What games have made you question your own life?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

wswedin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 0

#1 wswedin
Member since 2006 • 198 Posts

My own choice will be an example of what I mean.

I choose Knights of The Old Republic for the reason that it made me think about not good or evil, but what are my motives for doing things. Am I making choices because they benefit others or because they benefit me? Consequently it has influenced my choice of education, I went from the goal of Mineral Exploration (high paying, lots of travel, very self-centric) to Earth Science Teaching. There were other factors but I think games like this definitely directed my decision making.

I know there are far more profound games than KoTOR, it was just strangely inspirational.

mrbojangles25

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 mrbojangles25
Member since 2005 • 58328 Posts

I don't believe any games have made me question my life, but some have raised questions about life in general. I can't really think of any off the top of my head: they're only games, after all, and they have not exactly made the same sort of progress that film and literature have. They're mostly about exploration, blowing shit up, having fun...that kind of thing. Even the best writing in video games is about as good as a solid B-movie or run-of-the-mill action flick.

With that said, I agree with you on KOTOR 1 and 2; the various choices, and commentary on them, really re-frames your perspective on certain things. I remember in KOTOR 2 when you got to Nar Shadaa, you encountered a homeless person asking you for help; you could help (light side) or I think encourage him to rob someone (dark), or be neutral, and either option had Kreia (your grumpy "Yoda-meets-grandma" in the game) commenting on it and the consequences. I Thought that was pretty insightful

Deus Ex, the original, probably had some of the best writing or at the very least best plot mechanics of any game I have ever played. The various conspiracy theories and near-future tech of the world--shadow governments, AI, robotics, nanotechnology--all made manifest in this wonderful film-noir dystopian, eerily believable world really kind of spooked me a little bit. Having that conversation with the AI Morpheus was one of the deepest, wow-I-don't-understand-what-we-are-talking-about moments in my gaming history.

TheHighWind

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 TheHighWind
Member since 2003 • 5724 Posts

Left 4 dead 2 believe it not. The graphics looked so real when I killed a "diseased" human with a shotgun, It made me think about humanity.

cablemodemx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

#4 cablemodemx2
Member since 2003 • 1000 Posts

Superman 64. It left me with the thought,"Is this really my chosen hobby?".

Valkeerie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Valkeerie
Member since 2013 • 326 Posts

Ico & Shadow of the Colossus. For some reason I knew that gaming did not have to be an addiction.

wswedin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 wswedin

@cablemodemx2: Lol nice, didn't expect that one

Yoshi9000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#7  Edited By Yoshi9000
Member since 2010 • 479 Posts

Pathologic for sure. Made me think how people should feel about death and the natural cycle of life. Should we accept our impermanence, or strive to overcome it, no matter how futile.
Needless to say, the reaction will vary from person to person, and usually differing views conflict.

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#8 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@wswedin said:

My own choice will be an example of what I mean.

I choose Knights of The Old Republic for the reason that it made me think about not good or evil, but what are my motives for doing things. Am I making choices because they benefit others or because they benefit me? Consequently it has influenced my choice of education, I went from the goal of Mineral Exploration (high paying, lots of travel, very self-centric) to Earth Science Teaching. There were other factors but I think games like this definitely directed my decision making.

I know there are far more profound games than KoTOR, it was just strangely inspirational.

No game, since gaming is entertainment and to have fun.

themajormayor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 themajormayor
Member since 2011 • 25729 Posts

Mass Effect 2

PimpHand_Gamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By PimpHand_Gamer
Member since 2014 • 3048 Posts

None. The only thing I question about life is whether or not I could have found a wife that likes to cook and clean.

wswedin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By wswedin

@Jacanuk: So you can only find inspiration doing... what exactly? Inventors and scientists have found inspiration in the bathtub, which using your logic, "is meant to get clean." In addition video games are considered by many to be an art form, and art aims to inspire, to provoke, or otherwise cause someone to think.

@themajormayor: Why?

@pimphand_gamer: Lol, fair enough.

JohnSantina

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12 JohnSantina
Member since 2014 • 34 Posts

It's a difficult one. There have been a few times I've been playing a game until the early hours wondering if it really is all worth it given I'd be up for work in a few hours.

When my daughter was born and I'd go to the hobby room to game I'd find myself sitting there questioning whether I'm a bad parent, etc. A game didn't make me consider that thought, it was gaming in general.

As far as games making me question my own life, I can't say there have been any - but a few have made me question who I am.

The Walking Dead is the prime example. The choices in that same are basically Lose-Lose and I felt like a horrible person after most of them. Mass Effect is another candidate - don't tell me you didn't try to sleep with both of the ladies.

John
@johnsantina
GrownGaming.com

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11671 Posts

Never from a story perspective.

I see and enjoy games more for the mechanics on display, rather than the philosophical meaning in what the writing team put together.

I'm not against a good tale, I just don't see it as an endearing process. Especially one that could build character. To me, that's not a good way to go in life. Stories are built on the foundations to be entertaining, not intended to live from and aspire.

Setting and atmosphere can get under my skin much more however, but that's more 'the feels' than 'I will follow this example'.

Back onto game mechanics, that speaks more my language, as I enjoy options and testing my reactions. The fundamentals of using those in-game controls teaches you that 'you can get better', 'check your options', 'think outside the box', 'don't give up'. . and that's a better message than stories based on imagination and fantasy.

I happily enjoy stories in games and other media, but believe taking it as teachings is an odd concept_

Jacanuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#14 Jacanuk
Member since 2011 • 20281 Posts

@wswedin said:

@Jacanuk: So you can only find inspiration doing... what exactly? Inventors and scientists have found inspiration in the bathtub, which using your logic, "is meant to get clean." In addition video games are considered by many to be an art form, and art aims to inspire, to provoke, or otherwise cause someone to think.

@themajormayor: Why?

@pimphand_gamer: Lol, fair enough.

No need to find inspiration from games, since again gaming is entertainment. Also no game has ever been "deep" enough to be of any use.

All the inspiration i need i find from books, education, job, family and friends.

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15 Archangel3371  Online
Member since 2004 • 44201 Posts

Final Fantasy VII, Final Fantasy VIII, Final Fantasy X, Chrono Trigger, Chrono Cross, and the Mass Effect trilogy immediately spring to mind as games that I found to be very profound and inspirational.