What system should I get Super Mario World on?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 0

#1 Xanth93
Member since 2009 • 315 Posts

I've been seeing reviews for Super Mario World, and it's said to be one of the greatest 2D platformers of all time, so I am thinking of buying it when I can. However, I have the option to get the remake on the GBA, or I can buy the Wii Virtual Console version, and I'm not sure which one to get.

I will be looking at price. I'm pretty sure it'll be very hard to find a copy of Super Mario World for the GBA for less than $8, the price for the Virtual Console version. I am wondering if the expansions on the GBA version are worth going that extra mile and spending extra money for that version than the version on the Wii.

Also, I do like the fact that the Wii version will be on my 32" TV, unlike the tiny screen for the GBA. It was the same way when I played Mario 64 and then played the DS version. I didn't like the DS version nearly as much.

I'm leaning towards getting the game on the Virtual Console due to ease, price, and the game being on a big TV. I am wondering if the expansions on the GBA version are significant enough so I should get that version instead.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#2 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

snes cart for nostalgia, gba cart for portability, wii virtual console for convinience and better controller (classic controller)....

for mario, i tend to go for nostalgia.

Avatar image for just_nonplussed
just_nonplussed

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#3 just_nonplussed
Member since 2006 • 4130 Posts

i usually prefer buying games for their original consoles and devices though (mario 64, chrono trigger, etc.). the bad thing about VC is it is emulation, and it feels like emulation; you often can't just go back to the start screen.

mattykovax

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#4 mattykovax
Member since 2004 • 22693 Posts
SNES is the only way to go. Best controller ever,more comfy than a GBA.
Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Xanth93

Unfortunately, I don't have a SNES; otherwise, I would get it on the SNES. For me, the options are GBA or Wii.

Crimsader

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 Crimsader
Member since 2008 • 11672 Posts

NES is the best.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#7 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

Well, with the GBA, you could play Super Mario World anywhere, where-as you would not be able to do that with the Wii version, and only play it at home.

If you don't care about that, though, then you should totally get the Wii version.

Xanth93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Xanth93

@Crimsader: What does that have to do with a SNES game? I'm not talking about the first three Super Mario Bros.; I'm talking about Super Mario World...

@DJ-Lafleur: I usually don't play my DS Lite (unless the game I want to play is exclusive to the DS or GBA or if I only have a remake for either), so portability doesn't matter to me. The Wii version seems like the better option for me, then.

What does anyone think about the expansions on the GBA version? As I asked before, does it warrant getting that version, or should I get the Wii version?