what's your favourite console...ever!

• 86 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

User Lists: 0

#1 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

it can be handheld if that is your favourite, new consoles also count

so which console is your favourite and why??

this has probably been asked a million times before but why not....

mine is the PS1 because

1)Final Fantasy 7/8/9 are the best

2)Metal Gear solid 1 was the best in the series.

3)Rayman ,Spyro, Crash, Grandia (yes it was on saturn as well but still)

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Darkman2007
and no complaining about other people's decision if they give a good reason. discuss if you want if you have a good point to make.
benje23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 benje23
Member since 2008 • 25 Posts

NES

Classics FTW.

More_Dakka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 84

#4 More_Dakka
Member since 2007 • 1625 Posts

PC. :)

Now if only system requirements wouldn't keep skyrocketing... :(

valgear

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 valgear
Member since 2005 • 2087 Posts
SNES. Pinnacle of gaming.
DBScott11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 DBScott11
Member since 2009 • 409 Posts
the sega because it had good graphics of the time and mortal kombat was awesome
jfcundiff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 jfcundiff
Member since 2007 • 6365 Posts
SNES or PS1. The crazy amount of great games coming out then was really cool.
Stinger78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Stinger78
Member since 2003 • 5846 Posts

I might answer it this way:

Favorite 8-bit: NES (I didn't own a Sega Master System) - the console that I had first. The console, that after a little maintenance, still works 20 years later. The console that really started some key gaming franchises. Where would Mario, Metroid or Zelda be, had they not been playable at home on the NES?

16-bit: Between Sega Genesis and SNES, I choose SNES - the system introduced me to 3D gaming, with a title known as Star Fox. The same system also brought home some of my favorite arcade game ports like Street Fighter II, TMNT Turtles In Time, and Sunset Riders.

32-bit: Between PlayStation and N64 (technically '64' bit, but I group it in the same generation) - I choose PlayStation - PS had my number 3 favorite game of all time - Twisted Metal 2. It was also the first console that competed not only with the 3d graphics of the competition, but improved upon the amount of data available to developers, and had CD audio.
- (I didn't own a Sega Saturn)

"Next-Gen": between Dreamcast, PlayStation 2, Nintendo Gamecube and Microsoft's Xbox: This is a lot tougher decision for me, but I guess I spent the most time playing the Xbox out of those 4 (I still own all 4 systems). The Xbox brought me online gaming, a controller that helped show pc gamers that consoles could have their own First-Person Shooter franchises (yes, I know about Goldeneye on the N64). The Xbox also utilized System Link, for users that didn't have broadband internet, but stilll wanted to be able to play with friends, while not having to share the same TV screen.

"Next-Gen 2": I don't want to get into a PlayStation 3 vs Wii vs Xbox 360 choice because this is the Legacy Platform Forum. I currently own 2 of those 3, and I see pro's and cons for each of the systems.

Overall favorite: Tough call, but I guess I choose NES. NES was what started console gaming for me. We had a couple different computers and a few games that were really fun to play on them, but if I hadn't had an NES, I don't know if I would be a PC AND Console video gamer. My NES is almost 21 years old, works as well as it did when I got it, I feel that the games have aged a lot better than a lot of the 3D-based games over the years and I just like going back to the basics sometimes.

Rocky32189

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Rocky32189
Member since 2007 • 8995 Posts
Super Nintendo
acetrouble

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 92

#10 acetrouble
Member since 2008 • 422 Posts

Sega Saturn, closely followed by the Dreamcast.

At its time the Saturn had near perfect arcade ports such as Virtua Fighter 2, Virtua Cop and a bunchload of 2D fighting games, which looked better than their PS1 equivalents due to the 4 MB RAM cartridge. And Guardian Heroes is easily the best 2D side-scrolling beat 'em up ever made!

The Dreamcast had amazing titles such as Shenmue, Soul Calibur, Rival Schools: Project Justice, Skies of Arcadia, Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike, Power Stone, Sonic Adventure etc.

konvikt_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 konvikt_17
Member since 2008 • 22378 Posts

NES hands down

mainly because guardian legend, plus all the classic fun games that it has. i also found Bubble Bobble to be fun on the NES

VinnoT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 VinnoT
Member since 2003 • 4649 Posts
its not a console..but my fave gaming platform ever is the PC. If I HAVE to choose a console - id say the PS3. I liked the PS1 but I was too poor to buy all the games I wanted lol.
Avatar image for JannettyTRocker
JannettyTRocker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 JannettyTRocker
Member since 2006 • 1160 Posts
Sega Mastersystem
mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#14 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

5 way tie ps1 n64 snes wii ps2

1 these have big librarys for collectors like my self,

2 all the good games come to them or did,

3 they hold up today and did somthing specail back when they were out

key games for each system

ps1 -need for speed series all but 1 and porshe were exclusive spyro crash and syphon filter etc

snes - mario top gear zelda stunt race etc

n64 mario 64 goldeneye perfect dark duke nukem 64 and 4 controller ports to boot

ps2- timesplitters 1 the getaway gran turismo mgs and more,

wii- it continues the tradition where snes /n64 left off, games mariokart wii wii sports ssbb house of the dead the wii mote and everything that goes with it

also it has alot of classic titles for download if i cant find them in pawns also if i didnt want to have 10-20 systems hooked to the tv i can consolidate via the vc and gc bx, wii plays nes snes n64 tg16-a console i never owned and cant find , sms another one i dont own cant find neo geo same here and genesis,

thats one heck of a machine if you ask me more then even the 5 4 3 or 2nd choice has offered

Zwei_Thanatos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Zwei_Thanatos
Member since 2006 • 286 Posts
Mine would have to be a tie between the Sega Saturn and the SNES. Saturn for some of the best shoot-em-ups ever made, and SNES for some of the best platformers ever made and the REAL best Final Fantasy games. FF7 and 8 were, well, trashy... FF9 was decent-ish, but nowhere near the god-tier of FF4/5/6.
ENDOT12123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 ENDOT12123
Member since 2007 • 1223 Posts
DREAMCAST
Hermit_Crab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#17 Hermit_Crab
Member since 2005 • 42 Posts
NES.

This is the one system that has always been a constant in my life, its like a magnet, there were times that I'd lost my way, passed it off in favor of something new, but then there I was again a few years later, back with the NES, and now, we're inseparable. I've had my current collection now for over 9 years, have 385 carts, and though I had stopped collecting for it for a bit once I'd gotten back into the PS, that was only temporary, I knew I'd eventually start collecting for it again, afterall there's still much I'm missing out on that I want to experience to the fullest. Sure I can play them by way of emulation, but its just not the same. Every once and a while I give the NES a break, try something else for a little while, such as going a couple weeks or months with my Playstation (and now PS2 as well), but I can't stay away from it for long, the NES is who I am. Oh, and I collect to play, not just to have or for value, anything I get, I intend to enjoy it all to the fullest, and if possible, beat 'em.

The length of most NES games are perfect for me, I don't do well sticking with a game if its overly long, depending on the game and how much it surprises or excites me with the action or storyline, it varies, but I usually like my average game to last a half hour to no more than a few hours, while RPGs and such start to drain me if they exceed 20+ hours. I hear about a game having 100+ hours of gameplay, I tend to stay away from it, I have a hard time staying focused on just one thing for that long a time, and if I put it off in favor of another game temporarily for variety, I tend to forget where I was last in it when I get back to it.

Challenge on NES games is right were I like it, most don't include an auto-mapping system and they don't hold your hand through the games with unnecessary advice that breaks up the action when you're in the zone. Plus there are so many limitations in the gameplay which in the end works better than if you were an over-powered super soldier plowing effortlessly past every single foe. And you can't just save anytime you like, therefore all this, it gives me a deeper satisfaction with myself and the game when I finally beat it.

And the games are 2D, sprites, the limitations of colors as well as sound forces the programmers to be extra creative with such limitations. Most of them pull it off nicely, with cool effects such as seen in Super Spy Hunter, Lone Ranger, Laser Invasion, Batman: RotJ, and others. Also catchy, beautifully put together soundtracks as with most of what Konami, and Sunsoft have done with their games, Journey to Silius is most well know for its awesome soundtrack but not in the least the only one or even few. The NES has some of the best tunes ever, and some of the most gorgeous backgrounds that are quite a sight to just sit back and look at.

Naturally (though not with everybody), Super Mario Bros. will always be cl@ssic, along with ones such as Zelda, Punch-Out, Metroid, Megamans, and Castlevanias. Of the several hundred NES games that I've played, not a single one has felt 'aged' after all these years (though that may be due to me never really leaving them in the past completely). In fact, many have only gotten better as I have aged. Even ones that most would consider sub-par, such as Deadly Towers, 8 Eyes, or Rambo, will still hold up for me for years to come, considering I've enjoyed these games the first time I played them, they were good then and always will be. And then there are games that I even thought sucked at first, but after giving them a thorough chance, many of those have redeemed themselves within this past near decade, at least as okay or decent titles regardless of weaknesses. And there's a lot of hidden jems that aren't known by many outside the truely knowledgable NES gamer such as Shatterhand, Metal Storm, or Kabuki Quantum Fighter to name a few, many of these surpassing in gameplay even those more well known cl@ssics that everyone always associates with the NES. There are hundreds of great games for this console waiting to be explored.

But while the NES is my favorite console, the Playstation comes in a close second, which considering I've played far fewer great games for it, as well as own far fewer games, somehow because of how good those fewer amounts are, this is enough.
bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

by generation

3rd NES

4th SNES

5th N64

6th PS2

7th Wii

By bit size

8 bit NES

16 bit SNES

32 bit PS2 the size of processor

64 bit N64

by format

cartridge N64

CD ps1

DVD 360

card DS

Raiko101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Raiko101
Member since 2005 • 3339 Posts
It's between 3 for me. The NES, the PS1 and the DS. All 3 have a great library of games, even when you ignore the big name games like Super Mario Bros, MGS, Final Fantasy, etc... I'd probably have to go with the NES. Most of the games had the simple premise, the simple gameplay, awesome graphics and were amazingly addictive.
doll94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 doll94
Member since 2008 • 1559 Posts
snes
pulawman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#21 pulawman
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

In the following order:

1. PS1 - Crash, Tekken, Tobal, Lunar

2. Dreamcast - Sonic, Shenmue, Skies of Arcadia

3. Genesis - Sonic, Altered Beast, Vectorman...lists goes on and on and on

4. PS2 - non even going to get started here....FIRE PRO WRESTLING FTW!

They are actually all my favorite systems, but each one has it's on history with me.

sticky5fingaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 sticky5fingaz
Member since 2007 • 49 Posts
Easy...SNES. Best side scrollers and rpgs. any more questions?
LP4EVA2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 LP4EVA2005
Member since 2004 • 8585 Posts
SEGA DreamCast..it had the best imported fighting games ever!
Mike1978Smith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mike1978Smith
Member since 2005 • 2012 Posts

SNES hands down. If I have to explain it, you didn't experience it, and since you didn't experience it, you'll never understand.

Let me simply put it this way; While technology has improved over the years, no generation has matched the "enjoy factor" that the SNES provided for its time. Only the PS2 has come close, so far.

Andrewrocks911

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 Andrewrocks911

Wii! it gets people to actually get off the couch, And you can buy the old games, Like ornica of time!

Megavideogamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#26 Megavideogamer
Member since 2004 • 6554 Posts
Snes I have never been so "addicted" to a gaming console. Because it was the closest to old school gaming in the arcade for yesteryear.
Shiggums

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#27 Shiggums
Member since 2007 • 21436 Posts
PS. I've always been a HUGE RPG nut, and the PS gave me all the RPGs I needed growing up. Plus, great platformers and sports games (before they got so complicated)
D3dr0_0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 232

#28 D3dr0_0
Member since 2008 • 3530 Posts
Its a tie with SNES and PS2 since PS2 is backward compatible.
DeafNYCPlayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 DeafNYCPlayer
Member since 2004 • 2314 Posts
Nintendo- I loved SNES, and Gamecube because it had great RPGs (SNES), fighting (SNES again), arcade games, and puzzle games. I will get Wii. Sony- I loved my Playstation because it had great RPGs like Final Fantasy, Chrono Cross, Wild Arms, etc. Sega- Dreamcast, I loved fighting games like MvC 1-2, Project Justice, CvS 1-2, Soul Calibur, etc.
motherboop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 motherboop
Member since 2007 • 2382 Posts
As much as I love andgrew up with the classic platforms, I'm going to have to say a 60GB PS3, which gives me 3 great systems in one package. Best system ever.
Avatar image for deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
deactivated-5df4e79c309ad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 deactivated-5df4e79c309ad
Member since 2005 • 6045 Posts
I would say the TurboDuo.
doubutsuteki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#32 doubutsuteki
Member since 2004 • 3425 Posts

Well, the NES and the SNES are the best. Even though I like them both, I must say that I've had very good times with my Sega consoles (except for the Master System). I've never really been into any other consoles except for the TurboGrafx 16 / PC-Engine. Sony consoles I've only had briefly and so I've never really cared much for them apart from individual games for them. Microsoft consoles I've had none at all. The N64 and GC I didn't like.

So I remain undecided. I think that the SNES was the best ever console, but I don't know if it's my #1 favourite.

Shenmue_Jehuty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shenmue_Jehuty
Member since 2007 • 5211 Posts
Probably Sega Dreamcast, just because of all the wonderful memories it has given me, and its ability to still entertain me.
misskarli24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 misskarli24
Member since 2008 • 393 Posts
Definately the SNES FTW simple,fun.addictive need i say more:)
revolutiontim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 revolutiontim
Member since 2007 • 45 Posts

I have two favorite consoles.

1. XBOX because it had many pc hits I couldn't run and had Halo

2. Nintendo 64 for the amazing wrestling games and golden eye

ministarWraagh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 ministarWraagh
Member since 2008 • 41 Posts
ps1
bigd575

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 185

#37 bigd575
Member since 2008 • 6192 Posts
For me the NES and the PS2 because it can play PS1 games to.
hurriflash

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#38 hurriflash
Member since 2008 • 645 Posts
For me the NES and the PS2 because it can play PS1 games to.bigd575
same for me, but ps2 has its really good games yet.
kfjl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#39 kfjl
Member since 2004 • 2469 Posts
The NES would be my favorite largely for nostalgic reasons but it also had a lot of awesome games. After that, probably the PS2 because of the large library of games but to be honest the XBox 360 is heading up my list in a hurry
joesh89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 308

#40 joesh89
Member since 2008 • 8489 Posts
nintendo 64.
Tenko72

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Tenko72
Member since 2003 • 662 Posts
I can't think of 1 good console. But N64, PS1, PS2 and SNES had some really great games.
Painmaster212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Painmaster212
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts
Hard to pick just one but i think it would have to be the SNES cause i grew up playing it and got so many good memorys of it xD I mean come on it had everything! lol
JReefer1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#43 JReefer1
Member since 2004 • 898 Posts
Of yesteryear Dreamcast because I like Namoi Arcade based hardware. Today's "console" PS3 hands down, because, take one for a test run and you'll know why.
Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Darkman2007
Of yesteryear Dreamcast because I like Namoi Arcade based hardware. Today's "console" PS3 hands down, because, take one for a test run and you'll know why. JReefer1
i have a PS3, i know exactly what you mean
WildCarddeDeus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 165

#45 WildCarddeDeus
Sega Genesis...it does what nintendon't
Chiddaling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#46 Chiddaling
Member since 2008 • 9106 Posts
NES tied with SNES. Oooh the classics :D
nirvana563

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 nirvana563
Member since 2005 • 2913 Posts
Sega Genesis. #1 I grew up with it so I have lots of memories with it. #2 It has some just insanely great games on it.
saruman354

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#48 saruman354
Member since 2004 • 10776 Posts
SNES...by far the greatest amount of classic, grade A games that are still enormous fun today
Papitar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Papitar
Member since 2008 • 2377 Posts
If PC doesen't count -> PS1, N64 or SNES. The 360 is pretty fun too, but nothing is as fun as when you was a kid. Kinda sad actually =(
HybridRogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 HybridRogue
Member since 2006 • 213 Posts
Nintendo 64.