Why are people tired of Call of Duty?

• 82 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

crazyguy111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 crazyguy111
Member since 2013 • 406 Posts
People say they want more God of war,Mario, Zelda , and Halo but how come people are so tired of COD? I just don't get it.
Hseptic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Hseptic
Member since 2003 • 1566 Posts
I honestly don't know why. Perhaps they hate on it because it sells and is so popular.
Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#3 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts
People say they want more God of war,Mario, Zelda , and Halo but how come people are so tired of COD? I just don't get it. crazyguy111
the majority are not tired of Call of Dogs despite it being a terrible game.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#4 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts
It's the same goddamn game with a little prettier graphics and engines and an excuse for a campaign
marcheegsr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 marcheegsr
Member since 2004 • 3115 Posts

I don't mind the campaign aspect.

Im tired of the multiplayer. It is the same thing every year, and the online community sucks. Those are my thoughts.

Give me back Call of duty 2 online. The only one I enjoyed playing.

If I do buy ghosts, It will be for the single player. Im going to wait till I can get it cheaper.

1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#6 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts
People say they want more God of war,Mario, Zelda , and Halo but how come people are so tired of COD? I just don't get it. crazyguy111
None of the games you listed come with the same megalomaniacal marketing and omnipresent social buzz that Call of Duty brings on a yearly basis. Plus, I don't know if you've noticed, but the latest games in most of the franchises listed actually sold less than other games in their respective series. Not as many people are asking for sequels to those series as you think.
Gargus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Gargus
Member since 2006 • 2147 Posts

Because its the cool thing to do on the internet.

See if you want to seem hip, savvy and cynical infront of other games online then you bash COD. Its all just talk because you see every game on game sites everywhere bash COD for years now but for instance when BOPS2 came out it sold like a billion dollars worth literally in 2 weeks, so if everyone hates the game so much why did it sell like 16 million copies in 2 weeks and even games far back as WAW still have a very active online community? Because everyone is full of shit and wants to be on the bandwagon of saying they hate COD but then they turn around and buy it because they dont want to miss being on the bandwagon of playing COD online.

worlock77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 worlock77
Member since 2009 • 22552 Posts

Because people don't realize that they can ignore things they don't like.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#9 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

I think it's because when you are the top dog, people just hate you.  

Call of Duty isn't the best game series out, but it is the most popular.  In the same way that EA isn't the best company but it's the most popular or that Lil Wayne isn't the best rapper but he's the most popular.

In the end, there's a good reason that Call of Duty is on top.  After 3 solid releases: MW1, WAW, MW2, they deserved a lot of praise.  But then the series started to get stale.

Like with Zelda for instance, games aren't released nearly as often so it's not milked as much.

Michael0134567

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#10 Michael0134567
Member since 2008 • 28651 Posts

I dunno, but I'm not getting tired of it.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 The_Last_Ride

See if you want to seem hip, savvy and cynical infront of other games online then you bash COD. Its all just talk because you see every game on game sites everywhere bash COD for years now but for instance when BOPS2 came out it sold like a billion dollars worth literally in 2 weeks, so if everyone hates the game so much why did it sell like 16 million copies in 2 weeks and even games far back as WAW still have a very active online community? Because everyone is full of shit and wants to be on the bandwagon of saying they hate COD but then they turn around and buy it because they dont want to miss being on the bandwagon of playing COD online.

Gargus
Do you know why people buy games like FIFA and COD? Because all causal gamers buy them because they get a few game each year and want to play it for a long time. Why not play what their friends are playing? Hardcore gamers(most of them) loathe those games because they lack any originality or vision and add nothing AT ALL. Just look at the Xbox One reveal. People did not care about COD at all. It's got dogs, arm hair and moving fish. What else is new in the new one. Multiplayer? With perks and loads of weapons? Nonstop action singleplayer? Next game after this one will have zombies?. They have good reason if you ask me. I played the heck out of MW 4 and MW2. But it was just the same, so i am not one of those that hate for no reason. I have even played BOPS 1 and 2 and there were no significant changes whatsoever
Zuzuvela

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Zuzuvela
Member since 2013 • 1993 Posts
Because its yearly...yearly franchises are the ones that tend to suffer from franchise fatigue
IndianaPwns39

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#13 IndianaPwns39
Member since 2008 • 5037 Posts

Because its yearly...yearly franchises are the ones that tend to suffer from franchise fatigueZuzuvela

This.

It's the same reason you have all the people crying out to stop AC with ACIV, saying that it's more of the same. Yet, ACIV looks very different from the other titles.

I don't necessarily hate CoD but I find that the MP (the main attraction) hasn't changed significantly enough to hold my attention. Though I did like Blops 2 for offering a mode that didn't focus on unlocks and level ups, and instead rated you only on wins. That made the game much more enjoyable to me.

firefox59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 firefox59
Member since 2005 • 4530 Posts

I really can't take a post like this seriuosly. Have you even played the last few COD games. Hard to dsitinguish between 'em huh?

pawq4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 pawq4
Member since 2013 • 448 Posts

Because its yearly...yearly franchises are the ones that tend to suffer from franchise fatigueZuzuvela

This is exactly the problem. A lot of people, including myself, feel the same way about Assassin's Creed. Halo, Mario, Zelda, Gears, etc. don't release a main entry every year like COD. Plus the majority of people that play COD are either kids or douchebag bro gamers.

Moriarity_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Moriarity_
Member since 2011 • 1332 Posts
I got tired of it after I realized that each sequel was just a $60 expansion pack(which was after I borrowed Modern Warfare 2 from a friend).
Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#17 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

I personally think that the fact that it's so popular hurts the industry in terms of creativity... If all people are going to buy is linear FPS's then why make anything else?

SexyJazzCat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 SexyJazzCat
Member since 2013 • 2796 Posts

Because each iteration is pretty much the same. I'm not going to buy the same game over and over again. 

Pffrbt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Pffrbt
Member since 2010 • 6612 Posts

I don't care about Call of Duty. I don't even care that it's popular. What I hate is other games and entire franchises being homogenized and focus tested to death in some cynical attempt to chase after the Call of Duty audience.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#20 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
It's easier to get franchise fatigue from games that are annual releases than games from the same series which come out (usually) years apart.
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#21 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

i'm tired of cod.

I-AM-N00B

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#22 I-AM-N00B
Member since 2012 • 470 Posts

I don't know because CoD is the pinnacle of online gaming for me, the fun, thrills and fast-paced action are second to none! This franchise changed the way I viewed games forever!

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 MonoSilver
Member since 2013 • 1392 Posts

Gargus
The CoD series are made for the lowest common denominator. They're the equivalent of a stupid, big budget action film just full of explosions and no plot. You're obviously a slave to Activision so I doubt you'd understand anyway.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

[QUOTE="Gargus"]

MonoSilver

The CoD series are made for the lowest common denominator. They're the equivalent of a stupid, big budget action film just full of explosions and no plot. You're obviously a slave to Activision so I doubt you'd understand anyway.

This is dumb criticism (to stay polite). Name me one "smart", or deep, game franchise that sells millions of copies with each iteration.

The examples in the OP are God of War, Zelda, Halo and Mario. Are you really implying that those franchises are smart, deep, thought-provoking?

Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#25 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts

1 - Very little variation between titles: Not the most fair of arguments, but it's also caused by the fact that there's a new Call of Duty every year. It's the "Madden" of shooters.

2 - The world's worst community: 12 year olds screaming into their mic about Justin Bieber is never fun. Then, you have the obnoxious money-hungry commentators that treat COD like their own reality show (drama and all that - why would anyone care, and it's probably just a ploy to get more views). There are a few good commentators, but most make my ears bleed. Finally, you have the 'professional' trolls that think a video that consists of them playing the trolololol song over and over again is funny. Oh wow, you really got them (sarcasm)! I have yet to find a more obnoxious community.

3 - It's popular: Not exactly a valid reason to hate it, but trendy things are more heavily scrutinized.

4 - copycatting devs: A lot of devs, seeing the success of COD, altered their game mechanics to be like COD. Many of these changes didn't fit into these games or were poorly done, leaving gamers bitter.

Alpha_S_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Alpha_S_
Member since 2007 • 395 Posts

I think the question should be "why aren't more people tired of Call of Duty?"  Its sales haven't really slowded down so with the same people buying it year after year they can't be too tired of it.  It's essentially the same thing year after year and there are so many other FPS too that pretty much offer the same stuff, some better than CoD.  I myself haven't bothered with the series since Modern Warfare 2.  

Areez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Areez
Member since 2002 • 6278 Posts

Perhaps by virtue of it being a paraody of itself now.

MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 MonoSilver

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"][QUOTE="Gargus"]

ReddestSkies

This is dumb criticism (to stay polite). Name me one "smart", or deep, game franchise that sells millions of copies with each iteration.

The examples in the OP are God of War, Zelda, Halo and Mario. Are you really implying that those franchises are smart, deep, thought-provoking?

Way to go, trying to put words in my mouth.

The CoD games sell well because they're made for everyone, mainly the adolescent crowd who think all games should just be a bromance filled, manly pursuit of online gaming only. That is sadly what the majority of gamers want.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#29 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"][QUOTE="Gargus"]

ReddestSkies

Or maybe the reason CoD sells so much is because it is dumb, therefor much more accessible and easy to get good at.

Although people who act like CoD has truly mindless gameplay are wrong. I don't care much for the series but it's not like guns blazing always works.  But if a game tries to be "smart" then chances are it won't be for everyone since it will require more thought than the average game.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts
Probably because they don't do play the multi-player. If you just play the campaign mode a yearly installment is a bit too much of a good thing.
ReddestSkies

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ReddestSkies
Member since 2005 • 4087 Posts

The CoD games sell well because they're made for everyone, mainly the adolescent crowd who think all games should just be a bromance filled, manly pursuit of online gaming only. That is sadly what the majority of gamers want.

MonoSilver

Dumb criticism again (trying really hard to stay polite). You're gonna have to explain how you can equate "the adolescent crowd who think all games should just be a bromance filled, manly pursuit of online gaming only" with "everyone". You're also going to have to explain what's so bad about making games for "everyone", and what is it about COD that makes it "for everyone" as opposed to, say, Mario, God of War, Zelda and Halo (the franchises named in the  OP).

bl00dline954

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 bl00dline954
Member since 2013 • 140 Posts
I'll start by saying I am a huge Call Of Duty fan but am not blind enough to agree with a lot of the complaints and reasons why people are tired of COD. The campaigns are fun but I think they could be longer. The multiplayer is fun but gets very repetitive. I like the new score streak vs kill streak idea. I also like the new perks and attachments Black Ops 2 has brought to make things a bit refreshing but in the end, after a while, even with new map packs, it does get boring at times. But I will also agree with a comment someone made earlier, I don't like to buy a bunch of games so I like when I can buy one game and play it for a long time and enjoy it. Plus, I like games that I can play with my friends and all of the Call of Duty games are the only ones, other than Burnout Paradise, that I really have played online with friends.
MonoSilver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 MonoSilver

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"]

ReddestSkies

Dumb criticism again (trying really hard to stay polite). You're gonna have to explain how you can equate "the adolescent crowd who think all games should just be a bromance filled, manly pursuit of online gaming only" with "everyone". You're also going to have to explain what's so bad about making games for "everyone", and what is it about COD that makes it "for everyone" as opposed to, say, Mario, God of War, Zelda and Halo (the franchises named in the  OP).

No actually I'm not going to have to explain anything to you. I'm not going to be dragged into an endless, rambling argument about why the CoD series is so crap.
Avatar image for experience_fade
experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 experience_fade
Member since 2012 • 347 Posts

[QUOTE="ReddestSkies"]

[QUOTE="MonoSilver"]

MonoSilver

No actually I'm not going to have to explain anything to you. I'm not going to be dragged into an endless, rambling argument about why the CoD series is so crap.

Jealousy is an evil thing.

Anything that does the best (sales wise) gets hated on by forum communities. CoD is the best selling franchise, so naturally, haters flock to it more, throwing every insult they can come up with to help ease the reality that their favorite games/franchises aren't loved/played by as many people.

CoD is successful because their gameplay is fun, and they create an endless amount of unlocks/rewards through leveling up and style of play. It added a touch of RPG to FPS' before any other franchise did, all while making their gameplay fun, tight, and addicting. The 60 frames per second also helps in a major way.

And to end it prematurely, I'm not a CoD fanboy. CoD isn't my favorite franchise, but anything that sells that well in a gaming industry littered by piracy is impressive. They're doing something right, and with sales numbers that high, it's not any particular demographic that primarily plays it.

To summarize: grow up.

TheGrinchh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 TheGrinchh
Member since 2013 • 254 Posts

Gargus
this ^ I don't LOVEE CoD, but I do enjoy it here and there. I hate the hardcore CoD fanboys that get on you're crap for "camping" if you're standing still or literally a millisecond, or get called a f** for not "quickscoping" with sniper. The community is a bunch of d***weed for sure.
gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#37 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

Because it's a video game manifestation of everything wrong in the industry. 

Because it's a war glorifying piece of shit.ClassyDawg

I agree.

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 experience_fade

[QUOTE="ClassyDawg"]Because it's a war glorifying piece of shit.gamingqueen

I agree.

I love this comment. Black Ops 2 has around 25 million sales. They don't force anyone to buy their game, so then, by saying its a manifestation of everything wrong in the industry, you're saying 25 million gamers are the manifestation of everything that's wrong in the industry.

Also, hundreds of games exploit and glorify war/killing people. They don't sell 20 million+ every year. They don't even sell 5 million+.

gamingqueen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#39 gamingqueen
Member since 2004 • 31076 Posts

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

[QUOTE="ClassyDawg"]Because it's a war glorifying piece of shit.experience_fade

I agree.

I love this comment. Black Ops 2 has around 25 million sales. They don't force anyone to buy their game, so then, by saying its a manifestation of everything wrong in the industry, you're saying 25 million gamers are the manifestation of everything that's wrong in the industry.

Also, hundreds of games exploit and glorify war/killing people. They don't sell 20 million+ every year. They don't even sell 5 million+.

17 million not 25. The highest selling video game yes but it sold 17. A new CoD comes out every year or so with little to not addition over previous call of duty games. They spend more on marketing and advertising by throwing shows, paying celebrities and all than improving the games. It's just marketing. I'd like to note that by saying this I don't mean no one should play it. It's entirely up to them. 

Edit: Actually you're right. it sold 25. I don't equate sales to quality anyway. 

experience_fade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 experience_fade

[QUOTE="experience_fade"]

[QUOTE="gamingqueen"]

I agree.

gamingqueen

17 million not 25. The highest selling video game yes but it sold 17. A new CoD comes out every year or so with little to not addition over previous call of duty games. They spend more on marketing and advertising by throwing shows, paying celebrities and all than improving the games. It's just marketing. I'd like to note that by saying this I don't mean no one should play it. It's entirely up to them. 

Edit: Actually you're right. it sold 25. I don't equate sales to quality anyway. 

I can respect what you're saying, and there's no doubt that CoD changes very little with each new iteration, but there's more to their success than the marketing, which is, unquestionably dubious. 

You can't get 25 million just on evil marketing. Marketing just gets the game in the consumer's hand. If they don't enjoy the game very much, they're not likely to buy the next iteration. And yet, every CoD sells more than the previous.

Some of it has to do with the FPS genre. There is a portion of the gaming audience who only plays CoD or Battlefield. There's a simplicity to both of these franchises (not that they aren't also complex) that games like Skyrim or The Witcher just can't have. Pick up and play is a huge factor, there's almost no learning curve required in CoD to be at least decent at it. Also, though I don't agree, some of these gamers believe CoD to be less "nerdy." Games with dragons and magic don't appeal to them.

So there are a lot of contributing factors to why CoD is successful, but that's why it should be respected. There's a reason why every multiplayer FPS has an experience system attached to it. Any publisher/dev would kill to have CoD's sales numbers. 

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#41 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69966 Posts

Gargus

Well said. Its sad how often folks jump on this overcrowded COD is awful bandwagon.

Ricardomz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Ricardomz
Member since 2012 • 2715 Posts

Because it releases the same content over and over again with just a couple new features, however it is the best multi-player FPS on the market.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

I would imagine that people like myself, who aren't obsessed with playing Call of Duty and ONLY Call of Duty want to see market share taken away from the franchise, to provide the industry with better diversity and variety.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="Zuzuvela"]Because its yearly...yearly franchises are the ones that tend to suffer from franchise fatiguepawq4

This is exactly the problem. A lot of people, including myself, feel the same way about Assassin's Creed. Halo, Mario, Zelda, Gears, etc. don't release a main entry every year like COD. Plus the majority of people that play COD are either kids or douchebag bro gamers.

Not trying to rain on your parade, But Mario, Zelda and Halo aren't annual releases. The ones that do get released aren't related to others in the series, just sayin'
HipHopBeats

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#45 HipHopBeats
Member since 2011 • 2850 Posts

Probably a nitpicky reason, but some of the maps look like generic trash. It's like they placed soldiers in a Sims setting. A cruise ship? Running through someone's house with residents scattered about in a cul de sac? Lol, kind of corny imo. Plus the non stop trolling, noob tubing, etc, gets kind of lame after a while.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#46 Pedro  Online
Member since 2002 • 69966 Posts

Not trying to rain on your parade, But Mario, Zelda and Halo aren't annual releases. The ones that do get released aren't related to others in the series, just sayin'The_Last_Ride

No, they don't just every two years with Mario clocking 2 games within 1 year. Whether or not they are"related" is irrelevant because its the same game.

Zen_Light

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Zen_Light
Member since 2010 • 2143 Posts

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Not trying to rain on your parade, But Mario, Zelda and Halo aren't annual releases. The ones that do get released aren't related to others in the series, just sayin'Pedro

No, they don't just every two years with Mario clocking 2 games within 1 year. Whether or not they are"related" is irrelevant because its the same game.

You speak as though you've played EVERY one that comes out and then made the INFORMED conclusion that they are the "same game", but I highly doubt that to be true. It actually reads more like you're speaking out of your rear end and just making false assumptions.

I do believe a Halo game has been released just about every year, though.

Darkmoone1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#48 Darkmoone1
Member since 2008 • 2845 Posts
Stop caring when I saw that every year I only cared about the multiplayer and every year it felt like I was playing the same game with little to no significant changes to the formula.
The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 The_Last_Ride

[QUOTE="Pedro"]

[QUOTE="The_Last_Ride"]Not trying to rain on your parade, But Mario, Zelda and Halo aren't annual releases. The ones that do get released aren't related to others in the series, just sayin'Zen_Light

You speak as though you've played EVERY one that comes out and then made the INFORMED conclusion that they are the "same game", but I highly doubt that to be true. It actually reads more like you're speaking out of your rear end and just making false assumptions.

I do believe a Halo game has been released just about every year, though.

Well you got the tactic game and the current tablet one. I wouldn't really count those
Avatar image for platinumking320
platinumking320

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#50 platinumking320
Member since 2003 • 668 Posts

[QUOTE="crazyguy111"]People say they want more God of war,Mario, Zelda , and Halo but how come people are so tired of COD? I just don't get it. Haziqonfire
It's easier to get franchise fatigue from games that are annual releases than games from the same series which come out (usually) years apart.

Yeah. and it's really the superficial media hype train and how it affects future game installments that folks are sick of.  That damn hype train made vampire fiction twice as deplorable, and zombies inaccurately depicted like mutants as part of the walking dead trend.

I'm turning into a quote machine but I really think it's this. (campster's vid on "Edgy")

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vZjX65NYVGM

Its more so the pretension media vehicle behind the game, than the actual game. Half-life, Gears Doom and Splinter Cell were loved and made popular in and of themselves. What we have now is jingoistic equivalent of the 'Pokemon media consumer craze on steroids and it was the same for Tony Hawk and Guitar Hero. I'll play it but the contrived fandom and high culture vaccum makes me nauseous.