What happens to our DLC next generation?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

coughlanio

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

User Lists: 0

#1 coughlanio
Member since 2005 • 4306 Posts

Exactly what the topic says :)

N4smiley

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 N4smiley
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

I can see them charging more and more for DLC on XBL and PSN in the years too come, prices for the average game or add-on are already increasing.

djsundowner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#3 djsundowner
Member since 2006 • 995 Posts

I think the TC is wondering if the dlc we've paid for will be transferable to the next gen of consoles. I'd venture to say probably not, but that really only matters if you unload your old consoles when the new ones come out. Believe me, after getting rid of my NES, Genesis, & N64 and then since re-acquiring them, I would never get rid of a console again unless I knew I would be able to play everything on the next-gen console (like I got rid of my Gamecube & PS2 because I knew I'd be able to play those games on the Wii & PS3).

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44185 Posts

I strongly expect all three of the next gen systems to be fully backwards compatible so dlc will most likely be transferable to the next system.

MentatAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#5 MentatAssassin
Member since 2005 • 3007 Posts

I strongly expect all three of the next gen systems to be fully backwards compatible so dlc will most likely be transferable to the next system.

Archangel3371

This. I just cant imagine they'd go that far to rip people off and anger them.

Avatar image for AtomicTangerine
AtomicTangerine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 AtomicTangerine
Member since 2005 • 4413 Posts

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

MentatAssassin

Yeah, I bet with the new Xbox you could just stick the old hard-drive in somewhere anyway. The PS3 would require something else, but at the worst they could just let you redownload it on the new system.

ACMC85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 ACMC85
Member since 2009 • 338 Posts

It would make sense, since it would most likely be untied to hardware, but then publishers won't be making as much money anymore. We will have to wait and see. I doubt they will allow people easily transfer their libraries.

Mrha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mrha
Member since 2006 • 518 Posts

I don't know if they will. Example: I downloaded some DLC songs for Guitar Hero II. Once the new GH and Rock Band games came out, my DLC for GH2 was worthless because it wouldn't transfer to the new games and I wouldn't want to play GH2 anymore. If they aimed at having total backwards compatibility, maybe. Especially since these next-gen consoles have been delivering services that we've never experienced before, and a lot of our money is spent on things like DLC. But, I wouldn't be surprised if they didn't. Who knows what the next consoles will deliver in terms of technology?

nero_rules

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 nero_rules
Member since 2008 • 738 Posts

[QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

AtomicTangerine

Yeah, I bet with the new Xbox you could just stick the old hard-drive in somewhere anyway. The PS3 would require something else, but at the worst they could just let you redownload it on the new system.

I'd imagine that they'd just let your PSN account (with all prior purchases) carry over to the next system. They already do this, in a way, by letting you carry over purchases between the PS3 and PSP through one universal account.
c_rakestraw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 64

#10 c_rakestraw  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 14627 Posts

[QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

AtomicTangerine

I'd be fine with that, so long as they don't make you pay for all that content again, that is.

CarnageHeart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CarnageHeart
Member since 2002 • 18316 Posts

[QUOTE="MentatAssassin"]

[QUOTE="Archangel3371"]

AtomicTangerine

When I upgraded my PS3's internal hard drive, I backed up the old one to an external hard drive (its a menu option) and then after the larger drive was installed, I transferred the data to the new hard drive.