What Games Defined You As a Gamer?

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

I got the idea for this thread from another forum I frequent. Great topic, so I thought I'd share here.

I grew up with NES. So my list is gonna have a lot of those games:

-Super Mario Bros. (NES) - The first video game I truly fell in love with. Sure I played Atari 2600 before it, but it was just a way to pass time, I wasn't nearly as into as I was my NES. I played this game so much that it is forever ingrained into my eternal memory. I'm sure if I die of Alzheimer's, that this game's level-layout and music will be the last thing to go.

-The Legend of Zelda (NES) - At first, when I played this game, I didn't like it believe it or not. I was 7 years old, and I was expecting something like Super Mario Bros., and this wasn't it. Once I got over that and gave it a real chance, I became completely absorbed into it's world. Even my sister who normally wasn't into any video games except Super Mario Bros., was making maps with pen and paper of the dungeons.

-Bionic Commando (NES) - This had to be the most difficult game I had ever played up until that point. The game mechanics were so new and fresh at the time with the swinging arm as well. I played and played, and played this game until I had it memorized. And once I finally beat it, it felt like a huge accomplishment. I love it so much, I play through it still every now and then.

-Contra (NES) - This was the game of choice when friends came over. Pop that sucker in, do the 30 men cheat, and blow up some aliens together. Great fun.

-Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II: The Arcade Game (NES) - Much like above, great for the co-op action it provided. But this game was also cool because we played the frick out of the Arcade at Chuck E. Cheese as a kid, and could finally play it at home too.

-Super Metroid (SNES) - I seem to gravitate towards games that have a high emphasis on exploration. And this was the first game that really made me fall in love with that (other than Legend of Zelda). Super Metroid was an experience that you got deeply involved with, for me it was to the point that I turn friends away from hanging-out just to venture further into depths of Planet Zebes.

-Resident Evil 2 (PSX) - This game was creepy as heck for me, and my one of my first experiences with a 3D game, as it was one of the games my mom got with my PSX on my birthday. It was hard as heck too, because I was adjusting to a 3D game world after years of playing NES, SNES, and Genesis's 2D games. And movie scenes just blew-me away. Seeing the opening scene was amazing, and the movie-scene where you first see the Licker monster was awesome.

-King's Field (PSX) - Nobody else seems to have love for this series but me. But I'm absolutely in love with and still hope and pray for a King's Field IV. It is a unique action-RPG played from the first-person view with a high emphasis on exploration. It also conveys a great sense of solitude and figuring things out for yourself.

-Neverwinter Nights (PC) - This is my hack-n-slash RPG of choice. There's just so much to do, so many items, so many monsters, so many areas, so many NPCs, and a great mod-community and online-play community for this game. And I enjoy the original more than the sequel. This is a Forgotten Realms title as well, and as such uses the Dungeons & Dragons rule set and world.

-Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind (XBox) - This game was the biggest, most epic, most open-ended RPG I had ever played up until that point. I never had any idea a video game could be so grand in scope. I was immeadatly sucked-in after seeing it at my best friends house and was sold on getting an XBox. I had one the following week with Morrowind in hand, as well as Spider-Man and Halo: Combat Evolved. I loved the game so much that Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion for PC became the first game I ever pre-orderd, and I'm going to pre-order Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim for XBox 360 this week.

Honorable Mentions: Crystalis (NES), Super Mario World (SNES), X-Men: Mutant Apocalypse (SNES) Sonic the Hedgehog (Genesis), Halo: Combat Evolved (XBox), Mega Man 2 (NES), Ninja Gaiden II: The Dark Sword of Chaos (NES), Spider-Man (PSX), Golden Axe (Arcade)

bigM10231

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#2 bigM10231
Member since 2008 • 11240 Posts

super mario world

zelda LttP

power rangers the movie

TMNT Turtles in time

Daavpuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

#3 Daavpuke
Member since 2009 • 13771 Posts
Mario Bros (Atari 2600) Super Mario World Legend Of Zelda: A Link To The Past Sid Meier's Pirates! (C64) Diablo II Quake amongst many others, of course, but these were before PSOne as I figured by the time I'm 12 it should've been defined by then.
snes_vs_ps1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 320

#4 snes_vs_ps1
Member since 2009 • 10359 Posts

2 Titles stand out for me:Super Mario World on the SNES & Tomb Raider 1 on the PS1.

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#5 Darkman2007
Member since 2007 • 17926 Posts

thats hard to say, Prince of Persia was one of the first games I played (not quite sure if its the first, it could be Golden Axe or TMNT2 Arcade as well), so thats a candidate.

Fusionmix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Fusionmix
Member since 2010 • 1656 Posts

Descent 1 and 2 on PC - My first FPS games, which completely spoiled the rest of the genre for me. After trichording around pillars upside down underwater while shooting robots with plasma cannons, walking with my feet on the floor and holding a boring old machine gun seemed pretty banal.

Phantasy Star II - I hated RPGS. Hated them. And then I played this, and discovered that I could buy sonic guns. Guns. In an RPG. This game is to blame for getting me into JRPGs, and RPGs in general.

Jak II - My first PS2 game, and one of the hardest and best platformers I've ever played. Has awesome voice acting, a surprisingly good story, and neat music. I compare pretty much every platformer I play to it. I'm afraid to try and replay it for fear of it not being half as good as I remember.

Super Mario 64 - OMFG LOOK HOW BIG IT IS. I just remembered being utterly awed by this game. Too bad the DS remake had all the soul sucked out of it.

Metroid Prime - The game that made me realize that FPS could be kind of awesome. And the graphics when it came out seemed photorealistic.

Avatar image for Emerald_Warrior
Emerald_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Emerald_Warrior
Member since 2008 • 6581 Posts

Descent 1 and 2 on PC - My first FPS games, which completely spoiled the rest of the genre for me. After trichording around pillars upside down underwater while shooting robots with plasma cannons, walking with my feet on the floor and holding a boring old machine gun seemed pretty banal.

Fusionmix

Wow, I totally forgot about that game. I played the heck out of it in middle school. We had it networked through all the computers at our school and played it against each other after we'd finish out typing-lessons for that day's class. It was also my first experience with a multiplayer game that wasn't 2-player or an arcade cabinet. Tons of fun.

Koi-Neon-X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#8 Koi-Neon-X
Member since 2009 • 2148 Posts

The video games, in no particular order, that define me as a video gamer are....

1. Super Mario Bros. Super Mario Bros. (NES) even though I started off on the Atari 2600 it wasn't until the Nintendo 8-Bit system that I REALLY started getting into video games (READ: LOVING THEM). I'll never forget the first time I saw and played the game on the NES because it was the first.

2. Super Mario Bros. 2 Super Mario Bros. 2 (NES) I remember how much I anticipated this sequel and how much a demand there was for the game (my Mother had to literally fight to get this game as people wanted it so badly) and it is a worth sequel in every way. I loved the fact that I can use Mario, Luigi, Princess Peach, and Toad and the fact that they all have their unique abilities.

3.Super Mario Bros. 3 Super Mario Bros. 3 (NES) I remember when this particular video game was revealed in the movie "The Wiz" and I couldn't believe my eyes!:o the new abilities like the racoon tail, frog suit, and hammer bros suit, and the new unique stages make this one a winner.

4.Gun.Smoke Arcade Gun.Smoke (Arcade) I spent a TON of quarters on this game. It was fun and it was challenging. I remember each boss (my favorite boss is Ninja Darts) hardest level and boss (Wolf Chief Shot Gun) and the thrill of reaching the final stage (Wingate Family Machine Gun and Rifle) and finishing the game. I found an early easter egg/glitch on the second level too: after defeating Roy Knife if you ran him over with the horse he would come back to life and have a huge amount of energy!

5.The Legend of Zelda The Legend of Zelda (NES) I fell in love with this game the minute I experienced the title screen. I experienced this game for the first time when I went to a friend's house (he had the best video games) and he started playing it and I was just in awe. As much as I wanted to borrow it I really couldn't as I felt I would be imposing so I immediately asked for it for my birthday or Christmas. It is a must-have game and a true treasure.

6.Super Metroid Super Metroid (SNES) I love the original, but "Super Metroid" is, by far, one of the best video games ever made. It's a complete package: characters, graphics, music, story, and gameplay. I don't exaggerate when I say that some games of the present era cannot compete with this masterpiece. It's definitely in my top-ten of favorite video games of all time and that will never change.

7.Final Fantasy III Final Fantasy III (SNES) my love for the "Final Fantasy" series began here. I read the previews for this game and I knew in my heart this was going to be something special so I save up money for it and bought it. Few games can really illicit emotion the way this one does. You care about the characters and the story, you are enraptured by the graphics and music, and not to mention the fact that once you become a part of this world you become addicted. A beautiful perfect "10".

8.Mega Man 2 Mega Man 2 (NES) I played the original and was impressed. I played this sequel and was BLOWN AWAY. The intro alone is worth the price of admission yet you get so much more like awesome robot masters, cool powers after their defeat, graphics that pushed the system to its limits, the music for every stage was excellent (I love the Bubble Man stage music), and the challenge where it wasn't too tough or too easy. I feel it's the best entry in the series.

9.Castlevania: Symphony of the Night Castlevania: Symphony of the Night (PS1) I honestly didn't know what to expect from this entry in one of my favorite series. I had no idea about the concept that was later to be known as "MetroidVania" I do know this: it's an adventure I am happy to play over and over again simply because it has the greatest graphics and gameplay. The boss fights are epic. The star of the show for me? the soundtrack. It..is BEAUTIFUL. So beautiful that I had to buy the Original Soundtrack just so I could listen to it when I'm NOT playing. My favorite track? "Crystal Teardrop" because I love that stage too, but I love them all! Michiru Yamane (composer/musician) is a creative genius.

10.Final Fantasy VII Final Fantasy VII (PS1) I can't use enough positive words to describe this game. Everything about this video game is perfect. It's another example of how characters, graphics, music, and story when blended beautifully a masterpiece is created. It's also another game where the soundtrack plays an important role (and another soundtrack I simply had to own). It's a journey that I won't ever forget from beginning to end and for those of you who have yet to embark on it I envy you:) my favorite track here is "Secret of the Deep Sea" and the reason being is that it's such a simple melody that is so relaxing it just takes me to a different place. I hope it's never remade simply because it's perfect as is.

11.Super Mario World Super Mario World (SNES) the one major reason why the Super Nintendo is my favorite video game system. It's also the very game that came WITH the system! DEAL!:o this game is pure magic from start to finish really and there was always something new around the corner. It elevated the series to a completely different level. It's colorful and vibrant not to mention a lot of fun. I love the "Super Mario Bros." series and this is yet another reason why.

12.Castlevania Castlevania (NES) a new series to me at the time and yet fighting Dracula seemed like a natural thing to do and was I correct in that assessment. The game of course had the graphics, the gameplay, the appropriate soundtrack, and great boss fights so how could I not love it? the original always has a place in my heart and this series is no exception.

13.Chrono Trigger Chrono Trigger (SNES) I saw the previews, looked at the screenshots, and took a chance and was greatly rewarded with one of the best RPG games ever made. I'm sure by now you notice a trend here: I love great characters, graphics, music, gameplay, and story. The video game pictured here has it ALL OVER! favorite music track? "Secret of the Forest" is, by far, my favorite. I'm glad I can enjoy this one via "Final Fantasy Chronicles" on the PS1 because it's awesome and has definitely stood and will continue to stand the test of time.

14.Mega Man X Mega Man X (SNES) I didn't think it could get any better than "Mega Man 2". I was completely wrong of course when Mega Man X made its debut. What can I possibly say about this game? I remember the vibrant graphics, the ultra-cool robot masters, the Dr. Light upgrades, and the pumping soundtrack (I love the Storm Eagle stage and music and the Launch Octopus stage--love those underwater levels)

15.Valkyria ChroniclesValkyria Chronicles (PS3) "Valkyria Chronicles" is one of the JEWELS that shine bright, too bright to ignore (yet unfortunately some people don't share that same level of interest) and it is sad because what we have here is a game that brings you into a war that, after getting to know the circumstances and characters, you really, really want to win. It's beautiful graphics, it's strategic brilliance, characters that, that are unique, once killed in combat, and not revived-- stay deceased. I love this game for a lot of reasons mainly because it's really, really good.

16.Civilization II Civilization II (PS1) I missed the opportunity to get into this brilliant series early on and I wasn't about to make the same mistake when I found out it was on the PS1. I jumped at the chance to own it and spent many, many hours (sometimes from the beginning of the day to the start of the night) I love micro-managing things like resources and troops. I love expanding an empire and developing wonders. A D D I C T I V E!

17.Sonic The Hedgehog Sonic The Hedgehog (SG) it was a great time to love platform-adventure games because they truly reigned supreme. I still remember going to my friend's house because he told me he had this game and so I went over, he had a nice audio/visual set-up, and commenced to playing it. The colors (I had a headache after watching it) and the soundtrack were unbelievable! then came the special stage (!) my mind couldn't really comprehend what I was seeing! good memories and a fine game.

18.Streets of Rage 2 Streets of Rage 2 (SG) Yes, I could have gotten a box-shot of this game, but I wanted two names to take center stage: Sega and Yuzo Koshiro. I have always loved beat'em up games (ever since "Double Dragon" on the NES), but here we have great fighting action AND a pulse-pounding soundtrack (BEST: Never Return Alive) it's just a perfect mix.

19.Harvest Moon: Back to Nature Harvest Moon: Back to Nature (PS1) another series that escaped my attention in the early years and again: one I wasn't going to miss. The charm of this game cannot be denied and the simplicity is so easy to embrace that you find yourself farming for hours. Is it repetitive? sure it is but that's part of the fun (at least for me) is taking care of the crops, brushing and petting the animals, getting to know the locals, and doing it is in all a day's work.

20.Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island Super Mario World 2: Yoshi's Island (SNES) how do you follow-up on the perfection that is "Super Mario World"?! Shigeru Miyamoto had an answer and it's this beautifully designed game. I LOVE the artistic design of this game! granted, I didn't enjoy Baby Mario crying, but who cares! it's like playing inside a coloring book!:) go down a pipe in World 1-1 and you're transported to an underground level with waterfalls flowing in the background. It's simply gorgeous and another reason why the SNES is the best.

~Thank you for reading~

God Bless.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#9 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

If I had to pick one single game to define me, it would be "LUNAR: SILVER STAR STORY".

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Darkman2007

If I had to pick one single game to define me, it would be "LUNAR: SILVER STAR STORY".

TheKungFool
that game is awesome, I don't own the original Mega CD version , but I do own the Saturn , PS1 and PSP versions . the Saturn version has better music, but the PS1 version has better FMVs. also its in english which always helps :P , though I have managed to play through much of Lunar Saturn , and have finished Eternal Blue on the Saturn too (which again has better music)
skooks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11 skooks
Member since 2006 • 1411 Posts

Toejam and Earl (Mega Drive) - first ever game that really gave me a taste for exploration, as well as for games that were a little bit different.

Super Mario Bros. 2 / F-Zero (SNES) - I didn't have a SNES of my own as a kid but I would play these every single day after school in the store my mum worked at. I'd play for a couple of hours until my mum finished work and it was time to go home.

Tony Hawk's Pro Skater (PS1) - In my early teens me and my friends were big skaters and this game and its sequals were all we played / talked about / tried to emulate trick-wise for a long time.

Quake II (PS1) - My first ever FPS. Spawned my love for sci-fi FPSs.

Final Fantasy VII (PS1) - My first RPG, a genre that would go on to compete for my favourite.

Grand Theft Auto: San Andreas (PS2) - The areas were huge and it was just so fun, I put countless hours in and still wanted more. When reading about or choosing sandbox games today I still look for something that can emulate the feeling and enjoyment I got from San Andreas.

TheKungFool

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#12 TheKungFool
Member since 2006 • 5384 Posts

[QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

Darkman2007

that game is awesome, I don't own the original Mega CD version , but I do own the Saturn , PS1 and PSP versions . the Saturn version has better music, but the PS1 version has better FMVs. also its in english which always helps :P , though I have managed to play through much of Lunar Saturn , and have finished Eternal Blue on the Saturn too (which again has better music)

Yeah, I just simply love this game.

My original experience with it was the PSone remake, though I've just recently picked up an original SegaCD copy to play on my CDX

I've very interested to sink my teeth into the SCD version, if for nothing than the intrigue of comparing it to the PSone version I've played so many times

Darkman2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Darkman2007

[QUOTE="Darkman2007"][QUOTE="TheKungFool"]

TheKungFool

Yeah, I just simply love this game.

My original experience with it was the PSone remake, though I've just recently picked up an original SegaCD copy to play on my CDX

I've very interested to sink my teeth into the SCD version, if for nothing than the intrigue of comparing it to the PSone version I've played so many times

sadly the Mega CD version was never released here in Europe. actually none of the versions other then the PSP one made it here. I don't know, I think ive got enough versions of Lunar :P Saturn, PS1 and PSP is probably more then most to be honest.
F0urTwenty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 F0urTwenty
Member since 2010 • 1842 Posts
You guys said them all already, I'm with you guys ;).
CellAnimation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 CellAnimation
Member since 2007 • 6116 Posts
I grew up with arcades so; Space Invaders Galaga Donkey Kong Gauntlet ... the list could go on for ages ...
chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#16 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Sonic the Hedgehog: It got me very intrested in gaming and I have been a Sonic fan since.

Sonic 2:The best game in the series and it is still fun to play even now.

Super Mario Bros 3: I love this game my avatar says so plus it holds alot of memories

Tetris:One of the most addictive games ever

Street Fighter 2 Turbo Hyper Fighting:One of the fighters ever.

Mortal Kombat 2: Trying to learn the finishing moves took ages to master

MUSH_IS_PWNs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 MUSH_IS_PWNs
Member since 2009 • 1213 Posts
Urbz Sims in the City The Sims Bustin' Out Spyro 2 Ripto's Rage Spyro 3 Year of the Dragon Fallout 3 Mass Effect The Legend of Zelda Ocarina of Time
AcidSoldner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 AcidSoldner
Member since 2007 • 7051 Posts

1.Sonic the Hedgehog 2: Sonic is what got me into gaming as a kid. When I was around 6 or 7 I would go to my cousins house and play Mario Bros and Zelda but it wasn't until I got my own Genesis with Sonic 2 did I really get sucked in. I played and completed every single Sonic games on the Genesis to 100%. Hell with Sonic 3 and Kunckles I beat that game with every character and got every super emerald for every character. That's essentially beating the game and attaining 100% 5 times :P

2. Pokemon Red and Gold: I kind of hate to admit it now but I'd be a fool to dismiss this game or series (early series) as having defined me as a gamer. It was my real jump into RPGs and I was addicted as a kid. I would spend hours setting up strategies and teams for defeating my friends and countless more catching rare Pokemon just so I could rub it in their faces:lol:

3. The Elder Scrolls III: Morrowind:

This game was the biggest, most epic, most open-ended RPG I had ever played up until that point. I never had any idea a video game could be so grand in scope. Emerald_Warrior

That pretty much sums up how I felt. Up to that point my biggest exposures to RPGs had been a few linear JRPGs (mostly Pokemon lol) so once I fired up Morrowind I was completely sucked in and never turned back. I've actually only beat the main quest once but I'm pretty sure I made over half a dozen characters and poured hundreds of hours into each of them. There's just so much **** to do in that game and not to mention all of the mods available from the community; truly and endless game.

4. Medal of Honor: Allied Assault: This game not only defined me as a gamer and started my love affair with FPSs but it also spawned my love of history. I had played the demo at a friends house and immediately had my dad purchase it for my birthday the next month. It was such a cinematic game that there where levels that I would play over and over again such as the D-Day landings and the mission in which you hunt down the German Nebelwerfer rocket installations. After I beat the game I started gobbling up and reading any books on WWII that I could get my hands on; I was 12 years old. I can honestly say that because of this game that I am now a history major in college.

5. Golden Sun: When I first purchased my GBA I had no games for it and pretty much used it as a glorified Gameboy Color; I had used up all my allowance money on the GBA itslef. When I finally scrounged up some more money I headed to Wal-Mart to purchase my first GBA game. Golden Sun's cover art really caught my eye so I snatched it up. For about a year on from that day, I played nothing else but Golden Sun. While all of my friends where discussing loot drops in Diablo 2, I was searching around for the next best Djinn. I had a few other friends who played Golden Sun but I'm pretty sure they all got sick of me because Golden Sun was all I wanted to talk about :D

Euaggelistes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 Euaggelistes
Member since 2009 • 1826 Posts

Atari 2600: Donkey Kong, Donkey Kong Jr. and Q*Bert. These games helped me to develop what I call a gamers will to win. It is the one quality that I have that my two brothers lack which is why I was a much better gamer than either of them. When I first started playing these games as a kid I stunk at them but I was determined to get better. Eventually I could play them without losing until I got bored. Oddly enough none of these titles were among my favorite for the old Atari. I really loved Smurfs Save the Day and Combat. Go figure.

NES: Super Mario Bros. 2 and Bionic Commando. Super Mario Bros. 2 was the first game I ever beat and remains my second favorite game in the franchise behind Super Mario 64. The ability to switch characters added a layer of strategy to platformers that obviously was absent in the first Super Mario Bros. Bionic Commando was ridiculously difficult but that will to win triumphed in the end and I managed to beat what is still one of my favorite games for the old NES.

Super NES: I think I spent more time playing F-Zero than any other game inthe history of video games. Still the best racing game on the market today. Street Fighter II gave me a chance to prove my dominance of this game to all comers. Pilot Wings launched my fascination with oddball games that most people tend to write off.

Nintendo 64: Super Mario 64 remains the greatest game ever created and really served to define me as a platformer at heart. Platforming remains my favorite game genre to this day. My 100% completion of Blast Corps. is an accomplishment I am still proud of. Some of those levels were brutal.

After the N64 I was pretty much well defined as a gamer and while there have been plenty of great games since none of them have had an impact on me like these older games.

cprmauldin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#20 cprmauldin
Member since 2009 • 1567 Posts

Champions of Norrath (PS2)- The first game that turned me totally hardcore. I played this game for so many hours on end, doing different runthroughs using different classes and skills. A terrific RPG (just got done givng it another playthrough actually).

Morrowind (XBOX)- Another RPG that sucked hours out of my life and made me into the Hardcore gamer I am today.

Double_Wide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 212

#21 Double_Wide
Member since 2006 • 1985 Posts

Final Fantasy Tactics- Brings out my more deep, strategic, and religious side. It also helped me to become a more versital gamer since I never had any interest in playing strategy games before it. Its also my favorite game of all time :D

Grand Theft Auto III- Allowed me to explore dimensions of my darkside I didn't know existed :twisted:

Chrono Trigger- The first real RPG I actually gave a chance...I've been a fan of the genre ever since

Pokemon- I love collecting and customizing things. Need I say more?

Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles II- Not only was I Turtle fan growing up but this was just an awesome beat'em up to play either on the arcade or on NES

Pole Position (2600)- My first game ever!

Super Mario Bros.- The game that really started it all for me as a gamer.

Kirby's Dreamland and Adventure- These 2 games are still some of the best I've ever played and my childhood is filled with memories of enjoying these games

WWF Attitude, ECW Anarcy Rulz, and Crash Team Racing- All of these titles really brought out my competitive side when it comes to gaming

Altered Space (GB)- Man, I wanted this game so bad as a kid and didn't find it until I was in college. I'm still happy to finally own it now :)

The Megaman X series- I would always imagine how it would be if an anime film of the whole series was made.

Kid Icuras (GB)- It took me 3 or 4 years to final get pass the Minotaurs lair! This taught me to never give up on a game because I'm stuck...to always find a way to overcome whatever is in my way, by any means necessary :P

superdum2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 superdum2
Member since 2009 • 1558 Posts

turok (series)

jak (series)

simpsons hit and run

bugs life: im seriouse this game stuck me in the ribs it was so fun

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#23 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

Super Mario Bros 3- I think this might have been the first game I ever played, and I loved it

Zelda: A Link to the Past- I was still pretty young when I played this game first, but I was old enough to actually play the game, don't remember if I ever beat it though.

Zelda: OoT- First time I really got into a game. I loved this game. I played it so many times and for so long and so much. Only beat it once though.

Final Fantasy X- I think this game is the one that made me become a gamer. Because this game was the first one where I felt like I was emotionally invested to the story. I remember playing this game for months on my first playthrough, I know it shouldn't take that long. but oh well. To this day I've beaten that game at least 5 or 6 times.

Resident Evil 4- I loved this game. I played it like crazy. I know capcom is enjoying my money because I've bought this game like 4 times, and I'm about to buy it again. Somehow I keep getting rid of it :(

mefusa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 mefusa
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Sonic the hedgehog 1-2 Super Mario Bros. 1-3 Streets of rage 1-3 (but mainly 2)
Paco8byu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#25 Paco8byu
Member since 2010 • 522 Posts

Super Mario 64

Pokemon Yellow and Crystal

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#26 chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

Crash 1 to 3: Excellent platformers

Spyro 1 to 3: Same as Crash excellent platformers

Mario 64:Groundbreaking and excellent. Still holds up well.

Super Mario Kart:Excellent kart racer

Crash Team Racing:I love it and I have it downloaded on PSN.

A_Mobile_Doll

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 A_Mobile_Doll
Member since 2009 • 919 Posts

TMNT 4: Turtles in Time

Donkey Kong Country 2: Diddy's Kong Quest

Super Mario World

Goldeneye 007

Mario Kart 64

Super Mario 64

Syphon Filter

Final Fantasy VII

Metal Gear Solid

Dynamite Cop

Jet Set Radio

Marvel vs. Capcom 2

Dead or Alive 2: Hardcore

Grand Theft Auto III

NCAA Football series

Call of Duty 2

Grand Theft Auto IV

Second_Rook

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#28 Second_Rook
Member since 2007 • 3680 Posts

I would say that Nightstalker established a precedent of fear, setting me up to later fall in love with Alone in the Dark and the survival horror genre.

There are plenty of others but Nightstalker was my first "favorite" game and I still seek the tension I experienced when your fort is being shot to hell by an invisible robot while bats and spiders surround you. Really man it was just an awesome game.... (now I'm daydreaming)

Samslayer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Samslayer
Member since 2005 • 1852 Posts
Pretty easy for me...I think Astrosmash MK2 World Series Baseball FF7 Star Ocean Legend of Legaia Resident Evil Series Doom Doom II Quake
AjarnLenny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#30 AjarnLenny
Member since 2009 • 260 Posts

Intellivision: Nightstalker, B-17 Bomber, Frog Bog, Tron deadly discs

C64: Bard's tale, Impossible Mission, Barbarian, Bruce Lee, The Way Of The Exploding Fist, Platoon, Archon, Elite, Pirates!,

Amiga: Defender of the crown, Moonstone, Cannon fodder, Lemmings, Might and Magic, Super Cars 2, Speedball 2

Playstation: G-police, Final Fantasy 7, Tekken series, Vandal hearts, Silent Hill, Resident Evil

Sega Master System: Shadow Of The Beast, Phantasy Star

Snes: Rock'n Roll Racing

PC: Delta Force, Warcraft, Starcraft

Also ALL (including the bad ones) of the TSR licensed games I guess shaped my preference of gaming.

I've probably forgotten many, but these are the ones I can think of now.

OneBadLT123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 OneBadLT123
Member since 2005 • 1152 Posts

GREAT Thread idea OP... Kudos

My list can be very,very long but I will keep it short for the sake of time

Super Mario Brothers & Duck Hunt - NES

I mean what else is there to say that has not been already said? This was the first video game I remember playing. It's what got me hooked on gaming, and the rest is history

Super Mario Brothers 2 - NES

At the time, I had no idea this was the bastard of Mario games. I really though it was part 2 so when I played it, I absolutely loved it. Probably my 2nd game ever. I got it for Christmas the year it came out, so it was amazing. Before this game, all I played with the original SMB/Duck Hunt

Mega Man 2 - NES

Ahh this game, I remember when my friend down the street brought it over during a sleep over. We were up all night until the sun came up playing it, trying to beat Wile's castle. But we couldn't do it before we had to return the game back to the rental place. But after that I was hooked, my mom went to go buy it for me but accidentally got something else, which leads me to....

Mega Man 3 - NES

... My mom went to get me a game for my birthday, and I asked for MM2. But what she came home with was MM3. I was a little disappointed, but that was short lived. This game was probably the pinnacle of NES gaming for me. This game was MY game. I loved it so much, I played it non stop. MM2 got me into the series, but this game made me fall in love with it. A bond that I have with little ol Rockman today. I will forever cherish this game in my collection and still randomly I catch myself humming the tunes from it. Because of this game and MM2 I owned all of the first 5 MM games. (Never got a chance to own MM6)

Super Mario Brothers 3 - NES

Again, not much to add what has not been already said. After MM3 this was probably my 2nd most loved game. My grandmother purchased it new for me a year or so after it came out. I dont want to say much because I think we can all relate to this game. It was truley was an amazing game and will be for the test of time.

The Legend Of Zelda - NES

Again, another game that needs no explanation. Up until about 7 or 8 years ago I was unable to finish this game. Not because I couldn't over the years, Is that this was my last NES game that I really had a connection to, never finished it when I was younger then gave away my NES to my cousin in Europe. I never again saw it and until about 2002'ish when I bought a replacement for myself and those games.

Super Mario World - SNES

This game, in my opinion is probably the best Mario Game ever with Super Mario 3 right behind. The world was amazing, the graphics were amazing, and so was the music. Everything was just perfect. And it came with the SNES I got after giving away my NES. It was the perfect replacement!

Super Mario Kart - SNES

This game, along with the next game listed were the pinnacle of my SNES gaming experience. I was absolutely in love with SMK from the moment I played it at the Wal-Mart demo station. I was in love with it and had to have it. This game is also tied into another SNES gaming device (later on the list below) and you will understand why. I was the absolute KING of this game, until one purple box changed everything

Street Fighter 2 - SNES

For the longest time I was only able to play this game at my local McDonald's. When this came out on SNES I was stoked beyond belief. Everything I dreamed of came true when I bought this game (and its subsequent counterparts) It was amazing

Sunset Riders - SNES

I loved this arcade and its probably one of the most underrated games ever. Sure it was popular in arcades, but it never had that "IT" factor. I absolutely loved it and played countless of hours with my friends. So many memories with this game.

NBA Jam/NBA Jam TE -SNES

I was the biggest basketball fan ever. During the time this game was out, I was living in Houston Tx, when the Houston Rockets were winning NBA championships. To finally play a fun arcade NBA game with my favorite players was amazing. This game I spend countless hours just going through the season, and looking at magazines to find out all the secret codes for the secret characters. It was awesome

XBand - SNES

Not very many people know what this little device was. But it opened up a whole new world of gaming to me. At the time, I never realized what kind of historical thing I had in gaming. XBand brought multiplayer on line via dial up modem to the 16-bit era. I was now able to test my skills on Mario Kart, Super Street Fighter, Killer Instinct, and NBA Jam TE with people across the city, and even country. This is where I spent my hours on with Mario Kart and NBA Jam. Making top 15 in the country multiple times. Meeting a couple a friends I know today, and opening up the world of gaming not seen on anything other than the PC. It was amazing indeed.

I will make part 2 of this post later. This has taken longer than expected so I will finish it later...

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#32 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts
The legendary Pokemon Red/Blue opened the gates for my long journey of vid games.
Beard_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Beard_
Member since 2010 • 1066 Posts

In my earliest days it was Castlevania, StarTropics, and Section-Z.

Later it was Super Star Wars, Pilot Wings, and the DKC series.

Still later it was Gran Turismo, MGS and the PS1 Spyro games.

Most recently it would be Star Ocean 3, FFX and Persona 3.

Also I Wanna be the Guy and I Wanna Be the Fangame.

I wouldn't list anything from this gen yet, as it's hard to tell if these games will have any permanent effects on my gaming as of now.

elgobbes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#34 elgobbes
Member since 2005 • 98 Posts

I would say Star Voyager would define me as a gamer, because after playing that pile I still had confidence to buy more games.

Avatar image for turtlethetaffer
turtlethetaffer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 144

#35 turtlethetaffer
Member since 2009 • 18973 Posts

Ocarina of Time got me into gaming, and Majora's Mask made me fall in love with it. I guess you could say those games did.

However, my friends and I would play Super Smash Brothers Melle all the time (and there's not much hyperbole in that statement), so I guess that defined me as a multiplayer guy.

funkymonkey17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 funkymonkey17
Member since 2010 • 59 Posts

Mercenaries 1 (xbox)

halo 2

super mario rpg

wwf no mercy(n64)

rush 2(n64)

:D

janson2185

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 janson2185
Member since 2007 • 188 Posts

maniac mansion(nes)

super mario bros(nes)

contra(nes)

street fighter 2(genesis)

sonic(genesis)

metal gear solid(ps1)

nba jam(genesis)

syphon filter(ps1)

nooblet69

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#38 nooblet69
Member since 2004 • 5162 Posts

Too many to mention but a few would probably be Final Fantasy 7, Goldeneye 007, Halo: Combat Evolved, Age of Empires 2, Diablo 2 LOD, warcraft, etc etc.

magnusm1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 magnusm1
Member since 2009 • 918 Posts

The MGS-series and AC-series had a huge inpact on me.

TheTrueMagusX1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#40 TheTrueMagusX1
Member since 2009 • 2560 Posts

Xenogears, by far. It showed me the potential that gaming had as a Story Telling medium.

xTheMuffinManx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 xTheMuffinManx
Member since 2010 • 93 Posts

Age of Empires (PC)

Super Mario 64 (N64)

Tekken 3 (PSX)

Crash Bandicoot 1-3 (PSX)

Crash Team Racing (PSX)

Wrestlemaina 2000 (N64)

Goldeneye (N64)

Perfect Dark (N64)

Mario Cart (N64)

theres much more but cant think of them right now

Panzer_Zwei

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Panzer_Zwei
Member since 2006 • 15498 Posts

Pretty much the '80s SEGA arcade stuff : Space Harrier, Shinobi, Galaxy Force II, Alien Syndrome, Gain Ground, Out Run, Fantasy Zone etc.

CobraKai83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CobraKai83
Member since 2010 • 132 Posts

RING KING (NES) - one of the earliest games I can remember playing. My older brother would pound me all the time but i can still remember those matches

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (GENESIS) - The game that came with MY first system. Played it for hours and hours and will always love that game.

TLoZ: A LINK TO THE PAST (SNES) - My favorite game of all time! I've beaten this game on a few different SNES', my MAC using an emulator and keyboard, and on my netbook with a usb control...

JOHN MADDEN FOOTBALL (MULTI) - my brothers and I have played madden for every system we've owned hundreds of games over 20+ years...

reifresca

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 reifresca
Member since 2010 • 351 Posts
Xenogears (PSX) Final Fantasy VII (PSX) Super Mario Bros (NES) Super Mario Kart (SNES) Chrono Trigger (SNES) Lunar: Silver Star Story Complete (PSX)
Avatar image for TheRaiderNation
TheRaiderNation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheRaiderNation
Member since 2007 • 1653 Posts

Thanks for the thread TC, I def like this topic.

Secret of Mana (SNES) - The game captured me as a gamer with its plot, excellent atmosphere and stellar gameplay. Since I have played this game, I have been a fan of the action RPG genre.

Marvel v.s. Capcom 2 (DC) and Soul Caliber (DC) - I rarely played the fighter genre outside of street fighter, and it was these to games that turned me into someone who loves fighter games. Since I have played these to games, I have been really big on games in the fighter genre.

Resident Evil 4 (GC) - Believe it or not, this was the first resident evil game I had played, and I was hooked. I loved the atmosphere and the pace of the gameplay. Honestly this was really the first game I played of the Survial/Horro genre. Since playing it, I ahve become a pretty big fan of the genre. Honestly, this generation of systems, the games I have played the most are either fighters or survival/horror games.

Devil May Cry - Reminded me why I love in games. Fast paced action, impressive visuals, and challenge!

elgobbes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#46 elgobbes
Member since 2005 • 98 Posts

RING KING (NES) - one of the earliest games I can remember playing. My older brother would pound me all the time but i can still remember those matches

SONIC THE HEDGEHOG (GENESIS) - The game that came with MY first system. Played it for hours and hours and will always love that game.

TLoZ: A LINK TO THE PAST (SNES) - My favorite game of all time! I've beaten this game on a few different SNES', my MAC using an emulator and keyboard, and on my netbook with a usb control...

JOHN MADDEN FOOTBALL (MULTI) - my brothers and I have played madden for every system we've owned hundreds of games over 20+ years...

CobraKai83

Ring King was awesome. I loved uppercutting someone over the ropes.

ubpoker123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 ubpoker123
Member since 2007 • 877 Posts

.Planescape Torment

.Metal Gear Solid

.Okami

TheGreatSasuke

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheGreatSasuke
Member since 2011 • 25 Posts
Mario Allstars Zelda LTTP Terranigma Goldeneye Mystical Ninja series Jet Force Gemini Resident Evil series Metroid Prime Rocket Knight Adventures Shining Force Zelda OOT
2-10-08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 26

#49 2-10-08
Member since 2008 • 2775 Posts

Pokemon Red

Super Mario World

Sonic Adventure

Call of Duty 4

Foulcry

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Foulcry
Member since 2008 • 960 Posts

Mostly RPGS, and Platformers from my childhood. I grew up with an NES and every system after it.

I will say I didn't really get too involved or really interested into RPGS untill FFVII though. Yea I know how very unoriginal of me but I guess I'm just like everyone else in America lol. I got huge into PC gaming when I was around 11 to 18 I'll say. I played a lot of mystery puzzle solving games. I beat all the Myst games. I loved RTS's....Warcraft (before it became the stupid crap that it is now WOW) and Starcraft. I loved FPS's Duke Nukem and Doom. Wasn't a huge fan of Quake though.I don't know I like a little bit of everything. I'm an all around gamer.

I think around those days from 97 to 03 or 04 was the golden age for me for PC gaming. It's been downhill for me since. I don't play on the PC at all and haven't since 04. I wasn't a fan of last gen consoles so PC definately did it for me last gen. This Gen I'm all Consoles but developers are being too safe and nothing new or innovating is really coming out (mostly sequels) so I'm getting bored. I might give up on this Gen sooner then I thought. We'll see I guess. I'm playing FFVIII right now and I have so many brand new games to play yet I rather play FFVIII so what does that tell ya lol.