What is the most immersed you have ever felt in a game's world?

Zuon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Zuon
Member since 2008 • 505 Posts

No genre limitation, but the nature of such a question naturally invites more fantasy RPGs than most other genres.

Still, the nature of the question is the same. What game out there felt like more than a game to you? Where you cared about the NPCs, from main narrative to shop clerks? Where you felt a sense of wonder just exploring the cities, lakes, and mountainsides? Where bits of secrets lay scattered behind the most unsuspecting alleyways?

Which games, to you, make you feel you were alive in the universe - as a fellow bystander, not just the 'chosen one.'

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#2  Edited By Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

That’s a tough one. But I’d say playing through Final Fantasy VII for the first time in 2019 was a magical experience. Even though it’s an older game, it ticked all the right boxes for me. I still can’t quite put my finger on why that game resonates with me so much. In a nutshell, I think the characters play a part in really making the game special. Without that combo, it’d still be good but just missing that something.

Other than that, I always love my time with DQ games. I get very homely vibes from them. A little easier to jump into than FF I find too.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#3 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

Anything in VR basically but as for a non VR game I would probably go with almost any GTA game starting with 3. Simple things like driving and listening to the car radio really brought up the immersion especially back in the day when it was new. Other things to like flying a jet in San Andreas going into cinematic camera angle mode while going through the clouds felt groundbreaking at the time.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#4  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

'Most' as in one game over all probably doesn't exist. But on an expanded note it's probably various Survival Horror games that immerse me the most. And mentioned as such in a previous thread about Favorite Aesthetics

Playing in the dark, my ATH-M40X headphones on, and wrapped in a blanket. Nothing more immersive to me for playing a video game, and I do this for anything horror related. Am glad Survival Horror has had a resurgence in 8th gen, 7th generation was pretty bad for this genre.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58305 Posts

Tough call. Not many games really immerse me, even in VR (as awesome as VR is, you're generally very aware you're wearing a headset and holding controllers).

Doom: Eternal is pretty close to fully immersive. I get that tunnel vision and I start holding my breath during tense moments, which is generally something that occurs when you are focusing on something and neglecting your surroundings.

Some flight sims get pretty close. In DCS World when I'm flying the A-10C and doing a gun run, getting ready to "brrrrrrrrt" some tanks, I have to focus and become "one with the plane" lol.

Loading Video...
pyro1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#6  Edited By pyro1245
Member since 2003 • 9397 Posts

Outer Wilds comes to mind... I'm not sure that's the best example tho.

Starshine_M2A2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 19

#7 Starshine_M2A2
Member since 2006 • 5593 Posts

Hellblade - mostly because it speaks to me personally. Not literally of course…

GNS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 GNS
Member since 2015 • 921 Posts

Vice City, GTA IV, Witcher 3, KOTOR I

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22375 Posts

There's a few that come to mind... the main ones being Bioshock (Rapture), Half-Life 2 (the whole world, but especially Ravenholm) & the Mass Effect universe.

Ottyandthedj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10 Ottyandthedj
Member since 2020 • 113 Posts

Mass Effect might have been one for me, Alan Wake was one that was almost completely good to me, especially given other things that were out at that time, it was immersive in that way. Mass Effect had a whole lot going for it to me though with the way the world's were accesible and how they were laid out. The citadel, and how you operate there and interact with other characters was something to remember. That game made me a fan of Bioware.

coolkid4ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 coolkid4ever
Member since 2021 • 14 Posts

breath of the wild

jedi fallen order

ori will of the wisps

Silentchief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Silentchief
Member since 2021 • 6865 Posts

TW3, RDR2, BotW, God of War, RE2 remake.

omegaMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 omegaMaster
Member since 2017 • 3479 Posts

Final Fantasy 8 - A world full of mysteries.

Final Fantasy 10 - A world of Blitzball

Gym_Lion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Gym_Lion
Member since 2020 • 2592 Posts

Superhot VR

bronzeheart92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 bronzeheart92
Member since 2017 • 129 Posts

Hmm, good question... While a game is a just a game in the end, I'm pretty sure there's definitely lots of locations that I myself would like to visit for real. Academia 4xx from FFXIII-2 fits the bill rather nicely.

palasta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 palasta
Member since 2017 • 1394 Posts

GOTHIC

Peasly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points