Where does the phrase "Triple A" come from?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

I hear it used a lot meaning big budget, in System Wars it means 9.0+ score.

Where does the phrase come from?

HellsAngel2c

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 HellsAngel2c
Member since 2004 • 5540 Posts
It comes from the terrible scoring system used by gaming websites. 8's are considered great games, giving them an A ranking. a 9 is a REALLY great game, making it an AA and a 10 is a REALLY REALLY great game, making it a stupid AAA game. Basically, there's not much difference in quality between 8 and 10 games except for the amount of money a company pumps into the media to generate hype and brain wash people into buying a game asap. This is why I favor a 5 star system rating over the ?/10 system. There's more meaning in the difference between a 3 star game and a 5 star game.
Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

Well then, what does "AAAE" mean?

Jackc8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#4 Jackc8
Member since 2007 • 8515 Posts

Basically, there's not much difference in quality between 8 and 10 games except for the amount of money a company pumps into the media to generate hype and brain wash people into buying a game asap. HellsAngel2c

Couldn't agree more. Once you get above a certain level of quality, I think it all comes down to what appeals to you and what doesn't.

locknload17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 locknload17
Member since 2010 • 166 Posts

I could be wrong, but I have a feeling it originated from the business and investment world...and the reason we've seen the term used so much in the gaming industry in recent years is due to the industry becoming more corporate focused and market driven.

The mentality of gamers has also become more corporate and market driven. I mean, a decade ago I don't remember gamers being so obsessed with sales, all that mattered was good games...but these days, with how gamers post monthly sales data, you'd think they had their entire stock portfolio invested in a company. Not to mention, the whole point of System Wars and the idea of a "fanboy" is blind loyalty to one company's brand name, regardless of the quality they or their competitors put out.

Bonds get credit ratings like AAA, BBB, CCC...with AAA being the best investment. As for games, outside of forums, I first heard it used in the professional sense from financial analysts (guys like Pachter) to describe a big budget title that looked to be a good financial investment for a company and it's investors and could raise a company's stock, probably due to it being used to describe a game that has a high market awareness giving it a higher probability to be highly financially successful.

Especially since I've seen it applied to games that didn't neccessarily get the highest reviews, but were titles that had very high budget and marketing that were financial hits...games like Resident Evil, Final Fantasy XIII and Saint's Row have been described as being "AAA", even though that didn't necessarily get very high review aggregate. In reverse, I've never really seen the term "AAA" applied to indie titles, despite some getting very high aggregate review scores, even above big budget titles that have been labeled as "AAA".

I don't really put much weight behind those terms....especially since most of the terms popping up on gaming forums these days don't seem to make any real sense and are all over the map in terms of their definition (ie "console exclusive" or "AAA") and don't really seem to have a universally concrete one. Take the term "console exclusive", you'd think it would mean a game that's only available to console platforms, but it's been used to describe a game that is on one company's console platform and not it's competitors, despite the same game being easily available on platforms outside of console, which get ignored some some reason.

LazyMushroom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 LazyMushroom
Member since 2011 • 914 Posts
I've never really questioned where it originated from, I always thought it meant big budget, well known, major game.
1PMrFister

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#7 1PMrFister
Member since 2010 • 3134 Posts

Well then, what does "AAAE" mean?

Heirren
The "E" part means exclusive to a certain system. And I've never understood the logic behind the "AAA" business. A game with a 9.0+ score is "AAA" so does that mean a game with a 7.0+ score is "A"? Going by how quickly some folks on System Wars dismiss games with scores below an 8, you'd think a 7.0 score was a "C" or lower.
topsemag55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#8 topsemag55
Member since 2007 • 19063 Posts

This is why I favor a 5 star system rating over the ?/10 system. There's more meaning in the difference between a 3 star game and a 5 star game. HellsAngel2c

Not really much difference, each star is worth 2 points. 4 stars = 8.0, 5 stars = 10.