Why are there so many Far Cry 2 haters?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

full_on_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

User Lists: 0

#1 full_on_gamer
Member since 2008 • 424 Posts

I dont get it. There are so many people that just hate Far Cry 2. I got it on tuesday for my b'day and its very good. OK it might not be up to CoD standards, but its a different style of FPS to CoD. S many people hate Far Cry 2, i dont get it :P

SavageM2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 SavageM2
Member since 2005 • 10800 Posts

I think most peoples "beef" with it is that it's repetitive after awhile. That and there isn't much character or story development. Plus, you have to drive a lot. You just got it so let it sink in and then make a decision. :lol:

With that being said, I love the game. I usually play in small doses. (though I do play it in larger doses as well)

MadVybz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#3 MadVybz
Member since 2009 • 2797 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/510-Far-Cry-2

StaticPenguin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 67

#4 StaticPenguin
Member since 2004 • 3433 Posts

I loved Far Cry 2.

mfp16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#5 mfp16
Member since 2006 • 4551 Posts
The constantly respawning enemies at the guard posts absolutely ruined the game for me. Considering you have to drive a massive amount and need to pass through those guard posts multiple times on the way to virtually every destination made it extremely repetitive. I didn't get more than 3 or so hours of the game before it seriously grated on my enjoyment, I just uninstalled it and moved on to another game.
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts
Well I don't mean to bash on the game but.. the 'open world' is boring. It's more like a maze of paths instead of a real free world. The world is not very big. I found the combat and setting to be boring. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I just got really bored of the game really fast, in about 3 hours or so. While it sure does some things good. :S
Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts
I don't hate it overall but it does get repetitive, the checkpoints are respawned incredibly fast, driving is practically suicide as you will never drive away from your enemies and the cars break down more often then any car I've ever been in. And I own a KIA.
Stats_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stats_
Member since 2009 • 2352 Posts

I guess 'cause it wasn't what we'd expected.

It was much less a sequel to Far Cry, and more a game inspired by Far rcy (If that makes sense)

Plus, it had several tedious game elements.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I love playing multiplayer on other people's user created maps.
Avatar image for DecadesOfGaming
DecadesOfGaming

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#10 DecadesOfGaming
Member since 2007 • 3100 Posts

After 20 hours I just lost interest.. Personally I think the developers should of stayed with the whole feral theme, it's what made the original quite unique.. I just got fed up with trailing from point A to point B (which was usually on the other side of the damn map.)

_Dez_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 _Dez_
Member since 2006 • 2398 Posts

I hear it's the constant respawning of enemies that put a lot of people off from the game. Maybe the devs didn't want too much down time between missions and make the player bored, but they didn't find the right balance with putting too many enemies.

King9999

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 44

#12 King9999
Member since 2002 • 11837 Posts

Far Cry 2 solidified what I was feeling about sandbox games: I can't get into them.

NBSRDan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#13 NBSRDan
Member since 2009 • 1320 Posts
Because Far Cry 2 is a terrible game. Or maybe it's just random chance.
DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
Parts of the game are a lot of fun. There are also a lot of little issues that become very annoying after a while: -respawning guard posts -dialogue that's been speed up about three times normal -malaria 'effects' -enemies absorb about two dozen bullets each and can take about five direct shots to the head on hard difficulty before falling over -every mission is exactly the same -driving everywhere gets really, really old
PetJel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PetJel
Member since 2009 • 3725 Posts

Far Cry 2 solidified what I was feeling about sandbox games: I can't get into them.

King9999

FC2 ìs a bad example of a sandbox game, sorry.

Avatar image for masterpinky2000
masterpinky2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 95

#16 masterpinky2000
Member since 2004 • 1955 Posts
I really enjoyed the game, and feel like it was one of those "almost, but not quite" games. It could have been one of the best shooters of all time with slight refinements, less of those annoying enemy respawns, better navigation (the pull-out map was cool, but annoying to have it out and driving at the same time). It also needed more mission objectives, more variation. I think the storyline in particular was quite provocative, and was more "realistic" in the sense that the issues it presented were actually real-world problems common to many African nations with unstable governments and factional in-fighting among various warlords.
Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#17 Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts
I'm angry at that game, because if it had a real story it would have been amazing, instead we get that pseudo-sandbox grindfest. The AI is stupid, it has nothing to do with FarCry, there's almost no animals in its virtual savannah, enemies respawn too often and the difficulty is uneven. Still, it's one of the best looking games on any console and the gunplay is hectic and satisfying (although the sniping is lame). Lots of weapons, great immersion, fire effects are fantastic and explosions are the best ever seen in a videogame. A mixed bag: trying to complete it 100% is a terrible chore, but breezing through the "campaign" cuts most of the boring aspects. Multiplayer is decent too, though more open maps would have been an obvious choice, but weren't...
dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#18 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
CRYSIS is one reason, the other one is that its way too diffirent from what fps you have ever played.
Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

The reason why I hate it is because you can see the framework of a REALLY good game there, good engine, good premise, stabile.

But it quickly becomes aperrent that they completely dropped the ball when it came to gameplay. As someone else mentioned, the constantly respawning outposts (respawns whenever youre about 150 meters away from it), the endless borring driving in that maze that is anything but openworld.

The backwards reason why when you work for factions they still see you as an enemy.

Needing to repeat the same darn assignment 20-30 times just to get some decent weapons (you know that godaweful weapons transport)

And the fact that there really just is 4-5 mission in the entire game that just runs over and over, is enough to kill my liking for this game. Which is a shame they really had such a great idea for this game...

I think most people hate it because of what it COULD have been.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 dakan45
...same thing they did with assasin creed if you ask me, you dont need to do the truck missions to get better weapons, you get new ones at the end of every chapter.
full_on_gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 full_on_gamer
Member since 2008 • 424 Posts

I love playing multiplayer on other people's user created maps.Ghost_702

I love online. i think online is as good as if not better than CoD (it could just do with more game modes). Personally I prefer online to story mode, ithas more action, and as most people saystory modeis repetitive. I only got this cheap so cannot complain! I love online though!!!

Zensword

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Zensword
Member since 2007 • 4510 Posts

I dont get it. There are so many people that just hate Far Cry 2. I got it on tuesday for my b'day and its very good. OK it might not be up to CoD standards, but its a different style of FPS to CoD. S many people hate Far Cry 2, i dont get it :P

full_on_gamer

Not me. I even prefer it over COD4 and Halo 3, BioShock.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

Some parts of the game I enjoyed, others not so much. I enjoyed the visuals probabaly the most, the game looks amazing on very high or ultra high or whatever and runs extremely well. I thought it had a pretty decent selection of weapons as well.

However the gameplay didn't really appeal to me. The checkpoints seemed to take any fun out of it. That and the enemies with cars faster than you no matter what. The ai in combat was pretty annoying: you're up in a hill side, completely obscured from view, you take one shot with a sniper rifle to down a guy, he lives then 30 guys open up on you in an instant.

MarcusAntonius

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 MarcusAntonius
Member since 2004 • 15667 Posts

It fared poorly due to Crytek not being involved with it. When I found out about that, it was little wonder why the game turned up mediocre.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Business_Fun
Member since 2009 • 2282 Posts

I picked this up a few weeks ago and I'm thoroughly enjoying it. The world and the setting are great, and I'm loving the buddy system (there's just something about dodging AK rounds in the jungle that forges a special bond between two people). Making your way around can be a bit confusing at first but for me exploration is half the fun in this game. Respawning checkpoints can be a bit annoying, sure, but with a little canny use of your map you can usually find a way to bypass them.

At the end of the day, there's something supremely satisfying about taking out an arms convoy with a carefully-placed IED before jumping into your buggy and roaring off into the African dawn :)

DPhunkT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 DPhunkT
Member since 2008 • 1803 Posts
The multiplayer is complete garbage. It had potential.
Hahadouken

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Hahadouken
Member since 2009 • 5546 Posts
I HATE it. I can't even tell you how much I hate it, but hey, I'll try. It has NOTHING to do with the original game. It should not have been called Far Cry. The AI is horrible. The enemies immediately know where you are and fire high percentage shots at you, regardless of how unrealistic it is. The map is huge and empty, all your objectives are ALWAYS across the entire map, the enemies at all the check stops respawn. Your friends serve almost no purpose except to occasionally pop in out of NOWHERE and save your ass. The voice acting is all stilted and rushed. The whole game feels like it was similarly rushed to come out for Christmas. I was so disappointed in that game. It's probably my biggest disappointment this gen.
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
Because it didn't feel like Far Cry 1. It's pretty, but the lack of Surround Sound on PC, as well as the boring missions made me put it down after I made it half way through. Searching for diamonds to upgrade your gear = boring. Plus, the stealth options were lacking... a major draw for the first game in the seires. I loved Far Cry 1... it had a fun story and the missions were exciting. Far Cry 2 was like Blood Diamond the game. Crysis, not FC2, was the true sucessor to Far Cry.
Xenrathe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#29 Xenrathe
Member since 2005 • 80 Posts
I didn't like it for many of the reasons people have already listed, but my #1 dislike is the AI. I beat Far Cry 1 on the hardest difficulty, and it remains one of my favorite FPS experiences. Probably my very favorite. I remember crouching through dense foliage, picking off enemy patrols one at a time. Using non-silenced weapons to pull them into an exposed kill zone. Shooting through the wooden floorboards of guard towers to take out the guards above. The incredible AI, which blew away anything I'd ever seen before, made it incredibly fun. In Far Cry 2, I'd be walking through super dense forest and suddenly be getting shot by all sorts of people who couldn't even see me. Total lack of AI, made it very irritating to play. Also, as someone mentioned, enemies getting shot like nine teams in the head before they would fall. In FPS games, I expect increased difficulty to mean more than just ramping up their health to silly levels.
Avatar image for MetroidPrimePwn
MetroidPrimePwn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 MetroidPrimePwn
Member since 2007 • 12399 Posts

I didn't like it much, but I didn't like it any less than I liked, say, Call of Duty 4.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 dakan45
I HATE it. I can't even tell you how much I hate it, but hey, I'll try. It has NOTHING to do with the original game. It should not have been called Far Cry. The AI is horrible. The enemies immediately know where you are and fire high percentage shots at you, regardless of how unrealistic it is. The map is huge and empty, all your objectives are ALWAYS across the entire map, the enemies at all the check stops respawn. Your friends serve almost no purpose except to occasionally pop in out of NOWHERE and save your ass. The voice acting is all stilted and rushed. The whole game feels like it was similarly rushed to come out for Christmas. I was so disappointed in that game. It's probably my biggest disappointment this gen. Hahadouken
Lol, troll is obvious i can spot many false claims. ..
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Black_Knight_00
[QUOTE="Hahadouken"]I HATE it. I can't even tell you how much I hate it, but hey, I'll try. It has NOTHING to do with the original game. It should not have been called Far Cry. The AI is horrible. The enemies immediately know where you are and fire high percentage shots at you, regardless of how unrealistic it is. The map is huge and empty, all your objectives are ALWAYS across the entire map, the enemies at all the check stops respawn. Your friends serve almost no purpose except to occasionally pop in out of NOWHERE and save your ass. The voice acting is all stilted and rushed. The whole game feels like it was similarly rushed to come out for Christmas. I was so disappointed in that game. It's probably my biggest disappointment this gen. dakan45

Actually he's got a point. Aside from the missions and occasional diamond scavenging, there's nothing to do on the gigantic map. The buddies have no purpose other than patching you up when you die and getting pinned down like noobs. Respawning checkpoints are just plain bad game design: why can't I stop, show them my ID and leave? It happens in the intro, why not in the game? They should call them 'murder points'. Why is there nobody traveling on the roads, apart from some mercs patrols looking to scalp you? Why must I drive for 10 minutes every mission? I don't think Hahadouken is trolling, just stating his (radical) opinion. Where I disagree with him is: I think it can still be still an enjoyable game, but, yes, it fell shorter than it should have.
CaptRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CaptRex
Member since 2009 • 199 Posts

I love it either.. ^^ because those players just following the flow..

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Business_Fun

[QUOTE="dakan45"][QUOTE="Hahadouken"]I HATE it. I can't even tell you how much I hate it, but hey, I'll try. It has NOTHING to do with the original game. It should not have been called Far Cry. The AI is horrible. The enemies immediately know where you are and fire high percentage shots at you, regardless of how unrealistic it is. The map is huge and empty, all your objectives are ALWAYS across the entire map, the enemies at all the check stops respawn. Your friends serve almost no purpose except to occasionally pop in out of NOWHERE and save your ass. The voice acting is all stilted and rushed. The whole game feels like it was similarly rushed to come out for Christmas. I was so disappointed in that game. It's probably my biggest disappointment this gen. Black_Knight_00

Actually he's got a point. Aside from the missions and occasional diamond scavenging, there's nothing to do on the gigantic map. The buddies have no purpose other than patching you up when you die and getting pinned down like noobs. Respawning checkpoints are just plain bad game design: why can't I stop, show them my ID and leave? It happens in the intro, why not in the game? They should call them 'murder points'. Why is there nobody traveling on the roads, apart from some mercs patrols looking to scalp you? Why must I drive for 10 minutes every mission? I don't think Hahadouken is trolling, just stating his (radical) opinion. Where I disagree with him is: I think it can still be still an enjoyable game, but, yes, it fell shorter than it should have.

I think the idea is that, as a deniable asset doing jobs off the books, you're totally on your own except for whatever buddies you can get to watch your back. Regardless of what faction you've currently thrown in your lot with, to the average merc you're just another punk with a gun and will be opened up on as such. As to the lack of people on the roads - the country has been torn apart by civil war and anyone who's able to has fled. The unlucky suckers left behind are stuck in hiding, waiting for their opportunity to similarly hightail it.

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Black_Knight_00

As to the lack of people on the roads - the country has been torn apart by civil war and anyone who's able to has fled. The unlucky suckers left behind are stuck in hiding, waiting for their opportunity to similarly hightail it.

Business_Fun

Which is fine plot-wise (although it doesn't explain the lack of wildlife), but from a gameplay point of view, it's extremely boring to traverse the map with nothing happening. I think this hides some unresolved technical difficulty regarding stability of framerate. We'll never know.

Business_Fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Business_Fun

[QUOTE="Business_Fun"]As to the lack of people on the roads - the country has been torn apart by civil war and anyone who's able to has fled. The unlucky suckers left behind are stuck in hiding, waiting for their opportunity to similarly hightail it.

Black_Knight_00

Which is fine plot-wise (although it doesn't explain the lack of wildlife), but from a gameplay point of view, it's extremely boring to traverse the map with nothing happening. I think this hides some unresolved technical difficulty regarding stability of framerate. We'll never know.

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind some more animal life either, particularly under water. Give me fishes! Give me crocs! Hippos, even!

Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Black_Knight_00

Fair enough. I wouldn't mind some more animal life either, particularly under water. Give me fishes! Give me crocs! Hippos, even!

Business_Fun

When it comes to Africa, the first thing I expect to see are elephants, rhinos and giraffes. Also, yes, the rivers should be filled with dangerous creatures like crocs and water snakes. Instead we got a beautiful but lifeless savanna with just a few zebras that will jump in front of your car cause they can't stand the loneliness anymore. Pity.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 dakan45
You are alone because you work undercover. The buddies will save your life when you fall down and add up into an amazing plot twist in the end. There you go thats the story. There is no one on the road because during the conflist everyone is hiding or the mercs are gonna slaughter them. The driving is lng beause the size of the maps is real unlike that other game stalker. The enemies respawn so the game can balance its long driving with some shooting on the way.
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Black_Knight_00
You are alone because you work undercover. The buddies will save your life when you fall down and add up into an amazing plot twist in the end. There you go thats the story. There is no one on the road because during the conflist everyone is hiding or the mercs are gonna slaughter them. The driving is lng beause the size of the maps is real unlike that other game stalker. The enemies respawn so the game can balance its long driving with some shooting on the way.dakan45
While these are all the right reasons, the result is the game ends up being boring or frustrating for many, so even if they make sense from a logic point of view, they qualify as dubious design choices. Again: I liked the game, but I see where the criticism is coming from.
jackyjee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 jackyjee
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
ubisoft game farcry is a thriller action game ... the point that too many gammers hate is because of some reasons .. first of all we have to drive a lot in the game to complete the missions .. secomdly the ammo and guns are not so good as compared to other pc games ... although while playin the game the person may bore if he dont know how to really play the game .... and i think thats is the reason that prople get bore of these things and dont like farcry 2 ........
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#41 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

http://www.escapistmagazine.com/videos/view/zero-punctuation/510-Far-Cry-2

MadVybz
That pretty much sums it up.
soulfinger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 soulfinger
Member since 2003 • 690 Posts

ubisoft game farcry is a thriller action game ... the point that too many gammers hate is because of some reasons .. first of all we have to drive a lot in the game to complete the missions .. secomdly the ammo and guns are not so good as compared to other pc games ... although while playin the game the person may bore if he dont know how to really play the game .... and i think thats is the reason that prople get bore of these things and dont like farcry 2 ........jackyjee

Well I managed to complete 51% of the game before I gave up. You summed it up for me especially the driving bits of the game. I also found some of the mission to similar and like many just got bored with it.

the-wayward

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 the-wayward
Member since 2009 • 732 Posts

it has a serious lack of imagenation .......

and also very repeatitive .....

and the environment are always the same ......

and there's nothingworth wasting time traveling to discovering in all these african-likescapes......

eldonkhaled

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 eldonkhaled
Member since 2009 • 47 Posts

I also don't get it .

I think it's a great game and i noticed that many people say that FARCRY 2 is a disaster ...

one of them says that FC2 is the biggest failure for Ubisoft .

But , I find it a very fantastic game .

Morphic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#45 Morphic
Member since 2003 • 4345 Posts

I enjoyed it. I liked the RPG ish elements. Was fun.

gamer_96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#46 gamer_96
Member since 2009 • 589 Posts

A bit a boring but very good game.

krazy-blazer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#47 krazy-blazer
Member since 2009 • 1759 Posts
Because point A To Point B, A To B man.
mtgm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 mtgm
Member since 2009 • 37 Posts

They love first Far Cry and then they were dissapointing...

ViewtifulScott

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 ViewtifulScott
Member since 2005 • 878 Posts
Because just like the console versions of the first Farcry before it, it was a fundamentally broken game that was grossly overrated by gaming "journalists".
Arach666

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

#50 Arach666
Member since 2009 • 23285 Posts

Because just like the console versions of the first Farcry before it, it was a fundamentally broken game that was grossly overrated by gaming "journalists".ViewtifulScott
Couldn´t have said it better meself.