Which console is better? Super Nintendo or PlayStation 2?

• 129 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

User Lists: 0

#101 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19581 Posts

PlayStation 2.

Not only does it have a larger library of good games, but it's also backwards compatible with the PS1, so you can't really beat that.

Still, the poll is surprisingly very close.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#102 Valknut4
Member since 2012 • 403 Posts

PlayStation 2.

Not only does it have a larger library of good games, but it's also backwards compatible with the PS1, so you can't really beat that.

Still, the poll is surprisingly very close.

Jag85

Its all us old timers loving our childhood so much. Snes literally made my life better by a large margin, what would I have done with all those thousands of hours other wise? Certainly nothing as great as all them games.

rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#103 rilpas
Member since 2012 • 8161 Posts

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Like around 1 year?Holyspirit-Xbox

two years actually

genesis was released in Japan in 1988 and the SNES in 1990

To be fair I don't consider the end of 88 two years, especially since the Genesis didn't really have any games until 89. I think it was december or november it came out in japan? Especially the power gap between pre-90's TG-16 and the Genesis are no where near eachother.

The Genesis was released in October of 1988

The snes was released in November of 1990

that's 25 months. Technology wise that's a HUGE gap

Avatar image for Holyspirit-Xbox
Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104 Holyspirit-Xbox
Member since 2013 • 271 Posts

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="rilpas"]two years actually

genesis was released in Japan in 1988 and the SNES in 1990

rilpas

To be fair I don't consider the end of 88 two years, especially since the Genesis didn't really have any games until 89. I think it was december or november it came out in japan? Especially the power gap between pre-90's TG-16 and the Genesis are no where near eachother.

Indeed, although imo, the SNES doesn't really show a 2 year gap from the Genesis, and the fact that SNK released there console around the same time as the SNES if not mistaken. Although Now I understand the constant comparisons between Genesis and TG arcadeports.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] To be fair I don't consider the end of 88 two years, especially since the Genesis didn't really have any games until 89. I think it was december or november it came out in japan? Especially the power gap between pre-90's TG-16 and the Genesis are no where near eachother.Holyspirit-Xbox

Indeed, although imo, the SNES doesn't really show a 2 year gap from the Genesis, and the fact that SNK released there console around the same time as the SNES if not mistaken. Although Now I understand the constant comparisons between Genesis and TG arcadeports.

indeed, it's a wonder a the Genesis held its ground in the graphics department against the SNES as well as it did considering the age difference

Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106 Holyspirit-Xbox

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

rilpas

indeed, it's a wonder a the Genesis held its ground in the graphics department against the SNES as well as it did considering the age difference

Actually though other than the Gamecube Nintendo always did cheap out on hardware. The NES was not the most impressive thing outhere compared to its too direct competitors.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107 rilpas

[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Indeed, although imo, the SNES doesn't really show a 2 year gap from the Genesis, and the fact that SNK released there console around the same time as the SNES if not mistaken. Although Now I understand the constant comparisons between Genesis and TG arcadeports.Holyspirit-Xbox

Actually though other than the Gamecube Nintendo always did cheap out on hardware. The NES was not the most impressive thing outhere compared to its too direct competitors.

I think the N64 was a pretty impressive piece of machinery for the time, but I'm not the most informed person to discuss hardware with

Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108 Holyspirit-Xbox

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="rilpas"]indeed, it's a wonder a the Genesis held its ground in the graphics department against the SNES as well as it did considering the age difference

rilpas

I think the N64 was a pretty impressive piece of machinery for the time, but I'm not the most informed person to discuss hardware with

True. Although I should probably get a new Master System soon, those things were pretty reliable and built to last unlike the NES. Sadly, all things must die at somepoint. Except my Atari systems for some reason.
rilpas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#109 rilpas
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Actually though other than the Gamecube Nintendo always did cheap out on hardware. The NES was not the most impressive thing outhere compared to its too direct competitors.Holyspirit-Xbox

True. Although I should probably get a new Master System soon, those things were pretty reliable and built to last unlike the NES. Sadly, all things must die at somepoint. Except my Atari systems for some reason.

Master System was an awesome console, I love it!
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110 Jag85
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Indeed, although imo, the SNES doesn't really show a 2 year gap from the Genesis, and the fact that SNK released there console around the same time as the SNES if not mistaken. Although Now I understand the constant comparisons between Genesis and TG arcadeports.Holyspirit-Xbox

Actually, the NES was impressive for a 1983 console. Its main competitor, the Master System, came two years after it. In addition, the N64 was also impressive for a 1996 console.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111 Jag85
[QUOTE="rilpas"]

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] To be fair I don't consider the end of 88 two years, especially since the Genesis didn't really have any games until 89. I think it was december or november it came out in japan? Especially the power gap between pre-90's TG-16 and the Genesis are no where near eachother.Holyspirit-Xbox

The Neo Geo was almost a generation ahead in terms of 2D graphics, but was far too expensive. For the more affordable price it was being sold for, the SNES was about as powerful as it needed to be in order to make a profit on each console sold. In contrast, Sega initially sold each Mega Drive / Genesis console at a loss, before eventually breaking even. That might explain why the gap between the Mega Drive and SNES didn't feel like two years at all.
nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112 nameless12345
Member since 2010 • 15125 Posts

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="rilpas"]

Jag85

The Neo Geo was almost a generation ahead in terms of 2D graphics, but was far too expensive. For the more affordable price it was being sold for, the SNES was about as powerful as it needed to be in order to make a profit on each console sold. In contrast, Sega initially sold each Mega Drive / Genesis console at a loss, before eventually breaking even. That might explain why the gap between the Mega Drive and SNES didn't feel like two years at all.

SNES was more modern than MD.

Much more colors (32.000, 256 during gameplay - MD 512, 64 during gameplay), better sound chip (designed by Sony), Mode 7, four button controller, ect.

Only thing worse was the CPU, which wasn't that a bottleneck due to special cartridge chips like Super FX, SA-1 and DSP, which made the SNES a lot more capable.

I got the MD first but was still impressed with SNES when I got it. (more colorful graphics with advanced effects and nice stereo sound)

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Indeed, although imo, the SNES doesn't really show a 2 year gap from the Genesis, and the fact that SNK released there console around the same time as the SNES if not mistaken. Although Now I understand the constant comparisons between Genesis and TG arcadeports.nameless12345

Much more colors (32.000, 256 during gameplay - MD 512, 64 during gameplay), better sound chip (designed by Sony), Mode 7, four button controller, ect.

Only thing worse was the CPU, which wasn't that a bottleneck due to special cartridge chips like Super FX, SA-1 and DSP, which made the SNES a lot more capable.

I got the MD first but was still impressed with SNES when I got it. (more colorful graphics with advanced effects and nice stereo sound)

Yes, but the MD could also use special chips, such as the Sega Virtua Processor used for the Virtua Racing cartridge. In addition, the MD had add-ons like the Sega CD and 32X which increased its power. The potential was there, but Sega just failed to capitalize on it.

Nevertheless, the MD's faster CPU was capable of processing early 3D polygon graphics at a fairly decent frame rate without even needing any special chips. For example, check out this early fully 3D first-person shooter RPG for the MD:

Star Cruiser

But once again, Sega failed to capitalize on the MD's 3D capabilities. Either way, you're right that the SNES was technically superior to the MD in nearly every way besides CPU speed, but that higher CPU speed would have given the MD greater 3D potential.

Holyspirit-Xbox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114 Holyspirit-Xbox
[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="rilpas"]indeed, it's a wonder a the Genesis held its ground in the graphics department against the SNES as well as it did considering the age differenceJag85

Actually, the NES was impressive for a 1983 console. Its main competitor, the Master System, came two years after it. In addition, the N64 was also impressive for a 1996 console.

It was a gimped 5200 with less ram, the NES paled in comparison in many ways to its competitors.
XereoWarrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#115 XereoWarrior
Member since 2012 • 135 Posts
Super Nintendo gets my vote. They both had greats but the Snes had more of them.
Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#116 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Actually though other than the Gamecube Nintendo always did cheap out on hardware. The NES was not the most impressive thing outhere compared to its too direct competitors.Holyspirit-Xbox

It was a gimped 5200 with less ram, the NES paled in comparison in many ways to its competitors.

The NES was a gimped 5200...wow.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#117 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

super nintendo

MagnusDracoRex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#118 MagnusDracoRex
Member since 2013 • 28 Posts
SNES
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#119 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"][QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"] Actually though other than the Gamecube Nintendo always did cheap out on hardware. The NES was not the most impressive thing outhere compared to its too direct competitors.Holyspirit-Xbox

I'm having deju vu... I remember saying that same thing before in this forum.

Either way, the NES's direct competitor when it released in 1983 was neither the 5200 (which was on its deathbed due to the North American crash) nor the SMS (which came two years later), but its initial competitor was in fact the Sega SG-1000, a Japan-only console that was more or less a gimped ColecoVision. The NES and SG-1000 released the same day in 1983, but the NES proved to be the superior machine, forcing Sega to come out with the more powerful Master System in 1985.

So no, your claims about the NES being an underpowered machine for its time do not hold true at all.

EDIT:

While I may have, at one time, stated that the Atari 5200 was technically on par with the NES in theory, that doesn't really seem to hold true in practice. When I was comparing a few arcade ports between the 5200 and ColecoVision, the Coleco ports came out looking better.  Likewise, the NES had better arcade ports than the 7800 (i.e. a gimped 5200). In other words, I'd have to say the NES was most certainly a step-up from the consoles that came before it, though not by a significant margin.

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120 nameless12345

[QUOTE="nameless12345"]

[QUOTE="Jag85"] The Neo Geo was almost a generation ahead in terms of 2D graphics, but was far too expensive. For the more affordable price it was being sold for, the SNES was about as powerful as it needed to be in order to make a profit on each console sold. In contrast, Sega initially sold each Mega Drive / Genesis console at a loss, before eventually breaking even. That might explain why the gap between the Mega Drive and SNES didn't feel like two years at all.Jag85

Yes, but the MD could also use special chips, such as the Sega Virtua Processor used for the Virtua Racing cartridge. In addition, the MD had add-ons like the Sega CD and 32X which increased its power. The potential was there, but Sega just failed to capitalize on it.

Nevertheless, the MD's faster CPU was capable of processing early 3D polygon graphics at a fairly decent frame rate without even needing any special chips. For example, check out this early fully 3D first-person shooter RPG for the MD:

Star Cruiser

But once again, Sega failed to capitalize on the MD's 3D capabilities. Either way, you're right that the SNES was technically superior to the MD in nearly every way besides CPU speed, but that higher CPU speed would have given the MD greater 3D potential.

Well, I wouldn't exactly say that 3D polygon performance on the stock Genesis was terribly good.

It was better than SNES, yes, but games were still very choppy.

As you said yourself, it needed the SVP chip for better 3D performance and that was only used for Virtua Racing. (not counting 32X which did give it some quite decent 3D capability)

nameless12345

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121 nameless12345

[QUOTE="Holyspirit-Xbox"][QUOTE="Jag85"] Actually, the NES was impressive for a 1983 console. Its main competitor, the Master System, came two years after it. In addition, the N64 was also impressive for a 1996 console.Jag85

I'm having deju vu... I remember saying that same thing before in this forum.

Either way, the NES's direct competitor when it released in 1983 was neither the 5200 (which was on its deathbed due to the North American crash) nor the SMS (which came two years later), but its initial competitor was in fact the Sega SG-1000, a Japan-only console that was more or less a gimped ColecoVision. The NES and SG-1000 released the same day in 1983, but the NES proved to be the superior machine, forcing Sega to come out with the more powerful Master System in 1985.

So no, your claims about the NES being an underpowered machine for its time do not hold true at all.

EDIT:

While I may have, at one time, stated that the Atari 5200 was technically on par with the NES in theory, that doesn't really seem to hold true in practice. When I was comparing a few arcade ports between the 5200 and ColecoVision, the Coleco ports came out looking better.  Likewise, the NES had better arcade ports than the 7800 (i.e. a gimped 5200). In other words, I'd have to say the NES was most certainly a step-up from the consoles that came before it, though not by a significant margin.

NES actually set the standards for resolution, colors, parallax scrolling (which was smooth on NES), control (D-pad) and sound (see how popular "8-bit music" is - this is largly thanks to NES) when it came out.

It could also use special cartridge chips which increased it's graphical (and sound) capability.

Only things I think they could have fixed were the sprite flicker, occasional slowdown (read: higher clocked CPU), the quality of the buttons and give it a better cartridge slot system.

Master System was better, but it came out a year later and the 16-bit systems (i.e. TG-16 & Genesis) came out years later.

edit: here's two games that nicely demonstrate what NES can do:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z6oB-ytKhVI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wbsw7nADWwY

edit 2: and let's not forget on Sunsoft's other masterpieces:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hvTWB611s6I

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6b5hs2NXSU

PokeCrysis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#122 PokeCrysis
Member since 2013 • 40 Posts
I'm not really sure how you can compare 2 consoles that were 13 years apart from a "hardware perspective" but if we are going to compare game quality then I would have to go for the SNES because of "gems" like Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star and Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time.
Clock-w0rk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123 Clock-w0rk
Member since 2012 • 3378 Posts

Nothing beats the PS2.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#124 Jag85

I like how the poll is tied at 50-50.

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125 Valknut4

Jag85

When you consider the SNES has maybe a 10th of the library size, it really brings it all into perspective.

Avatar image for deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

#126 deactivated-5eea5a5a83edd
Member since 2011 • 348 Posts
I'm not really sure how you can compare 2 consoles that were 13 years apart from a "hardware perspective" but if we are going to compare game quality then I would have to go for the SNES because of "gems" like Chrono Trigger, Mega Man X, Kirby Super Star and Ninja Turtles IV: Turtles In Time.PokeCrysis
Yes, I'm comparing each console as to which one had the better game library.
famicommander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#127 famicommander
Member since 2008 • 8524 Posts
Both are incredible but Super Nintendo is a better system by a huge margin.
Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#128 Jag85

[QUOTE="Jag85"]

Valknut4

When you consider the SNES has maybe a 10th of the library size, it really brings it all into perspective.

Actually, the SNES library had over 1400 games, while the PS2 library had over 3800 games (excluding PS1 games). The difference in size is about 2-3 times, not 10 times.

Also, this is the Legacy Platforms forum, so the poll results shouldn't be too surprising. If this was System Wars, I'm pretty sure the PS2 would be leading by a considerable margin (since, you know, a lot of those SW guys hate primitive graphics and despise Nintendo).

Valknut4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129 Valknut4

Actually, the SNES library had over 1400 games, while the PS2 library had over 3800 games (excluding PS1 games). The difference in size is about 2-3 times, not 10 times.

Also, this is the Legacy Platforms forum, so the poll results shouldn't be too surprising. If this was System Wars, I'm pretty sure the PS2 would be leading by a considerable margin (since, you know, a lot of those SW guys hate primitive graphics and despise Nintendo).

Jag85

Holy smokes so it does! I really thought the SNes had about 400-500 games, where the PS2 had closer to 4500-5000 games. Thats what I get for assuming things though xD

Agreed on the 2nd part also, I guessed the Ps2 would pull way ahead of Snes in this poll because of the demographic. Figured more people here grew up with the PS2 rather then the SNES like myself, but dem assumptions.