What my friend thinks about gaming and video games.. (reply plz)

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 milan22
Member since 2007 • 840 Posts
We got in a discussion 2day at school about gaming, he stated that gaming and video g games r for pointless people and for people who r not wise or really successful in life. he also stated that gaming is a time wasting thing that wise/successful people do not do. he told me that his biggest proof is people like writers and scientists, they don't do such stupid stuff cuz they r wise and smart. in the end i thought of it.... and honostly ye i do not want my 50yr old father do that! thoughts & replies plz!
heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

Well it all depends on how successful your friend is. If he's very successful then, well at least he's talking from experience. If he isn't then he's basically talking out his...........

dudlydawson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 dudlydawson
Member since 2005 • 47 Posts

What your friend thinks about video games is his opinion, which he/she is most certainly entitled to. I've encountered such folk en mass. It seems there are just as many or even more people who take the opposite camp. I believe that one should go about life doing whatever it is that makes one happy. If I'd like to cure cancer whilst simultaneously preventing global warming, there's nothing wrong with that. If I want to sit in my living room/apartment/mom's basement and do nothing but play games for the rest of my life, then who cares? What difference does it make as long as I'm happy? There are plenty of people like your friend writing books about curing cancer that those of us who choose the latter path can blissfully game our lives away. Well, there's my position.

Avatar image for Smokescreened84
Smokescreened84

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#6 Smokescreened84
Member since 2005 • 2565 Posts

Sounds like he needs a smack across the face from reality. I'm a born writer, I've posted stories in one site and got several pieces I've written in notecards in Second Life while working on other pieces slowly, wrote something early this morning before heading out to pay the bills.
I choose not to bepublished because 1) it tends to cost more than I can afford 2) I don't want to be published despite people having read my work over the years and saying I should get published 3) I write to get the ideas out, not to make money.

I play video games since it can be a nice break and they're a good help with my disability, also at times it can be a nice aid when it comes to sorting out ideas rather than sitting at the computer for hours trying to force the ideas out.

R/T

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 milan22
well my friend is really interested in things like books and wealth and i too like to read books about several thing and i am not that kind of World Of Warcraft freak who stays for hours and hours in front of tv or monitor and make stupid vids on youtube bashing games and un-important stuff, i do several things like workout, read, go out with friends etc.. but i ask myself.. what is wrong with having an un-harmful break playing games? does it represent my personality as materialistic or careless or even stupid... cuz comparing 2 all the big helpful stuff that i do and care about (read, workout, chasing knowledge, etc..) i see that video games r negative representation of my personality... well, whenever i speak with someone about games in front of my friend he throws comments like "i don't get how u people care about stupid low stuff like games" , "do ur parents play games??!!"...etc... in the end plz reply to me, does playing games represent my personality negatively in front of people like teachers, thinkers and other important people? thanks, peace :)
aura_enchanted

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#8 aura_enchanted
Member since 2006 • 7942 Posts

im going to be a cisco cert. a+ network technician this means ill have the knowledge to assemble the system of connections and devices linking you to your internet service provider and possibly even further than this. and i play video games am i a pointless individual i dont think so? you think internet just comes from thin air people are maintaining it left right and center to ensure quality of service to think im a useless person with no purpose who will never be important or successful? he needs to have stereotypes kicked from his head XD.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 milan22

[QUOTE="milan22"]well my friend is really interested in things like books and wealth and i too like to read books about several thing and i am not that kind of World Of Warcraft freak who stays for hours and hours in front of tv or monitor and make stupid vids on youtube bashing games and un-important stuff, i do several things like workout, read, go out with friends etc.. but i ask myself.. what is wrong with having an un-harmful break playing games? does it represent my personality as materialistic or careless or even stupid... cuz comparing 2 all the big helpful stuff that i do and care about (read, workout, chasing knowledge, etc..) i see that video games r negative representation of my personality... well, whenever i speak with someone about games in front of my friend he throws comments like "i don't get how u people care about stupid low stuff like games" , "do ur parents play games??!!"...etc... in the end plz reply to me, does playing games represent my personality negatively in front of people like teachers, thinkers and other important people? thanks, peace :)SEANMCAD

were the top executives of AIG and Enron successful when they were making bank? Maybe life would be better for everyone if many stopped trying to be so successful all the time. Maybe we wouldnt have large artic glaciers coming our way either

Everything is meaningless execpt for the things you choose to have meaning. Just dont let the dictates of others determine what is or is not meaningful to you and why.

great advice bro! actually i told him not 2 judge me of being pointless or stupid. he didn't judge me directly but he was pointing at me the whole time so... he is my friend in the end ye?
xmitchconnorx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 xmitchconnorx
Member since 2007 • 2649 Posts
[QUOTE="milan22"]well my friend is really interested in things like books and wealth and i too like to read books about several thing and i am not that kind of World Of Warcraft freak who stays for hours and hours in front of tv or monitor and make stupid vids on youtube bashing games and un-important stuff, i do several things like workout, read, go out with friends etc.. but i ask myself.. what is wrong with having an un-harmful break playing games? does it represent my personality as materialistic or careless or even stupid... cuz comparing 2 all the big helpful stuff that i do and care about (read, workout, chasing knowledge, etc..) i see that video games r negative representation of my personality... well, whenever i speak with someone about games in front of my friend he throws comments like "i don't get how u people care about stupid low stuff like games" , "do ur parents play games??!!"...etc... in the end plz reply to me, does playing games represent my personality negatively in front of people like teachers, thinkers and other important people? thanks, peace :)

Video games don't represent you as materialistic. You say your friend is interested in wealth there's nothing more materialistic than wealth. Your friend sounds like a sad sorry person that will die rich but very lonely, haha. He seems like one of those people that was a grumpy old man even as a kid. I can't say that i'm successful yet, but right now I'm an 'A' student in college and hope to one day get a Master's degree and I play and will continue to play a ton of video games.
jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
Bah! I don't know where to start.. Someone give his friend a million bucks and a PS2 and tell him to shut the - Oh sorry, I'm just upset because video games made me stupid and poor. :\ Do you know how many wealthy people are content with their lives and living in a perfectly happy world without stress or worry? Heh about as many people equal to my savings. Your friend is living a lie and no educated scholar, millionaire, or CEO who plays video games will convince him otherwise. Teachers, thinkers and "important" people all have different ways of enjoying life and no hobby, regardless of size or scale, can alter the differences that make everyone unique. Anyone who looks down on you doesn't think much of themselves, for if they did there would be no reason to judge in the first place.
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 milan22
[QUOTE="jjtiebuckle"]Bah! I don't know where to start.. Someone give his friend a million bucks and a PS2 and tell him to shut the - Oh sorry, I'm just upset because video games made me stupid and poor. :\ Do you know how many wealthy people are content with their lives and living in a perfectly happy world without stress or worry? Heh about as many people equal to my savings. Your friend is living a lie and no educated scholar, millionaire, or CEO who plays video games will convince him otherwise. Teachers, thinkers and "important" people all have different ways of enjoying life and no hobby, regardless of size or scale, can alter the differences that make everyone unique. Anyone who looks down on you doesn't think much of themselves, for if they did there would be no reason to judge in the first place.

plz bro don't judge his interest in wealth as materialistic only, cuz he thinks of wealth and money a different way than most people, he wants to do charity with that money u know that!? and he wants to build mosques and other things. look, my friend isn't materialistic and wealth isn't materialistic thing if used right, to gain god's love and people's :)
Kamekazi_69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Kamekazi_69
Member since 2006 • 4704 Posts

Well well well. As a person who also implies plans for my billion dollarwealth and success in business one day, games are a form of stress reliever for me. I play about 1 hour a week when I get caught up with school work or I become heavily stressed out planning for this or preparing for that. I would rather burn off steam playing good ole PS2, pretty much a form of reward for me.

AntoineCoyote

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 AntoineCoyote
Member since 2008 • 297 Posts

A video game such as the Metal Gear Solid series can inspire, enlighten, and have an equally profound effect on someone such as a novel like Fahrenheit 451. MGS series definitely has affected my outlook on life. Now if he's talking about something like grand theft auto sand andreas then sure I could agree to an extent.

Also, I agree with Wesker. This world is overpopulated and we need to commit genocide of the human race through euthengetics. Good thing the global elite is already on that.

EmptySki

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#17 EmptySki
Member since 2004 • 3743 Posts

I think video games can be played by anyone. Being successful (whatever that actually means) does not mean you dont play games. Playing games is about enjoying something you like and escaping your world for another. It does not have to be negative. People read books still right?

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

We got in a discussion 2day at school about gaming, he stated that gaming and video g games r for pointless people and for people who r not wise or really successful in life. he also stated that gaming is a time wasting thing that wise/successful people do not do. he told me that his biggest proof is people like writers and scientists, they don't do such stupid stuff cuz they r wise and smart. in the end i thought of it.... and honostly ye i do not want my 50yr old father do that! thoughts & replies plz!milan22

Does he know the meaning of having fun? lol

these people are so arrogant and I know alot of people like this, they mock everything in life and they don't have a true meaning of living or life so I always make fun of them until they realize they are talking stupid ****.

I mean if he thinks gaming is a stupid waste of time then he doesn't have any hobby, he doesn't play any sports because he finds them to be stupid waste of time for example and if he play any kind of sports or have any kind of hobby then he is contradicting himself.

I hope he doesn't think of sex as a stupid waste of time too.

writers writes articles, books and stories for a living and they love what they do, scientists too and you can add to that game developers, if he thinks game developers are stupid or are wasting their time making games....no comment or I'd get modded.

Gaming is another form of entertainment wither he like it or not( btw it is the number one medium in the world right now), it is another way to have fun in life, you can call it a hobby too and millions and millions of people disagree with his opinion.

tycoonmike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 tycoonmike
Member since 2005 • 6082 Posts

So be it. I'm not about to change my ways because someone told me unsuccessful people play video games. If somone does tell me that, I just tell him my grades as well as to s*** it. If he says this again, just say "so be it."

Nifty_Shark

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Nifty_Shark
Member since 2007 • 13137 Posts

I wouldn't worry about it. Many people our age that don't care for games and I respect them for that. Sure they say things can can tick me off but I get what they mean.

Baron_Dweedle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Baron_Dweedle
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
People use gamer's as a scapegoat because they cannot get laid.
Oilers99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#23 Oilers99
Member since 2002 • 28844 Posts
I would ask him for proof. Surely, a wise and successful person such as him would never make such broad claims without irrefutable empirical evidence to prove him correct.
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 milan22
I would ask him for proof. Surely, a wise and successful person such as him would never make such broad claims without irrefutable empirical evidence to prove him correct.Oilers99
he says that the evident is people like doctors, teachers etc... imagine them playing video games and ps3! he says like that. i personally think that he exaggerated this whole thing, cuz i see gaming as a hobby to keep me relaxed.
gameoverr2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 gameoverr2004
Member since 2009 • 42 Posts

I think video games can be played by anyone. Being successful (whatever that actually means) does not mean you dont play games. Playing games is about enjoying something you like and escaping your world for another. It does not have to be negative. People read books still right?

EmptySki
i agree with empty ski that video games can be played by all humans and being successful does not mean you dont play games... i add this that it increses ur reflexes... and its sometimes important to make quick decisions.
Avatar image for Canvas_Of_Flesh
Canvas_Of_Flesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Canvas_Of_Flesh
Member since 2007 • 4052 Posts
He's entitled to his opinion. I don't agree with it, but it's his opinion.
nitsud_19

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 nitsud_19
Member since 2004 • 2519 Posts

I work on jet engines (3 product lines) and I play a lot of games. I balance rotors btw.

Ceraby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#28 Ceraby
Member since 2009 • 3306 Posts

We got in a discussion 2day at school about gaming, he stated that gaming and video g games r for pointless people and for people who r not wise or really successful in life. he also stated that gaming is a time wasting thing that wise/successful people do not do. he told me that his biggest proof is people like writers and scientists, they don't do such stupid stuff cuz they r wise and smart. in the end i thought of it.... and honostly ye i do not want my 50yr old father do that! thoughts & replies plz!milan22

I'd have to disagree. It seems like your friend knows very little about just how big and how influential gaming is. If you're a gamer and your friend isn't, it just sounds like your friend is trying to belittle you. From personal experience, I hang out with 30-ish year old people who run their own business, and/or are married already with jobs that allow them to enjoy every luxury in life ( they're in marketing, some in advertising, two people I know are chefs in 5 star hotels ) ; one person who loves gaming is a famous local theatre actor, and another guy I know is actually a well-known politician who is always looking for his friends to play Left For Dead with:?

In fact, since gaming is a such a huge industry nowadays and with such a large following, it might even be safe to say that in order to be successful in some aspects of life, you'd have to know about gaming in the first place.

07pops07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 07pops07
Member since 2008 • 552 Posts

i think the problem is alot of people never played the right game one day they tryed wii sports or somthing but if they had sat down and played

supre mario galaxy, crysis, mgs4, legend of zelda, type games then mabe there opinions would be diffrent

imo i think your friend is trying to sound high and mighty :|

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 milan22

i think the problem is alot of people never played the right game one day they tryed wii sports or somthing but if they had sat down and played

supre mario galaxy, crysis, mgs4, legend of zelda, type games then mabe there opinions would be diffrent

imo i think your friend is trying to sound high and mighty :|

07pops07
he just thinks of people under one measurement, he doesn't get that people r different from each other and not all of them want 2 be MalcolmX or da vinci .
pygmahia5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 pygmahia5
Member since 2007 • 7428 Posts
i dont think you can say "all these kinds of people do this." thats how racism and the holocaust started. one shouldnt generalize a mass amount of people. therefore, i think he is wrong.
Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#32 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

So he's scoured all the Earth, and determined that of all the "successful" (whatever that means) people on planet, none of them enjoy this particular hobby? He's discoveredthat strong a correlation? Or did he actually established some sort of causal link between gaming and "success"? Ask him to define success before you proceed.

Ask him how "time wasting" gaming is, compared with any other hobby. Really, what do I accomplish playing a round of golf? Tending my lawn? Putting ships in bottles? The whole point of a hobby is that you enjoy it, not that it accomplishes anything. Tell your friend he's an arrogant ass for thinking that one hobby has any more merit than any other.

Palantas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Palantas
Member since 2002 • 15329 Posts

[QUOTE="Oilers99"]

I would ask him for proof. Surely, a wise and successful person such as him would never make such broad claims without irrefutable empirical evidence to prove him correct.

milan22

he says that the evident is people like doctors, teachers etc... imagine them playing video games and ps3! he says like that. i personally think that he exaggerated this whole thing, cuz i see gaming as a hobby to keep me relaxed.

That's not empirical proof. Saying "Can you imagine someone doing this?" is not any sort of proof at all. That's not even anecdotal evidence. That's not sort of any evidence at all, and not even a bad debater would consider making such an argument. All you have to do is find one person who fits his definition of "success" (probably money-related) that likes gaming. That shouldn't be hard.

trx1961

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 trx1961
Member since 2009 • 280 Posts
u only need 4 things in life: 1) food 2) clothing 3) heat 4) shelter the rest is just gravy! and befre u start about transpotation, we have 2 legs to use dont we? (unless there deemed useless) as for sucess, i think its all a bouch of HOUEY!! overrated! it wont help us in the end anyways!
Dion2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Dion2k7
Member since 2007 • 1353 Posts
So i guess people who make video games for living, have lots of money from making games and play the games themselves are not successful. Need i say more?
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 milan22

[QUOTE="milan22"]

[QUOTE="Oilers99"]

Palantas

That's not empirical proof. Saying "Can you imagine someone doing this?" is not any sort of proof at all. That's not even anecdotal evidence. That's not sort of any evidence at all, and not even a bad debater would consider making such an argument. All you have to do is find one person who fits his definition of "success" (probably money-related) that likes gaming. That shouldn't be hard.

ye people r different in the end.
Lucas_BRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 Lucas_BRAM
Member since 2009 • 29 Posts

Milan, if you ask for other people's opinion there is going to be so many of them that you get really confused to what to do. Just relax your mind about it and be yourself, make the things you like without this feeling of guilty that everyone feels sometime. Don't care for the other people say, not even this friend of yours, really (you don't even has to care about what i'm saying right now). And be careful with what some other people tells you only to make you feel bad, don't guilty your friend with that, but is because some people don't realise how they are hurting the others (it's a kind of subconscious thing that people do when they are bad with themselves). Maybe all you should do is get away from this friend only for a time and regain some self high-esteem. Just be happy with responsibility.

P.S:if you found some English errors in this text it's because i'm not totally fluent in English, not yet.

Assassin_87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Assassin_87
Member since 2004 • 2349 Posts

Well, your friend is obviously very wise and successful.

lol, seriously though, gaming has no effect on anything else in your life unless it becomes an obsession. Also, if your friend doesn't play video games, he's in the minority. Trust me.

Lucas_BRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Lucas_BRAM

Oh! and about he said about people like doctors don't play video games, that's bulls***.

I want to be a doctor when I finish the school, and I study for that actually I normally have one of the biggest grades, and I just won't get what I want just because I play video games, even because this doesn't makes sense. Actually I play as the teacher sometimes for helping my friends that didn't get the subject (and some of them don't play video games).

And more, I just can be talking with you because of the video games, yes, I learned 70% or even more of my english playing video games. Actually i'm avanced in my english course here in Brazil because of the video games (really, i study even with some graduated people, but only in the english course, of course)

Video games are not my life, away from it, but I can't just ignore them when i don't have nothing to study, or do, or read (because I love reading).

Just have priorities in your life ok?

I hope I helped you a little, ah and believe God ;)

jjtiebuckle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#40 jjtiebuckle
Member since 2008 • 1856 Posts
If he wants to become wealthy for good intentions, then why again does he judge people's hobbies? I would find it extremely ironic if one day he drops a significant sum in Africa only to return 1 year later and find they spent a little on Qualcomm's new affordable gaming rig.. lol
Lucas_BRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Lucas_BRAM
Yes, I already read abaut it, you're right especially who plays trauma center;)
Cujo31

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Cujo31
Member since 2002 • 2884 Posts
[QUOTE="SEANMCAD"]

well first off I do know a pulp and paper engineer, and electrical engineer and a petrochemical engineer that play video games.

Plus in the area of software developers its not uncommon.

plus, I would ask him to explain what is "successful" and why is what he describes a "successful" important in the larger picture.

Most people who want to be "successfull" are haven't really considered the fact that they might actually have low self esteem and are really only interested in approval.

In short, does it really matter how much money you make in life?

second off, ask him what time in the history of mankind has something so revolutionary hit the masses?

third off, could it be possible that people who dont like games simply lack any sense of imagination?

I'm using your last point as a fav quote, love that point!
milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 milan22

Oh! and about he said about people like doctors don't play video games, that's bulls***.

I want to be a doctor when I finish the school, and I study for that actually I normally have one of the biggest grades, and I just won't get what I want just because I play video games, even because this doesn't makes sense. Actually I play as the teacher sometimes for helping my friends that didn't get the subject (and some of them don't play video games).

And more, I just can be talking with you because of the video games, yes, I learned 70% or even more of my english playing video games. Actually i'm avanced in my english course here in Brazil because of the video games (really, i study even with some graduated people, but only in the english course, of course)

Video games are not my life, away from it, but I can't just ignore them when i don't have nothing to study, or do, or read (because I love reading).

Just have priorities in your life ok?

I hope I helped you a little, ah and believe God ;)

Lucas_BRAM
thanks bro.. well said :)
cooldude1888

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#46 cooldude1888
Member since 2008 • 363 Posts

No offence here, mate but your friend sounds like a total and utter geek. Bragging on about all this geeky stuff.

Stick with gaming. Though dont live your life around games. Live life, get a life and dont be sad. Though at the

same time, play games as well. Live life, play games, do other things, go out, have fun and live life a bit more!

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts

Ok, I mis read the original post.

But ya, I think people like him should stop talking without knowing the facts.

People do that all the time, and I often embarrase them when I call them out on their ignorance.

Lucas_BRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Lucas_BRAM

No offence here, mate but your friend sounds like a total and utter geek. Bragging on about all this geeky stuff.

Stick with gaming. Though dont live your life around games. Live life, get a life and dont be sad. Though at the

same time, play games as well. Live life, play games, do other things, go out, have fun and live life a bit more!

cooldude1888

Hey thanks, especially in the part that you call me geek, that really made my day. Oh! And like, if you're not going to help, don't mess up too.

milan22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 milan22

[QUOTE="cooldude1888"]

Lucas_BRAM

Hey thanks, especially in the part that you call me geek, that really made my day. Oh! And like, if you're not going to help, don't mess up too.

he didn't call u geek bro... :(
Lucas_BRAM

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lucas_BRAM

oh! I thought that he said that to me... Uhmmm... Sorry, so.