Which Final Fantasy has the best story?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 0

#1 Chickan_117
Member since 2009 • 16327 Posts

In your opinion which Final Fantasy had the best story and why?

For me it's still Final Fantasy 7. As much as Cloud's sulking around gets on my nerves that game sucked me in and got me so interested in the world, the history, the emotions of the characters and their backstories...nothing's done that to me in a game as much as FF7.

This is closely followed by Crisis Core although it's a spinoff so not sure that can be called a complete story in it's own right.

Pixel-Perfect

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#2 Pixel-Perfect
Member since 2009 • 5778 Posts

IX for me.

Mr_Cumberdale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#3 Mr_Cumberdale
Member since 2004 • 10189 Posts
I've only played FFX, FFXII, and FFT. But FFX wins by far - probably the best story in any game imo.
Spirit0123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 Spirit0123
Member since 2005 • 25 Posts

In your opinion which Final Fantasy had the best story and why?

For me it's still Final Fantasy 7. As much as Cloud's sulking around gets on my nerves that game sucked me in and got me so interested in the world, the history, the emotions of the characters and their backstories...nothing's done that to me in a game as much as FF7.

Chickan_117

I will have to agree with you there buddy. FF7 is still my favorite game storyline of all time. Btw Mr.Cumberdale, if you liked FFX you really should try FF7 if you ever get the chance to. The game is old, it was made in 1998 I think, so don't expect good graphics. But this storyline is really good, and the fighting is fun also. If you can't find it anywhere, and you own a ps3, FF7 is available as a psone classic purchase in the playstation store. I'm actually playing it on my psp now, and my ps3 broke ( :( ) so I can't tell you how much it costs.

DJ_Lae

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 73

#5 DJ_Lae
Member since 2002 • 42748 Posts
VI for its sheer scope and cast of interesting characters. And a deliciously over the top villain. The story for any pre FFVI game is automatically disqualified for being extremely simple and uninteresting. Part of me would also consider FFVIII or FFX, but there are aspects of the story and characters to those games that drive me nuts. FFVII was okay, FFIX was okay (not very memorable, but fun characters and dialog), and FFXII was far too political and plodding to be of much interest.
Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Chickan_117

VI for its sheer scope and cast of interesting characters. And a deliciously over the top villain. The story for any pre FFVI game is automatically disqualified for being extremely simple and uninteresting. Part of me would also consider FFVIII or FFX, but there are aspects of the story and characters to those games that drive me nuts. FFVII was okay, FFIX was okay (not very memorable, but fun characters and dialog), and FFXII was far too political and plodding to be of much interest.DJ_Lae

Really? I kinda liked II and III on SNES. Very nice stories, especially in 2 with the dark knight / paladin thing and going to the moon and the opposing airship armies blah blah blah.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#7 deactivated-5d0e4d67d0988
Member since 2008 • 5396 Posts

VII, IV, VI. Those 3 have the best stories in my opinion. VIIs story is epic in my opinion as well as IVs, probabaly both equal. I did like VI though not nearly as much as the other two. . I do like ff13's story though, while initially I thought it wasn't that great, it has grown on me.

0diN_7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 0diN_7
Member since 2010 • 1061 Posts

IV for me.

branketra

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 9

#9 branketra
Member since 2006 • 51726 Posts

VII's good. In fact, I've enjoyed every FF I've played.

However, Tactics. My reason? The story has a lot of moral choices and situations that goin the "grey area" of right and wrong; both part of the story and involving for the player, like in FF7 and 8.

Early in the game, Algus is surrounded. Ramza has just seen this and has the choice of focusing on 1.Saving Algus 2.Kill all enemies.

valereth-1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10 valereth-1
Member since 2009 • 9249 Posts

FFVI is the best. FFXII, FFT, FFIX, FFV and FFIV are amazing as well

hakanakumono

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 hakanakumono
Member since 2008 • 27455 Posts

FFX, FFVIII, and either FFVII or FFIX are the top three FF stories imo.

DaneWolF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DaneWolF
Member since 2010 • 25 Posts
FFVII definately has the most captivating storyline I've experienced.
MuddVader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MuddVader
Member since 2007 • 6326 Posts

I hear alot of people say 6 is great, but ive not had the pleassure of playing it because it was stolen from me after like a week >.>

But in any case, for me, it would have to be 7, 8, 10, or 12.

Alot of people say that 12 was too political, but I thought it was great..
It, just as 7, 8, and 10, made me feel sort of depressed that it had the end. I just wanted so much more, but I guess thats the stamp of a good game, leaving you wanting more while still giving a fantastic ride on the way to the end.

ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
Definitely FFVI.
travisstaggs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 travisstaggs
Member since 2008 • 10562 Posts

If you mean older Final Fantasy games then definitely 6 through 10 if you mean newer FF13 story is good but starts off super slow.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

1st. VI

2nd. VII

3rd. X

4th. IX

fend_oblivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 fend_oblivion
Member since 2006 • 6760 Posts

I love the story of FF 7 and 9. But Crisis Core was just plain awesome. I find it amazing that SE managed to pack in a brilliantly written and engaging story for a handheld game. Not to mention, Zack Fair being the most likable protagonist ever. I didn't care much about Zack when I first played FF 7, but damn did CC do that for me. And Rick Gomez as Zack's voice was perfect. Even though I knew what would happen in CC because I played FF 7, I still couldn't help being speechless. The last few cutscenes and battles, I literally had goosebumps. And in the end when Zack asks whether he became a hero, I had to fight to suppress my tears.

And in all my FF 7 playthroughs that came after playing CC, I've always chosen Tifa for the date scene because Tifa liked Cloud more and that I always remember that Zack loved Aerith first.

Few games have made me think like that - to care about the characters, their feelings. For this very reason, I give Crisis Core the nod for best story in a Final Fantasy game.

Metamania

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#18 Metamania
Member since 2002 • 12035 Posts

IV for me. It had an amazing cast, a great story from start to finish. It's something that I feel has been mixxing since...I guess X? 11 and 12 don't count and I've yet to play XIII, so I'm going with IV.

SapSacPrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 SapSacPrime
Member since 2004 • 8925 Posts

This is a hard one, for me its no doubt between VI, VII, VIII and IX :? I think VIII is my favourite though, I really grew an attachment to the characters and I wont go into which parts helped that along incase somebody hasn't played it (although they would be daft clicking this thread but it happens).

I want to add I actually love the story to X but some of the cinematics and Yuna's unemotional VO ruined it for me, as did the end boss dying in two hits :| but on story alone it deserves a mention. Its a shame and unusual that I feel a good story is let down by other elements of a game :?.

Gun-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 Gun-Unit
Member since 2003 • 9866 Posts
FFVI by far,the characters were awesome and the villian is just plain more evil then any villian in FF.FFVII,FFIX,FFX and FFXIII were great also.
Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44196 Posts
Final Fantasy VIII is my favourite story followed by FFX. I'm enjoying FFXIII's story right now and it's looking like it'll be third favourite.
naomigate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 naomigate
Member since 2007 • 163 Posts

Crisis Core Final Fantasy 7!

I miss it soo much on PSP!

the thing that pulled me into it was Zack's painful and sad death..

WE'LL MISS YOU ZACK FAIR!

Rand401

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Rand401
Member since 2010 • 61 Posts

Final Fantasy VI was one with a great storyline.

Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

I can't decide between VI, VIII or X. I found VI had the most diverse/interesting characters, VIII had my favourite characters, and X had the best plot.

liffi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#28 liffi
Member since 2004 • 254 Posts

To me it's final fantasy 8. It has good sttory. ok main character but one of the best side characters. The main boss is good too and the story kind of live. It has some twists in it unlike the last few ff out there. Still I have to say that the best main bad ass character is Kefka. He was just pure evil. Uses all kind of tricks and was cruel.

-DirtySanchez-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#29 -DirtySanchez-
Member since 2003 • 32760 Posts
i love the story of Tactics and XII
majinstrings

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#30 majinstrings
Member since 2004 • 3109 Posts

Final Fantasy X...it's the only one I've played...

Well, I played FFXII but I never finished it...don't remember the story from it, either...

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#31 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts
I've played all but FF7. My favorite stories were 4, 6, 9, and Tactics. I never finished 12 though. 9 is probably my favorite. Eight was good but then started to get stupid at the end, 13 was horrible, I don't remember much of the first three or five though.
frostybanana

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#32 frostybanana
Member since 2010 • 5523 Posts

the thing that pulled me into it was Zack's painful and sad death..

naomigate

I thought Crisis Core had a very moving plotline and adequately supplanted FF7.

Personally, I thought FF7 had the most structured and well thought out plotline of any of the FFs. The character development was excellent and connected you to the characters and it was presented in a manner in which you wouldn't be confused by any of the twists and turns that are present in the game. Really set the standard for me for all RPG storytelling.

FF6 is my honorable mention though. The plotline was pretty creative and I really enjoyed it throughout.

Chickan_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Chickan_117

the thing that pulled me into it was

naomigate

Dude, put in a spoiler tag. Not everyone's played it yet :)

StopThePresses

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 StopThePresses
Member since 2010 • 2767 Posts

Final Fantasy IV. It might not have the best written dialog, but in terms of the core elements of the story, it was just great. Recent entries in the series have become far too convoluted. I don't even know what the hell was going on in XII, and I don't really care either.

The latter part of X just annoyed me, it was so ridiculous and non-sequitur. IX wasn't really much better.

anthonycg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 anthonycg
Member since 2009 • 2017 Posts

FFX for me. But the final boss was probably the worst let down in RPG history...

-Water-Wings-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 -Water-Wings-
Member since 2006 • 1099 Posts

FF: VII or FF: X

chadwick1343

Forum Posts

Wiki Points