What do you think will be the next revolution in gaming?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

_IronManDude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 0

#1 _IronManDude_
Member since 2008 • 1595 Posts
Topic. I think it will definately be VR. With the graphical capabilities of today, VR could make gaming very realistic, hence making people want to buy the system.
bahamut_032

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#2 bahamut_032
Member since 2004 • 10305 Posts
Hard to say, but it'd be nice if we can finally reach a milestone in which motion control (as with Nintendo's Wii) is finally complemented by impressive glasses.
mayforcebeyou

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 mayforcebeyou
Member since 2007 • 2703 Posts
i think it would be a new controller that requires more than just clicking buttons and moving your arm around. Such as glasses or a thing that reads your midn.
11Marcel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 11Marcel
Member since 2004 • 7241 Posts
What was the last revolution in gaming? What do you count as a revolution?
sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts
I don't know it's to early to say.
skp_16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 skp_16
Member since 2005 • 3854 Posts

It will totally suck if gaming would become realistic.

TBH, I'm starting to be disappointed in gaming right now because more and more games are becoming realistic graphically and gameplay. IMO Heavy Rain sucks because it almost looks real and for sure that the gameplay will be realistic too.

I want games to remain to look like a game and play like a game until forever. :)

Edit: And hopefully, controllers will still just the only way to play games.

victorwp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 victorwp
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts
For this year, I think there would still be lots of games involving wireless and virtual technologies. I have read reviews about VR games, but it is still now widely accessible. There might be consoles that will get developed using VR technology.
Beagle050

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#8 Beagle050
Member since 2008 • 737 Posts
Levels that aren't boxed in, and great map editing. The only game that does this to date is Novalogic with their Delta Force games, but those only come out every 2-3 years or so.
DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#9 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts
I really hope the future of gaming doesnt involve virtual reality goggles and gloves, etc. it seems like a very unappealing concept to me.
ASK_Story

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ASK_Story
Member since 2006 • 11455 Posts
VR as in virtual reality? I'm sorry but unless science and engineers start using unethical brain tapping technology, I think VR will stay as a science fiction commodity. In other words, there's no way VR can happen. I'm talking about full experienced VR like in real feelings same as dreaming. That's impossible. Anyway, love it or hate it, the Wii is a revolution in gaming. I know it's hard to acknowledge that since Nintendo stands for everything we gamers hate about gaming. But Nintendo still did something miraculous.
HondaSnake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 HondaSnake
Member since 2007 • 502 Posts

I'm not sure myself, but I'd say this is a good start in an interesting direction.

http://www.ocztechnology.com/products/ocz_peripherals/nia-neural_impulse_actuator

Infinite-Zr0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Infinite-Zr0
Member since 2003 • 13284 Posts
I think it will be some sort of VR With the advent of OLED, I think it's possible to make "high def" VR goggles. This could be revolutionary for genres like FPS and racing games. Think about actually controlling a "real" rifle instead of using a mouse and keyboard. And as for racing games, controlling the camera with your head would make the game so much more manageable. Now we can look to exactly where we're turning. Looking in the rear view and side mirror wouldn't be so damn awkward when in cockpit view. You'd be able to have console lan parties. Console lan parties are almost non existent because people just won't go through the time and effort of lugging around TVs to one room so each player can have their own screen. With VR goggles, you just bring the goggles and your console. Everything fits in/on your carrying case. You could probably go on forever, but I really think this is the next viable step in real gaming revolution.
anmvamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#13 anmvamp
Member since 2007 • 99 Posts

2 options

1). videogames become as 'popular' as hollywood movies and produces super realistic games but unfortunately suffer from dull story and ideas for the sake of appealing to the general public... like movies.

2). Videogames undergo a regression and therefore become cheaper and easier to develop as they once were a decade ago. Graphical capabilities decrease, but many more indie companies arise capable of creating games for those who tend to deviate from the mainstream interest.

number 1 looks like the way its going.

_IronManDude_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 _IronManDude_
Member since 2008 • 1595 Posts
What was the last revolution in gaming? What do you count as a revolution?11Marcel
I guess it went like this: Pong (video games) Nintendo (home video games) Gameboy (handheld games) Playstation (first REAL 3D games) DS (portable 3D games, touch control) Wii (motion control)
It will totally suck if gaming would become realistic...skp_16
Yeah, probably. But imaging a game like Doom 3, or something. You're wearing a VR helmet, looking around using your head, aiming a gun. All of a sudden, a huge monster demolishes a wall, rubble is piled on the floor, and dust is clouding around you, and the yet-unseen monster. Suddenly, your head shakes, and rattles, and the monster has just killed you. Your world goes black. I imagine a revolution will be less HUD screens, less "game-over" screens, and generally less 80's style stuff.
...Nintendo stands for everything we gamers hate about gaming...ASK_Story
How so?
SpaceMoose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15 SpaceMoose
Member since 2004 • 10789 Posts

3D displays. They've existed for years, and I mean ones where you don't need glasses.

The latest World of Warcraft patch even supports some sort of 3D display technology already (which unfortunately does require glasses, in addition to the 3D monitor and a graphics card that supports it). That's not exactly what I'm talking about, but I'm just saying it's already here in an early form.

This HDTV stuff kind of makes me laugh. They are probably going to be obsolete almost as soon as everyone has one, if they even get that far.

one_on_one

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 208

#16 one_on_one
Member since 2008 • 2368 Posts
I think having one system that can play any and every games from other systems would be a revolution, I doubt that would happen, but it would be awesome.