WHOA-kay. Is it safe to say that Resident Evil 7 is The Exorcist of video games?

sanghelle56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1 sanghelle56
Member since 2017 • 499 Posts

I only saw 5 minutes or so of gameplay on YouTube. This game is soooo hardcore and disturbing. It takes away from the original premise of the series, which is "Find the cure, stop the outbreak, Leon" or whatever. From what I understand you're Ethan and you're looking for your wife looong after the T-Virus outbreak. It's literally 2017 in the game itself.

What do you think? Is it accurate enough to see 7 as Exorcist level scary? 'Cause I'm sure it is.

Treflis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#2 Treflis
Member since 2004 • 13757 Posts

Without spoiling anything, I will say that 2/3 of the game is definitely the more tense and horror full aspect of the game. The last portion things are less so when you've acquire more powerful weaponry.

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#3 PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

I wouldn't call it disturbing nor scary really but then again I'm desensitized to horror as I was watching Friday the 13th type movies by age 4. However it has it's tense moments. I stopped playing early on choosing to wait for the VR version which is supposed to release on PC later in January. I did play it using VorpX and it's definitely more immersive but still not quite the same as it should be if it were native but that's definitely the experience I want to have with it so I'll wait. Playing it on the TV just didn't do much for me but it has it's tense, panicky moments.

I'm also interested in the RE 2 remake as it allegedly may have a first person option which I think would be really neat and definitely up the immersion factor. It's the only other RE game I ever got into, granted RE 3 was quite similar but I can't play that style of camera angles in games anymore. Just feels too much like a chore.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

@sanghelle56: I would state the Remake of the original Resident Evil game is still considered the most 'Horror' of the Resident Evil series. Remake 2 may take that throne one day. Some think Veronica but I don't really consider it very scary_

Resident Evil 7 does a pretty good job on the horror, but if nothing it's main appeal 'for me' is it has a new standard of voice acting and story for the series that previously was more 'campy'. The DLC for Resi7 has that quirky charm so can't see it overall as a huge departure.

I will say that 2/3 of the game is definitely the more tense and horror full aspect of the game

I love Resident Evil 3: Nemesis with a passion. Yet in honestly it's the least Horror of the Umbrella arc, it's certainly tense due to the Nemesis encounters but outside of that, it's far more bullet hell less confined, than the other games.

MarcRecon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 4

#5 MarcRecon
Member since 2009 • 8191 Posts

@sanghelle56 said:

I only saw 5 minutes or so of gameplay on YouTube. This game is soooo hardcore and disturbing. It takes away from the original premise of the series, which is "Find the cure, stop the outbreak, Leon" or whatever. From what I understand you're Ethan and you're looking for your wife looong after the T-Virus outbreak. It's literally 2017 in the game itself.

What do you think? Is it accurate enough to see 7 as Exorcist level scary? 'Cause I'm sure it is.

Disturbing? Yes, Exorcist level scary? No, but I do like that Capcom borrowed a few ideas from the Outlast series to breathe some new life into the RE franchise.

TryIt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 TryIt
Member since 2017 • 13157 Posts

I used to watch releases of games on steam often and I will say this..

Last year there was a metric F TON of extreemly scary games. So there are a lot of games out there to make that evaluation against.

henrythefifth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 henrythefifth
Member since 2016 • 2502 Posts

The game is certainly boring. I find the original Resi games on PS1 much more tense and cardiac arrest inducing. I replayed the old Resis while back and man they were so much better than any Resi that has appeared on PS3/PS4.

gmak2442

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 gmak2442
Member since 2015 • 1089 Posts

It's worst than this movie. It's crazy and very intense.

It's unfortunate for me that I did not did the game in VR. haha.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#11  Edited By demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@sanghelle56: I'm not going to lie. Scariest game I ever played.

Some peeps fight the scares. I'm old enough I can just let myself sink into it. I played it on pc 4k/60fps with HDR. Maybe the best looking game I've ever seen. It's at least up there, anyway. I also had the sound WAY loud, in Dolby Atmos. Really, just a masterpiece. And terrifying the first time if you go into it ready to let yourself be scared. That last bit is the key to any scary game. If you don't LET yourself get into the scared zone, you can't really appreciate what the game is trying to do.

ZombieProof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By ZombieProof
Member since 2016 • 359 Posts

@demi0227_basic said:

@sanghelle56: I'm not going to lie. Scariest game I ever played.

Some peeps fight the scares. I'm old enough I can just let myself sink into it. I played it on pc 4k/60fps with HDR. Maybe the best looking game I've ever seen. It's at least up there, anyway. I also had the sound WAY loud, in Dolby Atmos. Really, just a masterpiece. And terrifying the first time if you go into it ready to let yourself be scared. That last bit is the key to any scary game. If you don't LET yourself get into the scared zone, you can't really appreciate what the game is trying to do.

You make some excellent points all around, especially on how well RE7's sound design is. Hearing that breathing coming from the bottom of that dark staircase near the beginning almost made me shyte meself.

I also agree with you on the "letting yourself get into the scared zone" point. I know this probably isn't the case but most of the folks that claim game X never scared them seems like they played the game with their arms crossed and a smirk on their face trying to be some kinda unflichable edgelord as opposed to sitting back, relaxing, and letting the visual and audio cues tickle their subconscious and letting the experience resonate with them. Either that or they're just going through the game, checking off each element that falls contrary to what they thought/expected the experience to be.

Both are antithetical to enjoying the atmosphere of a game built around atmospheric effect.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 54

#13  Edited By deactivated-5f3ec00254b0d
Member since 2009 • 6278 Posts

To me, not at all. RE7 was one of the disappointments of the year. In VR it works fine for a while, then it starts to get boring. I don't hate the game just don't find it special. I'll give it maybe a 7/10 but to be honest I stopped playing it a bit after getting to the boat area, by then I was just not feeling it.

Edit: In the begin I was actually feeling it. That initial walk to the house in VR works so well, plus the first moments in the house are in my top gaming experiences ever! But then I had to drop VR because it just feels clucky as hell, and some visual glitches were completely immersion braking. Then once I started playing the classic way it was ok for a while but then started feeling lazy and too gamey, and as the family mystery started to dissipate with the mentioned laziness and I ended up in the boat I just couldn't take it. I played a bit more to see what was the point but after a while I couldn't care less.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#14 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@zombieproof: I'm glad others get it. I agree...way too many try hards that don't have the balls to just let themselves really get "into" a scary game. Darks low, cans on/surround loud, etc. It's the same people that clinch their jaws during a scary movie, then later claim how "tough" they are. Sissies.

Gamedenker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gamedenker
Member since 2017 • 8 Posts

It was a little bit scary but I have to admit, it's not as scary as the videos and trailers may suggest. So give it a try :)