What ever happened to games "behind the scenes"?

DyanGZB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1 DyanGZB
Member since 2017 • 16 Posts

I've noticed these videos so common even as recently as 2008 have disappeared completely. There are games using pretty interesting technology to create its worlds and they never show it anymore. There are games that have never showed that, like the GTA Series. Why do you think is that?

Speeny

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 34

User Lists: 19

#2 Speeny
Member since 2018 • 3357 Posts

Yeah I agree. I do miss those days. I think from memory if you got 100% in Sly Raccoon 2 you'd get a behind the scenes video. (Might of been the case with 1 also.)

Always nice finding gems on Youtube from 2007-2009 of your favourite video game companies doing their thing. I used to watch the making of Mortal Kombat Deadly Alliance quite a bit. :)

RSM-HQ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 94

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By RSM-HQ
Member since 2009 • 11670 Posts

@dyangzb: Didn't the new God of War heavily show behind the scenes?

Regardless probably because of how connected Gamers are now towards the influence of a games development is far more than back in 2008. So showing early builds and an office isn't really connecting with an audience like small announcements on Twitter.

Also probably to refrain from backlash. More the audience know the more they have to complain. Even those Twitter conversations can make a sensitive Game Designer quit a project along with open Q&As. I would imagine those directing and producing gaming projects want a healthy development cycle without issue from outside sources.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c56012aaa167
deactivated-5c56012aaa167

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#4 deactivated-5c56012aaa167
Member since 2016 • 2538 Posts

They add these behind the scenes stuff into trailers these days.(If they ever put them)

VFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 VFighter
Member since 2016 • 11031 Posts

The first God of War had a lot of behind the scenes stuff and it was fantastic, really wish more games would do this.

Avatar image for Black_Knight_00
Black_Knight_00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#6  Edited By Black_Knight_00
Member since 2007 • 77 Posts

If I'm to guess (aside from the obvious "they cost money and nobody cares"), I'd say two reasons:

1) the gaming industry has moved away from the "we are like hollywood" mindset.

2) work conditions have been deteriorating year after year in this industry (70 hour weeks are more common than they should be), so maybe game companies would rather not shine the spotlight on their overworked employees.

Avatar image for deactivated-63d1ad7651984
deactivated-63d1ad7651984

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#7  Edited By deactivated-63d1ad7651984
Member since 2017 • 10057 Posts

I don't know I still see alot of behind the scenes videos out there just don't expect any from Rockstar they rarely ever have behind the scenes video footage except for a few real old ones. If you want to see some old rare behind the scenes videos there's a real good YT channel called NeoGamer.

NavyIS8896

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 NavyIS8896
Member since 2018 • 22 Posts

@Black_Knight_00: I agree. Video Game Dev's are changing into a greed money machine. They are now using low tech to create triple A games, but telling the public they're using the latest engines. Which I might add that when a company approaches a new engine; they're novices and have to learn the system. Example BioWare and EA. Video Game developers are straying away from single player game formats. The trend: Online multiplayer slaughter house, chit chat with the entire world. It's really called "new" revenue. The generation of game players don't want single player systems. There is no money into building old franchise games on single player formats. Investors want more profit for their buck.

Clefdefa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#9 Clefdefa
Member since 2017 • 750 Posts

you can't unlock shit anymore ... this is why