What makes a gamer a hardcore gamer?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

TheRedStrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 TheRedStrike
Member since 2007 • 603 Posts
I've been wondering about that. What really makes someone a hardcore gamer?
dante_123456

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 dante_123456
Member since 2005 • 15011 Posts

hardcore gamer- plays more videogames than most (obviously), is very knoledgable when it comes to games, and is passionate about what they do (play games)

casual gamer- plays games ocasionally, or socialy with friends, doesn't really keep up with gaming news, etc.

A7Xfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 48

#3 A7Xfan
Member since 2004 • 3962 Posts
Hardcore I'd generally say is the ones who at least play games alot and then usually follow up with some knowledge about the developers behind their favorite games. EX: Halo players who talk about what Bungie's up to.

It's wierd I don't play NEARLY as much as most hardcore but whnever I play I always look for the hardest challenge possible. Like in Forza 2 I set traction control, stability control, that guiding line, and anti locks brakes to off. Then I do manual transmission. I also put AI on hard.
I also am interested in developing for games as I have a deep interest in knowing the industry and becoming involved. My other big specialty is music, I'm going to Berklee College of Music and hope to come out with a lot more knowledge for what I have to compose soundtracks for games (my ultimate goal.)

So what I'm trying to say is I think I'm a different kind of hardcore gamer. But the minimum you have to do is be great at one game and know the company behind it and be able to talk the company and/or that game.
Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts
Comprd to me, non ofu are what i call "teh hardcore." I'm the UBER1337$/-\uc3 and the quicker you realize it, teh better off u will b? so get out before i pwn u noobs rght betwen teh Is
Avatar image for Does_not_expire
Does_not_expire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Does_not_expire
Member since 2007 • 321 Posts
dedication and knowledge
ebbderelict

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 173

#6 ebbderelict
Member since 2005 • 3992 Posts
I've been wondering about that. What really makes someone a hardcore gamer?TheRedStrike
Myself, I know I'm a casual gamer. Most seem to agree that hardcore = time and knowledge. But what constitutes "a lot" of time? Where does Hardcore "a lot of time" start? And knowledgeable about games. Does that knowledge only have to consist of current gaming news, or do you have to be able to recite all of the mini games available in Lazy Jones for the C64? Perhaps hardcore is like hot and cold, and there is no official measurement you could go by, but there's a certain threshold that everyone can agree on. What's cold for some, is warm for others. 12 deg Celsius is arguable. -30 is not arguable, it's just cold. If you play all day on the weekends, but never during the week, you could be the most hardcore gamer in your circle of friends, making you in their eyes "hardcore". Meanwhile, in other circles, if you don't play every day for at least 4 hours, you're a tourist.
Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I would consider a hardcore gamer someone that plays games over and over again untell they master all the levels and unlock all the rewards. Someone that maybe plays game like 10 hours a day and knows everything about the games. Someone who maybe has more games than they do clothes. They could possible be the person that skips work just to beat a game. I don't know really, but just some ideas.
Funkyhamster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 Funkyhamster
Member since 2005 • 17366 Posts
It's sort of a subjective thing, I guess...
MKHavoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 MKHavoc
Member since 2007 • 1100 Posts

I consider a hardcore gamer someone that knows a lot about the industry and plays a lot of games.

Casual gamers might own one system and a couple of games, but doesn't really follow the news and trends in games.

Macolele

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Macolele
Member since 2006 • 534 Posts
Experience, knowledge and skill. But there's no decent to measure it.
XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

Someone who plays games more than casually or spends a lot of time doing gaming relatred things. Probably more than 15 hours a week or so.

I dont see how knowledge and skill have anything to do with it.

webby1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#12 webby1
Member since 2004 • 4014 Posts
They spend a lot of time playing games, can be very competetive more than likely owns a lot of systems and games. Just look at Jeff he has like thousands... or incredible knowledge like GregK who left GS :( he pretty much knew everything even like a name of a weapon or a level from a crazy japanese import that came out over 10 years ago. Most "hardcore gamers" will be really good, maybe naturally but also from training. I guess in some ways depending on what games you play you can be classed as hardcore. Like more casual gamers will prefer Madden etc. when a hardcore gamer will play more complex games but quite a few are known to play the casual games as well as the most hardcore ones.
Spazoid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Spazoid
Member since 2003 • 446 Posts

In my opinion, a hardcore gamer is someone who not only plays games, but understands games and constantly tries to improve. There are many people who claim to be "hardcore", yet their knowledge of games is very limited, they play Mario Kart all day, yet still have no clue what snaking is (a basic technique), how to get certain items, and blame everything on luck. While a true hardcore gamer with Mario Kart who played alot less, would easily beat the normal gamer that just claims to be 'hardcore' because he would know all of the strategies and when to use them, what position to be in to get the certain items they need to win, and never rely or blame things on luck.

Another thing that makes a gamer true hardcore is that they play to win, (Good article on this here)
They constantly are trying to improve and win. Being a 'hardcore' gamer is a status that many claim to be, but few achieve. They claim to be one of these because of many reasons, such as owning old systems, playing 'mature' games, or spending all their time playing games instead of with friends (cause they have none). Yet very few of them are actually 'hardcore' and just use this as an excuse to have no life.

Breaking it down.

True Hardcore

• Constantly improving.
  • Always playing to win.
  • Large knowledge of games and how they work etc.

Fake 'hardcore'

• Is happy with how they play, don't improve.
  • No/limited knowledge of games.
  • Claim to be due to unrelated reasons, like playing M games.
  • Very annoying.
  • Often are the fanboys.

Normal Gamer/Casual Gamer

• Plays games for fun.
  • Some knowledge of games.
  • Improving ussually, not focussing on this.
  • Not annoying.

Being hardcore has nothing to do with the amount of games one owns or plays, it is about the mindset the person has behind the games he/she plays.

XaosII

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 XaosII
Member since 2003 • 16705 Posts

I seriously dont see how can anyone think being ultra knowledgeable has to do with being hardcore, or "playing to win", or whatever.

Take this hypothetical situation:

A 60+ year old retired Art Director of a graphic design firm likes to pass some of the time playing flight sims. He only plays about 3 or 4 flight sims. Even though he's retired and has plenty of time to play, he only plays about 10 or 15 hours a week. Hes old and his reflexes arent very good, so he often times dies to things that most would consider easy to avoid or dogde. He stands no chance at playing online, but he legitimately enjoys playing the game as it is. Hes also not even a very big airplane enthusiast. Does that sound hardcore? Most people would say no.

As a retired Art Director with a lot of free time he decides to join in a modding community figuring he can put his decades of experience to use for something he enjoys. With all that free time he spends 30 hours, even 40 hours, a week working with his mod team putting his skills to work. Hes responsible, well-coordinated, heavily experienced, works well in the team, and puts out phenominal work. He still only plays 10 or 15 hours a week, if that. Is that hardcore? Hell yeah.

In fact, i'd argue that that old man is 3 times as hardcore as anything anyone else here has mentioned for what being a "hardcore" gamer is. My scenario has happened several times with the IL2 Sturmovik mod community.

rohver

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#15 rohver
Member since 2005 • 11848 Posts
Skills and knowledge and quick fingers.