What Game Do You Wish didn't Receive a Sequel?

SupremeAC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 SupremeAC
Member since 2003 • 7561 Posts

Some games were just so perfect when they were first released, that a sequel is not only superflous, but downright detrimental to the original. What games do you wish never received sequel(s)?

For me, No More Heroes and Pikmin are such games.
NMH2 was a mess. It had no internal logic, which made the game even more (and IMO too) hedonistic. That and the bosses were no fun.
Pikmin on the other hand was just perfect. It's not like 2 and 3 ruined the franchises, but they expanded upon the original's very focused core concept and some of the magic was lost on the way.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#2 Lembu90
Member since 2015 • 665 Posts

Hatred. While I don't think the (racist) developers want to do a sequel but I'm not surprised if there are some demand for it.

Huniepop. Unlike Hatred above this one already had a legitimate sequel but was delayed due to undisclosed reasons. Much like Hatred it should never be made in first place.

Left Alive. I doubt it though but given how much it sold in the west and I'm not surprised SE wants to milk the game by making a sequel for it.

Metal Gear Survive. Just no.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

Tekken should have stopped at Tag Tournament 2.

Tekken 7 is heavy tweaked to compensate and attract the larger 2D Fighter market who never played Tekken. Side steps got heavily nerfed to the point of novelty, and those super moves are really stupid and goes against Katsuhiro Harada sans previous statements on the mechanic.

I don't dislike people who play it, just for the fact Namco sold out to tarnish what they had prior. Which was a deeper and far more rewarding system. Tekken 7 was made to sell towards a more easily assumed market, and in that regard was successful.

Tekken 7 is basically 2.5D. It's glamor over function and that annoys me, considering TTT2 is a glorious masterpiece. But no one bought that gem, only did mildly well in arcades. . so here we are

Robio_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#4 Robio_basic
Member since 2002 • 7059 Posts

Yes, No More Heroes is up there.

Most people didn't play Azure Dreams,a great PS1 rougelike, but about 10 years it got a sequel on the DS that abandoned everything that made it good called Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal.

And what unnecessary sequel list would be complete without ActRaiser 2?

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Lembu90

This one is rather an odd choice, Persona series.

Seriously Atlus should stop milking Persona franchise and let Persona 5 Royal be the last Persona game ever made. The Scramble spin-off/sequel is an evidence that Atlus milking the franchise. Persona series itself start to show its age and a sequel only make matters worse.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 lozengez
Member since 2011 • 490 Posts

Saint's Row the Third and Death Space 2.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lozengez

@Robio_basic:

@Robio_basic said:

Yes, No More Heroes is up there.

Most people didn't play Azure Dreams,a great PS1 rougelike, but about 10 years it got a sequel on the DS that abandoned everything that made it good called Tao's Adventure: Curse of the Demon Seal.

And what unnecessary sequel list would be complete without ActRaiser 2?

I did not mind NMH2, but yeah, should have stopped with one. Good call on Actraiser 2.

Let's hope Deadly Premonition is not a disaster to join the list but... eesh... that first game was lightning in a bottle.

judaspete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By judaspete
Member since 2005 • 7314 Posts

While I don't think the Blitz: The League games were bad, they injected (pun intended) some stuff into series that took a bit of the fun out of it.

Also, Tony Hawk should have probably stopped at Project 8. Maybe even sooner.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

@lembu90 said:

Seriously Atlus should stop milking Persona franchise and let Persona 5 Royal be the last Persona game ever made. The Scramble spin-off/sequel is an evidence that Atlus milking the franchise. Persona series itself start to show its age and a sequel only make matters worse.

Its not just persona but Atlus as whole needs to stop whatever they doing with spin off then. Of course persona got the bad end of the stick due to its recent popularity but Atlus as whole have a habit of rereleasing games and spin off. Spin off like Catherine or SMT or even Vanillaware products, Atlus will rerelease it. For example of recent atlus re releases: Odin Sphere Leiftrasir, Dragon Crown Pro, Catherine Full Body, SMT rereleases on 3DS.

... I am so sorry for your distress on this. I love the Persona series, I buy everything Atlus offer on PlayStation.

lozengez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lozengez

@sakaixx said:
@lembu90 said:

Its not just persona but Atlus as whole needs to stop whatever they doing with spin off then. Of course persona got the bad end of the stick due to its recent popularity but Atlus as whole have a habit of rereleasing games and spin off. Spin off like Catherine or SMT or even Vanillaware products, Atlus will rerelease it. For example of recent atlus re releases: Odin Sphere Leiftrasir, Dragon Crown Pro, Catherine Full Body, SMT rereleases on 3DS.

... I am so sorry for your distress on this. I love the Persona series, I buy everything Atlus offer on PlayStation.

Agreed.

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11674 Posts

@sakaixx said:

For example of recent atlus re releases: Odin Sphere Leiftrasir, Dragon Crown Pro

Yeah this part is faulty information on your part, while Atlus is the publisher they do not really control what Vanillaware does. Atlus just help distribution/ marketing and reap a take on the profit.

Leifthrasir is a heavily re-imagined version of Odin Sphere that Vanillaware wanted to polish-up.

And as I'm concerned Dragon's Crown Pro has no downside, considering all versions of that game are cross-play. Including the remixed soundtrack.

On that note none of this really had any impact on Vanillawares 2019 game 13 Sentinels: Aegis Rim. Which itself is amazing.

sakaiXx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 5

#12 sakaiXx
Member since 2013 • 15943 Posts

@RSM-HQ: sure2. Glad we have a correction.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
deactivated-5e90a3763ea91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 13

#13 deactivated-5e90a3763ea91
Member since 2008 • 9437 Posts

Bionic Commando Re-Armed 2, I remember that being kinda lousy compared to the awesome original.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#15 deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

COD

Metallic_Blade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Metallic_Blade
Member since 2005 • 565 Posts

Condemned 2: Bloodshot

... Now look, despite the franchise being one of my absolute favorite in the horror genre, this game could've been a lot better than what we got. It seemed to start out fine in the beginning, but got too... kinda dumb near the end. Felt way too jarring that the first game left a mysterious unsolved conclusion at the end of it. The 2nd game just shits on it.

Story aside, game ran like crap on the console hardware. Unlike the first game, it never received a proper PC port to help this mess.

I would still be down for a 3rd/ remake of the first game by all means, hell yeah.

Lembu90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Lembu90

Final Fantasy series should have die after 12th one.

CoD game should have die after third one but instead it was rebooted and modernized as Modern Warfare in 2007. This is also where the shit hits the fan.

I also wished that Persona series dies after Scramble as I'm afraid Atlus might take similar path to Square-Enix of milking the franchise.