that makes RPGs that I can complete over a steady amount of time. For everything else, I usually play the game 3/4 to 4/5 through get bored and put it down for like 3 months, then come back and beat it in like 2-3 hours.
Rekunta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#54 Rekunta
Member since 2002 • 8275 Posts

I have the same problem TC, except it's with books. Got a ton of 'em half finished on my shelves. Just vary it up like people said or take a break and don't play so often.

k_smoove

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#55 k_smoove
Member since 2006 • 11954 Posts

I've had this problem lately with Henry Hatsworth, FFCC: EoT, and Suikoden. It bothers me.

Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#56 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts

It just seems strange that I see so many people complaining about games being too short these days, yet there are people in this thread saying that games these days are too long. This puzzles me. :?

Angry_Beaver
That's because they want a forty hour game at the retail till, and a fifteen hour game when they get home and have a dozen or so quality unfinished titles.
stike22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 stike22
Member since 2009 • 3401 Posts
Too Long? last time I checked dead space could be completed in a day or two. Fallout 3 the main story a day or two. And I don't remember Uncharted being extremely long either. Its more the fact that the gameplay just bores you that or your just getting tired of games, whats your favorite genre of game?
Lanex09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#58 Lanex09
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
If I have several games on the go at once I find this happens to me - I play them all quite a lot, but dont finish them before getting bored or sidetracked. If I focus on just one game at a time I do enjoy them and complete themAvenger1324
This is my problem that I face. I recently purchased a cheap PS2 and about 30 games, and I find myself not been able to stick to one game, so I never actually complete a game. I even got my GF to pick me one game a day out of the collection, and am only allowed to play that game, and it helps because then you actually get into the game.
Killjolly280

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#59 Killjolly280
Member since 2009 • 27 Posts
I have the same problem I got to 3/4 through GTA IV, Bioshock, Oblivion, Resident Evil 5 and lots more. The only story driven games i have gotten through are Call of Duty 4, Call of Duty 5 and Halo 3, but they're all really short. I seem to be abl to complete racing games easiest!